Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What do you do when, a couple of months from release, you realize that you recorded a shitton of VO by a "diverse" cast 13th-rate actors, 95% of which sucks? Do you release as is? or do you cut out all but the most essential of the VOs?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Keep in mind that Pillars is a very long game, even longer with TWM, which also has more VO (always quality spending of money there), with less funding. It also didn't have SO MANY WORDS, not as many anyway. So, yes, what the fuck happened? Why is this game so mangled?

all the money from the tworment ks went into developing wasteland 2, then they wanted to inject the bard's tale 4 money into tworment but bt4 got a lot less than they'd expected, and so the end result is what it is

Nicer GUI, NPC portraits and all that VO!
Video from 2015.
Dammit I was so fucking hyped.. like a virginal teenage girl being introduced to Justin Bieber in the backstage.

What the fuck happened to those amazing portraits? And the UI...

I remember when I first saw this trailer, I was so hyped. Fuck you inXile, I hope they crash and burn:argh:

wasn't the original W2 UI better as well? How do these people do this, do they originally just make a limited, non-adjustable, aesthetically superior UI purely for demo purposes, or are they complete morons.

UI design improving over the course of development seems such an intuitive thing

bSQGG0G.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I only noticed now, there are only three places on the entire Sagus Cliffs where you can enter a building, the starting area, the fifth eye and the Order of the truth and all of those are minuscule places, one small room... ohh, there is a dungeon too, that is so small that can almost fit on a zoom out screen. I think that sea was serious about his bragging of Inxile cutting useless shit like dungeons, why not remove all inside locations to cut this filler crap already?:lol:
I think I know what the perfect Torment game should be: one room and one NPC with multiple personalities. Instead of doing useless shit like going through game areas, we can have the whole RPG play out in prose right? Conversations, skill checks, combat? It will be so artsy and deep, won't it? Only for real fans of the franchise! :lol:

It's quite shocking how Obsidian managed to build a bigger game, with more content, a new setting, new ruleset, building the technology almost from scratch, creating a lot more locations and maps with a slightly lesser budget in 2 year and a half, while inXile took Obsidian's tech, a pre-existing setting and ruleset, made a shorter game and managed to look poor in comparison, despite taking four years to release the game.
That's Josh Sawyer's superior team management skills and experience. I'm not being sarcastic. I often say PoE was rushed half-baked out of the oven, without AI, unbalanced, with unedited text, with unintentionally shitty combat. But given that Obsidian were learning the technology as they went, and had to work on fulfilling silly stretch goals, it's a wonder they even managed to get out the game we got on the 26th March 2015.

Another reason I have more respect for Sawyer is because I've seen him say in every interview where the question was brought up, that they worked on the stretch goals with a priority, because they had promised them and because people had paid for them. Contrast this with inXile's behavior.

BTW, after seeing the original UI, I now agree -- the guy who designed that black shit we have now should not be let to work on UI ever. I don't care that the black shit doesn't touch the screen edges and it's easier to scale in different resolutions. You were hired to make it work motherfucker, not to cut corners!

Last edited:
Remember that quest from Pillars with the dead boy you had to search for and the drunk father in the inn...I was so hooked on that quest.You could even avenge the family by killing the guy that did it. Loved it.
I didn't have that kind of moments in TTON and I did a lot of the quests. It's like I just went through the game but I don't remember much of it.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

"Some say gamers hate to read."

Well, they clearly took the opinion of "some" a little far by amputating the game in conclusion.

"Some say the RPG genre is dead..and to that we say...what does the G stand for again?" - InXile.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
BTW, after seeing the original UI, I now agree -- the guy who designed that black shit we have now should not be let to work on UI ever. I don't care that the black shit doesn't touch the screen edges and it's easier to scale in different resolutions. You were hired to make it work motherfucker, not to cut corners!

That would be the Codex's own sea !

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'll definitely give the game a replay once the Director's Cut goes live (whoever knows when), but I really don't understand the reason behind wanting to go anything but a nano, if you actually care about the story and character interaction.
It's a real shame the way they handled Sagus Cliffs as the place feels very much like a boring zoo. The Bloom is a far, far more interesting and fun place, in comparison. Why even design Sagus like some syfy greek city?

I really hope the DC will allow you to get rid of backer content. I wonder how much of Sagus' content would be left.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
but I really don't understand the reason behind wanting to go anything but a nano, if you actually care about the story and character interaction.
Yeah that's how hard they fucked this up. Instead of different character types experiecing the main content in different ways and having some exclusive content, it's play high int nano with mind reading ability and get the full package or reroll one.

$10 says they will end up hiring a pink hair feminist whale.

Duuuuh, that's who the audience liking this game are. One of their writers is also one. Why don't they hire a tranny actually? Or they don't have the balls to do that?

I once knew a tranny who played tyranny becuase she/he thought it's a game about BDSM with trannys.
You should have seen her face when she discovered she can't stick her dick inside the characters in the game.

Who said that Tyranny and Torment have nothing in common?!

Who cares it is only for console idiots. Good for inXile for milking those fucking peons.

From what I was told, this armor is also included in all the retail versions of the game, PC included.

6a4a9a281a0840dca8849b911a3c45a6.png

So it was definitely Techland's idea.

Fuck retail buyers too. Who the fuck goes to the store to buy a PC game when there is a shitload of ways to do it without wasting time, gas, and energy.

People without internet who just want to buy a game that force them to have internet connection while playing.

Nicer GUI, NPC portraits and all that VO!
Video from 2015.
Dammit I was so fucking hyped.. like a virginal teenage girl being introduced to Justin Bieber in the backstage.

What the fuck happened to those amazing portraits? And the UI...

I remember when I first saw this trailer, I was so hyped. Fuck you inXile, I hope they crash and burn:argh:

It's really weird.

The GUI in the trailer is much better than the one in the finished version.

even-though it's not perfect either...

That would be the Codex's own sea !

Awkward.

We should have an Awkward icon!

There's too much awkwardness in this forum!

I once knew a tranny who played tyranny becuase she/he thought it's a game about BDSM with trannys.
You should have seen her face when she discovered she can't stick her dick inside the characters in the game.
:updatedmytxt:
Has anyone else ever seen "her" face mr. Monologue?

Nah...
She wore latex all over her fat body and face.
but it was worth it!!!

To watch her trying to get off the latex... priceless...
I meant CRISIS!

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh , and looks like it finally achieved "Mixed" rating on Steam.

Well then folks. It's time we light a candle for Brian and co.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom