Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's not incriminating evidence for murder.

opium fiend

Augur
Can someone put up the link to Inspiring Presence sound effect? I hear people are killing themselves over it :D

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That's not incriminating evidence for murder.

When you talk to Prata in the Circus area and press her for more info, she reveals that the one she saw was muttering something about red circles before the murder occured.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Severe lack of VA throughout the game, and good VA aswell. Major NPC should have voices, as a minimum.

how's that a bad thing

Because I expect most AA/AAA cRPGs to have some form of quality VA work. VA work gives the game life and depth. PoE had decent VA, and even the classics had a fair bit of VA (Fallout etc, Arcanum, even P:ST.)
:killit:

To be fair, while the majority of voice acting is overrated, having enough to provide memorable atmosphere is very enjoyable and something which did enhance the IE games these games are supposed to emulate. I mean, as soon as you hear "Updated my journal" in that voice, it's something really special, let alone all the other character voices.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Speaking of things that are good as opposed to just things that are shit, I really like the whole Lost Anchorage thing and the crisis there was cool.

Then the catena...
I like how you put it up in your labyrinth thing and you can use it to unlock one of the maws. I'm also kinda curious what happens, if anything, if you just use the transinterspacialdimensionalwhatever blade to open all the maws.

Malpercio

Arcane
I think he means that you don't give the reasons to Fulsome for why you believe that person is guilty. I already forgot if you actually do after selecting one of them or Fulsome just goes "k, i believe everything you say".
Yes, that's what bothers me.

Like, why bother and even putting up a reward if you are just taking my words without asking for ANY clue?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I misremembered how well Tyranny did in its first week of release.

kbmBkRf.png

Overall, Torment probably did slightly better than Tyranny though a) it had a 48,000 head start b) it cost millions more to develop.

Hellion

Arcane
Speaking of things that are good as opposed to just things that are shit, I really like the whole Lost Anchorage thing and the crisis there was cool.

Then the catena...
I like how you put it up in your labyrinth thing and you can use it to unlock one of the maws. I'm also kinda curious what happens, if anything, if you just use the transinterspacialdimensionalwhatever blade to open all the maws.

If you use that, I think you
make the Bloom "hate you more" or something like that, and the encounter at its heart theoretically becomes more difficult. If you've treated the Bloom with respect or even helped it along the way (like siding with those Cultists when they want to shut down the scientist who's actively studying the Bloom), you might not even have to fight anyone when you drop down to the Heart level.

ArchAngel

Arcane

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's also funny how that works on companions that aren't in your party. Even on Rhin, when she's still hidden in that building, if you get close you see the text popping up over the building.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Starwars

Arcane
Just finished the game. All in all I liked it quite a lot more than I expected (especially considering the news about the game during the time leading up to release) but it had some problems too.

-The writing was mostly good and managed to channel the Torment feel well. There are a few sections where it dips.

-I did not enjoy the main story a great deal though. PS:T unfolded a lot more smoothly I think and the initial mystery was much stronger. I also think it handled the weirdness a *lot* better. This game can really feel literally like "well, let's throw a bunch of cool and weird ideas into it and see what happens". Especially in the endgame, I just feel they completely failed to deliver something that felt coherent. What twists unfolded were not very effective either.

-Companions were... alright I guess? Definitely not as strong as I would expect from a game like this. I think I liked Rhin's story the most but even so... eeeh. Erritis was pretty disappointing all in all. Tybir was not good and Callistege was just... there. Didn't bring the others along.

-While the game varies in quality (again, it dips a lot near the end), there was never a "Curst moment" where there was a big area which was just a slog to get through and which felt much, much worse than the rest of the game.

-The sound design is fucking awful. Music is pretty nice but I found myself wanting more of it.

-It managed to find PS:T pace. To think it can be a lot of fun just running around talking to weird organisms. It feels slowpaced and nice to play. That said, there are just too many weird objects to interact with... feels more like a themepark at times.

-The crisis system has nice ideas but the execution is just garbage. Slow, unresponsive, buggy, messy and takes fucking forever.

-Skill system is kinda fun but felt way unbalanced. Were *very* few checks I did not succeed at.

-Reactivity and ways to solve quests is much better than PS:T. Probably the biggest improvement over that game. Very nice.

-The meres were awesome.

All in all I enjoyed the game a lot but some disappointing issues drag it down rather a lot unfortunately. In terms of the recent 2d background isometrics, I found this to be way better than Tyranny but quite a lot worse than Pillars.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, the companions are a major letdown. While none of them was horribad, only a few were good and none really extraordinary like several in PST.

Like people said, having one of the psychic warriors come along or the Genocide guy or the Toy or a robot would have been awesome. WTF were they thinking?

Gruncheon

Savant
Yeah, the companions are a major letdown. While none of them was horribad, only a few were good and none really extraordinary like several in PST.

Like people said, having one of the psychic warriors come along or the Genocide guy or the Toy or a robot would have been awesome. WTF were they thinking?

It's pretty crazy. You keep coming across NPCs where you'll be like "why couldn't I get him instead?". I would've happily taken the legal clerk outside the Sagus Government buildings over Tybir. Amazing that of ALL the possibilities of TOTAL creative freedom they chose 6 humans, few of whom really illustrate anything about the world.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Overall, Torment probably did slightly better than Tyranny though a) it had a 48,000 head start b) it cost millions more to develop.
I'd say this means Torment did worse, considering the milions have been provided by 80k backers 4 years ago.

almondblight

Arcane
Eventually they took a long hard look at the game, started slashing areas, and released an Early Access for emergency funds that was the third of the game they'd already done and made it seem like it was 1/5th of the game instead of literally a third.

The thing is, the game was only in production for a few months when they starting cutting content. Production didn't start until 1.5 years after the KS because they were waiting for the WL2 team to finish. So it starts in earnest at the beginning of 2015, and by August of that year we have Ziets talking about problems created from multiple rounds of cuts to Torment. That means at most the game had 9-10 months of production before they started making cuts, and it's possible that content started getting cut at the beginning.

Then right after that (~11 months of development) Saunders is out and Keenan the closer is in, saying that he's going to try to get the game out in 2016. Which means he was planning for 1.5 - 2 years of development time. Early access came a few months after that, so I doubt the EA reception had any effect on the decision to rush things. It's also not clear that the idea to start cutting things saved a lot of time, since Ziets says it created a number of problems that needed to be fixed (not surprising; you can't just cut out 1/3 of the game and expect production to take 1/3 less time).

Despite the delay caused by WL2, it seems that Fargo wasn't interested in delaying Torment enough to give the production the time it needs. This seems to fit into Fargo's philosophy that you can just do everything in pre-production and pop it into the game on a rushed production schedule (see his comments during WL2's KS). Also worth noting that as soon as Torment started production, resources were being moved to Bard's Tale IV pre-production.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom