Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #66: Post-Release Plans

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This game will make its sales gradually over years.

A lot of post-release attention will do it well.

This game is a constant revenue stream. There's a lot worthwhile in it and there's nothing else really like it on the market, or like to be. It is never really going to stop selling, particularly not with content updates.

Who the fuck is this dumbfuck and why is he posting freely?

Advocating "post-release attention" and "content updates" in a fucking story-driven RPG visual novel. OH GOLLY GEE WILLIKERS, I CAN HARDLY AWAIT THE 3.1 PATCH FOR LORD OF THE RINGS!

Remove this fucking cancer from the forums already.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Man there's a lot of hate for inXile. Still haven't really played Torment (only a few hours of Sagus Cliffs) but what I did play was enjoyable and refreshingly different from the usual RPG fare thanks to setting and writing. Where does all this anger stem from? Because of the cut content controversy? Is the game reeeaally that bad as to call it shovelware?
Dunno. An RPG without stats and combat. Not to mention other things that's wrong with it. It's not a shovelware, but there's nothing to praise it for.

waveplay

Literate
Man there's a lot of hate for inXile. Still haven't really played Torment (only a few hours of Sagus Cliffs) but what I did play was enjoyable and refreshingly different from the usual RPG fare thanks to setting and writing. Where does all this anger stem from? Because of the cut content controversy? Is the game reeeaally that bad as to call it shovelware?
Dunno. An RPG without stats and combat. Not to mention other things that's wrong with it. It's not a shovelware, but there's nothing to praise it for.

I understand that people who want good combat in their RPGs would find it a real issue with the game. But then, it's kind of the whole pitch for a Torment game, isn't it? The focus is decidedly on dialog at the expense of (good) combat.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I understand that people who want good combat in their RPGs would find it a real issue with the game. But then, it's kind of the whole pitch for a Torment game, isn't it? The focus is decidedly on dialog at the expense of (good) combat.
Except the non combat parts are between bad to average with very rare good parts.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Both are not mutually exclusive and dont prevent each other. I can undestand less focus on combat and charater systems, but I don't understand lack of it. Then there's no character progress, no gratification and rewards for combat or sense of real accomplishment (it feels like everything is a reward for participation) and also causes other problems.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
How many seconds a critical comment survives on InXile's forum? Two seconds? Less than one second? A nano second? Or this guy is a prodigy and can really read comments on less than two seconds or he isn't reading any real feedback at all.

You are being harsh on this one, even on their own forum there are a lot of negative comments and mods haven't shut them down.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Fargo never failed to deliver right? Let's trust him once more.

And BTW, where are the apologists that said the cuts were for the "gameplay sake"?

That's speculation at best or willful ignorance at worst. You have too little information on the whole project to make such statements about it being incomplete/broken. Additionally, right now you also do not know how the cut content would affect the overall quality of the product. Not saying that you could not be right (except crafting, that shit is ridiculous), but again right now you lack info.

Who are they? And the joke is that the cut content didn't affect the quality...

Last edited:
It might turn out a great game post director's cut, but I think ultimately T:TON has too much reading for my taste in RPG's.

I think I'll stick to BT4 and W3.

himmy

Arcane
Its Steam user review score is at 69% and falling

What's really funny is that many of those bad reviews are of the "reading is teh hard" and "this is not bioware" variety, which would be roundly mocked on the Codex on any given day. But since they hate the same thing we hate, albeit for very different reasons, they get a pass as THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN, DEMOCRACY IN ACTION!

TTON is an amazing experience!
I really enjoy playing it.

I guess lots of people here upset because a few things:
1. InXile "had the nerve" to publish TTON as a successor to Planescape. (And nothing, except MCA farts, can match this MASTERPIECE).
2. They cut lots of content, and they hide it from their backers.
3. People here really hate Fargo because they believe his a money whore.
4. Some people here think they know what it takes to make the perfect RPG and they don't understand why gaming companies find that so hard to execute it.

I can't blame people here.

But I don't give a shit about all that.
All I care about is if I enjoy playing TTON.
And I truly am.

And after InXile update I'm more optimistic then ever about the game...

I can't convince someone who didn't like it - to like it.
And frankly I don't care.
If someone here thinks that Underrail, AOD, DA:I or even Alpha protocol are the best games ever... Be my guest.

As long there are a variety of good games - my brain is calm :)
And TTON, for me, is a rare (flawed) gem.
But it's still a pretty amazing gem.

---

Arcane

1. InXile "had the nerve" to publish TTON as a successor to Planescape. (And nothing, except MCA farts, can match this MASTERPIECE).
4. Some people here think they know what it takes to make the perfect RPG and they don't understand why gaming companies find that so hard to execute it.

And I truly am.

If someone here thinks that Underrail, AOD, DA:I or even Alpha protocol are the best games ever... Be my guest.

Sounds like we have a new
fanboy.png

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

5. The game is shit

And I truly am.

Sounds like we have a new
fanboy.png

And a proud one.
If I like it... Than I like it.
No emo reviewer from IGN nor 1,000,000 parrots codexer will tell me how to feel about a game.

If I play it and I like it... Than that's the only thing that matters to me.

Who are they? And the joke is that the cut content didn't affect the quality...

Just an example:

Even if it reduces the quality of the end product significantly? (I do not have proof that's its the case here, just talking about a priciple) Do you know that some times stuff just doesn't work out? Anyway, if that's the case I am glad they shoved their middle findger down you ass. Go play POE for all that stretched greatness...

It isn't a joke, it's a fact. After the content's cuts the argument was that nobody wanted them anyway, now that it looks like they're coming back somehow, the game will be fully complete in its greatness. Amazing logic.

The irony of it is that these announcements only make potential buyers hold their money for the "complete" version, so one way or another Fargo delivers again.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
If I like it... Than I like it. No emo reviewer from IGN nor 1,000,000 parrots codexer will tell me how to feel about a game.
If I play it and I like it... Than that's the only thing that matters to me.
I support your attitude and i like your reaction towards the fanboy tag.
But for me Torment is not a good cRPG. Sadly. T:ToN shows that some people have simply lost their mojo, or are just lazy bums.

Lictor

Novice
This is really big fiasco . GOG still don't have backer content

Still those excuses :/ Really ?

hPTGUJb.png

Also sent same message to all developers as PM and even no response at all .

yK20obx.jpg

And mods threatening people like this :) How nice .

Habbonovio

Educated

It's not. It's enjoyable, well written and the setting is superb imo; companions are flat and almost boring, but most of the NPCs are interesting and the interactions are gratifying.

But it also has obvious capital flaws and InXile cutting content and not delivering achieved stretch goals doesn't help to ease the people's anger.

And, of course, a vocal minority of manichaeistic users just enjoy bitching loudly about those problems, magnifying them and ignoring on purpose the good aspects.

I blame the post-2010 /v/ cynism culture.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

hPTGUJb.png

yK20obx.jpg

Exactly why I hate forums with active moderation, especially once I found this place. Moderators tend to become drunk with power in many other forums.

Whiteshade

Barely Literate

hPTGUJb.png

yK20obx.jpg

I supported Torment when i saw it was DRM-free back in kickstarter campaing. I thought I would get all the backer exclusives but ofcourse no. They are threating GoG consumers like crap like other companies do they are not exception. I mean look at this even ps4 owners that not backed the game at campaing got those backer bonuses but not GoG users.

And now look at this message of the moderator it's really frustrating they are wrong but moderator came out smelling like a rose...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom