Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: Tides of Numenera

hivemind

based fargo scamming a bunch of retards again

Heretic

Cipher
They need someone who knows how to properly manage such a project. You guys know who I am talking about, don't you?

joshsawyer1.jpg

A man worth more than five million KS bucks.
Every torment needs its Guido.

AlexT

Novice
I'm wondering why nobody complained about that bullshit ending? Anything good and bad about TTON just pales in comparison with that. To remind you, it goes something like this:
-Hi Sorrow, why're killing us
-Well, you're just bad guys, ya'll. You start wars and killing and stuff
-Yeah, we're humans alright, why not kill all of them
-No, you're so bad, you even hurt your companions when you were born
-So does every child to his mother
-Anyway, you abuse the tides to do bad things, that is just soooo bad, I'll kill every one of you
-Yea-yea, we got that humans are horrible and use weapons and stuff, pollute environment and make a world a worse place to live. But I for example used tides to help that levy erase his horrible memories, and there's one castoff that never uses tides and is a very good human
-Silence, you idiot! You all do bad things to others just by living

OMG, that's just so full of sh*t! So basically castoffs are bad ... just because, and all of us needs to die because of it. This reminds me of a famous tale by Russian fabulist Krylov about wolf and sheep, and wolf blaming the sheep for more and more ridiculous things she never did. At the end he tells that she's to blame just because he wants to eat. But here we're supposed to feel bad about our never-done wrongdoings.

But wait, we can choose out own fate, and Sorrow tells us that it needs to be in correspondence to our choices during the game. So, one choice is to merge all castoffs to one, who is supposed to be soo good, he never abuses tides again. OMG, you just told us that we're so bad, we create suffering just by living, every one of us! If I'm so good, why the f*ck were you trying to kill me several times? Forget it, let's just test reactivity, and see what happens on different choices. First choice, and Sorrow tells us that it indeed correnspondes to your choices. Ok, second choice - "Hm, this is not what you did during the whole game, but nevermind, I just do whatever you want". WTF. Everything you did during last 20 hours means nothing, cause it's too cruel to make player regret his choices in a game about regret.

Deleted member 7219

You kidding? That's the one you picked?

Oh I'm sorry, I should've picked the unused alternate theme of Smoldering Corpse Bar, the most obscure and prestigious track that only true PST fans would know about.

Deionarra's Theme is ok, but if I was to criticise Numenera's music it wouldn't be for the soft, reflective tracks. Numenera has those (though none like Torment's best, which for me is Annah's Theme). No, the criticism Numenera most deserves is the lack of a main theme.

The first Torment had this, which gets better every time you hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You kidding? That's the one you picked?

Oh I'm sorry, I should've picked the unused alternate theme of Smoldering Corpse Bar, the most obscure and prestigious track that only true PST fans would know about.

Deionarra's Theme is ok, but if I was to criticise Numenera's music it wouldn't be for the soft, reflective tracks. Numenera has those (though none like Torment's best, which for me is Annah's Theme). No, the criticism Numenera most deserves is the lack of a main theme.

The first Torment had this, which gets better every time you hear it. Dem layers.

Although the music is not as great as PS:T, the song in the main menu fucking makes me want to mute, it starts too loud. In Wasteland 2 Morgen didn't manage to reach Fallout potential and now Torment, so I guess it's fair to say that the man should be ignored, I am liking more the soundtrack in Underrail.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Low effort review. It's literally 5 full pages of whining without as much as an attempt of articulating the many problems with the game.

This is not the quality I came to expect from Codex.

:2/5:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Low effort review. It's literally 5 full pages of whining without as much as an attempt of articulating the many problems with the game.

This is not the quality I came to expect from Codex.

:2/5:

I disagree, there was an attempt. Did you see the outline he originally submitted? All those points were expanded on to some extent.

Prime Junta

Can't speak for the outcome but I assure you there was effort. It was hard to write. It kept wanting to turn into a 15-page laundry-list of everything wrong with the game, and I did not want to inflict that on the world. So I focused on the things most wrong with it, and attempted to articulate those. I would have preferred to keep it to 3 pages or so, but that was not to be.

Edit: Put another way, since my main criticism of the game is that it mistakes length for quality, I didn't want to make that mistake in the review. Preferred to make other mistakes instead.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Pretty shit review from Prime Cuckta, eh. I would've appreciated a more in depth review of how exactly the game is bad, especially considering a title such as this, and especially from a tier 1 site such as the KODEX.

Last edited by a moderator:

Israfael

Arcane
I think Germans have a saying for a total failure - "At least he was diligent" or something like that. This '1.2 million words' phrase from the advertisement says it all. It was probably too optimistic to expect anything more considering that the leadership in the project changed multiple times and probably the publisher kindly asked inEptile to streamline game a bit for a broader audience. Someone told me that all the dialogue checks are literally maxed out in the first hour of the game and that the effort points are worthless. Probably it's true.
and it wasn't a chore to interact with even in that deeply flawed 1.0 release
:dead:
Every torment needs its Herve.
FTFY

PS I suspect it suffers from the same problem both PoE and Tyranny had - empty, lifeless world that does not really interact with you (including companions). Maybe it's engine's fault, maybe it's concious design choice, maybe it's something else - but add that to the classic 'checkbox design' (tm) VD, and it amounts to a mediocre experience

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Who edited this piece of shit review, anyway? Just right off the bat I detected two obvious errors. "– dubbed Crises –" is used twice within three paragraphs (a glaring fuck up), and more basic grammatical issues such as the misuse of a hyphen in 'put-together' stand out. I'm sure I'll find more if I can make it through without dying of boredom first. Edit 1: you also use a colon far too much (no pun intended: not really).

Also thanks a lot for spoiling the nature of the end of the game for us you moron.

Edit 2: "last-minute" wrong.

Edit 3 (see, I'm a good editor): "In some cases it feels like these were last-minute cuts: for example..." colon inappropriate, grade school-level mistake. Bro are you even college educated?

Edit 4: "Sound design is similarly insipid: you would imagine..." You did it again. I'm not going to even continue.

This review is unfit for Codex' front page. Take it down and clean it up before too many people notice it and we get a bad repu... oh, forget it. We already let him in. Infinitron, you IDIOT.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Crispy do you have access to the content forum? 'Cuz those are good catches and I would have appreciated somebody pointing them out pre-publication.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom