Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Whoever is using the jewboy alt... You got me bro, I took the bait hook, line and sinker. Excellent trolling sir 10/10. :salute:

Yes I am an alt for tunguska, little man. You do like Dragon Age don't you? Why not just admit it? You were willing to admit you liked Pillars which is like admitting to at least some degree of retardation. But I guess liking Dragon Age is admitting to going full retard. Or maybe you are too young to have even played Dragon Age. I guess it's possible. If so go play it I promise you will love it.

What the fuck is wrong with DA:I or with Pillars?!

Both are great games in my opinion.

They both have some ups and downs, but I really enjoyed playing them.

The more I read posts in this forum, the more I believe that some people here played only few games in their life...
And not because they don't have time or money, but because they think most of the games are shit!

Man, I remember playing Digger and Bubble Bubble when I was just a little kid.
Stupid games, but I had a blast!

Unlike lots of guys here, I judge a game only after playing it.
And it doesn't have to be RPG!

Take the Walking Dead season 1 from Telltale for example - great personal story, great C&C - no RPG.
Cried at the end.

There are so many good games out there...

And I think some of you miss all those games because all of the wrong reasons.

There's only one way to judge a game - PLAY IT.

This goes to all the people here who calling some games SHIT without even playing them...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
You guys distain for actual rpgs is my indicator you dislike rpgs.
Criticism of one particular RPG you enjoy ≠ Universal disdain for RPGs.

Compare posts about the release of rpgs to posts about the release of Asian games or console games.
Yes, a genre specific, gaming website, provides freelance reviews and unmoderated discussion to said genre, as a whole. What the fuck is your point, that dissenting opinions should be regulated?
Nevermind, of course that's your point.
Wouldn't it be nice if an rpg site had people on staff that actually liked rpgs? It seems like the function of this site is to be edgy and full of drama instead of being an rpg site.
If this isn't apparent to you then you are the target audience for this review.
Target audience of this review = Anyone willing to read objective criticism, of something they may or might not like. Not that you would understand. Didn't you just “skim through it” after being outraged by two lines?

2)The top 70 list means little when the above point is relevant and topical now.
Hey plank, it means a lot when you claim the core of this website “dislikes RPGs” and has no established standards - ignoring a solid list aggregated by user votes. But, according to you, Prime Junta is simply:
writing hit pieces because I'm a fucking retard that wants to hurt the genre and the games I want.
So apparently, holding a CRPG to any high standard set in said genre, including that of it’s predecessor in this case, is hurting the game and genre as a whole and is the approach of someone just edgy and full of drama.

We should instead adopt your view of highlighting irrelevant platforms and I.P - discontent extinguished because: “there is a new Legend of Zelda.”

If you were an adult or not retarded you would understand points and arguments. Me trying to be reasonable with you is futile.

Haha! You're the reasonable one, how exactly? Your points and arguments amount to:

"You can criticise CRPGs all you like, as long as it's in accordance to what I am ok with and what doesn’t rustle my fuzzy feelings. Otherwise you're a retarded twelve year-old that likes Zelda, hates Jews and supports Palestine."

:lol:

Fuck off back to Disneyland, Stasi boy.

Yet again you fail to actually address a point like a non-retard. Lets stick with the very first quote of mine you responded to. You don't get it - console trash and generic Asian games that have about as much rpg in it as my ballsack isn't an rpg. How many of your precious top 10 games are challengingless console trash for fucking retards?

You do not see the difference because you don't like rpgs. You like console games and Asian games. It doesn't matter to you if a real rpg developer closes its door because you still have plenty of games to play and being made. I do not. People who actually like rpgs do not.

You fail to address you are just like the fucking retards I argued with when W&W was released, when Arcanum was released, when PoR was released, when ToEE was released, and when Bloodlines was released. You fucking idiots closed the best rpg developers for child level console trash. You are them. They had fun shitty all over Troika because they were having so much fun playing Dungeon Siege, KotOR, Dragon Age, Fallout: BOS, BG: Dark Alliance, Oblivion, and having the fucking times of your lives on your kid's console games for retards and people who actually don't like rpgs.

What you are saying is you and your kind being obnoxious idiots, reveling over how much you are hurting a real rpg game developer is like super cool and hip so normal people with brains who want more rpgs to be made should shut up. Well, fuck you. You can suck my dick you stupid fuck.

What happened to Australia? Didn't they used to have real men? They are completely emasculated now like the rest of Europe and they seem to love it. Well, you and your friends here have fun being rpg-hating pussies.

Asian RPGs are great! They are the past(Chrono Trigger), the present(ZELDA!) and the future(Nier: Automata)! The word CRPG now stands for Console Role-Playing Game.
Genrefags BTFO

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You fail to address you are just like the fucking retards I argued with when W&W was released, when Arcanum was released, when PoR was released, when ToEE was released, and when Bloodlines was released. You fucking idiots closed the best rpg developers for child level console trash. You are them. They had fun shitty all over Troika because they were having so much fun playing Dungeon Siege, KotOR, Dragon Age, Fallout: BOS, BG: Dark Alliance, Oblivion, and having the fucking times of your lives on your kid's console games for retards and people who actually don't like rpgs.
"The Codex litteraly created a lolocaust!"

You just went full retard, Roqua. The Codex does not have that power. Troika's games were rightly criticized for their flaws, and rightly loved for their strengths. And the console trash you quote was widely criticized here, your memory is being selective. KotOR escaped it the most because Star Wars, also somehow some morons liked DA in a year where nothing good came out. Otherwise, those games are villified here, or written off as "meh" at best.

jewboy

Arbiter
YES!:
When you say that you like "crpgs" are you including Dragon Age in that category? I don't see how encouraging developers like Bioware or Bethesda to keep churning out games targeting brain-dead preteen console gamers who hate complexity and are all about popamole button mashing is going to help. I cannot play any of those games. So why should I care what genre they are in? I don't think it is at all useful to try to get more games in the cRPG genre if they all suck. If anything it will teach kids without exposure to the older type of game that all cRPGs are simplistic button-mashing popamole. For me popamole with stats and leveling is not superior to popamole without them because I won't play either one. I don't play popamole. It's boring. I mean maybe when I was 7 I might have enjoyed a bit of it for a while, but it still would have gotten old after a while.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
This goes to all the people here who calling some games SHIT without even playing them...
I have a feeling that this is even worse. Most of the naysayers probably played all these games for dozens, even hundreds of hours, enjoyed them for an extent, and then came here saying how shit it was.

1: "Lol you haven't even played the game and yet you hate it"

2: "If the game is bad then why have you played it so much?"

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Yeah, but the changes in PoE 3.0+ are very different to the WL2 differences, quantitatively and qualitatively.

WL2 fine-tuned some balance issues, changed how armour v laser weapons worked, and made massive alterations to encounter design. Changes to the actual rule system were fairly minor. E.g. the same attributes still affect the same things.

PoE 3.0 changes go all the way down to basic attributes. 'Stats that boosted dodge now boost accuracy' kind of alteration. Again, not saying that it's necessarily going to make the game good if you hated it (though for me it was enough to turn it from 'shit' to 'pretty good'), but it's a remarkably different ruleset. I can't think of any comparably massive alteration.

If PoE 3.0 was a sequel to PoE 1.0, it would still be a massive alteration to the rules. It's not fine-tuning balance, it's completely changing the stat/attribute/class rules.

WL2 Directors Cut did far more to improve the engine and encounter design than PoE 3.0. If you're expecting that type of alteration, you'll be disappointed. PoE 3.0 does improve encounter design somewhat (mostly by changing the resistances to take out a lot of cheese, and make optional dragon fights much harder) and adds a fuckload of quest content (eg stronghold quest chain that leads to army v army battle using the factions you've allied with + mercenaries purchased, etc). But most of the important changes are to the fundamental system rules, not the engine or encounter philosophy.

I understand what you are saying but in both cases, but I personally had problems with the core systems rather than some minor parts of it. In WL 2 I hated the attribute system, very very much. It's convoluted, overloaded, overlapping and has the end result is that it's impact to the game is minimal. I am not even talking even about feats/perks and skills. Which I hated in WL2 so badly for a huge number of reasons. Compare it to FO system. If you don't have perception you can't become a sharpshooter no matter how you try to compensate with other stats. They couldn't change the system. Cause that would have basically meant redoing the whole game. So they went with encounter design, because that's what they could do, but the core was weak and so the end result was subpar.

Now POE is a completely different story. First of all POE has many classes which makes it that much harder to balance if they are asymmetric. By asymmetric I mean that you have totally different abilities with totally different dmg, but at the end everything is relatively balanced. That's very hard to do. The best games that do that imo is Starcraft 1-2, where all races are different (buildings, units, unit costs, dmg types, build requirements), but are still balanced and can compete in PRO tournaments. So when JS declared his crusade on balance, I was scared that we are going to end with something like Supreme Commander where everything is fucking the same and thus balanced. My nightmares came true when I saw that cursed attribute system, where everything is meaningless (0.005% dmg increase anyone? USE THE FUCKING ROLS, +1 or less dmg increase is fun only for people who don't understand what numbers mean. STR mages anyone? I am not even talking that it blows immersion away instantly, when you see a mage more buffed that a fighter, but that makes 0 sense, and then devs have to water down the attribute effect to echieve so called balance.) and thus the same = balanced. So until they change that I am not sure I will be able to play it enjoy the thing, plus other things I have written down many times.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
It is for this reason I've always found it strange that people say that PS:T would be better without any combat. I've always felt quite the opposite. The tattoos as inventory items, the gorgeous spell animations that tell you little stories about the planes themselves (a portal to Mechanus, holy shit, it's a gun!), yes even killing a bunch of cranium rats, they're all little pieces of a greater whole. If some of those pieces aren't as stellar as the rest, I don't think the solution is getting rid of them. Then you'd just be left with gaping holes.

Yup, lack of good combat encounters and more combat (the character/combat systems are OK.) is what made PST weaker, it is not the game's core strength. The game is so good in other aspects that it masks the lack of it, it does not make it better.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Yet again you fail to actually address a point like a non-retard.*

*Proceeds to address no points, like actual-retard.

Summary:

If you don't like Torment: Tides of Numenera, you don't like RPGs
Torment: Tides of Numenera ≠ All RPGs.

Suck my dick you stupid fuck. What happened to Australia? Didn't they used to have real men? They are completely emasculated now and they seem to love it.
Not sucking dick ≠ Emasculated.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Summary:

What happened to Australia? Didn't they used to have real men? They are completely emasculated now and they seem to love it. Suck my dick you stupid fuck.
Geez what caused that meltdown from YES!?

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron

Summary:

What happened to Australia? Didn't they used to have real men? They are completely emasculated now and they seem to love it. Suck my dick you stupid fuck.
Stroke.

Also T:ToN is a console game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am highly sympathetic to Roqua-ism, even though this probably wouldn't be a very interesting forum if it was entirely populated by people like him.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I am highly sympathetic to Roqua-ism, even though this probably wouldn't be a very interesting forum if it was entirely populated by people like him.
Of course you are. You are shilling to every developer and their half-assed effort. It's a cruel joke that you don't have an "Advertising Plant", "Carnival Barker", "Advertising Space", "Neon Sign", "Shilltising", "Shit pitcher" or a similar tag.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Wouldn't it be nice if an rpg site had people on staff that actually liked rpgs?
-
I bet he (Prime Junta) is a huge supporter of Palestine and calls jews Zionists.

communistnazijewred.png

He's a demented, thought-policing authoritarian, from a time one billion years in the future...

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What's mostly left in this thread is :butthurt: and few others who try to reason or get a fun from those who flow with butthurt tide.
I was even going to answer most stupid claims, but remembered in time that some things can't be resolved in logic and reasoning.

Weasel
I preferred Roqua's rants in the old days :(
Maybe I'm just stuck in the past and overly nostalgic though... perhaps it's an unfair comparison.

And being one of the few straight men left alive I have transended being a person, and I'm now a super man. I can get through the day without using any hair products. I could even squish your fucking head in my ass crack. So I think you should edit your post to say "What exactly is wrong with this super man?"

jewboy

Arbiter
Considering the importance of this game in the History of Computer Role Playing Games timeline I hope VD can find the time to give TTON a proper Dragon Age II treatment. Now that was a great review of a shitty game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Considering the importance of this game in the History of Computer Role Playing Games timeline I hope VD can find the time to give TTON a proper Dragon Age II treatment. Now that was a great review of a shitty game.

Careful with those expectations, you could end up with another Wasteland 2.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Careful with those expectations, you could end up with another Wasteland 2.
Bio. has always been perceived as the enemies along with Beth. and the codex had no faith in their work/efforts. InXile and people involved (writers, designers etc.) are more like Bros. who failed, so he will likely be reluctant.

jewboy

Arbiter
How does this game rank alongside Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Pillars, WL2, New Vegas, etc.
Its a lot better then DA2, slightly better then W2, worse then DA:O and Pillars and not nearly as good as New Vegas. Pirate it or wait till like 75%-90% discount.

What? No Oblivion? You make a list of some of the worst cRPGs ever made you gotta include that one too. I don't think Nugent was asking the question seriously. Not with a list like that. Presumably the fact that you think TTON was worse than Dragon Age means that you think it is worthless garbage. That seems to be the consensus. More and more I am dreading the installation of this thing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
YES! is right though. D. W. Bradley's Dungeon Lords is a pretty fun game.
And can you attack anyone in T:ToN or is combat only allowed in Crises?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Unpopular opinion time, but I do think PS:T's combat has value and serves a purpose. In light of how truly execrable the "just sideline the combat, it doesn't matter" approach went with Numenera, especially so. PS:T's combat is not "good". But contrary to what so many people claim, removing it would not improve the game. It serves as a form of pacing. When the player gets into overload from reading too many dialogues, they have combat to turn to.

That was an inpopular opinion before T:ToN release. Now everyone will understand that combat is the core of gameplay. Another advantage of combat in PS:T is that it gave you some sense of progression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom