Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Shocking Report From RPS: First Hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda Stinks

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
pile_of_shit.gif

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

[...] I’m at a loss. What I expect from BioWare is slightly dodgy combat, but splendid writing and characters. What I’ve seen so far is some decent enough combat (but nothing beyond what you’d expect in a third person shooter), and some of the most dreadful writing. I cannot emphasise enough how poor it’s been.​

:notsureifserious:

This is endemic. It’s so very, very bizarre to be playing a BioWare game where the characters are so empty and dull. Of course the two companions you start with in all three previous Mass Effect games are the worst, and that’s no exception here. But it doesn’t get much better. You are bombarded with conversation by nearly your entire crew early on, and they’re so freaking stereotypical. The exposition hangs off the dialogue like eighty ton weights, drowning any hope of emotional connection. Characters painfully tell you what their personalities are, rather than, say, having one.

Hey idiot, that's every Bioware game EVER. I WANT TO BE A DRAGON. They've sucked and they will always suck. Be thankful this isn't Bethesda, who clearly outsourced Fallout 3/4 writing to Vietnam.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
They probably switched their writing style from merely incompetent to utterly infantile, which sits not well even with people with obvious bad taste

Bored Games

Literate
Not ashamed to say I enjoyed KOTOR and ME1 for what they were. I don't expect good writing in a modern AAA game, just a vaguely interesting premise in there somewhere, but this looks like a particularly bad and pointless parody.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
Is anyone still expecting any level of actual writting in AAA rpg ? How can you do marketting with something like writting ? In what way can writting have any impact in Day One units sold ? Better have something shiny to put on the trailer. And toys. And posters. And some overrated star telling you that it works.

DramaticPopcorn

Side quests feel like something from a 2004 Korean MMO. Just complete nothingness, running from map icon to map icon, scanning objects with your scanner when told to, and then AI companion SAM letting you know that, yup, the source of the defects has been found/animal has been captured/toddler reunited with rabid tiger, despite your actually doing nothing relevant to the tissue-thin narrative.
So, just like it's always been, eh?

laclongquan

Arcane

[...] I’m at a loss. What I expect from BioWare is slightly dodgy combat, but splendid writing and characters. What I’ve seen so far is some decent enough combat (but nothing beyond what you’d expect in a third person shooter), and some of the most dreadful writing. I cannot emphasise enough how poor it’s been.​

:notsureifserious:

This is endemic. It’s so very, very bizarre to be playing a BioWare game where the characters are so empty and dull. Of course the two companions you start with in all three previous Mass Effect games are the worst, and that’s no exception here. But it doesn’t get much better. You are bombarded with conversation by nearly your entire crew early on, and they’re so freaking stereotypical. The exposition hangs off the dialogue like eighty ton weights, drowning any hope of emotional connection. Characters painfully tell you what their personalities are, rather than, say, having one.

Hey idiot, that's every Bioware game EVER. I WANT TO BE A DRAGON. They've sucked and they will always suck. Be thankful this isn't Bethesda, who clearly outsourced Fallout 3/4 writing to Vietnam.

Do we fucking wish! That would mean our workshop IT slaves have what it takes to do AAA games. And if we can do it once, we can repeat with others.

No no. Much as I wish otherwise, this steaming pile of shit has 1st world seal of origin stamped on every corner. Blame Canada or USA for it!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
By the way looking at the graphics could it be they are aiming for a younger crowd ? At least mentally. The character design isn't just awful, it looks stylistically different, a bit like those Star Wars Rebels cartoon or Sims 4.

Are they also trying to be more inclusive by adding characters with acne ?

Envoyé de mon SM-T560 en utilisant Tapatalk

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You're not getting it, really? There's no such thing as Biowhore forgetting to send dorritos to RPShit or whoever. It's all part of the plan. There are highly trained people sitting around a table, deciding how to get the most PR for the game, just like in Wrestling. Nobody's letting a billion dollar franchise float in the sea on its own, it's all carefully monitored and orchestrated.
"Peacock gamer is gonna trash talk about our game, and then we'll have cocktaku say it's brilliant, and people will be like WELL WHICH IS IT, and then we have RPGshit say this and that, and then more reactions, then some youtubers upload a viral video, then others start defending it, etc etc".

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
You're not getting it, really? There's no such thing as Biowhore forgetting to send dorritos to RPShit or whoever. It's all part of the plan. There are highly trained people sitting around a table, deciding how to get the most PR for the game, just like in Wrestling. Nobody's letting a billion dollar franchise float in the sea on its own, it's all carefully monitored and orchestrated.
"Peacock gamer is gonna trash talk about our game, and then we'll have cocktaku say it's brilliant, and people will be like WELL WHICH IS IT, and then we have RPGshit say this and that, and then more reactions, then some youtubers upload a viral video, then others start defending it, etc etc".

Yeah, because Bioware is all about taking chances. :lol:

Lostpleb

Learned
I can't wait to pick between the red, blue or green ending. :M

By the way looking at the graphics could it be they are aiming for a younger crowd ? At least mentally. The character design isn't just awful, it looks stylistically different, a bit like those Star Wars Rebels cartoon or Sims 4.

A demographic reboot would be the most sensible thing Bioware could do. Mass Effect 1 came out in 2007 while Andromeda is about to come out ten years later, when most of the original players will have moved on after getting the epilogue to the trilogy, so going back and attempting to hook the younger crowd along for another ride makes sense. The sequels to Andromeda will hopefully "grow" along with them.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I can't wait to pick between the red, blue or green ending. :M

A demographic reboot would be the most sensible thing Bioware could do. Mass Effect 1 came out in 2007 while Andromeda is about to come out ten years later, when most of the original players will have moved on after getting the epilogue to the trilogy, so going back and attempting to hook the younger crowd along for another ride makes sense. The sequels to Andromeda will hopefully "grow" along with them.
And by growing you mean that it will grow an additional arm, a leg, a pair of eyes and a cock.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Who is willing to bet cash that it's gonna be codex GOTY 2017? It has some W3 moments and well the voice acting is like really really good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom