Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I didn't feel that the game pushed an agenda, and while Aloy makes a lot of comments about the world, characters, story and environments during gameplay, none that o can remember are feminist in nature, shes a pretty balanced character in terms of personality.

Duraframe300

Arcane
How the fuck did Obshitian let a talent like Gonzalez go? Fuking hell, that studio is doomed.

We may never know. To be fair though, Gonzalez wasn't exactly setteling at any company.
And Obsidian did give him a surprising amount of trust from the get go. I mean New Vegas was Gonzalez first (and only aside from writing anjali? I think in DSIII) game at Obsidian or in the crpg gerne in general.
Before that he did an action adventure and a strategy game I think.

imweasel

If you are triggered by a female protagonist, a Gaia or "mother earth" undertone, a few female warriors and a tribe run by some "wise" old granny matriarchs, who really aren't so wise, then you might want to check if you are a Muslim or something. I seriously haven't run into anything alarming like major faggotry, feminazism or any other SJW bullshit and I don't think it will happen. The game seems to be about as harmless as Tomb Raider.

Apexeon

Arcane
So is this the Codex rpg game of the year?

Codex is a pit of decline.

Confirmed all you need is AAA 3D tits. --> Twitcher 3.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

No. The women are hideous in this game. Their faces are deformed and they have male skeletons.

This is apparently an 'average' woman in north america v
maxresdefault.jpg

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you are triggered by a female protagonist, a Gaia or "mother earth" undertone, a few female warriors and a tribe run by some "wise" old granny matriarchs, who really aren't so wise, then you might want to check if you are a Muslim or something. I seriously haven't run into anything alarming like major faggotry, feminazism or any other SJW bullshit and I don't think it will happen. The game seems to be about as harmless as Tomb Raider.
I have it on good authority that the game is, in fact, cultural marxist propaganda straight out of the gay jewish unions of the EU - it mentions in its backstory having to repair the damage caused by *gasp* global warming.

No, but seriously, if you can't take the liberal slant I really question how the fuck you play anything these days.

This is apparently an 'average' woman in north america
Technically, it really isn't, but that would be telling.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yep. The story is pretty engaging, you just want to keep on playing to find out what happens next and get some more info on how the world went to shit.

I am not finished yet, but 98% of the chicks in this game just seem to make babies. Even the female warriors have kids. You can also walk around town and practically every adult female is labeled as a mother. Why and how the protagonist became a warrior is also explained and plausible.

TBH I really am not getting the feeling that Guerilla is pushing the regressive leftist agenda with this game. Men and women are treated equally, but they do overwhelmingly assume their respective roles based on gender.

It's physically impossible to be a mother and a warrior at the same time. Wymyn can do everything, there are no tradeoffs and they don't need to make a decision. Classic feminist BS. In that situation, women would ned to have a huge number of kids just so some can survive. Even if you discount diseases (which would be the biggest killer like in olde tymes), the sheer amount of people getting slaughtered by other tribes or robo-dinos would mean they would have to be permanently pregnant, making the warrior thing impossible.

Women are just as strong and capable of fighting and hunting as men = feminist BS. In reality it's pretty damn ridiculous how much stronger men are than women.

Women are the level headed leaders while men behave like neurotic little bitches. Feminist BS.

All the bad guys are men, even though they have this magical utopia where there are equal numbers of male and female warriors.

Stronk wymyn saves little boy from killbot and he becomes her lifelong omega servant. Feminist fantasy.

They may not be consciously trying to push the SJW/marxist/regressive narrative, but they sure do believe it themselves. We are at the stage where an effort doesn't even need to be made to promote this shit. It's so pervasive in pop culture already that people like you don't even notice it anymore unless it's Bioware-level obvious.

You would have a point there if the tribes in the game werent supposed to resemble prehistoric tribes from the stone age, which had a more egalitarian social structure. You can look up a pretty informative paper here (free registration necessary)

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/348/6236/796

Also your arguments sound pretty much exactly like those feminists use, who also are very keen on identifying the oppression of evul partriarchy in every sinister or victimized female character in any narrative ever written. This shit is getting tiresome, as long as there is no elaborate feminist message in the game there is not really much to be bothered about.

Apexeon

Arcane

No. The women are hideous in this game. Their faces are deformed and they have male skeletons.

This is apparently an 'average' woman in north america v
maxresdefault.jpg

A few casks of wine and I will give it a tap.

Ok I lied, send in the barrels of wine.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
"Fuck all those journalists talking about video games with a political agenda. By the way, all said games are basically SJW feminazi cultural Marxist propaganda because I saw a woman outside the kitchen."

Zarniwoop you should consider twitter.com, I heard it's a great website for people with your interests.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You would have a point there if the tribes in the game werent supposed to resemble prehistoric tribes from the stone age, which had a more egalitarian social structure. You can look up a pretty informative paper here (free registration necessary)

Also your arguments sound pretty much exactly like those feminists use, who also are very keen on identifying the oppression of evul partriarchy in every sinister or victimized female character in any narrative ever written. This shit is getting tiresome, as long as there is no elaborate feminist message in the game there is not really much to be bothered about.
Hurrrr ur just as dumb as femunusts derp.

No. Fuck you. It is absolutely in no way the same. Pointing out or not liking dumb, unrealistic shit in a game on a games forum is in no way the same as trying to ban or change things because you don't like facts.

I pointed out some clear, straight up bullshit feminist memes from the game, which messes up my suspension of disbelief and breaks muh immersion since they have otherwise been pretty thoughtful in what that society and world would look like.

No one ever said having a female protagonist is bad. In fact I even praised the game for trying to explain her magic superpowers in a way that Hollywood wouldn't even bother to. See: NuStar Wars.

No one said there's a problem with the mother Gaia theme, Jesus what the fuck was that guy smoking that came up with that?

Go fuck yourselves with that strawman shit. Yes I know it was another retard that said that, not you.

I very clearly also said I don't think that the game is a conscious attempt to inject propaganda, just that the creators are clearly victims of it. In reality the game is barely above the background level of Marxist/feminist contamination. My point was that your average retard (such as yourself) is so conditioned to it that you don't even notice it anymore. If you are walking around the Chernobyl exclusion zone, you'll get used to the constant beeping of the dosimeter eventually and not even notice until it gets really crazy as you get near that suspicious looking blob of metal on the ground.

But, much like ionizing radiation and cigarette smoke, the only safe dose of feminism is zero. I guess I just haven't lost my sensitivity to it.

Also your link is ridiculous, it has nothing to do with egalitarianism or any of that shit. It's about who chose who to live with in primitive societies. In the past, women had babies and were cared for, men did shit, fought each other and died in massive numbers. Suck it millennials.

The 2 genders (yes there are only 2, again get rekt millennials) have very distinct roles not only biologically but also in society. Women cannot be stronk warriors in a primitive society, as simple as that, and DEFINITELY not if they are also mothers. Portraying any such society as anything else is a feminist "you can have it all" fantasy.

All that said, I do like the game. I was just bitching about stuff I don't like and pointing out how stupid all the "lul there's no sexism y u mad tho" comments were.

I actually like it quite a bit. First time in years I've been at work and actually looking forward getting back home so I can play a game. First time it ever happened to me with a TV game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
raging butthurt

Even assuming you're right about whatever crap you're on about, it's still a trivial fucking detail. It's like bitching about how sunglasses would make Duke a shittier gunslinger. Nobody sane gives a shit.
Is this game actually good?
Good question! I too would like to know about the actual quality of the game about robot dinosaurs vs cavemen that seems at least superficially interesting.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is this game actually good?
Good question! I too would like to know about the actual quality of the game about robot dinosaurs vs cavemen that seems at least superficially interesting.

Yep, it's pretty good. I liked it a lot, 7.5/10 if I had to give it a score.

Kem0sabe posted his thoughts at some point in this thread which I agreed with, maybe last page, so I'll just echo those.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Hurrrr ur just as dumb as femunusts derp.

No. Fuck you. It is absolutely in no way the same. Pointing out or not liking dumb, unrealistic shit in a game on a games forum is in no way the same as trying to ban or change things because you don't like facts.

I pointed out some clear, straight up bullshit feminist memes from the game, which messes up my suspension of disbelief and breaks muh immersion since they have otherwise been pretty thoughtful in what that society and world would look like.

No one ever said having a female protagonist is bad. In fact I even praised the game for trying to explain her magic superpowers in a way that Hollywood wouldn't even bother to. See: NuStar Wars.

No one said there's a problem with the mother Gaia theme, Jesus what the fuck was that guy smoking that came up with that?

Go fuck yourselves with that strawman shit. Yes I know it was another retard that said that, not you.

I very clearly also said I don't think that the game is a conscious attempt to inject propaganda, just that the creators are clearly victims of it. In reality the game is barely above the background level of Marxist/feminist contamination. My point was that your average retard (such as yourself) is so conditioned to it that you don't even notice it anymore. If you are walking around the Chernobyl exclusion zone, you'll get used to the constant beeping of the dosimeter eventually and not even notice until it gets really crazy as you get near that suspicious looking blob of metal on the ground.

But, much like ionizing radiation and cigarette smoke, the only safe dose of feminism is zero. I guess I just haven't lost my sensitivity to it.

Also your link is ridiculous, it has nothing to do with egalitarianism or any of that shit. It's about who chose who to live with in primitive societies. In the past, women had babies and were cared for, men did shit, fought each other and died in massive numbers. Suck it millennials.

The 2 genders (yes there are only 2, again get rekt millennials) have very distinct roles not only biologically but also in society. Women cannot be stronk warriors in a primitive society, as simple as that, and DEFINITELY not if they are also mothers. Portraying any such society as anything else is a feminist "you can have it all" fantasy.

All that said, I do like the game. I was just bitching about stuff I don't like and pointing out how stupid all the "lul there's no sexism y u mad tho" comments were.

I actually like it quite a bit. First time in years I've been at work and actually looking forward getting back home so I can play a game. First time it ever happened to me with a TV game.

Some spoilers...

During the game you visit a location that explains the why of the multicultural society in the game, and why with so much advanced technology apparently available, they were stuck in a very early stage of human development, without any preconceived notions of how the gender roles, later evolving into different "tribes" as they migrated and expanded.

Also, these people aren't exactly human as we currently understand humanity, their forefathers weren't born, they werent raised as normal people, they werent educated as human.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Oh, baby's first time noticing not-so-subtle Marxist propaganda in gaming?

Just took this ingame screenshot, the game really has some top notch art direction...

17191978_10202987506686424_1021112312718278714_o.jpg

Blue and orange colour scheme? Dumb hair? I think the game's true agenda is quite clear:

2015-05-02-ballycarrybilly.jpg

Some light reading:

The Pope is the Antichrist
A Demonstration from Scripture, history, and his own lips.
Being a Precis of Dr. J. A. Wylie's Classic, "The Papacy is the Antichrist"
By Ian R. K. Paisley M.P., M.E.P.'The same line of proof which establishes that Christ is the promised Messiah, conversely applied, establishes that the Roman system is the predicted Apostasy. In the life of Christ we behold the CONVERSE of what Antichrist must be; and in the prophecy of the Antichrist we are shown the CONVERSE of what Christ must be and was. And when we place the Papacy between the two, and compare it with each, we find on the one hand, that it is the perfect CONVERSE of Christ as seen in His life; and on the other, that it is the perfect image of the Antichrist, as shown in the prophecy of him. WE CONCLUDE, THEREFORE, THAT IF JESUS OF NAZARETH BE THE CHRIST, THE ROMAN PAPACY IS THE ANTICHRIST.'
— Dr. J. A. Wylie

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Marxist propaganda from massive capitalistic companies in Playstation games... :lol:
Some opinions are best kept secret within the troubled minds that contain them.
This whole SJW paranoia in the US has made some people very very confused.

Brother Rat

Novice
My thoughts on the game, after about 6-8 hours:

Way too many cutscenes. Why is it that, in a game which was marketed to me on the basis of being able to pew-pew robot dinosaurs with a bow, I have to sit through an hour of exposition and indignant wangst before i actually get to the pew-pewing part? Only explanation I can think of for game design like this is that someone on the dev team is a failed movie director (and after watching the cutscenes in this game it's not hard to see why).

It's not an RPG by any means. Dialogue options don't affect the story, and character "building" is very, very simple. Not sure why it's in GRPG Discussion.

I'm also unsure why it's being hyped as a storyfag game. The setting is unique sure, but everything else about the story is pretty mediocre. Alloy is a typical Chosen One superhero (who's only personality trait seems to be that she's mad about being an outcast), all the other characters are one dimensional cliches, and the dialog lacks personality. It's not terrible writing, but it's not particularly good either.

Combat's fine I guess, seems like typical popamole stuff.

Regarding the open world: They did do a good job of avoiding filler creep, so that's nice. The only problem is that they didn't do a very good job of making the content that is there interesting. I'm not really getting any incentive to explore, as so far itemization seems to be limited to crafting components and side quests are uninteresting due to the writing.

Sure is purdy tho. Soundtrack's great too, i like the juxtaposition between the traditional exploration segments and the electronic combat segments.

So overall, i'm not getting the hype. The game failed to engage me, and I've gone back to playing Strange Journey instead. Some comments in this thread insinuate that it gets better further on, but I'm not really in a hurry to see if they're correct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom