Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
What's the fucking reason of adding that purple color overlay on the bottom left button?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing to note: proper mods let you choose what you want and what not and that is the case for Planescape: Torment mods. Beamdog hacks on the other hand shove everything down our throats ...
Chris Avellone (Lead Designer on the Original Planescape: Torment and the Enhanced Decision) said:
Shouldn't the game be played the way its creator thinks best? It's clear he thinks the incomplete 1999 version is "hands-down" inferior...

Maybe they told Chris that Feargus Urquhart prefers the 1999 version. :troll:

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
What's the fucking reason of adding that purple color overlay on the bottom left button?
enhancing.png

EDIT: fixed image hosting fuckery

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
In 1999, they had to make a lot of compromises. If you look at the original pitch that Avellone wrote, he specifically mentions the need to offset characters from the background with thick black lines "to emphasize the character-based nature of the story," as well as the importance of an incorrect aspect ratio in UI elements "to underscore the unsettlingly 'off' nature of the planes." While some key points (like "babes") made it into the final game, Guido Henkel prevented things like the black outline in order to get it out the door (almost certainly preventing the game from being a runaway commercial success). At last we can enjoy the game as it was meant to be.

For example, we can add creatures into the foreground as never before possible.

Attachments

• ending.jpg
    ending.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 316

hexer

It brings the game's graphics in line with the original vision. :D

Speaking of the original vision, here's a screenshot from PST beta with atmospheric contamination in Hive
(planned for Lower Ward too).
I remember reading about it in my local gaming magazine.
For some reason, it wasn't in the final version.

Torment025_640w.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
UI_Bad.png

wjoiZ0W.jpg
Guess which one is the original and which one is the remaster.

This just boggles my mind.

I think that Beamdog is 'scared' to let players view the black space around maps that don't entirely occupy their desktop resolution, so they're forcing the maps to be zoomed in and thats why some of them look so bad in the video. The widescreen mod doesn't give a shit if black borders on maps bother you, everything is rendered as intended and it stays crisp since there is no zoom function. I think its the wrong call to make for the EEs to scale maps that way, it just highlights their imperfections, but what are you going to do.

Now, as to why the character sprites look like mud? I dfk.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Speaking of the original vision, here's a screenshot from PST beta with atmospheric contamination in the Hive (planned for Lower Ward area too). I remember reading about it in my local gaming magazine.

Torment025_640w.jpg
Note the purple squares, Elhoim. Original vision. Told you!

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's aesthetics, so hard to argue.. but yeah, I think it looks horrible. Some people love them though.

There's no accounting for some people's taste ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hexer

Speaking of the original vision, here's a screenshot from PST beta with atmospheric contamination in the Hive (planned for Lower Ward area too). I remember reading about it in my local gaming magazine.

Torment025_640w.jpg
Note the purple squares, Elhoim. Original vision. Told you!

Note the original PURPLEISH spell effect from this beta screen too!

Torment_line2_640w.jpg

Sammael

Liturgist
Atmospheric contamination was likely removed for performance reasons, just like the anti-aliased fog of war in IWD2 (which was present in the Press Preview release).

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
It's up!
Enhanced Edition - Key Features:
  • Enhanced Planescape: Chris Avellone, Lead Designer on Planescape Torment, has partnered with Beamdog to curate gameplay updates, bug fixes, and enhancements to best capture his original vision for the game.
  • Remastered Music: The full Planescape: Torment soundtrack has been remastered in-game to add more depth to Sigil and the multiverse.
  • 4K Interface: Sigil has never looked this good! The interface of Planescape: Torment has been rebuilt in high definition with tons of new convenience features.
  • A Planescape For Today: The Enhanced Edition includes modern features such as tab highlighting, area zooming, combat log, quickloot, and more!
Desktop
01.png

Tablet
Tablet01.png
Also:
Leprechaun Annah
Download and add these files to your PST:EE override folder to reskin Annah with a festive St. Patrick's Day costume.
iOS users can click here to install on their device.

Easter Morte
Download and add these files to your PST:EE override folder to paint Morte in festive Easter egg colors.
iOS users can click here to install on their device

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Alright Codex people, PST:EE is now live. There's a FAQ section on the Beamdog website which may answer some of your questions. In addition, here are some design decisions that I made as the PST:EE Project Lead:

• No new party members, quests, NPCs, areas or cinematic movies
  • No new writing by anyone except Chris Avellone. In case you're wondering, Chris wrote a couple of new journal entries, adjusted a few special ability (i.e. Morte's Skull Mob) textual descriptions and composed the text that is displayed on the new "Welcome Screen". He also designed the Steam Achievements (wrote the text and specified the icon appearance) and named the new main menu buttons (i.e. Options = Alter Senses)
  • No changes to existing writing except for a proofreading pass of the original game text by Chris Avellone (he asked to do this)
  • No kits/classes/races/spells/items from BG2 or IWD
  • No changes to the combat and general gameplay
  • No "Story Mode" or "Heart of Fury" difficulty settings
  • No multiplayer

Note that when I say "writing" I'm referring to the text that the player can access within the gameworld i.e. by talking to NPCs, inspecting objects, spells, items and the journal. That doesn't include text that is accessed outside of the gameworld such as the technical descriptions which explain how new UI options like "Zoom Lock" or "Hardware Mouse Cursor" function. The descriptions of those options were written by the developers who worked on implementing them, not by Chris.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They don't tell us shit about what they changed outside of graphics and some gimmicks. Which can mean two things. They changed nothing or they did change something, and are already launching damage control.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No new writing by anyone except Chris Avellone. In case you're wondering, Chris wrote a couple of new journal entries, adjusted a few special ability (i.e. Morte's Skull Mob) textual descriptions and composed the text that is displayed on the new "Welcome Screen". He also designed the Steam Achievements (wrote the text and specified the icon appearance) and named the new main menu buttons (i.e. Options = Alter Senses)
Okay, that's... good.

I hate myself now.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Alright Codex people, PST:EE is now live. There's a FAQ section on the Beamdog website which may answer some of your questions. In addition, here are some design decisions that I made as the PST:EE Project Lead:

• No new party members, quests, NPCs, areas or cinematic movies
  • No new writing by anyone except Chris Avellone. In case you're wondering, Chris wrote a couple of new journal entries, adjusted a few special ability (i.e. Morte's Skull Mob) textual descriptions and composed the text that is displayed on the new "Welcome Screen". He also designed the Steam Achievements (wrote the text and specified the icon appearance) and named the new main menu buttons (i.e. Options = Alter Senses)
  • No changes to existing writing except for a proofreading pass of the original game text by Chris Avellone (he asked to do this)
  • No kits/classes/races/spells/items from BG2 or IWD
  • No changes to the combat and general gameplay
  • No "Story Mode" or "Heart of Fury" difficulty settings
  • No multiplayer

Note that when I say "writing" I'm referring to the text that the player can access within the gameworld i.e. by talking to NPCs, inspecting objects, spells, items and the journal. That doesn't include text that is accessed outside of the gameworld such as the technical descriptions which explain how new UI options like "Zoom Lock" or "Hardware Mouse Cursor" function. The descriptions of those options were written by the developers who worked on implementing them, not by Chris.

So, what are you actually doing to the game? 19.99$ for what?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
n_EW.png

This is a much better representative of the end product. The only thing I don't like at all is the blurry portraits. They could have least replaced them with the official art for the different characters, hell, I'm going to make a mockup myself.

Mustawd

Glad I have my old GoG version before that's no longer available to be purchased...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom