Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Lhynn

Arcane
I made the mistake of playing the whole series on insanity and ME is not exactly difficult even in the scenario you describe. Slow, tedious, monotonous? Sure, but waiting for your character's regen or cooldowns or enemy's immunity to expire in cover is not my idea of meaningful challenge. The need to use sticky cover at all is not a positive thing in my book either.

Higher difficulty settings don't increase enjoyment of the game so I wouldn't use them in arguing about necessity of cover. Veteran is playable with very little use of cover.
This isnt how it works on ME1 tho, a krogan will wreck your shit if you wait for your cooldowns and your regen, most enemies will in fact.

Juggie

Augur
This isnt how it works on ME1 tho, a krogan will wreck your shit if you wait for your cooldowns and your regen, most enemies will in fact.
What krogan are you talking about? If you mean krogan battlemaster then it's a specially scripted bossfight. Other krogan mostly run around like other enemies and will not try to get you out of cover (unlike in ME2).

Enemies in ME will generally only flank you by chance while running around randomly. I was usually able to stay in one spot through the whole fight (for few minutes). I left the game unpaused during combat once and my character was unharmed after coming back 5 minutes later. The general purpose AI is quite incapable so the only challenging fights are the custom scripted ones.

Lhynn

Arcane
What krogan are you talking about? If you mean krogan battlemaster then it's a specially scripted bossfight. Other krogan mostly run around like other enemies and will not try to get you out of cover (unlike in ME2).

Enemies in ME will generally only flank you by chance while running around randomly. I was usually able to stay in one spot through the whole fight (for few minutes). I left the game unpaused during combat once and my character was unharmed after coming back 5 minutes later. The general purpose AI is quite incapable so the only challenging fights are the custom scripted ones.
In my experience on ME1 insanity krogans tended to charge and punch you till they murder you, which isnt a lot of punching, 1 or 2 do the job. They are also invulnerable to damage for a while because they get the talent in insanity.
Also fights in ME1 could happen in corridors with little or no cover, by contrast ME2 gives you corridors with cover every 4 feet.

donkeymong

Scholar
On easy or normal maybee...
Starting on insanity with a level one character, tactics, powers and cover were definitely needed...
I made the mistake of playing the whole series on insanity and ME is not exactly difficult even in the scenario you describe. Slow, tedious, monotonous? Sure, but waiting for your character's regen or cooldowns or enemy's immunity to expire in cover is not my idea of meaningful challenge.

A player that understood what Warp does never needed to wait until Immunity expired...
Or even better, used other Biotics to prevent enemies to use Immunity in the first place. For me, the first 20 levels on insanity definetly required
tactics for getting past the Krogan on Therum, as an example.

donkeymong

Scholar

In my experience on ME1 insanity krogans tended to charge and punch you till they murder you, which isnt a lot of punching, 1 or 2 do the job. They are also invulnerable to damage for a while because they get the talent in insanity.
Also fights in ME1 could happen in corridors with little or no cover, by contrast ME2 gives you corridors with cover every 4 feet.

In main missions, all Krogans aside from one scientist and a sniper, used to charge when low on health, even the bouncer in Choras Den. Enemies like the Geth Destroyer tried to get in melee
range right at the beginning of combat.

Juggie

Augur
A player that understood what Warp does never needed to wait until Immunity expired...
Or even better, used other Biotics to prevent enemies to use Immunity in the first place. For me, the first 20 levels on insanity definetly required
tactics for getting past the Krogan on Therum, as an example.
I count using warp to counter immunity as waiting for cooldowns (60 sec cooldown).

As I mentioned in my other post krogan battlemaster fight was one of the challenging ones mostly due to custom scripting and sheer stat bloat. Not sure what you mean by tactics.

In main missions, all Krogans aside from one scientist and a sniper, used to charge when low on health, even the bouncer in Choras Den. Enemies like the Geth Destroyer tried to get in melee
range right at the beginning of combat.
Geth destroyers and rachni all tried to close in from the start. Krogan did or did not based on their scripts. The ones from those generic warehouses/space stations/labs/mines generally didn't. This was the majority unless you skipped all the bland assignments.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I had no idea you were a rape survivor.

You say that like rape is lethal. Perhaps you're doing it wrong

:shredder:

(somewhat fake edit: I never mentioned anyone being raped, I guess you see what you want to see)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished. The entire plot (and many subplots) completely rely on Bioware making sequels. Nothing is explained in the end. Zilch. Problem is a sequel is determined by sales which are apparently dismal. So the most likely scenario is we'll get all the explanation in a short developer blogpost or some such. Which will only fit neatly into this embarrassment of a game.

I didn't even mind, I was laughing most of the game anyway. Kept playing just to see and explore new worlds. Those are incredible. If you have a high-end rig MEA is the best looking game ever created and I mean it. I'm so sorry for Bioware's environmental artists, seeing their first class work ruined by human waste in the writing department. Oh, also John Paesano's soundtrack, ranging from passable to great, especially if you like electonica. Sometimes I even stopped in the middle of a combat, transfixed by a great passage and got shredded.

Everything else is complete and utter shit. Even the laughable, placeholder character design and animation ultimately pales in comparison with the utter incompetence of Bioware writers. Nothing in this game's plot, story, characters or anything in between is the least bit compelling. Interaction with your squad and NPCs is 90% dreary small talk. "How are you - I'm fine - Do you miss Milky Way? - Yes I miss my parents - Who were you parents - My father was a carpenter and my mother a shop assistant - Amazing. How do you like this town? - This town is very nice". It goes like this for the entire playthrough. Dozens upon dozens of random NPCs spewing the most boring piles of text imaginable.

The plot is incoherent and retarded. The new mysterious race is copy pasted from the Reapers in the sound and art design. The main villain, just like in DAI, taken straight from Disney Channel Sunday morning cartoon. Boooow befoooore meeee puny huuumaaans, mwhahahaha, watch meeee destroy you while I twirl my non-existant moustache!1!!1 Jesus fucking Christ. The new race of friendly aliens reminded me of Gungans. Not AS retarded....but retarded. Adults talk and interact like 17 year olds imagine adults talk and interact. But in the most general sense, the game is about an expedition to and colonization of a new galaxy, with all the implicit imaginative potential. And all we got is Gungans, Skeletor and awkward small talk about parents.

ME3 multiplayer won hearts and minds of many a player, even those who harbored life long hatred for multiplayering. It's not that MEA multiplayer is bad. More like it's.....exactly the fucking same. It's completely copy pasted in its basic designs and concepts. Most enemies are basically reskins of ME3.

The only question left on my mind as I watch the end titles is - MEA or Fallout 4, which one is more embarrassing?

Deleted member 7219

Finished. The entire plot (and many subplots) completely rely on Bioware making sequels. Nothing is explained in the end. Zilch. Problem is a sequel is determined by sales which are apparently dismal. So the most likely scenario is we'll get all the explanation in a short developer blogpost or some such. Which will only fit neatly into this embarrassment of a game.

I didn't even mind, I was laughing most of the game anyway. Kept playing just to see and explore new worlds. Those are incredible. If you have a high-end rig MEA is the best looking game ever created and I mean it. I'm so sorry for Bioware's environmental artists, seeing their first class work ruined by human waste in the writing department. Oh, also John Paesano's soundtrack, ranging from passable to great, especially if you like electonica. Sometimes I even stopped in the middle of a combat, transfixed by a great passage and got shredded.

Everything else is complete and utter shit. Even the laughable, placeholder character design and animation ultimately pales in comparison with the utter incompetence of Bioware writers. Nothing in this game's plot, story, characters or anything in between is the least bit compelling. Interaction with your squad and NPCs is 90% dreary small talk. "How are you - I'm fine - Do you miss Milky Way? - Yes I miss my parents - Who were you parents - My father was a carpenter and my mother a shop assistant - Amazing. How do you like this town? - This town is very nice". It goes like this for the entire playthrough. Dozens upon dozens of random NPCs spewing the most boring piles of text imaginable.

The plot is incoherent and retarded. The new mysterious race is copy pasted from the Reapers in the sound and art design. The main villain, just like in DAI, taken straight from Disney Channel Sunday morning cartoon. Boooow befoooore meeee puny huuumaaans, mwhahahaha, watch meeee destroy you while I twirl my non-existant moustache!1!!1 Jesus fucking Christ. The new race of friendly aliens reminded me of Gungans. Not AS retarded....but retarded. Adults talk and interact like 17 year olds imagine adults talk and interact. But in the most general sense, the game is about an expedition to and colonization of a new galaxy, with all the implicit imaginative potential. And all we got is Gungans, Skeletor and awkward small talk about parents.

ME3 multiplayer won hearts and minds of many a player, even those who harbored life long hatred for multiplayering. It's not that MEA multiplayer is bad. More like it's.....exactly the fucking same. It's completely copy pasted in its basic designs and concepts. Most enemies are basically reskins of ME3.

The only question left on my mind as I watch the end titles is - MEA or Fallout 4, which one is more embarrassing?

I don't understand why you played and finished the damn thing. All of that you could have gathered from the 10 hour trial.

Freddie

Savant

So that's it. No reason reason to buy this. Thanks for review.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't understand why you played and finished the damn thing. All of that you could have gathered from the 10 hour trial.
Because he enjoyed it, but can't bring himself to admit it to codex...

I don't hide anything from this hallowed site. Everything I wrote is 100% honest.
I finished because I must. Gotta finish everything I start. Voices in my head make me do it.

donkeymong

Scholar

So that's it. No reason reason to buy this. Thanks for review.
Actually, the jetpack can still make a difference in the multiplayer experience. So for 5-10 bucks it could be worth the try.

J1M

Arcane
Don't understand why people thought ME1 was so damn good, combat was trash as fuck popamole bullshit where you didnt even need tactics, just run and gun till all the easy as shit enemies are dead, no need for cover. The 'rpg mechanics' were terrible, oh, should I do 5% more damage with my pistol or should I push shit 5% harder with my space magic. Itemization was absolute shit, there were literally only 4 weapons in the entire game. Thats it. Only 6 pieces of armor in the game really only 3 if you don't count the one different model each armor type had. 'Mako driving exploring uncharted woooooorlds' was just you driving around in a shitty fucking car that can jump around a shitty textured bump map. The only thing ME1 has over the other ME games is that there are no faggots in it.
You have access to the Jack Bauer build in ME1:
-Infiltrator
-Pistol + Pistol berserk
-All of the tech explosions for aoe damage
-Skill synergy leads to very high shields

Throw explosions while charging into enemies, hit pistol berserk, mop up, repeat. Cover? Optional.

pippin

So has there been any interesting drama? It would appear that even the usual sjw sites gave up on this game.

Vorark

Erudite
Whelp:

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/bioware-share-plans-address-mass-effect-andromeda-feedback-april-4
To Our Players

It’s been a week since we officially launched Mass Effect: Andromeda worldwide, and we couldn’t be more excited that our fans are finally experiencing everything we’ve worked so hard to create.

We’ve received quite a bit of feedback, some of it positive and some of it critical. That feedback is an important part of our ongoing support of the game, and we can’t wait to share more of our immediate plans with you on Tuesday, April 4.

In the meantime, keep your feedback coming. Our team is listening, working around the clock to gather information and plan out solutions to improve and build on Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Thanks for your continued support and for joining us on this journey.

"... some of it positive and some of it critical..." What an understatement. :shittydog:

RPGMasterLvl2

Novice
x4qcdj.jpg

:hmmm:

Sykar

Arcane
Because he enjoyed it, but can't bring himself to admit it to codex...

I don't hide anything from this hallowed site. Everything I wrote is 100% honest.
I finished because I must. Gotta finish everything I start. Voices in my head make me do it.
:updatedmytxt:

Reminds me of:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter

But if I cheat on two women in The Witcher 3, I get a quest where Geralt is lead on to believe he will be part of a magical threesome with the hottest of sorceresses . . . until they tie Geralt to the bed, tease him, then leave him there for his best friend to find him in the morning. Bioware could learn a thing about two-timing relationships and quests design from that whole experience. I will continue to judge Andromierda for what it is. Thanks internet Anon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom