Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Probably preaching to the choir, but

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
yeah, this game is pretty monocled. :obviously: The best release in recent years, imo. Well, except for Swordflight but that's not commercial.

Anyway, I've recorded some newbie impressions on my first few hours of play (I've notched up about 10 now). There's a few lil' comparisons with Fallout, too.

character%2Bsheet.jpg

Cheers. And thanks to Lhynn and Lacrymas for reminding me to check this one out.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
"You can't even force-attack this guy because hostilities can only be instigated via dialogue. There is also an Intimidate check which I presume allows for a peaceful solution, but I could not pass it due to having dumped my Will stat in chargen."

I'm pretty sure you can force-attack him. During dialogue, tell him you'll leave and then initiate combat. It was the easiest way I found during my first run as a gunslinger to kill him. True, it is not glorious... but efficient. Especially if hou have low initiative.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm surprised you didn't say anything about the pointless split of the character screen into 3 tabs so that for example when you pick a perk or increase a stat or equip something you have to keep switching between 3 screens.
One of these modern things where you have to split shit into tabs otherwise someone's head might explode from too much information.

Or maybe that was what the comparison was supposed to show besides the art?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The best release in recent years, imo.

It gave me new hope after poe/wl2/tranny and pretty much got me to buy AoD; it wasn't me being done with CRPGs, it was those fucking dogshit games :argh:

:outrage:BEST RELEASE IN YEARS:outrage:

:ehue:EXPEDITION EXPANSION:ehue:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm pretty sure you can force-attack him. During dialogue, tell him you'll leave and then initiate combat. It was the easiest way I found during my first run as a gunslinger to kill him. True, it is not glorious... but efficient. Especially if hou have low initiative.

You can definitely force attack anyone and anything.

Tried many times but wasn't able to even when I exited dialogue; i.e, talk, exit dialogue, enter combat, still flagged as dialogue and no targeting reticule. The only combat advantage of exit is you can close in.

One of these modern things where you have to split shit into tabs otherwise someone's head might explode from too much information.

Or maybe that was what the comparison was supposed to show besides the art?

Yes, Fallout's charsheet compacted all that info in. :obviously:

Here is a speedhack so you don't need Cheat Engine.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
There's a pic of my attributes in the link. I'm lvl7 (done a lot of experimentation and exploration, and have only just started using speedhack, so that's why after 20 hrs).

I've gone gunslinger and infiltrator template, skill-wise. Aimed Shot, Knee-cap shot, Expertise, Quick pockets for feats. Just found my first assault rifle, but don't have the str to fire accurately. So sticking with pistol. Not using walkthrough or wiki and just going on Fallout Wisdom, so build is sub-optimal.

Doktor Best

Arcane
If youre playing on hard do yourself a favor and go for smg instead of pistol.

Oh and you should really consider restarting with the oddity system. Its a unique and very motivating form of progression.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, I know I'm late to the party but: fuck me, this game is fun. Just got the .44 Hammerer and the Rapid Fire feat. Updated my blog post with more observations.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Your blogpost was a fun read, hope you'll have as much fun with the game as i have (currently in Deep Caverns)

I hope you don't lose all the enthusiasm once you reach Deep Coverns

I had some concerns going there because of all the butthurt players, but until now all i noticed was an increase in combat difficulty, which was wanted by the developer i assume. All in all i like it.

Oh and you should really consider restarting with the oddity system. Its a unique and very motivating form of progression.

:M:M:M

Whats your problem with my post?

Black Angel

Arcane
I had some concerns going there because of all the butthurt players, but until now all i noticed was an increase in combat difficulty, which was wanted by the developer i assume. All in all i like it.
Your first time going down there? Before the all the big patches, it was a total bullshit place that (iirc) nearly make Blaine insane.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Your blogpost was a fun read, hope you'll have as much fun with the game as i have (currently in Deep Caverns)

Thanks, Dok. Just played several more hours solid and I'm still enjoying it. Currently in Depot A.

Lhynn

Arcane
Your first time going down there? Before the all the big patches, it was a total bullshit place that (iirc) nearly make Blaine insane.
Deep caverns was both hard and a bit tiring. Too many times the same encounter in a row.
Biggest problem tho is that the plot tells you you just got to the endgame, then proceeds to have you backtrack for hours, not a good climax at all.
Imho the npcs that reveals the plot sholdnt exist, you should have to put together the plot on your own and figure out how to get out of there on your own as well. Would have made deep caverns muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better received.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom