Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Finished my first greenskin invasion on Expert, without losing anything :bounce:.

Immediately after a battle with 30 orcs I get offered a contract to slaughter 30 peasants, that's mercenary life for you.

Sarissofoi How can you clear the black monolith in one go? I had trouble with 20sh honor guards, never mind 40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohy6lolYOes

Step 1
>take high ground
Step 2
>take high losses
Step 3
>endure and win

Last edited:

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
You can find cheap melee with 55 in stat (with star) like daytaler even. But for archer you need either poacher or hunter or much costly background (like sellsword or witchunter).

Had a fucking 3 star melee day teller with 1 star melee defense and 2 star ranged defense. Optimistic and always act first in turn 1 to boot. Called something the eager.

What a G. Born to fuck shit up.

Last edited:

Quatlo

Arcane
I need general armour advice. Im level 7/8 atm and still running in shitty raider gear, I have around 20k of gold saved so I've decided its time to upgrade. What kind of stuff should I look for for different character types?
I guess two-handers get heaviest shit but where is the sweet spot to not make them move like snails and be barely able to attack?
Or maybe I should go with nimble for 2h dudes?

Here is the selection of the biggest armoury I have on the side of the map im atm:
Unmya2C.jpg

sser

Arcane
Developer
kVMa1EB.jpg

I usually have these for front-liners by mid/late-game (first Crisis started or inbound). They are more than sufficient for most battles.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I need general armour advice. Im level 7/8 atm and still running in shitty raider gear, I have around 20k of gold saved so I've decided its time to upgrade. What kind of stuff should I look for for different character types?
I guess two-handers get heaviest shit but where is the sweet spot to not make them move like snails and be barely able to attack?
Or maybe I should go with nimble for 2h dudes?

Here is the selection of the biggest armoury I have on the side of the map im atm:
Unmya2C.jpg

I shoot for 80+ on 2H guys. That scale in the screen cap might be a good investment but I don't usually go any heavier than that. Shield guys by virtue of their higher defence generally just get hand-me-downs from the 2Hers.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I buy 150 armor as early as possible (while still having some reserve money), 210 armor, maybe 240 but 300 is usually preferred at that point, or 320 if I can handle it fatigue/money wise. Remember to scour the wildlands for uniques before first crisis if possible.
Don't neglect the helmets either. You need high armor to negate headshot damage to some degree, though you may be able to roll with less if you have steel brow.
Usually have 300+ armor before first crisis on frontline guys, 210 on backline. I always rush heavy armor though because I prefer to negate rng as much as I can and dislike shield bros at higher levels. So all my front guys are usually 2h dudes.
With the release build's higher lethality (marksmen spam etc), I'm considering skipping the 150 pt armors tbh. Could work if you can get 210pt armors in a small fort, or even a settlement, or if you can get them on sale in the market at low durability.
Buying stuff at low durability in markets in places with blacksmith/weaponsmith and the relevant resource buildings has really helped me get guys equipped early.

Depends a bit on how you play/want to play your company, basically.

In order to get the money I don't hire expensive backgrounds and just look for specific stats/star combos on cheap backgrounds. The much lower daily pay of daytalers etc really helps in the long run. Only late-game do I maybe buy more expensive guys... If I have max armor and proper weapons on everybody already in the team. Exploring the foggy parts of the map (esp. near the edges of the world) can sometimes be better than doing contracts, just remember to retreat if you're facing something you can't beat without losses, and make sure to have max tools before you start exploring.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I start buying expensive guys only when my company has bros of around 6-7 levels or more. So that the losses are covered more efficiently. At that point its hard to train a level 1 farmer...without having him die after two hits in a random battle

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Quatlo I would buy the 210pt armors because they are notably better than bandit stuff and don't cost that much fatigue (your frontline should have plenty by now). The 150's are probably not worth it if you have 130 pt bandit armor. If you're on ironman keep 10k gold in reserve maybe at all times, more later on. If you're not in ironman, buy 210pt armors and then either the scale for your best guy or the 150's as an incremental upgrade. JIMO

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I start buying expensive guys only when my company has bros of around 6-7 levels or more. So that the losses are covered more efficiently. At that point its hard to train a level 1 farmer...without having him die after two hits in a random battle
Weirdly enough I always manage to train them up. Main problem is just the way recruitment works right now... I wish you could hold some sort of skill test for multiple recruits for a bit of a fee or something, or have a skill tree for your own non-combatant guy that you're technically playing where he can level up some ability to gauge stats/stars or what of recruits. Then some commerce skill, maybe some general buffs to resolve of the company (or to the company banner). IDK.
It's just such a bummer to spend so much on what usually turns out to be some average chump who costs you 4+ times as much per week as a daytaler but has 25 resolve and no stars in melee/ranged.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Well you can always hunt for bandit leaders and hedge knights or mercenaries and bounty hunters. They use to drop good armors.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Well you can always hunt for bandit leaders and hedge knights or mercenaries and bounty hunters. They use to drop good armors.
Hedge knights as enemies? Don't think I've ever noticed them before, are they in bandit parties instead of a leader?

Wouldn't want to take on mercs/bounty hunters in ironman with a party that has just 130pt armor and below. Real risky... And you'd need to be good enough with flails or daggers.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Weirdly enough I always manage to train them up. Main problem is just the way recruitment works right now... I wish you could hold some sort of skill test for multiple recruits for a bit of a fee or something, or have a skill tree for your own non-combatant guy that you're technically playing where he can level up some ability to gauge stats/stars or what of recruits. Then some commerce skill, maybe some general buffs to resolve of the company (or to the company banner). IDK.

This.
Some sort of company perks, for faster repairing items, faster recovery, bigger scout range, faster movement or less hard terrain penalty, better sight at night, more inventory space, bigger reserve rooster, longer food preservation, passive exp gain to reserve rooster, boost to exp for low level brothers, etc.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Hedge knights as enemies? Don't think I've ever noticed them before, are they in bandit parties instead of a leader?

Wouldn't want to take on mercs/bounty hunters in ironman with a party that has just 130pt armor and below. Real risky... And you'd need to be good enough with flails or daggers.

Charm of the Expert I guess.
They, Swordmasters and Master Archers start appearing when you reach high enough power level of your company. usually accompanied by 1 to 3 bandit leaders and 20+ raiders and marksmen.
They usually carry a heavy armor and sometimes a named weapon a sword, flail, axe or 2h axe.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Charm of the Expert I guess.
They, Swordmasters and Master Archers start appearing when you reach high enough power level of your company. usually accompanied by 1 to 3 bandit leaders and 20+ raiders and marksmen.
They usually carry a heavy armor and sometimes a named weapon a sword, flail, axe or 2h axe.

I've seen swordmasters etc of course, just never noticed hedge knights specifically. Maybe I mistook them for bandit leaders.

Taking down mercs has worked for me for low level parties sometimes, I just don't like to lose guys... And mercs can have overwhelm too... Then again early on you might move before they do.

Andnjord

Arcane
Yeah, that's how I got most of my armor in my current playthrough. I would just leave a tank shieldwalling the leader on his own (rotation helped with that) while the rest of the company would rout the brigands then turn around and dagger the leader in the back. But it's day 150 now and all those Hedge Knights never had any named weapons. Plenty of 300 durability armor though :dealwithit:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

This.
Some sort of company perks, for faster repairing items, faster recovery, bigger scout range, faster movement or less hard terrain penalty, better sight at night, more inventory space, bigger reserve rooster, longer food preservation, passive exp gain to reserve rooster, boost to exp for low level brothers, etc.
Leadership skilltree for your own guy would certainly fix the awkward question of "why do the other mercs keep your useless crippled dude around at all?".

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Yeah, that's how I got most of my armor in my current playthrough. I would just leave a tank shieldwalling the leader on his own (rotation helped with that) while the rest of the company would rout the brigands then turn around and dagger the leader in the back. But it's day 150 now and all those Hedge Knights never had any named weapons. Plenty of 300 durability armor though :dealwithit:

If you do not care about save scumming you can restart combat and each time there is a chance that hedge knight will spawn with different load - works for orcs too. Actually works for everybody but they do not carry rares. Having hawk helps to check if he has something worthy to loot.
Yep all parties are generated at combat.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Huh. I should try doing that more... But it better work early on because I'm usually armored up via store-bought stuff (and very rare salvage) before day 90 or whenever I get the first crisis. Then again my strategy relies a lot on earning money mostly for armor and later on, 2h weapons.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Damn there is two space marines in this thread.

Huh. I should try doing that more... But it better work early on because I'm usually armored up via store-bought stuff (and very rare salvage) before day 90 or whenever I get the first crisis. Then again my strategy relies a lot on earning money mostly for armor and later on, 2h weapons.

Well i play Expert mostly and with ironman losses are high profits are nay.
So salvaging is main source of armors.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Damn there is two space marines in this thread.

Well i play Expert mostly and with ironman losses are high profits are nay.
So salvaging is main source of armors.

Same here, just that I mostly only get standard bandit raider gear via (accidental or flail-based) salvage.
I'll have to watch your lp's in full sometime to see where our strategies differ... Early on ironman expert of course one can't afford anything for a while. After a bit I usually start to get places money-wise though. May just be RNG luck with the encounters or me not relying on contracts as much anymore and going exploring instead.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Mercenaries can be extremely(maybe not) easy to defeat if you lucky and have mid gear and mid level at last mostly because you can use your number advantage. Skills needed.
6-8 merc with 1-3 dogs vs your 12 plus dogs(up to 12).
You can not do much farming against them(need to kill them quickly) but if you have flails you can get some nice armors cheap and plenty.

Arulan

Cipher
Are there any benefits to buying food besides Grounded Grain, aside from the expiration date?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Are there any benefits to buying food besides Grounded Grain, aside from the expiration date?

You get mood events for providing the bros with different food.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom