Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gwent: The Witcher Card game - standalone Gwent game - now with Rogue Mage standalone expansion

sser

Arcane
Developer
Skellige, yes. A lot of their decks are very glass cannony. If your opponent can't answer some critical cards, you'll win. But it's very easy to take out the win conditions. Monsters do have access to one of the best anti-Skellige cards in the game which is the Caretaker, for example.

J1M

Arcane
Skellige, yes. A lot of their decks are very glass cannony. If your opponent can't answer some critical cards, you'll win. But it's very easy to take out the win conditions. Monsters do have access to one of the best anti-Skellige cards in the game which is the Caretaker, for example.
Priestess let me retrieve those cards from the graveyard. What actually sunk my deck is when I logged in today the clan axeman was nerfed to only gain strength when opposing units took damage.

Granted, I was rocking over 80% win rate, but it would have been nice to use it for a few days at least. With this change, the deck is garbage.

Grubba

Arcane
Received a beta key for this months ago, forgot about it, but the recent lifecoach quitting Hearthstone drama jogged my memory so I decided to investigate. All new to me, never played any of the Witcher games, but so far I'm having a blast. There's a lot to like here...it's a different game style from the usual Magic/HS/Duelyst/etc...stuff (kinda reminiscent of that old Spellfire CCG, anyone remember that?). The 3-rounds-per-match setup, and the possibility of stuff carrying over into the next round, is a neat wrinkle that opens up different gameplay possibilities. The artwork is damn good & a refreshing change from Hearthstone's cartoonish comic book style, which leads me to the next positive thing: there's a big league company behind this. It's not some small group of people who ran a kickstarter to get their game off the ground. CDPR has the resources to bring this to the masses and support it for a long time. I think the fact that there's such high quality art on display shows that they're serious about this project.

First couple of nights playing were a bit rough, a lot of "wtf is going on?" moments, but things slowed down and became clearer once I started actually playing other people. Those AI decks you play against in practice mode are nuts, so the new player experience could use some work but it is still in closed beta and will probably improve. First deck I made was monster weather which apparently is what most people do because you already have a lot of core cards for it. Also helped that I pulled Dagon in the second keg I opened. I also got Henselt so I need to try out some kind of NR weenie reinforcement build. Past couple nights I've been playing a NG reveal deck that's a lot of fun, my mangonels chipping away at enemy units as I reveal their hand while buffing my own guys that still have yet to be played.

odrzut

Arcane
What I don't like is the power disparity between card rarities. A "normal" card will bump your power by 8 or so, with a gold card like Geralt bumping it by 12.

Geralt has no abilities, it's actually bad card. Common bronze nekker is better because of combos it allows with vran warrior, monster nest, and arachas (the one that spawns others when someone consume anything). Four +12 golden cards are worse than four 4-6 value bronzes that have synergy.

I guess once I get higher on the ladder people will start killing that vran warrior to stop the combo but so far I'm having a blast :)

J1M

Arcane
What I don't like is the power disparity between card rarities. A "normal" card will bump your power by 8 or so, with a gold card like Geralt bumping it by 12.

Geralt has no abilities, it's actually bad card. Common bronze nekker is better because of combos it allows with vran warrior, monster nest, and arachas (the one that spawns others when someone consume anything). Four +12 golden cards are worse than four 4-6 value bronzes that have synergy.

I guess once I get higher on the ladder people will start killing that vran warrior to stop the combo but so far I'm having a blast :)
One of the strengths of the design is that you can make a card worth more by using it in the right situation. The gold border on Geralt has a lot of hidden value, which may or may not be of value situationally. As you mentioned, it is immune to most card effects, including weather.

I don't disagree that it is a vanilla card, and others may be better. But that's probably why they gave it away for free. It works in any deck.

When I made the above statement, I didn't realize that decks had limits on the number of gold and silver cards they could contain. It also became clear that card rarity and gold/silver/bronze were not the same thing. So the comment may still apply to expensive/rarer cards, rather than gold ones.

Grubba

Arcane
Another thing that's great about this game is how when you open a keg you get to pick from 3 random cards for your "rare or higher" card. Makes acquiring cards for your decks so much easier. Just now snagged a Vattier De Rideaux for my NG reveal deck

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Main thing that bothers in this game is the lack of communication, not even emotes to use. Feels like playing against AI.

One thing I noticed when I launched it recently is that they have been doing some p. sweeping balance changes. Good I guess, means they are paying attention.

hivemind

NG control is such a comfy deck.

I feel like my current list can beat any of the ladder cancer solitaire decks like skelige discard, consume monsters and the autistic dwarf deck if I play perfectly and not get too unlucky.

Great way to climb ranks and also improve myself.

v1rus

Arcane
I rather like it, for now. Hope I won't get burnt out before I learn the game/build a collection. Never played Witcher, so I'm missing the lore aspect, something which I feel is a big part of the game.

On a side note, started playing Witcher. Boy, that combat sure is awful.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I'm really getting into this game. Much better than Hearthstone or any of that.

Only wish is that I could play it on my phone...maybe some day.

Grubba

Arcane
The new patch that dropped at the end of last week has really shaken things up! Positioning and nerfs/buffs have changed things dramatically: row-stacking ST dwarf decks are dead, no more breedable nekker bullshit (consume monsters is still a thing, though), and SK discard seems to have disappeared (temporarily perhaps). NG and NR have gotten a boost, especially NR. I've been stomping people with my NR reinforced trebuchet deck (pings every turn now) and that crazy Henselt siege tower/Margarita build is the meme deck du jour. New graphics changes too. Better board layout, some animations are faster & smoother. I've only been playing for about a month but the game feels refreshed.

There are definitely some annoying new issues though. It takes multiple attempts to queue into a game now, keeps booting me out of the "searching for opponent" screen. There's also a bug with resurrecting units from the graveyard where it won't let you place the unit on the board (though you can just wait for the time to run out on your turn and it will happen automatically, still annoying though). Cards that buff adjacent units sometimes buff the wrong guys, doesn't happen all the time though. Oh well, #ClosedBetaThings.

RuySan

Augur
Is there going to be a wipe after the closed beta is over? I'm not really into investing myself in the game in this situation.

hivemind

yes there will be wipe

you get back all the kegs you purchased plus 2 for each rank achieved and 2 for every 5 levels after level 5

Trotsky

Arcane
I like the changes to Nilfgaard and Northern Realms. In general I prefer buffs over nerfs the Scoia'tael nerf was totally unnecessary the faction was perfect as it was with two viable play styles but now it's bottom tier crap. The ebb and flow of the meta has changed a lot but Scoia'tael was generally a balanced faction unlike now. Geralt Igni needed to be nerfed before dwarves or anything else. I also dislike the more colorful/cartoonish game board. This balance change has been polarizing for me and other long term players.

hivemind

In general I prefer buffs over nerfs the Scoia'tael nerf was totally unnecessary
The only nerf ST received was removing rowstacking cancer which happened to all factions. It was a terrible archetype, brainless to play and very boring to play against.

now it's bottom tier crap.
Isn't ST control with ambush cards cucking everything right now? Like what deck has a positive matchup against them and their triple scorches?

I also dislike the more colorful/cartoonish game board.
agree

Grubba

Arcane
now it's bottom tier crap.
Isn't ST control with ambush cards cucking everything right now? Like what deck has a positive matchup against them and their triple scorches?

Monsters has that one griffin unit that moves a card from your opponent's graveyard to yours so that's one way to deal with multiple scorches. That or play ST yourself and use that silver ambush unit that counters the next special card, I guess.

Ambush cards are kind of broken in their current state. While face down they're like gold cards but actually better because you can't even target them with d-shackles to lock.

Lots of people playing greedy-ass decks now since the patch hit. Lots of big buffed up axemen, impera brigades, and of course monster consume units. Probably a good idea to run mardroemes and good ol' d-bomb.

Trotsky

Arcane
I never encountered that many Scoia'tael opponents past or present most people don't like their non human focus but unlike monsters they aren't an easy win.

The dwarves no longer being resilient and staying on the board for all three rounds makes them less unique & a weaker faction with only one viable play style.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Main thing that bothers in this game is the lack of communication, not even emotes to use. Feels like playing against AI.

One thing I noticed when I launched it recently is that they have been doing some p. sweeping balance changes. Good I guess, means they are paying attention.

Emotes are a thing now. Just click on your avatar and you'll see a list.

Gwent-2017-03-08-16-52-09-47-.jpg

Last edited:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
As for me, I am still going through the grind for level 10. Found some *moderate* success AKA I managed to win some matches in the casual section with a deck that focused primarily on spawning tons of units with a devour/breed combo where I would have the one colossus (can't remember the name now) in the back making a spider every time one of my devourers ate something.

Might try tweaking one of the decks in the deck database on curse.com and see if I can't get anywhere with that.

One bad side of this deck is if your opponent is sporting those bears that weaken you while they have their axemen out who get stronger every time a unit gets weakened. Definitely recommend carrying Azul's Thunder to remove those damned things.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
So far having some good results in the casual section with this Monster deck: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/16094-top-10-5000-mmr-no-vran-consume-guide-freddybabes Only thing I did was switch Dagon for Eredin (for now) simply because I can't seem to make Dagon's ability work in my favor as I am usually fielding non-Weather Immune units in the melee and siege rows. Most people tend to avoid stacking those rows or I have too many units there that I cannot afford to have drained all the way down to 1 strength.

Trotsky

Arcane
The most popular youtube Gwent content producers are KingBlackToof, McBeard, AdamCaltanas, MegaMogwai and Merchant.

I like them all in different ways but only Merchant produced the most comprehensive and relatively up to date card review list.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom