Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Zetor

Arcane
Players are really bad at understanding probability.
Meh. I definitely understand probability, but still prefer approaches that "fudge" the rolls to prevent absurd streaks (though I prefer this both applied to my faction as well as enemies).
If getting wrecked by 4 extremely unlikely hits by the enemy in a row or not managing to finish off that enemy despite 4 70+% rolls is your definition of fun, then so be it.
It is definitely not my definition of fun.

I enjoy games despite that, of course (especially BB ;) ), but I'd prefer if they added an option to enable/disable this evening out of extreme streaks. Another good example of how options in game mechanics would improve a game.
Ideally in a tactics game relying heavily on RNG you'd have ways to mitigate outcomes like that (at a resource cost, of course). F'rex, I don't think nuXCOM2 would be playable in ironman without grenadiers / gremlin attack protocol / advanced stocks / etc.

In BB you have a few ways to mitigate RNG on the tactical layer (mainly nets and war dogs), though you do need to build your strategy to include them, and they aren't as reliable as their nuXCOM analogues.

(I personally prefer the Invisible Inc / Telepath Tactics approach to tactical combat, but that wouldn't really work in a game like this)
Armor (+perk) does much of the mitigating for you tbh, especially over multiple battles. I keep forgetting to spam wardogs, but I don't like my dogs dying... It's your best option against endgame ranged unit spam though I guess.
I was more referring to the "miss five high-chance hits in a row, then the enemies get lucky rolls and obliterate some level 11 bro" situation. Armor works to a point, but if the enemies land simultaneous headshots on your frontliner (even if you have colossus + nine lives + that 'less head damage' perk) before you have a chance to do anything AND then (if they survive) after combat they end up with a career-ending permanent injury, it's gg.

At least from what I've remember, a huge part of nuXCOM is keeping a large stock of guaranteed damage packets, and tossing them out when "that fucker gotta die right now". Nets in BB are a low-level analogue to this, and wardogs make an OK mimic beacon replacement... but you don't have the level of control you'd have in nuXCOM. And IMO that's fine.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
I just fought a couple necrosavants and 7 undead legionaires. I didn't know what a necrosavant was, but I thought I could manage it considering everything I had done up to that point. Boy, was I wrong...

Did manage to kill all the legionaires and one of the necrosavants, but my entire party was wiped out. Guess I should have retreated, huh? At least I got an achievement for killing one of them.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Guess Hard West had a decent system, where facing shots that missed would bring down your Luck levels, which increased your chances of being shot. So basically the streakbreaker, but sounds better.

Was great system - if you missed, you still got something out of it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The green menace have finally been stopped, but at a great cost. Most of the lands are now empty, only the southern parts survived the onslaught and one little hardy village up north. Mankind has a lot to rebuild.

uw3IwXR.jpg

My three best men. All with me from the start. One companion died in the beginning though. It's a shame, but I can't remember his name.
d8nHrXM.jpg

KlJv8mZ.jpg

R92kd1V.jpg

A bittersweet ending. The captain retired but the company persisted through and still to this day roam the land in search for contract work.

53Wevj4.jpg

Great game. Frustrating as hell at times. Wish it had more simulation mechanics, but despise that well worth the 100+ hour playthrough.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
day... 249?

I intended to struggle through to the end of this ork invasion so that I can have at least one 'full playthrough' 'finished', but I'm at day 110something and bored out of my skull. I thought it wouldn't take more than 150 at most.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah the war took a hell of a long time. I did other contracts too, since I needed money and upgrade my troopers. The last part of the war felt like a hellish grind though, had to cut down hundreds of orcs. Then all of sudden out of the blue it just ended.

tindrli

Arcane
Those armored undeads combinated with necros in destroyed human village that i tried to retake at day 111 were too much for my bros

Explorerbc

Arcane
day... 249?

I intended to struggle through to the end of this ork invasion so that I can have at least one 'full playthrough' 'finished', but I'm at day 110something and bored out of my skull. I thought it wouldn't take more than 150 at most.

Maybe it's not his first crisis in this playthrough. After you finish one then you get another one later and so on.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing the game on and off since the first early access version and I never got past day ~120. Once I hit max level on my best mercs and have more or less highest tier gear on everyone I lose interest, now that the crisis happens around that time it's the perfect moment to retire after you deal with it.

Andnjord

Arcane
The green menace have finally been stopped, but at a great cost. Most of the lands are now empty, only the southern parts survived the onslaught and one little hardy village up north. Mankind has a lot to rebuild.

uw3IwXR.jpg

My three best men. All with me from the start. One companion died in the beginning though. It's a shame, but I can't remember his name.
d8nHrXM.jpg

KlJv8mZ.jpg

R92kd1V.jpg

A bittersweet ending. The captain retired but the company persisted through and still to this day roam the land in search for contract work.

53Wevj4.jpg

Great game. Frustrating as hell at times. Wish it had more simulation mechanics, but despise that well worth the 100+ hour playthrough.
Rolling around with a two handed sword, just a mail hauberk, 60 melee skill and only 5 melee defence?!? Man, I'm amazed he survived to level 11 :salute:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
He was actually a flail trained guy, but just tried him out as a two-hander dude at the end :)

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

uw3IwXR.jpg

d8nHrXM.jpg

KlJv8mZ.jpg

R92kd1V.jpg

53Wevj4.jpg

Dem melee skill levels man, I can see the game wasn't challenging enough for you so you had to even the odds in it's favor :D

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Well, when you constantly get shit rolls what can you do. Still though, the melee skill didn't seem to matter to these guys. They cut down so many orcs that it would make a warhammer space marine proud.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
All enemy rolls are hidden so I am not exactly sure if the 'rng conspiracy theorist' are completely wrong.
Sometimes you get completely silly either good or bad rolls. Like five enemy marksman hitting the same guy in row or you missing all attacks in one turn.
There is possibility that there is some wrong code inside and it skewer it somewhat.
And what is strange I rarely(if I remember correctly) have this feeling in early builds like up to pre release one and I have spend tons of time in this game.
But sure RNG give RNG take.

Modron

Arcane
All enemy rolls are hidden so I am not exactly sure if the 'rng conspiracy theorist' are completely wrong.
Sometimes you get completely silly either good or bad rolls. Like five enemy marksman hitting the same guy in row or you missing all attacks in one turn.
There is possibility that there is some wrong code inside and it skewer it somewhat.
And what is strange I rarely(if I remember correctly) have this feeling in early builds like up to pre release one and I have spend tons of time in this game.
It's like Mordheim all over again. Remind me what was the conclusion there?

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar

No. It is just confirmation bias. Those terrible rolls don't happen very often, but when they do you remember them, and they're the only ones you remember.

Murk

Arcane
Pretty cool thing happened. Got the "kill what's terrorizing villagers" contract, track down the dire wolves' paw prints and start fight... only to find a group of diguised bandits that are wearing dire wolf armor. Kill them, get one of the armors -- p cool. 140 dura, causes morale damage to enemies around the wearer, looks p dope.

cannondwarf

Scholar
Anyone tried playing through Wine? I switched to Arch on my laptop and I'm curious if I can play without too many problems

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Anyone tried playing through Wine? I switched to Arch on my laptop and I'm curious if I can play without too many problems

Plays just fine in Wine 2.5. You will need to run "winetricks vcrun2015" before playing the game.
I didn't need any additional steps to get it working. JUst install and play in steam.

The game would just hang until I ran "winetricks vcrun2015" in a clean prefix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom