Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Falksi

Arcane
For those who have played it, just how much is it like the horrendous DA:I?
I'm assuming the combat is way better, but is there that rotten MMO feel with fetch quests drowning everything? And that total disconnection from any fun via chore-like filler making up the majority of the game?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm assuming the combat is way better, but is there that rotten MMO feel with fetch quests drowning everything? And that total disconnection from any fun via chore-like filler making up the majority of the game?
FAR worse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The rotten feel is there but it's a tiny bit better. It's much better if you actually care about the fanfiction lore, dreary dialogue and piles of dull exposition text the fetch quests yield. In DAI if you sent your crack team to an unexplored region to obtain a mysterious reward all you got was some basic bitch sword that'd be obsolete 5 levels ago. In MEA all the MMO quests flesh out the world. Problem is nobody gives a shit about the stupid world and you won't either.

Overall fetch quests are not the biggest issue with this game, not even close.

Falksi

Arcane
The rotten feel is there but it's a tiny bit better. It's much better if you actually care about the fanfiction lore, dreary dialogue and piles of dull exposition text the fetch quests yield. In DAI if you sent your crack team to an unexplored region to obtain a mysterious reward all you got was some basic bitch sword that'd be obsolete 5 levels ago. In MEA all the MMO quests flesh out the world. Problem is nobody gives a shit about the stupid world and you won't either.

Cheers mate. Fuck knows why they continue with this retarded approach. This has all stemmed from open world games, but Bioware are too retarded to grasp that the enjoyment in exploring is finding things worth finding, and enjoying the journey too.

Cheers mate. Fuck knows why they continue with this retarded approach.

no effort, all sales.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cheers mate. Fuck knows why they continue with this retarded approach.

My guess is by the time DAI came out and everyone shat on the MMO system MEA was way too far in development to change anything. But if they release another game like that then they are either genuinelly retarded or the C-team that Bioware was reduced to just doesn't know any better.

I was looking on the Chans the other day and they still haven't fixed it, they reversed the gun for sure but they cut of the front end of the gun, that's why you've got a muzzle flare over a vacant space and a barrel added after underneath:D

anyway I can't find the image but here's a picture I rustled up to explain...

joke_gun.jpg

EDIT Yes and before you get on my case I know the difference between an exhaust and a barrel yet it seems Bioware doesn't.

Last edited:

Grif

Learned

I was looking on the Chans the other day and they still haven't fixed it, they reversed the gun for sure but they cut of the front end of the gun, that's why you've got a muzzle flare over a vacant space and a barrel added after underneath:D

joke_gun.jpg

EDIT Yes and before you get on my case I know the difference between an exhaust and a barrel yet it seems Bioware doesn't.

Is there a reason why they half-assed even what should be a straightforward fix? (I'm assuming it shouldn't take too much effort to reverse a gun model.) I'm really struggling to think of a reason why they would even bother.

joke_gun.jpg

Is there a reason why they half-assed even what should be a straightforward fix? (I'm assuming it shouldn't take too much effort to reverse a gun model.) I'm really struggling to think of a reason why they would even bother.

What apart from them being completely shit at everything? The $40 million dollar budget sounded fishy to me , now it seems they are blaming the game on the outsourcing to Romania, which would make the budget seem right...

...But you have to ask how can you buy this game and blame Biowares C team or EA's artists in Romania for making a game they new to be sub standard but would sell on the franchise...

...If you bought this game you are a joke because EA has just repacked a burger made with with chemicals and chlorine from an eastern euporean gypsy hole and sold it to you as a a AAA game. You should be ashamed and ask for your money back.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Remember when games came out and that was what you got? I miss the days where developers couldn't rush garbage out the door then fix it later with patches.

Drakron

Arcane
I'm really struggling to think of a reason why they would even bother.

I suspect its just because of it being one of the memes, I agree its not too important but its also easier to fix that solving the underlying problems of design.

You cannot easily fixed the shitty 200 side quests of it being a open world or fix the shitty itemization system, those are simply too extensive that of just a animation model change, it makes then look they are aware of the problems and are trying to solve them, not that they are as that would require a extensive redo of the game.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
While I think this is accurate, I think it understates the achievement of the setting design/story. While ME was being made I was doing my preproduction work on Star Captain, and basically set out to read/watch/play every space opera thing out there so that I could capture the key qualities of such stories and signature moments. Then I played ME, and realized they'd done essentially exactly what I set out to do. Saying that it's "just old cliches" is a pejorative way of saying that they researched broadly and deeply in the genre and successfully distilled the cool parts of it. IMO Star Control II is the only other game that achieves something similar; even Starflight, which is very good, is not in Mass Effect's league IMO. (Obviously, ME borrowed a fair amount directly from the Star Control franchise, but I'm fairly sure that they also read a lot of other space opera.)
So where did Casey Hudson go so wrong with 2 (let's not speak of 3). Unless, "Director," doesn't mean the same thing in video games as it does in movies, how does a sequel become so detached from the original that you can't help but view it as fan-fiction? Forget writing, as 2 was serviceable in that regard, but the art style was altered, the music was destroyed, and the environments were closed off to facilitate the appearance of better graphics. Was that Hudson's call?

Yes, I'm still really pissed about the all-synth soundtrack being changed to standard Hollywood orchestral drivel. That alone probably could've saved 2 in my eyes. Fuckin' lower wards, man.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So where did Casey Hudson go so wrong with 2 (let's not speak of 3). Unless, "Director," doesn't mean the same thing in video games as it does in movies, how does a sequel become so detached from the original that you can't help but view it as fan-fiction? Forget writing, as 2 was serviceable in that regard, but the art style was altered, the music was destroyed, and the environments were closed off to facilitate the appearance of better graphics. Was that Hudson's call?
These seem like fairly unrelated issues, and I have no insider knowledge. I happened to like ME2, although it seemed like all wind up and no pitch, and the boss was obviously ridiculous. My only guess is that they figured they couldn't really rehash ME1's structure without it going downhill, so they tried a different angle. Incidentally, I think ME2 also drew upon a variety of space opera tropes that hadn't really been captured in ME1, so I think they did a pretty good in that respect, too. That said, I didn't like ME2 enough to play ME3.

Drakron

Arcane
ME3 is a betrayal of the series as it very shifted the tone, ME2 was ... different but it was kinda like The Dirty Dozen were you assemble a crew to take on a mission, I am more forgiving on ME2 simply because it was still within the same overall tone, ME3 shifted into being unrecognizable in tone and that was from the start, they should had never started with the Reapers appearing and starting to wreck shit, they should never come up with the Crucible that not only was pulled from their asses but worst, they made the whole thing irrelevant as a gotcha so we would have the red/green/blue choices were nothing we did before mattered.

pippin

I remember reading that the original composer found out through social media that the Requiem for a Dream guy was working on ME3
Or perhaps it was that this guy leaked me3 by saying he was working on it. I dunno. Perhaps they chose him for a more "cinematic" feel. The sad piano melodies really stand out like a sore thumb.

donkeymong

Scholar
ME3 is a betrayal of the series as it very shifted the tone, ME2 was ... different but it was kinda like The Dirty Dozen were you assemble a crew to take on a mission, I am more forgiving on ME2 simply because it was still within the same overall tone, ME3 shifted into being unrecognizable in tone and that was from the start, they should had never started with the Reapers appearing and starting to wreck shit, they should never come up with the Crucible that not only was pulled from their asses but worst, they made the whole thing irrelevant as a gotcha so we would have the red/green/blue choices were nothing we did before mattered.
Same overall tone??? High heels in combat, Space Jesus, superheroes costumes that were nearly as awfull as the bikini armor mods in Elder Scrolls games, breathers in space, biotics
and tech gimped, ammo, wait no, thermal clips...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom