Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you like from genres you hate

Reinhardt

Arcane
Blood and AvP 1-2.

laclongquan

Arcane
I am not as crazy about Homeworld as I was about WZ2100. It's a pretty good game but somehow it didnt get my heart pumped like that. There is something about control a light tank as recon running back for safety like a chicken while an avalanche of enemy tanks chase my ass, then a flash of thunder as the defending battery start dropping mortar on them, and Main Battle Tanks start getting out of their hidey holes to flank the column.

Axe Father

Savant
There are naturally some genres that I don't like or rarely play. Flight simulators for example. I still recommend LHX Attack Chopper for its versatile gameplay due to the four choppers available, and I have much respect for games like Their Finest Hour: The Battle for Britain, Secret Weapons of the Lüftwaffe and Red Baron.

In the same boat as you. I actually always have wanted to dive into hyper-realistic sims like Falcon but I always feel that I lack the time and patience to learn how to fly. It's a real commitment.

The two sims I played that I really enjoyed and was able to just jump into and play were both Apache and Hind by Digital Integration. I especially liked how you could play two-player co-op with a human pilot and gunner. Did that a couple times and it was a blast. When I mentioned I liked those two for that reason elsewhere, I was told I'd like Jane's Longbow 2, but I can't get the damn game to run at all even with all the fixes online.

Not into racing games at all, but I really like F-Zero...

Hell yeah. Never been one for any sort of racing game, but F-Zero GX is one of my favourite games, full stop.

Xzar

Augur
I was inspired by Bayonetta release - I hate slashers, never liked single game from this genre, but now thats it on Steam I'm wondering if I will like it.
Have you ever played Ninja Gaiden?
No, I'm PC-only gamer since 2001. Before that, had NES, Mega Drive and PS1. And as I understand, only Yaiba is available for PC. And its reviews, artwork and gameplay videos dont insipire me at all.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
Everquest Online Adventures was the only MMORPG I ever liked. Tried a few others briefly but they're all so boring and repetitive. Well, EQOA was admittedly repetitive too but it had a well-designed seamless world, and the fact they pulled off such a game on the PlayStation 2 was impressive from a technical standpoint. It also didn't emphasize GARISH PHAT LEWTZ as much as other MMORPGs seem to. Sony took it permanently offline a few years ago.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I am terrible at action games or games requiring high coordination, Pac-Man in particular, but I tried Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ and it was like crack. The leader-boards and ranking systems in this game are fantastic. Don't bother with the sequel, it stinks.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Don't worry, you won't be crucified

Now, if you could please just place your head through this hole, thank you

5e3404c1e25f08dab43613b740d1e612.jpg

Gunnar

Arbiter
I'm not into the stealth genre but there's something about Mark of the Ninja that I enjoyed - so satisfying to jump out of the shadows and impale some guards. Not into ghosting at all, even in that game though.

Roguelikes in general drive me crazy after a while, getting slapped back on a dime and losing all my progress, but I had a blast with both FTL and NEO Scavenger. I think these games are tight enough that you don't feel like you've lost so much progress like you would in say, tome.

pippin

It's better to ghost through Mark of the NInja with a brand new playthrough, ng+ makes it too easy.

J1M

Arcane
Mario Super Strikers (GCN) is a fun sports title. It looks like soccer but plays like hockey.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tower Defense games - yuck.

However Sang Froid - Tales of Werewolves is quite entertaining. And they recently made it free on Steam, too.

Before each level you know the path and objective the enemies will have so you have to set traps accordingly, to kill, damage or re-route them. You can also run around freely in the maps. There's also a simple skill tree, inventory items, different weapons, etc. Not bad at all.

Hate is such a strong word. Can't enjoy everything, everything is not for everyone and other platitudes.

Mario Karts up to Doudle Dash, Diddy Kong Racing and Extreme-G.

Soldiers of Fortune, S.T.A.L.K.E.R ,E.Y.E. and N64 era shooters such as Perfect Dark and Turoks.

The Smash Brothers series and Clayfighter series.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
JRPG seems like a really common theme here. For me it was Dragon Quest 8. I tried it out of bored curiousity and ended up bingeing on it for hours, then ordering my own copy on Amazon the next day. I keep expecting to hear that the Dragon Quest series is going to be ported over, like they've done with Final Fantasy

I hate tower defense - but original Plants Vs. Zombies is a great game.

I generally hate popamole shooters but Call of Duty Modern Warfare on the hardest difficulty was essentially a fun puzzle game.

Most console shooters are trash but Halo and Halo 2 were excellent and challenging - and a ton of fun cooperative.

I get bored to tears of 3D platformers but Beyond Good and Evil is a treat.

I also get bored of 2D platformers but the Lego games are fun to play with a spouse/partner.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I don't like racing games but I do like Mario Kart and FZero. Also like Downhill Domination!

I don't like turn based but I do like the Quest. I'm trying to get into turn based more after I'm done with infinity engine games. I think I'll try Divinity OS first. I like the idea of blobbers so I might even Look into Grimoire.

One genre I can't break into is the Jrpg. I just don't get it. What am I missing

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Ditto JRPG -- But the Mother series has always tickled my fancy. And Front Mission. not counting SRPGS, I tend to enjoy those far more than static-3-option-menu combat.

I quit most FPS shooters after the first hour. I've never finished any of the STALKER games but I keep coming back to them for a bit year after year. And I still find Half Life 2 and its expansions enjoyable every couple years. Like slipping on an old shoe.

I think Warcraft 2 is the only RTS I actually finished campaigns on, I went back to it after graduating highschool out of nostalgia for playing custom maps with friends back in junior high.

Platformers....never. Can't into castlevania/metroid/metroidvania et al. 3d platformers doubly so.
I try every Zelda game but I always lose interest except for beating Link's Awakening on the original gameboy back when I was a kid, because it was one of the only remotely rpgish games for that system in a time when i had access to nothing else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom