Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship RPG Update #14

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Will there be power armour here too? Or stun guns / pulse rifles (instead of nets / bolas)?

Anyway, great update BUT it seems that almost everything from AoD will be rehashed. Which is not necessarily bad since AoD ideas were great but still something new and fresh would make a huge difference IMO. I suggest to add a teleportation device.:troll:

Gadgets are a novelty sure, but then again we've seen things like this already and unique ideas can often make a game memorable. I know it's easier said than done (and probably coming up with something new and viable is impossible) but still...

Aenra

Meh.. Partial recycling/re-using is neither good nor bad; depends on the why, how and whom (studio) from.
Things that 'worked', stuff we loved, i wouldn't want them to throw out the window just because, now would i.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Will there be power armour here too? Or stun guns / pulse rifles (instead of nets / bolas)?
There will be a power armor but no stun guns.

Anyway, great update BUT it seems that almost everything from AoD will be rehashed. Which is not necessarily bad since AoD ideas were great but still something new and fresh would make a huge difference IMO.
The AoD mechanics are a foundation to improve and build upon. Why would we discard it completely? At the same time I assure you that the game will play very differently (even combat) and nobody will think that it's AoD in space. There are a lot of new mechanics and features and we aren't reusing everything blindly.

Gadgets are a novelty sure, but then again we've seen things like this already and unique ideas can often make a game memorable. I know it's easier said than done (and probably coming up with something new and viable is impossible) but still...
We aren't looking for something new and unique here, we're looking for what works with ranged combat and makes it better. Cover is a must but we don't want you to rely on it or run to the nearest object. Grenades will modify battlefield conditions and enemies' stats. The stimulants are lifted directly from AoD but they are the ones that should be there: a way to heal yourself (over time is better than instant heal), short-term AP bonus, "berserk" stimulant for melee fighters. Such things can be found in many games.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's the plan and we should be able but obviously it's too early to say.
You really love them power armors, don't you?
A power armor is hardly out of place in a sci-fi game. There is a logical progression of pre-mutiny armor sets: guard armor to keep people in check, anti-riot armor when things escalate, combat armor when riots turn into open war, power armor if the regular combat troops fail to contain the rebellion.

How many genders are in the game?
Two.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
The power armor will be a one piece armor or multiple pieces?I like multi pieces,that way you can mix various pieces from different armors.

Vault Dweller

Developer
All armor except for the jumpsuit will come in multiple pieces so you'll be able to combine them as you see fit. The power armor isn't bulky so its parts won't look out of place with other armor sets.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
thanks,will power armor have an energy source like in AOD but disposable?

Aenra

Vault Dweller Maybe old news to some, but.. who does the music? And have you anything to share this early on? Or if not (which is understandable given the timing), any hints as to what we can expect? Thematically?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller Maybe old news to some, but.. who does the music? And have you anything to share this early on? Or if not (which is understandable given the timing), any hints as to what we can expect? Thematically?
Same guy who did the music for AoD and DR as we prefer to work with proven, dedicated people. We don't have anything to share yet as ideally he'd play an early build first and get a good feeling of each location.

Zeriel

Arcane
A power armor is hardly out of place in a sci-fi game. There is a logical progression of pre-mutiny armor sets: guard armor to keep people in check, anti-riot armor when things escalate, combat armor when riots turn into open war, power armor if the regular combat troops fail to contain the rebellion.

Two.

Power armor seems more like rule of cool to me. Wouldn't ultimate suppression be combot robots (i.e, drone power armor suits) that can fulfill combat needs better than a human in the suit, supplemented with actual humans on the ground to supervise?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Power armor seems more like rule of cool to me. Wouldn't ultimate suppression be combot robots (i.e, drone power armor suits) that can fulfill combat needs better than a human in the suit, supplemented with actual humans on the ground to supervise?
Tell that to DARPA.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/us-military-readies-iron-man-style-suit-for-deployment/

Just two years ago in 2013, the U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) partnered with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to engineer a next-generation, super-soldier style suit for military operators. According to Defense One, the team’s early blueprint aimed to outfit the suit with full-body ballistic protection, integrated heating and cooling systems, 3D audio, embedded sensors and computers, and life-saving oxygen and hemorrhage controls — among other advanced tech.
In general, I doubt that droids would ever replace human soldiers so the latter would need advanced armor fitting the description above.

Aenra

In general, I doubt that droids would ever replace human soldiers so the latter would need advanced armor fitting the description above.

Don't just doubt, count on it. Costs too much :)
Humans on the other hand.. more than we could ever find a use for.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I think we should.

TNW_logo_wip_zpsupvswr4b.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom