Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lamplight City - detective adventure set in an alternate steampunk-ish "Victorian" past

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.grundislavgames.com/lamplightcity/

https://af.gog.com/game/lamplight_city?as=1649904300

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53962.0

ZNNTVdz.png

The Gateway to Vespuccia, the City of Air and Light, Lamplight City—the thriving port city of New Bretagne is a beacon of progress and industrial advancement in the New World. Yet beneath the promises of a shining 19th-century future, the city rests upon foundations of poverty, class struggle, and crime.

For police detective turned private investigator Miles Fordham, Lamplight City's shadowy corners are just part of the territory. But with his former partner constantly speaking to him from beyond the grave, his grip on sanity is slowly loosening. Can Miles find justice for his clients and track down his partner’s killer before his entire world comes apart?

Lamplight City is a detective adventure set in an alternate steampunk-ish "Victorian" past.

Features:
- Five cases to solve, each with multiple potential suspects, false leads, and lasting consequences.
- Single click interface and no inventory (gather clues in your casebook)
- A whopping 640x400 resolution!
- An entire fictional city with four boroughs to explore, each with their own unique flavor.
- Heavily inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe and Charles Dickens.

Estimated Release: 2017

Screenshots

Ja76w44.png

Navigate the filth and squalor of Cholmondeley, AKA "The Chum."

wqCOaKT.png

Investigate the homes of the fabulously wealthy residents of Lyon.

A3gRGcz.png

Explore the borough of Gascogne, inspired by New Orleans's French Quarter.

A31jnz5.png

Search for clues in Worcester, the working class part of town.

WV2jOXK.png

Interrogate suspects and witnesses in a closeup view.

MHUsbu2.png

The dead hold just as many secrets as the living.

Francisco (Golden Wake/Shardlight) is working on something that I will most likely publish when it's done.

wadget.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Francisco said he's doing the art on this one himself too, which is pretty impressive. I wish I'd developed my art skills more. I still draw like a friggin' toddler.

Bt

Boleskine

Arcane
The developer talks a little about the game here (go to 1 hour 0 minute 38 second timestamp).

"...I would like to break out into the more mainstream. In fact that's what I'm trying to do with my current game. I'm actually hesitant to call it an adventure game. I've been calling it a detective game... For those people who are hardcore adventure game fans and who love adventure games and who love puzzles and stuff like that, they're probably not going to like it because it doesn't have traditional adventure g-- I mean... the games that I have made, the biggest complaint that I've heard from the so-called hardcore fans are that the puzzles are too easy. So, I kind of wanted to see about taking people who, when they hear adventure games they think, "Oh, I hate adventure games. They don't make any sense. The puzzles are illogical. There are mazes and stupid things in them." And I want to show them that's not necessarily the case... and just kind of get those people interested."

Et tu, Francisco?

Actually he did say originally there's no inventory and the gameplay is focused on gathering clues in a casebook, but that approach can still have varying levels of difficulty. I'm still pretty interested in the game regardless.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So how does this look as a "detective game"? Does it have cool mechanics that make me feel like a detective, or is it just an adventure game with a detective theme? In other words, should I care?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why do the characters sprites have 1/4 of the background resolution. Placeholder?
Takes less computing power to present a statically drawn image than an animated one, so maybe they want this to run on a 286

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I assume Ben's too busy doing sprites for Dave's Dresden Files thing, and will come in and redo them for Francisco when he's done.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
A really classy post from Francisco about WEG's amicable parting of ways with him:
A Clean Break

I am no longer associated with Wadjet Eye Games.

In truth, I haven't been working full time for Wadjet Eye since April 2016. Shardlight was a commercial success, but a series of unfortunate circumstances meant I wasn't affordable anymore, and so I had to be let go. There was no animosity or ill-will, but we decided to keep it quiet to avoid questions, especially having just launched a successful game.

Dave Gilbert graciously said he'd be willing to publish my next game, which I had already pitched to him, and which you now may know as Lamplight City. I've been working on it full time but solo over the past year and change. As time has gone on, Dave has played builds of the game and made suggestions, although it's become clearer and clearer that our creative visions for the game haven't lined up.

And so, we decided it was for the best not to go forward with Wadjet Eye publishing the game. This was a mutual decision, and again, no animosity or ill-will exists between us. Sometimes things just don't work out.

As for the future of Lamplight City, I'm still figuring that out. I've already reached out to another publisher, but I'm taking it step by step. Rest assured, the game will still see the light of day, and I will continue working diligently on it.
Based on the kind Tweets back and forth between him and Dave, it looks like they're still great friends and hopefully will be collaborators again! Both are consummate professionals and did great things together, from A Golden Wake to Shardlight. I was really pleased to hear that Shardlight was a commercial success, and it's interesting that Francisco wanted to take Lamplight City in non-WEG direction (I assume that means puzzles!).

Boleskine

Arcane

http://www.application-systems.co.uk/lamplightcity/

Lamplight City
A detective adventure set in an alternate steampunk-ish "Victorian" past
The Gateway to Vespuccia, the City of Air and Light, Lamplight City - the thriving port city of New Bretagne is a beacon of progress and industrial advancement in the New World. Yet beneath the promises of a shining 19th-century future, the city rests upon foundations of poverty, class struggle, and crime.

For police detective turned private investigator Miles Fordham, Lamplight City's shadowy corners are just part of the territory. But with his former partner constantly speaking to him from beyond the grave, his grip on sanity is slowly loosening. Can Miles find justice for his clients and track down his partner's killer before his entire world comes apart?

Lamplight City is a detective adventure set in an alternate steampunk-ish "Victorian" past.

Features:
  • Be the detective you want to be. But prepare to face the consequences.
    Investigate crime scenes, interrogate suspects, get information by any means necessary. Follow the law or make your own rules, but how you choose to act will affect people's attitudes towards you.
  • Five cases to solve, with multiple suspects, false leads, and different outcomes.
    Never find yourself stuck in a dead-end situation. If the case becomes unsolvable, simply move on to the next one. The story will adapt based on your choices.
  • Single click interface with no inventory.
    Gather clues and documents in your casebook for review. Item manipulation is handled via a context-sensitive cursor.
  • A fictional city with four boroughs to explore, each with their own unique flavor.
    Players will visit each of these boroughs throughout the game, exploring themes such as class divide and the public's fear of emerging steam tech.
  • Heavily inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe and Charles Dickens.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The art looks great, very GabrielKnight-ish. If investigation and C&C is done relatively well, this could be something really cool.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Trailer:

Francisco's a machine. This will be the third adventure (A Golden Wake, Shardlight, and now this) that he's released in a three-year span. In the same period, only one other developer associated with WEG (including Dave) has released a single game, and that game, Technobabylon, was mostly a remake of an existing episodic AGS game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Play by the book or make your own rules"? Is this actually an adventure game with multiple solutions to obstacles?? :o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom