Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

Hyperion

Arcane
Do BRs play Monster Hunter?

Had the bad luck of trying some multiplayer in Toukiden 2 with 1 or 2 of them. Also had some rough interaction with one when I used the gamefaqs forums for Pawn Sharing, and Trading in Dragon's Dogma back in 2013 or '14. Took 6 motherfucking tries to get a Godsbane out of the dude when I started a new game. Seem similar enough that they'd wanna try MHW.

What would an anecdote about BRs be without a WoW story? Tried to play with a friend a few years back, got real lucky and won both the shield and the 2h sword from the rare spawn on my Warrior, and got the "fukin loser i reprot u huhuhuhuhuhu."

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
never played MH game before. is it grindy? is the combat at least good?

i like dragon's dogma but i think it is riddled with ridiculous HP bloat and the sidequests are sub par, will i like MH?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

i like dragon's dogma but i think it is riddled with ridiculous HP bloat and the sidequests are sub par, will i like MH?

Its grindy, yes, but it doesn't really have to be. If you want to make amazing sets then prepare to spend a lot of time farming the same monster over and over again trying to get a gem or something that has a 1% drop rate, but technically anything can be solo'd naked or with very minimal gear. I'd say the combat is amazing but has a high enjoyment curve. There's no lock on, which turns a lot of people off. I didn't enjoy it very much at first but when I got into the groove of the weapon I was using it became very enjoyable to the point where I even enjoyed the grind because I was having so much fun. Plus, there's the multiplayer aspect which always adds to enjoyability, at least for me.

Vorark

Erudite
I didn't enjoy it very much at first but when I got into the groove of the weapon I was using it became very enjoyable to the point where I even enjoyed the grind because I was having so much fun. Plus, there's the multiplayer aspect which always adds to enjoyability, at least for me.

Heh, typical. First time I played I thought it was a terrible game. Few months later, tried it again and it clicked. Doesn't help the first weapon I tried was the gunlance.

Vorark

Erudite
Sorry for the double post, but leaked E3 video has new footage.

Monster Hunter: World E3 2017 behind closed doors presentation leaked

MH-World-Leaked-Gameplay_06-16-17.jpg

An off-screen recording of the behind closed doors presentation of Monster Hunter: World from E3 2017 has leaked online.

The 22-minute video appeared on Chinese video sharing website Bilibili. We downloaded and uploaded the MP4 file here for more comfortable viewing.

The video itself is recorded at an off angle, and much of it is dark, but it provides an unseen look at the newly announced Monster Hunter game.

I couldn't embed it, so here's a repeat of the link https://u.nya.is/fzyrht.mp4.

Monster Hunter: World has item use while moving, base camps to change equipment, more details

Even more information on the newly announced console game.
MH-World-Info-Dengeki-Game-Watch_06-14-17.jpg

More details on Capcom’s newly announced Monster Hunter: World have come out via E3 2017 interviews published by Game Watch and Dengeki Online.

Here are all the notable tidbits:

• Planning included, the development period has been about four years.
  • The game engine is a reworked, next-generation MT Framework. It has been tuned up quite a bit, and although it is not the official name, they call it the “World Engine.”
  • As for why they’re making this, there were a lot of requests to play Monster Hunter on a home console, especially PlayStation 4.
  • Capcom combined the good parts of what it has cultivated so far with the existing concept of proper monster ecosystem depiction to create the concept of Monster Hunter: World. So this is a Monster Hunter game through and through. With that as the base, Capcom is putting in gameplay systems in the manner of, “let’s add this” or “let’s change here.”
  • The subtitle, “World,” means that it can be played worldwide, and that you can jump into the world of Monster Hunter as a hunter. That is the concept. As it is time to reevaluate Monster Hunter, they’re putting game concepts in titles instead of numbers. Monster Hunter: World feels like a numbered title.
  • There are currently no plans for a Switch version.
  • There are 14 weapon types.
  • The size of each field you visit during quests is 2.5-times the size of previous Monster Hunter fields. Each area is seamlessly connected and appears as one giant field.
  • Capcom is making an environment with dense fields, where things will happen and you’ll make various discoveries by simply walking around.
  • With the game being seamless, you cannot use methods such as “escaping to the next area to get yourself in order,” so they’re lightening up on actions such as recovering and eating while walking and mid-action cancellations.
  • The monster ecosystem has, to some extent, a hierarchical relationship. Since each monster has their own territory, they usually do not interfere with one another, but it is possible to lure them out of their territory and run into another monster. By making use of the environment like this, you can hunt while limiting the use of items and such. Rathalos stands at the top of the hierarchy in the ancient forest area seen in the trailer.
  • There are several base camps. You can also fast travel to move instantly.
  • You can change your equipment at base camps, even if you are in the middle of a quest.
  • The game proceeds in the same cycle of previous games, where you enter the field as a quest to achieve your objective. Achieving your objective will yield rewards.
  • There is a “Guidance Insect” that plays the role of a hunting dog. The Guidance Insect will tell you of usable items and traces of monsters (footprints, scratches, etc.) in the area, and following those traces will lead you to the whereabouts of that monster. The more traces there are, the clearer the guidance. Also, if you tag a place, the insect will guide you until you get there.
  • There is a greater emphasis on environmental dependence in that there are natural traps, falling rocks, small animals, plants that have recovery effects, plants that spread poison, and so on. For example, there are places where fallen trees bring the river to a stop, and if you free the water by destroying those trees with bombs or Rathalos’ breath, you can use that current to push monsters off of the cliff.
  • Hunters have a new piece of equipment called the “Slinger,” which can be used to shoot fruits and stones. Until now, it was necessary to select and use items like stones one by one, but this way is much simpler. The Slinger can also perform a wire action. However, in a place that fully supports it and under the right conditions you can use the wire to perform an aerial recovery when being blown away.
  • As for multiplayer, in addition to the previous way of doing it, there is also a drop-in system that allows anyone to jump in after you already started playing. When you’re in a difficult situation, you can send out an S.O.S. flare to call for help.
  • While you can match with players across the world, you can also only target your own country. (Editor’s Note: This is a Japanese interview, and they said you can target Japan, but we assume that means you can limit your search to your own country as well.)
  • The new monster that appeared in the trailer is called Angenaph. It is a warlike creature that attacks other monsters without hesitation. You won’t know its name at first during the game, but you’ll come to learn it as you gather its traces.
  • The yellow monster from the trailer is called Dosjugglus, and its smaller types are Jugglus. Dosjugglus leads a pack of Jugglus, has a heavy appetite, and is quarrelsome when hungry. It swallows up the prey it kills and gives what it spits out to its pack. If you attack it while it is eating its prey, Dosjugglus will spit it out.
  • When hiding yourself from monsters, you can do so in a clump of bushes or through a special equipment called the Ghillie Mantle. Since the Ghillie Mantle hides any indication of your presence, you can use it to safely replenish your items.
  • Damage numbers are displayed as a result of feedback that the parts where attacks are effective, attributes, and weakened states are difficult to understand by the monster’s behavior alone. While there was the idea of adding an HP bar, they wanted to preserve the element of judging a monster’s condition through its appearance, so they just added damage numbers.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunt...30-fps-on-consoles-but-not-necessarily-on-pc/

Monster Hunter: World is "targeting a stable 30fps across all platforms," according to a tweet from a Capcom community manager, which could be taken to mean that the PC version will either be locked to or designed for low framerates. However, the tweet was in response to a question about the console versions, and we've confirmed that this statement doesn't apply to the PC.

"The comments regarding framerate we've shared publicly apply to the Xbox One and PS4 versions," a Capcom rep told PC Gamer after we asked for clarification.

Even if the first PC Monster Hunter game were to target 30 fps on low or mid-range PC hardware, that doesn't necessarily rule out 60 fps or better performance on PC. Capcom's recent history helps put us at ease: Street Fighter 5 has a 60 fps cap, while Dragon's Dogma and Resident Evil 7 can both be pushed past 144Hz. That said, we haven't confirmed any hard details about the PC version of Monster Hunter: World, except that it will be releasing after the console versions.

Yesterday, producer Ryozo Tsujimoto and director Yuya Tokuda relayed to PC Gamer (through a translator who combined their answers) that the Monster Hunter: World PC version will not be "an outsourced port." Because of that, Tsujimoto and Tokuda say they're spending extra time on the PC version to "make sure it’s optimized and fine-tuned for the PC as much as possible."

"In terms of going over and above the console versions in terms of specs or features, we’re kind of running towards the development time now where we’re going to have the general game done, and then once we’ve got that in the can we can look towards what we can do for PC gamers," the developers said. "So, we don’t really have anything we can talk about at the moment."

Declinator

Arbiter
Monster Hunter World may very well have much less monsters than its latest predecessors because they can't really use the old assets. Seems like there isn't all that much new combat-wise in the game either but I like seamless maps. Will have to keep an eye on this.

The single-player bits and maybe half of the multiplayer parts don't need all that much grinding (certainly some) but end-game multiplayer enemies take a ridiculous amount of damage so for those you'll need to either grind for hours or employ helpers.

The combat is mechanically quite sound and the weapons are very different from each other so if you feel bored with one you can keep it fresh. Unfortunately most of the enemies (especially early game) are not very interesting to fight. The monster pool is considerable however, so even if most are uninteresting there is enough fun monsters to hopefully keep you engaged.

The beginnings of all the Monster Hunters I've played have been bad so stick with it for a while if you decide to give it a try.

I think the Monster Hunters I've played have all been better than Dragon's Dogma but I'm really not a fan of Dragon's Dogma which occupies a weird hybrid spot between action and RPG that I dislike whereas MH is pretty much pure action.

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Oh no, I didn't think about the old assets thing. I hope that doesn't mean they will have a super low monster count and axe a ton of old monsters that were in 3/4. That's the only possible bad thing about world I can think of.

Mozg

Arcane
I think the Monster Hunters I've played have all been better than Dragon's Dogma but I'm really not a fan of Dragon's Dogma which occupies a weird hybrid spot between action and RPG that I dislike whereas MH is pretty much pure action.

Whut, MH is like 75% RPG. Just because there's technically no XP doesn't mean it's seriously different from the RPG power-uppah structure. What do you think, "Use loot to get more loot to get more loot" is about? And the (extremely) different weapons are analogous to classes or builds in an ARPG; instead of committing to them via XP you're doing it by burning your loot to upgrade them.

Also "HP bloat" is real if you try to play it strictly single player and don't do the intended thing, which is to use MP groups to get your first couple of kills on whatever to get the parts you need to upgrade weapons. Then when you are over the power curve hump you can solo the same stuff to gather shit you need to trim out. Otherwise a fight you're "underlevelled" for takes 20 minutes of chipping away and guzzling consumables.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh no, I didn't think about the old assets thing. I hope that doesn't mean they will have a super low monster count and axe a ton of old monsters that were in 3/4. That's the only possible bad thing about world I can think of.
That's exactly what it'll mean. Not just monsters either, but weapons, armour and areas as well. And even other types of content, since more resources will need to be spent on those basics instead of extra things like new types of missions or minor systems like cooking or farms or whatever. Forgetting this is how you know you're a graphics whore.

The addition of damage numbers is interesting. I can't say it's a bad idea really; needing to consult a wiki for various damage formulas just to get a general idea of which weapons/elements/sharpness are actually doing decent damage was annoying. And maybe having those numbers show up will mean elemental weapons won't be so crappy for once.

sullynathan

Arcane

Monster Hunter is all grind, it is literally the core of the game and why people keep playing. Everything from combat to defeating monsters to collecting items, to crafting, creating armors and weapons and farming is grindy.

Perkel

Arcane

Monster Hunter is all grind, it is literally the core of the game and why people keep playing. Everything from combat to defeating monsters to collecting items, to crafting, creating armors and weapons and farming is grindy.

Grind is supposed to be mindless earning money/xp. In case of MH you hardly do that even when you try to kill monster few times.

Also grinding is entirely optional. You can go from 1 star quest to 6-7 star village quests in practically same gear or if you just hunt one monster max at the time you piece gear from what you can get and supple that with gems which means that you can finish whole game basically killing every monster once.

I personally tried that with mu new char in mhxx. Chick is still in velocidrome armor with iron katana on back and i was doing already HR.

G quest on other hand depend on both gear and skill. Though i don't think you can "grind them" as most of them are pretty fucking hard especially solo.

Perkel

Arcane
Damn i pretty fucking pumped for MH on PC.

My first MH was actually MHFU on PSP where i put it down after like 3-4 hours because a lot of random crap (like strongman pose after drinking potion) and crappy camera control.
Then my good friend sort of show me the way as we played together later on and finally it clicked with me. I think when clicked the most was when i finished Dark Souls 1 and i learned "hard combat" Then i started to appreciate combat in MH.

I think with recent info on new changes especially QoL like proper camera controls i think MHW will be success for capcom worldwide and hopefully with decent port of MH (imagine 4k@120fps after fucking 320x240 with 30fps lol with assets from 2006 barely upgraded)

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Also grinding is entirely optional. You can go from 1 star quest to 6-7 star village quests in practically same gear or if you just hunt one monster max at the time you piece gear from what you can get and supple that with gems which means that you can finish whole game basically killing every monster once.
I used the same armor I made at the start of high rank in 4U all the way to G2, but I wouldn't advise it. It was mostly laziness on my end.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Armor doesn't matter as much in G rank as most people think. Don't get hit and you don't have to worry about defense. Upgrading your weapon is very important though, as you won't be able to complete a hunt within the time limit if you have a shitty low-sharpness/damage weapon.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'm really interested in how improved the ai is from what they said about world. I've solod 3U and 4U so enhancing the core singleplayer game is welcomed. The map not being separated is nice to keep out loading zones but also prevents running to another zone to be safe from a monster, so that will be a neat addition to the difficulty. Imagine not being able to escape from a rage mode Diablos, Rajang, or Stygian.

sullynathan

Arcane
Grind is supposed to be mindless earning money/xp. In case of MH you hardly do that even when you try to kill monster few times.

I personally tried that with mu new char in mhxx. Chick is still in velocidrome armor with iron katana on back and i was doing already HR.

G quest on other hand depend on both gear and skill. Though i don't think you can "grind them" as most of them are pretty fucking hard especially solo.
if you want to purposefully handicap yourself then you won't grind, if you want to play the game optimally you grind

Perkel

Arcane
Bullshit. IF you even hunt once monster you will get usually 1 piece of gear. Then aside from monster specific are common stuff which does require stuff you usually accumulate over time.

So in essence you don't need to grind at all to beat game. Period.
Grank is the only thing that requires good gear.

---------------------------
---------------------------

NEW NEWS !

GAJIN HUNTER PERSONALLY CONFIRMED GUNNER/BLADEMASTER ARMOR DIVISION IS GONE. In demo dude went to camp switched out sword for heavy bow gun without changing armor. At least in demo.

Vorark

Erudite
Imagine not being able to escape from a rage mode Diablos

448.jpg

Guys, I forgot to post the sources of the info in my last post, sorry. Here you go:

Leaked E3 presentation: http://gematsu.com/2017/06/monster-hunter-world-e3-2017-behind-closed-doors-presentation-leaked
Info dump: http://gematsu.com/2017/06/monster-hunter-world-item-use-moving-base-camps-change-equipment-details

As mentioned, fighting the monsters is usually fun so I don't consider it a grind. What got annoying is later installments (ie, post FU) and is grindy is gathering minerals and those fucking charms. Like hell I'm gonna waste time looking for charms. I'm also part of the lazy people who fight in suboptimal armor.

Perkel hopefully true, gunner armor is usually better than blademaster, for both sexes.

Vorark

Erudite
I was the autistic person who charm sniped in 3U for the exact perfect charm to complete my armor set. It was worth it.

Dunno if congrats or a case of autism. :shittydog:

On one hand, charms allow you to have more endgame variety. In FU, most people used the same armors with the same gems. On the other, it is a fucking pain to find a decent one. At least in P3rd you could abuse the cats to gather them for you.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I got
-Honed Blade
-Rock Steady
-Bombardier or Status Att +1
-Stam Recov Up

With my dual blades. I solod the event mission abyssal lagiacrus in order to complete the set, I had to kill that fucker twice. I was fighting the clock more than the monster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom