Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Time is only important for faggot monsters like Gogmazios and Caedeus.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
^ Hmm, now I'm not sure. I remember there was a bit of rng involved too.

I believe you had to actually fight the G-Rank version of Brachy (for example) for a chance (rng) to get a G-Rank Brachy expedition (it used a level system, level ____ Brachy, level determined rank). Then if you do the expedition successfully there's a chance you will get some god-tier shit at the end, which is where even more RNG came into play.

Best theme in MH, imo.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Not being able to have an epic underwater fight like with Ceadeus is something I will miss. I feel like the only person who enjoyed underwater combat. Killing Plesioths in the Flooded Forest was so much fun with my gunlance.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's pretty good. I think Zinogre's theme is the hypest for getting you a nice adrenaline rush during a hunt though.

Not being able to have an epic underwater fight like with Ceadeus is something I will miss. I feel like the only person who enjoyed underwater combat. Killing Plesioths in the Flooded Forest was so much fun with my gunlance.

No, I like the underwater combat too, but I'm one of the few people who played Tri/MH3U on a Wii/U. I have MH3U for my 3DS as well and the water combat definitely sucked balls on that device. Caedeus is a great conceptual monster, but it is a time race where you have to perform almost perfectly to kill him, much like Gogma. Missing with those Dragonators is a big no-no. At least with Caedeus you are given two chances to slay the same monster as if you take another Caedeus mission after repelling him, you'll be fighting against the same monster with the same HP. Shah Dalamadur is another one of those monsters where you're mostly racing against time than fighting an actual monster.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

No, I like the underwater combat too, but I'm one of the few people who played Tri/MH3U on a Wii/U. I have MH3U for my 3DS as well and the water combat definitely sucked balls on that device. Caedeus is a great conceptual monster, but it is a time race where you have to perform almost perfectly to kill him, much like Gogma. Missing with those Dragonators is a big no-no. At least with Caedeus you are given two chances to slay the same monster as if you take another Caedeus mission after repelling him, you'll be fighting against the same monster with the same HP. Shah Dalamadur is another one of those monsters where you're mostly racing against time than fighting an actual monster.

I played it on 2DS. Fuck camera management. Moving with the keyboard and controlling the camera with the mouse will be so nice in world.

It's pretty good. I think Zinogre's theme is the hypest for getting you a nice adrenaline rush during a hunt though.
Zinogre followed by Seregios. I love those monsters and their themes.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I used the CPP for MH3U, had a NEW NEW NEW NEE 3DS for 4U. Centering the camera on characters back was all i usually ended up using anyways and that's all you really need imo, at least for blademaster.

Vorark

Erudite
I played it on 2DS. Fuck camera management. Moving with the keyboard and controlling the camera with the mouse will be so nice in world.

Yup, 2DS here too. Underwater was a good addition, flowed better than mounting.

Felt so good going after Plesioth, sweet revenge.

sullynathan

Arcane
Did you ever actually play any of the difficult missions? Higher rank stuff is basically impossible to solo within the time limit unless you've got a weapon above the tier you're fighting or you're burning through a shitton of high end consumables.
I've only beat all the low rank missions of Portable 3rd and stopped playing Freedom at 4 star missions. Keep in mind I was using an emulator so I couldn't play with multiplayer. I got bored too early to go farther than that

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fair enough. The solo guild missions in Freedom were brutal. In retrospect, the village missions were significantly easier (iirc enemies had like 1/4 less hp, not sure about damage or timers), I can see people getting those done on time without already having the gear they drop. I didn't bother with the village missions though since it was an entirely separate unlock chain and there was already too many tedious fucking gather quests and slay 300 hornet missions.

Mozg

Arcane
Took like 30 minutes to hack down the hypnotrice in MHFU in the first "high rank" difficulty quest with a 700 damage longsword, and that's a monster that will never hit you and that you get to punish with 1-2 longsword hits after almost every attack it does. Looking at the upgrades that become available on high rank only looks like it bumps the damage you can do maybe 10-15%. So that's it for MHFU for me, can't imagine having to do naturally slow fights like Diablos on high ranks. Hope they make multiplayer and singleplayer kinda parallel in MHW instead of SP being the MP tutorial.

sullynathan

Arcane
Fair enough. The solo guild missions in Freedom were brutal. In retrospect, the village missions were significantly easier (iirc enemies had like 1/4 less hp, not sure about damage or timers), I can see people getting those done on time without already having the gear they drop. I didn't bother with the village missions though since it was an entirely separate unlock chain and there was already too many tedious fucking gather quests and slay 300 hornet missions.
Yeah I was pissed by the missions in freedom in which I had to collect eggs. I really thought that you had to beat those missions to progress in the game so I moved on to portable 3rd, beat it then came back to freedom.

Ivan

Arcane
Yo dawgs, care to summarize the game in one sentence?

Is it like Dragons Dogma, Shadow of the Colossus? Is there anything to explore/do outside of battles?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Is it like Dragons Dogma, Shadow of the Colossus? Is there anything to explore/do outside of battles?
Kill monsters to make better gear with to kill monsters to make better gear with to kill monsters to make

Mozg

Arcane

Boring/annoying JRPG strategy guide stuff (e.g. mine this thing from this map and add these three other similar easter egg hunt things to make a piece of armor) plus cool boss fights with wrinkles like letting you break parts of a monster's body (e.g. break their horns off, cut their tails off) to get different items from them and/or to change the fight by giving them a new weakpoint or taking away one of their abilities. Plus extremely unique weapons that require completely different playstyles.

You'll also see it's pretty obvious in retrospect how much Dark Souls/Dragon's Dogma both took from them.

That's not one sentence fucko

Ivan

Arcane
How are the combat mechanics? Is it more Dragons Doga/God of War or combo based DMC/Bayo? Is weapon switching a big deal? Also, how does defense come into play: blocking, dodoging, sidestepping, parrying?

PrettyDeadman

How are the combat mechanics? Is it more Dragons Doga/God of War or combo based DMC/Bayo? Is weapon switching a big deal? Also, how does defense come into play: blocking, dodoging, sidestepping, parrying?
It's nothing like dragon's dogma god of war dmc or bayonetta.

Damned Registrations

Leans more towards dark souls; attacks from players or monsters take a very long time to perform and recover from, getting hit by a big monster (aside from something trivial like getting bumped by the walking animation) is very, very bad. Different weapons play pretty differently, some can't block at all, others make you walk very slowly while the weapon is drawn, etc. There's a very high ratio of recovery items to max health, but the battles last so long you'll need them anyways. A fight with a single monster will generally take around half an hour, depending on a bunch of factors, and involves chasing it through a bunch of different terrain and having it go through 5-10 enraged phases where it becomes much faster and more damaging. Locational damage is important. Using the rathalos (the fire breathing dragon thing) as an example, hitting the legs will knock it over letting you get a lot more hits in, but hitting the head will cause flinching to interrupt attacks and can even cause dizzy spells if you're using hammers. Attack the tail enough and you can sever it, making several of it's attacks rather impotent. There's a ton of variety between monsters- ones that can burrow through the ground, ones with powerful long range attacks, ones that are obnoxiously flighty (motherfucking plesioth), all sorts of status effects, some are relatively frail but very aggressive and deadly so you need to choose your attacks carefully while others are like walls you need to chip away at constantly. You can also do some tricky stuff like set up traps or using sleep status on the monster and then planting bombs all around it to wake it back up.

Well, all that's assuming you're playing single player or with a team of scrubs. A skilled 4 man squad with decent gear will basically stunlock monsters and kill them very quickly.

Perkel

Arcane

Take Dragons Dogma fights with big monsters and add Dark Souls combat to it with less amount of weapons but each weapon is more complicated and better designed AND much more varied. After a long fight you skin creature to make armor/weapons to have that boost you need to fight stronger monster.

Oh and you can do 4 players co-op taking one monster unlike Dragons Dogma.

Pawn system exist as cats. You hire cats and each of them have different abilities etc you can train them to get new special abilities or new attacks etc.

Ivan

Arcane
Pawn system exist as cats. You hire cats and each of them have different abilities etc you can train them to get new special abilities or new attacks etc.
is...is this a joke? also, what about defense? if we're making the Souls (slow combat, long wind-up animations) comparison are we talking strictly dodge rolling?

Mozg

Arcane
Some weapons have a dodge-roll but AFIACT it has little or no invincibility compared to DS. Some weapons can block, some can't. You also have to sheathe your weapon to run, and unsheathing attacks have different properties so sheathing/running/unsheathing ends up being a major part of positioning.

No, they're little three foot tall cat people and obviously a precursor to DD pawns. The world/weapon+armor/character design/humor in MH is very old school JRPG silliness, which feels weird if you're used to its slow, heavy Dark Soulsish combat being paired with srs dark medievalism.

My favorite small thing about MH is how fucked-up looking the better-made monsters are at the end of the fight. A garuda that's had everything on its body smashed by a hammer looks like a bashed-up prizefighter.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
is...is this a joke? also, what about defense? if we're making the Souls (slow combat, long wind-up animations) comparison are we talking strictly dodge rolling?
MH world has shitload of different non himan people in it. Cats, wyverians etc.
Usually i roll without them as they take away focus of monster from me but properly speced ones can help you a lot.

Especially in MHXX where you can yourself play as cat and fight.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
is...is this a joke?

Damned Registrations

what about defense? if we're making the Souls (slow combat, long wind-up animations) comparison are we talking strictly dodge rolling?
While your weapon isn't drawn, you can dodge roll, and also do a diving evade with a huge (150 frames) amount of invincibility but leaves you prone for a few seconds. You can also do a full sprint that is significantly faster than the normal run but drains stamina. With your weapon drawn

Can run-

Longswords
Dual Swords
Hammers
Sword n Shield

Can dodge roll-

Greatswords
Longswords
Dual Swords
Hammers
Sword n Shield

Can block-
Greatswords
Lance n Shield
Sword n Shield

There are more weapon types, including ranged ones (which are pretty varied and have modular parts) but that gives you the gist of how things work. Dodge rolls have iframes and you can get more iframes on them with certain gear, just like you can improve your blocking ability or a bunch of other traits.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Lance and Gunlance both don't have any kind of dodging but they have side stepping and back hops instead. A Lance can chain up to 3 side steps and back hops in any kind of combination whereas a Gunlance can only do one hop at a time with a slight delay in between.

sullynathan

Arcane
Ivan why don't you just play one of the monster hunter games in an emulator to see what type of game it is? Descriptions won't give a full picture

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom