Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The only decent AAA games that have come out in the last 5 years

Kitchen Utensil

You're retarded. There's not been any contradiction.

Joined: Apr 9, 2017. I'll just assume you're some dumb kid raised on shit games and move on.

Whatever makes you feel like a big man.

You're still wrong though.

Nah, he's right; GTA V sucks. And what adds insult to injury is the fact that the game world is deliberately boring because they want to force people into their shitty online environment.

Ash

Arcane
GTAV Hidden Collectable Type 1

Rewards: find all 50 of these hidden collectables to unlock 1 million dollars upon collection of the last collectible.
How to get: since there is no way to legitimately find them all in game through natural exploration, you have to use a map online. It's find them all to get a reward, or nothing.

GTA Vice City Hidden Collectable Type 1

Rewards: unlocks a new weapon per every 10 of 100 collectibles found
How to get: well, do you want to get them all? To do so, like an autistic fuckwad you have to mindlessly follow a map like with GTAV. This is stupid, tedious busy work and spoils the fun of natural exploration and not recommended.
So, you want to not ruin exploration? Just play the game and during bouts of exploration you'll still find these collectables naturally, it will be fun, and you'll still get plenty rewards for it. You won't be able to realistically get all 100 of them due to not following a online map since the beginning and marking them off as you go, but the game will actually be fun and you will get rewarded for it.

One method is good. The other is autistic mindlessly follow someone else's map for four hours garbage. It would be like, say, having to find all every piece of gold coin in Skyrim before you can actually use them, which would only be possible by following an online map. I give this as a casual tard example you may be familiar with.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
buru5 , I've been thinking about a GTA set in another country, there are a few pretty promising options, when you consider the general requirements:

1. the country has to have big cities,
2. it has to be in a decade of the 20th century when auto transport was widespread - this limits you to post-ww2 West Europe/US, and you can add China, Japan, India, post-USSR Russia, if you set it in the 1990s
3. It would be good if it can be set in a period where there was a historical spike in organized crime, so Russia in the 90s would fit perfectly.

I don't know much about Latin America, when did they start to have widespread use of automobiles and develop crime networks? A game set in Rio De Janeiro or Mexico City also has a lot of potential.

I think Japan would be a great choice, maybe Tokyo City and the surrounding areas. Present day would probably be best for this. You could have over-exaggerated cityscapes with anime billboards, neon emoji signs, etc etc. I feel like it would sell very well, and would bring in the weeb crowd as well as the normal GTA-fags.

GTAV Hidden Collectable Type 1

Rewards: find all 50 of these hidden collectables to unlock 1 million dollars upon collection of the last collectible.

I thought you were done being wrong?

You cherry pick one small aspect of the collectibles like that's some sort of evidence. The cognitive dissonance you are experiencing right now must be Earth shattering. Here's a direct quote from the guide I posted, "There are 12 Hidden Packages spread throughout the waters in Grand Theft Auto V. Each one contains a large sum of cash, and often times weapons and other items." That's just ONE EXAMPLE that you choose to overlook because you know it makes your entire argument fall apart. It shows that EACH collectible rewards you with something (money, weapons, other items), it's not simply "you collect them all and you get some money". You know the link I posted is there for everyone to click on right? You know how easy it is to fact check your bullshit? This is how I know you haven't actually played the games too, you'd know this shit if you had. You're simply regurgitating bullshit you've read on forums.

And contradictions?
You said there were no hidden collectibles ("everything is on the mini-map"). I showed you that this was incorrect. You then changed your argument to "OK OK there are hidden collectibles but it's just money or pointless shit", I showed you that that's simply incorrect (see above). Then you change it to "IT'S TOO BIG AND IT'S HIDDEN SO ITS HARD TO FIND THE STUFF", which is where your contradiction comes into play. Do you want hidden collectibles or not?

Please stop posting if you're going to be disingenuous simply to win an argument about fucking vidja.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Hidden Packages in GTAV are like the only example of it done semi-right you tard, and they're only in water and there's only twelve of them. There's letters, peyote, spaceship parts, all sorts of garbage that requires following an online map to see any reward.

And contradictions?
You said there were no hidden collectibles

Reading comprehension, kid. No I didn't.

Ezekiel

Arcane
buru5 , I've been thinking about a GTA set in another country, there are a few pretty promising options, when you consider the general requirements:

2. it has to be in a decade of the 20th century when auto transport was widespread - this limits you to post-ww2 West Europe/US, and you can add China, Japan, India, post-USSR Russia, if you set it in the 1990s
3. It would be good if it can be set in a period where there was a historical spike in organized crime, so Russia in the 90s would fit perfectly.

I don't know much about Latin America, when did they start to have widespread use of automobiles and develop crime networks? A game set in Rio De Janeiro or Mexico City also has a lot of potential.

I think Japan would be a great choice, maybe Tokyo City and the surrounding areas. Present day would probably be best for this. You could have over-exaggerated cityscapes with anime billboards, neon emoji signs, etc etc. I feel like it would sell very well, and would bring in the weeb crowd as well as the normal GTA-fags.
I don't really like Japan. America has always been a good setting because it's relatable to a lot of players. Much of the humor comes from that. Japan is so foreign, xenophobic and weird. They don't even drive on the same side of the road. Also, their gun laws are too strict for GTA. I also find the popularity of Japan kind of lame (Everybody thinks they're cool, but few people really know the country.) and would consider it too obvious a move to bring GTA there. If they did take it into another country, I'd prefer a western one. Probably in continental Europe.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Hidden Packages in GTAV are like the only example of it done semi-right you tard, and they're only in water and there's only twelve of them. There's letters, peyote, spaceship parts, all sorts of garbage that requires following an online map to see any reward.

Reading comprehension, kid. No I didn't.

Oh now it's done right once I point it out.

And the amazing "kid" retort. That's how I know you're full of shit. Kindly fuck off until you have a valid point.

And yeah, you didn't say it wasn't on the map, that was another guy who was wrong. Sorry you both had shit arguments so I got yall confused.

Incantatar

Cipher
You're retarded. There's not been any contradiction.

Joined: Apr 9, 2017. I'll just assume you're some dumb kid raised on shit games and move on.

Whatever makes you feel like a big man.

You're still wrong though.
He's absolutely right. V is bland shit with a lot of make up. Exploration was a lot more interesting in the older titles.

A bigger punishment for murdering civilians. If the player is caught for a serious crime, I want a Game Over instead of jail time. I think the main character should be more the silent, uncharismatic type, so that your actions contradict the story less. He or she should be an antihero.

I dunno...the NPCs in Online mode will sometimes joke about you (and the other players) being a creepy mute, but it still works much like in singleplayer, only the character nods solemnly instead of cracking jokes. :M

Ezekiel

Arcane
A bigger punishment for murdering civilians. If the player is caught for a serious crime, I want a Game Over instead of jail time. I think the main character should be more the silent, uncharismatic type, so that your actions contradict the story less. He or she should be an antihero.

I dunno...the NPCs in Online mode will sometimes joke about you (and the other players) being a creepy mute, but it still works much like in singleplayer, only the character nods solemnly instead of cracking jokes. :M
Well, I don't want them to be mute, just more impassive and less talkative, like the hitman from Le SamouraĂŻ (1967). I want a guy who you believe could be a sociopath, but are not sure of. GTA gives too much information about its protagonists (usually making their morals pretty clear in the story) for some of the awful shit the player does (can do).

Wow... In all my years, I don't remember ever seeing someone with over a million posts.

Last edited:

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I thought there are enough AA rpgs coming out these days that codex can stop arguing about AAA shlock like GTA. Seriously, why the fuck would you argue about GTA, out of all things? I can understand rabid shitposting about Prey or D44M, but this? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Morkar Left

Mad Max should be added to the list. Not the best game because too easy, but fresh gameplay with the car combat and a good Mad Max adaption (respecting the new AND old movies).

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
i agree but what i'm saying is there's no point being stealthy in dishonored

in thief any random retard with a weapon will probably buttrape you in a fight and you're often forbidden from killing anyone anyways, in dishonored you can murder 10 guys in 10 seconds no problem so why sneak around?

You're correct that Thief forces you to be stealthy, but that's not a failing of Dishonoured, it's a divergence in design philosophy. Dishonored, much like Deus Ex (as a franchise, not just the original) is designed to give you multiple viable solutions to every problem and multiple types of gameplay that you may mix and match at your pleasure. You sneak in Dishonored because either you want to sneak, or because you are trying to maintain low-chaos for story purposes. You are violent and confrontational because either you prefer to play that way, or because you want to go for high-chaos. The third main way to play is to go with the flow and sneak when possible, but resort to direct confrontations when you fail your stealth or during sections where the direct approach is simply far more expedient then attempting stealth. Regardless, your character progression (if you choose to use powers) can be geared towards your play style, since some powers are designed to help with stealth and others are designed to buff you for combat.

Thief and Dishonored are both representative of totally viable design schools. Is the game designed to be played one way, or is it designed to let the player decide how it should be played? More choice isn't implicitly better or worse, just different.

Beastro

Arcane

Wasn't that already tried with that GTA set in 60s Britain?

Edit: Tried twice with GTA1 expacks.

China would allow Rockstar to access the huge Chinese market, so that's the only one they would have any chance of doing as the average player will be pissed off if they changed setting.

How well would it sit with both the Chinese government and people given Rockstars love of snarky trashing and mockery of the country their game is set in? It's something tolerated in the US (and Britain including the expacks I mentioned before) almost too much given how much Americans do it themselves (no where near the way Brits do, though).

That plus with a place like Russia you'd still be having white people being terrible with the occasional minority , set it in China with the way Rockstar does characters where almost everyone will be Oriental and they'd quickly catch hell from the Western market over racism, and this time from more than just Jack Thompson.

.... actually, that last bit might be a good opportunity to choose a field of battle to fight Progressives over on a much larger and noticeable scale in the same way that band called The Slants did with the Supreme Court.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yes, it was, and? I think it was well received at the time. Not that the reception of an expansion pack for GTA back in the day can serve as indication of how a new GTA VI set outside the US would be received.

Beastro

Arcane

Yes, it was, and? I think it was well received at the time. Not that the reception of an expansion pack for GTA back in the day can serve as indication of how a new GTA VI set outside the US would be received.

I don't think it was and could explain why they haven't done it again since, preferring instead to import foreigner PCs to the American setting than move the setting overseas.

It's been a long time, they should try again.

Dev_Anj

Learned
CyberP being a pretentious, arrogant dolt? Business as usual.

I recommend you just rate his posts
edgy.png
and don't bother arguing with him, except for the lols.

Just a reminder of what kind of guy he is:

Or just stop posting.

EDIT: perhaps I should clarify. I have yet to read any post of substance by you that doesn't make me facepalm, double facepalm, or even triple facepalm (I had to borrow someone's hand for that).

Your posts generally fall into the "I am so 1337" category, the "OMFG CONSOLETARDZ LOL MIRITE?" category, or "I WUZ GAEMING BACK WEHN IT WUZ COOL YO" category, or often all three. They also often spectacularly miss the point.

Your post about borderlands pretty much exemplifies this. Borderlands does not, at any level, expect to be taken seriously. You're not on pandora to SAEV TEH WORDL!!!, you're there to shoot things and get better lootz. It is quintessential diablo loot mechanics but with guns, and without all the portentous posturing about the end of the world.
The skill system is more or less purely there to add variety to the characters, but is more of an extra flourish because the characters are not really the stars: the guns are. There are roguelikes with random character generation where you sometimes get a truly amazing character, one you treasure. Here, that character would be a gun. And not only that, it would be a gun with a unique procedurally-generated appearance. And more, it would be yours. You're not finding the same unique weapon that every other fucker finds ("oh yeah, that's a good gun, I remember using that one for a while"), you're finding an actual unique weapon.

The quest system merely acts as a guide, walking you through the world providing you with the flimsiest of excuses to murder fucktons of people and loot them. It's not supposed to be sophisticated. Sophistication is not really borderlands' bag. This is not long rambling thought provoking conversations about the nature of evil, this is "SHOOT THAT GUY COZ HE CALLED MY FAT MOMMA FAT!"
It's get guns, use guns to kill people and get better guns. Giggle.

I'm almost amazed I have to point this out, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom