Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
No I meant surprised this Kickstarter didn't succeed.

Dorateen

Arcane
I posted on their forums yesterday, just to see where they are at, and received this encouraging response:

Sorry for the radio silence.

TSI remains committed to creating quality games but development is obviously going more slowly than any of us would have hoped. We hope to have more to share before too long.

At least they are still alive.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did anyone ever play Midwinter? Cuz that game is trying to come back too. Pretty unrelated, I just thought of it.

Amazing game, but don't know that I'd call it ahead of its time. Developers not being bound by genre conventions, but rather shaping the gameplay to fit the game concept, is something I associate with that period in gaming history before the big money came in. Mainstream developers could still afford to think along the lines of 'I want to make a game about X.' instead of 'I [or my investors or my publisher] want to make a game in the X genre.'

It's not as tight, but for me it's pretty close to the similarly genre-bending Sword of the Samurai in terms of ideal game design. Always thought it was a shame that the Singletons, Meiers and Crawfords of the world didn't win the battle for the soul of the industry. Instead the Hollywood rejects who tried and failed during the FMV era eventually came back and won.

I think by 'ahead of its time' means more the representation of the world, how it was limited to one vehicle at a time. Much as earlier flight sims were actually more ambitious with their presentation and campaign structure than the much better looking ones now that lost a lot of soul and are pretty austere.

Great game though, played it thought many times, some trying to destroy every enemy unit before going after Masters, other times I tried a 'pacifist' run by avoiding as many units as possible to limit casualties :) Deserves a proper remake and not that seemingly dead semi-fan effort.

I have to disagree about Meier...I'm not sure he turned out to be quite the messiah given the dross Civ's that are churned out in his name in the last 15 years.

Dorateen

Arcane
What's the status of this game?

At the beginning of this year, they responded to a forum post, so I can confirm the developers are still alive. Or were, in January. As for the state of the game, this is what they said:

TSI remains committed to creating quality games but development is obviously going more slowly than any of us would have hoped. We hope to have more to share before too long.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I have a good feeling this game will be a big hit once released. I am very appreciative of developers working and in my ideal world no one would hear anything about any game until it was a month from release. Waiting is horrible and waiting years for something and getting news of stupid shit about it is like pouring salt on a wound. Also, in an ideal world all the people that back kiddy hipster pseudo-games with very lite rpg elements but didn't back this game or Guido's would be purged for having subpar taste and poor minds. And you can hear about game pitches for funding purposes but mums the word until its a month out from release. No kickstarter updates #190077, no news articles when the game is years away. Just I have an idea give me money and then you can play this game in a month. That's it. More news than that are racist micro-aggressions from fascists against impatient people like me with lots of intersectionality of bad shit that is a trigger or whatever.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
(Don't get your hopes up.)

This is from former Art Director Lee Dotson's portfolio:

l0iFwo3.jpg

vazha

Arcane
Meh, oriental dwarf in turban (Abu Hrothgar Ibn Hrothgar) with a pistol. Not impressed.

Last edited:

Themadcow

Augur
If it's died a death then it's because they completely failed to understand the nostalgia market. Nothing from the visuals made me think that this was a modern Gold Box game - it just looked like a crappy Infinity Engine clone. The tactical combat in games like Pools of Darkness was exceptional, and it's what people remember (see Peak End Theory) so just stimulate that emotion by rebuilding that exact combat with a modern engine and UI.

Last forum post still Jan 2017.

Dorateen

Arcane
I would lean toward the announcement being the roll out of a new website. With further information to follow. I'm leery about TSI going to the kickstarter well a second time.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I always said I believed in them and but I'd lie if I said that looong radio silence wasn't worrisome. Every now and then I checked the website or their facebook but nothing. Very glad they are still alive.

Not even sure why I care so much since they certainly is not shortage of good RPGs at the moment. I guess I just took a liking to the guys.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always said I believed in them
I've always believed in their creativity and their ability to make a fantastic RPG. Their business sense and project management, well, to put it mildly, I have doubts.

Not even sure why I care so much since they certainly is not shortage of good RPGs at the moment. I guess I just took a liking to the guys.
I see a lot of myself and my friends in these guys; more than most devs, I think we would have a lot to talk about if we hung out. Judging by where they're coming from, I think this game would really "speak" to me.

More concretely, the personality/motivation mechanics are very exciting and add a whole new dimension to party building and decision making.

Darkzone

Arcane
So they finally gave up. This was obvious from the KS. The KS was ill prepared and they simply had shown no desire to make a RPG just for the sake of making one.
Zombra i admire your persistence and hope, but don't over do it, because in the end you will hurt yourself.

"More concretely, the personality/motivation mechanics are very exciting and add a whole new dimension to party building and decision making."
Sounds good on paper, but it also smells of much work that will be rather unappreciated by most people. It is better to start small and modest, then accomplish one little thing; and then build up from this.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think if the game gets made at all, the personality system will be really interesting. It's not even that ambitious from a design standpoint (much less so than "every quest will have 8 different outcomes" or whatever).

The real question is whether 7DS will end up getting finished at all, and that's completely up in the air at this point, so I'm well prepared for disappointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom