Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What level were you? It shouldn't be an easy fight by any means; if you aced it on the first try you're doing something right, or else the AI glitched or something. Yes those casters certainly should be casting.

I think everyone was level 3, maybe with the possible exception of the PC who was 4. I basically did all other side quests in Gilded Vale before going to Raedric's, including the temple and shipment.

Finished the first 2 levels of the Mega Dungeon. The second level assaults you with endless parades of xaurips and wurms, but blocking doorways with my paladin and bear companion works every time. The combat is a bit action-y and MMO-y, the game expects the endurance levels going up and down frantically and you outhealing the damage. I don't know how I feel about that, it's a bit cheap. Rushing you with 15 xaurips and 3 wurms is also kinda cheap. Their on-hit paralyze was pretty annoying, good thing I have that Suppress Affliction ring. Traps are essentially worthless, they do too little damage and you can't put up more than one at a time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Raedric's certainly doable with just Eder, Aloth, and Durance considering it's unnecessary to step into Od Nua before you get it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What level were you? It shouldn't be an easy fight by any means; if you aced it on the first try you're doing something right, or else the AI glitched or something. Yes those casters certainly should be casting.

I think everyone was level 3, maybe with the possible exception of the PC who was 4. I basically did all other side quests in Gilded Vale before going to Raedric's, including the temple and shipment.

Are you playing on PotD? If so, hats off. I did it on PotD with a 4 man party, but all my chars were level 4 I think and I had to resort to cheesy tactics like exploiting the AI and kiting to a doorway funnel. Definately wasn't winnable with 4-man standard tactics at that level.

Finished the first 2 levels of the Mega Dungeon. The second level assaults you with endless parades of xaurips and wurms, but blocking doorways with my paladin and bear companion works every time. The combat is a bit action-y and MMO-y, the game expects the endurance levels going up and down frantically and you outhealing the damage. I don't know how I feel about that, it's a bit cheap.
That doesn't sound right. If you struggle to outheal damage, something probably went wrong. I mean look at the Priest heal spells: they are simply pathetic and can't reliably sustain the party. More like "oh shit" buttons, which, if you need to press, you're likely already loosing the battle. Well Consecrated Ground is okay, I guess and Druid's Moonwell heal over time is admittedly better.
But you can't really afford to keep getting damaged and healing, as you'll loose health in no time and be forced to rest.
I very rarely used Priest healing in my playtrough. Mostly relied on my Moon Godlike Barbarian's Silver Tide (admittedly very powerful) and Shod-In-Faith boost auto-casting Consecrated Ground when critted. Sometimes Durance needed to Revive the Fallen though.

Prime Junta

But you can't really afford to keep getting damaged and healing, as you'll loose health in no time and be forced to rest.

Very much this. The trick is to figure out how not to get damaged in the first place. There are a few exceptions (Dangerous Implement based wizard with his One Weird Trick to manage health, monks with their Wounds and obscene health/endurance ratio), but generally speaking yeah.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Priest's AoE heal spell (Consecrated Ground) is a commonly used crutch for underlevelled/unoptimized parties trying to defeat high-level content when they'd be better off going off and doing something else. I know because I used it.

Prime Junta

Yep, defence is the mirror image of attack: figure out what defence the enemy is targeting in the fight, and shore it up. (Or, alternatively, figure out what type of damage they're doing, and pump the DR against it.)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Are you playing on PotD? If so, hats off. I did it on PotD with a 4 man party, but all my chars were level 4 I think and I had to resort to cheesy tactics like exploiting the AI and kiting to a doorway funnel. Definately wasn't winnable with 4-man standard tactics at that level.

That doesn't sound right. If you struggle to outheal damage, something probably went wrong. I mean look at the Priest heal spells: they are simply pathetic and can't reliably sustain the party. More like "oh shit" buttons, which, if you need to press, you're likely already loosing the battle. Well Consecrated Ground is okay, I guess and Druid's Moonwell heal over time is admittedly better.
I very rarely used Priest healing in my playtrough. Mostly relied on my Moon Godlike Barbarian's Silver Tide (admittedly very powerful) and Shod-In-Faith boost auto-casting Consecrated Ground when critted. Sometimes Durance needed to Revive the Fallen though.

Yeah, PotD. I have a 6 man custom party, though (+ Durance, but priest is OP regardless of stats), almost min-maxed to the edge.

I'm not struggling to outheal the damage, I'm outhealing it fine. There's so many options to heal, Athletics, the paladin is a Moon-like, Gaun's Pledge, Holy Radiance, Projection (seriously OP with 2 priests), my paladin and barbarian have endurance draining weps, I don't need to use the direct heals, or Consecrated Ground, at all. We don't take much damage because paladin + bear were blocking doorways so only 2-3 mobs were attacking them at a time, and my other guys were shooting them from behind. The mobs take insane damage because of Phantom Foes and are constantly blinded. Seriously, Cipher is amazing. The AI is a joke compared to SCS, anyway. I did go through 2 camping supplies throughout the 2 levels, though. Also, no on-rest ambushes, that's quaint and lol-worthy.

I just skim through the dialogues now, I know nobody is saying anything important, so I don't really care. It's surprisingly effective and I haven't gotten bored yet. Besides Durance, I haven't even talked to the other companions, because lol. I'm just going to talk to Sagani so I can sacrifice her.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if the printed manual still contains all the outdated info which the digital manual has.

Anyone know of a youtube LP of the Ultimate or Triple Crown Solo, which is not done with a moon godlike? I wonder if there is a successful TCS which isn't with a moon godlike.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He has only one upload on his channel, which is of this battle. Still, interesting to see this battle I guess.

Parabalus

Arcane
Healing is kinda borked since Shod-in-Faith exists. Moon Godlike are ridiculously overtuned, I have no idea how they have avoided Sawyer's nerfbat so long. They probably still be one of the strongest racials if there was only one healing wave, never mind 3.

AwesomeButton

Patron
From what I'm seeing in the LP of The Ultimate (Wizard), the moon godlike regenerates health faster than a group of low-level enemies, or a single higher-level enemy, are able to try to damage him.

Parabalus

Arcane
From what I'm seeing in the LP of The Ultimate (Wizard), the moon godlike regenerates health faster than a group of low-level enemies, or a single higher-level enemy, are able to try to damage him.

Add to that that it affects the entire party too. Broken beyond belief.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Add to that that it affects the entire party too. Broken beyond belief.
Lol, I didn't even know that. So, that's basically the subrace to solo with, and never use it in a non-solo game.

Hmm, yeah, I wonder if respec at a certain point can be a strategy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Moon-likes are ridiculous, yes, but you don't NEED them for The Ultimate,i.e. no tactic requires you to take damage that the racial has to outheal,it's insurance. You need every pincushion for it, so moon-likes are the safest bet.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Question - do the elemental enchantments ADD 25% elemental damage or convert 25% of the damage the weapon is already doing to the element? It's kinda vague. I know it says +25%, but I wanna make sure. Also, there's some really strange wording on Phantom Foes, it says -10 enemies needed to Flank for 30 sec. What does -10 mean? Do they mean less than 10, i.e. it should've been <10?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lashes do add 25% elemental damage (pending proportional reduction).
Phantom Foes no idea. Worked really well for me - huge radius, long duration.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also, there's some really strange wording on Phantom Foes, it says -10 enemies needed to Flank for 30 sec. What does -10 mean? Do they mean less than 10, i.e. it should've been <10?

Where do you even see -10? Because I don't see it. There's no foe requirement on it. It does decrease deflection by 10 (plus an additional 2 with the resolve penalty).

PatataFamilia

Novice
Do the people doing these crazy solo LPs use respec?

I didn't do an LP, but when I did my ultimate run I respecced three times. I needed to get stealth high to avoid the throne room fight in Caed Nua and then ditched stealth points. I respecced to get the right stats to save the burning house in stalwart, and then respecced again to get lore fairly high for boss fights. I did it using an Orlan chanter. Moon Godlike had an edge before the expansions, I had a very successful one-stands-alone solo moonlike barbarian. But now helms are just a better option, and Defiant resolve is a really good buff that's always up against dragons.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Where do you even see -10? Because I don't see it. There's no foe requirement on it. It does decrease deflection by 10 (plus an additional 2 with the resolve penalty).
ehcwnFw.jpg

Here you go.

fobia

So strange.
Sounds like it reduces the amount of enemies needed to flank. You're playing on 3.05 I guess? I'm pretty sure I'm reading this for the first time, so maybe it was introduced with the latest patches?

EDIT: So I checked and it seems the spell was bugged in 3.02 and fixed in 3.04. The bug removed the debuff "flanked" whenever an enemy was engaged.
I've not played a Cipher since 2.xx so I've no idea what this means.
I'm guessing here, but it could be either part of the fix or a messed up description.

EDIT 2: Okay, according to the wiki the definition of a flanked target is: Being engaged by more enemies than engagement limit.
The -10 is maybe set so no matter what, the enemies under the spell effect will be debuffed for the duration of the spell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
3.06 actually, but I don't think the patch notes mentioned anything like this.

EDIT: Maybe the wording suggests that it reduces the amount of enemies needed to engage a target to flank it, so it's always flanked, no matter how many engagement slots it has.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom