Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Hobo Elf

Arcane
All 3 specs are competitive, oddly enough affli is still the top dog (everyone thought it'd get shredded after dominating the 2nd half of NH). Destro seems to be quite close, based purely off of wclogs. Can't tell you anything about the feel of the spec as I mainly stick to my hunter w/ ocasionsl dips into unholy and arms, but dps wise you can't go wrong with a lock.

Didn't find any info on this but I'll ask anyway just in case: did Warlocks get any new pets?

Wulfstand

Prophet
All 3 specs are competitive, oddly enough affli is still the top dog (everyone thought it'd get shredded after dominating the 2nd half of NH). Destro seems to be quite close, based purely off of wclogs. Can't tell you anything about the feel of the spec as I mainly stick to my hunter w/ ocasionsl dips into unholy and arms, but dps wise you can't go wrong with a lock.

Didn't find any info on this but I'll ask anyway just in case: did Warlocks get any new pets?

In legion or in 7.2? In either case, I'm not sure. You get a new dredsteed as a class specific mount, but an actual combat companion ? There seem to be new appearances for older pets:

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/30308-patch-72-new-warlock-pet-glyphs/

Hobo Elf

Arcane

In legion or in 7.2? In either case, I'm not sure. You get a new dredsteed as a class specific mount, but an actual combat companion ? There seem to be new appearances for older pets:

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/30308-patch-72-new-warlock-pet-glyphs/

I mean have there been any new pets added since Cataclysm because that was the last time I was up-to-date with WoW. Anyways, disappointing that all they did was add reskins for the old ones.

Wulfstand

Prophet

Oh, I think they have in mop/wod, but you'll have to read that up. The link I provided was for small cosmetical additions added in the penultimate patch.

Btw, now's pretty much a great time to get back into wow, as you'll have sufficient time to catch up w/ everything and do most of the content up to Ahead of the curve: KJ until 7.3 will be out in august/ september, which is looking to be a great patch based off of the ptr.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Oh, I think they have in mop/wod, but you'll have to read that up. The link I provided was for small cosmetical additions added in the penultimate patch.

Btw, now's pretty much a great time to get back into wow, as you'll have sufficient time to catch up w/ everything and do most of the content up to Ahead of the curve: KJ until 7.3 will be out in august/ september, which is looking to be a great patch based off of the ptr.

I just found that Warlocks got 3 new pets as well as texture swapped upgrades for the old ones as well as a permanent Infernal / Doomguard.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've been playing the game for the past week or so now and I just got to level 88. So far the game is both good and shit. The good are the new changes like the new spec and talent systems. The talent system is much more enjoyable than the old one as each choice you're given has more of an interesting impact and the specialization system makes it so that the different specs within a class feel a lot more flavorful and unique. The shit aspect is how brain dead easy the game is. If it wasn't for the improved gameplay I doubt I would last this long. Nothing is a challenge and it is still a long slog to get to the Legion levels where, hopefully, the game becomes challenging again. I guess the bonus here is that for future characters I can use Heirloom items to speed up the leveling process, but it's still going to take a while to level up all the classes that I'm interested in playing next (Shaman, Paladin, Mage).

Another unfortunate aspect about the speedy leveling is that I did 80-85 while only questing in Hyjal. It'd be nice to see the other zones as well, but there isn't much incentive to go back to older lower level zones since the quest rewards get slashed hard. Pandaria so far is really nice but I'll miss experiencing most of the zones.

I've been playing the game for the past week or so now and I just got to level 88. So far the game is both good and shit. The good are the new changes like the new spec and talent systems. The talent system is much more enjoyable than the old one as each choice you're given has more of an interesting impact and the specialization system makes it so that the different specs within a class feel a lot more flavorful and unique. The shit aspect is how brain dead easy the game is. If it wasn't for the improved gameplay I doubt I would last this long. Nothing is a challenge and it is still a long slog to get to the Legion levels where, hopefully, the game becomes challenging again. I guess the bonus here is that for future characters I can use Heirloom items to speed up the leveling process, but it's still going to take a while to level up all the classes that I'm interested in playing next (Shaman, Paladin, Mage).

Another unfortunate aspect about the speedy leveling is that I did 80-85 while only questing in Hyjal. It'd be nice to see the other zones as well, but there isn't much incentive to go back to older lower level zones since the quest rewards get slashed hard. Pandaria so far is really nice but I'll miss experiencing most of the zones.

Oddly enough after a long break I just popped in WoW lately to see what the game is now. Sorry to disappoint you but Legion is the same as everything before it. If you have even half a brain, you cannot die questing or doing solo content. And with the expansion coming to a close heroics are the easiest they have ever been in the history of the game. You can literally pull the entire instance and AOE everything down. Normal and heroic dungeons are obsolete and I don't know anyone who does them. Everyone only does mythic+ dungeons, which are the only thing challenging (outside HC raiding) at keystone level 10 upwards, depending on your gear and group. LFR raiding is the same tourist mode as ever, you can go in and not even press any buttons besides moving and you're set to win, champion.

If you do not enjoy the lore, storylines, leveling and trying out alts, and you are looking for a challenge.. well your only option at the endgame is finding a guild and start doing proper raiding. There is one more raid coming out before the next expansion. Mythic+ dungeons get so old so fast that you'll be sick of them in a week or two. They alone aren't enough content to make a player stick at the endgame.

If you do enjoy the lore, storylines and playing alts, well congratulations, there has never been more content for you than now. Every class has their own unique storylines and order halls and both factions have their own stuff going on. There just won't be any challenge to it. But there is so much of this pure time wasting content that you'll be set for months and months.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Oddly enough after a long break I just popped in WoW lately to see what the game is now. Sorry to disappoint you but Legion is the same as everything before it. If you have even half a brain, you cannot die questing or doing solo content. And with the expansion coming to a close heroics are the easiest they have ever been in the history of the game. You can literally pull the entire instance and AOE everything down. Normal and heroic dungeons are obsolete and I don't know anyone who does them. Everyone only does mythic+ dungeons, which are the only thing challenging (outside HC raiding) at keystone level 10 upwards, depending on your gear and group. LFR raiding is the same tourist mode as ever, you can go in and not even press any buttons besides moving and you're set to win, champion.

If you do not enjoy the lore, storylines, leveling and trying out alts, and you are looking for a challenge.. well your only option at the endgame is finding a guild and start doing proper raiding. There is one more raid coming out before the next expansion. Mythic+ dungeons get so old so fast that you'll be sick of them in a week or two. They alone aren't enough content to make a player stick at the endgame.

If you do enjoy the lore, storylines and playing alts, well congratulations, there has never been more content for you than now. Every class has their own unique storylines and order halls and both factions have their own stuff going on. There just won't be any challenge to it. But there is so much of this pure time wasting content that you'll be set for months and months.

How can I gear up if no one does normal instances or heroics? Anyway, I can level up new doods to level cap, or at least close, for when the next expac hits and then I can join in the fun when there's still some challenge to it.

Anyway, I'm level 92 now. So far I think WoD may be the best leveling experience of the game. I think making rare spawns relevant again may be the most significant good change here. It breathes in new life and meaning to the world. Ironically WoD also ended up having the most dead world despite these cool additions.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
How can I gear up if no one does normal instances or heroics?

End game WoW is NOT about mechanical challenge, it's about grinding your gear up until you're able to handle the next level of mythic+ easily. If something in the game is difficult, it's because you're undergeared and you need to grind easy stuff until the difficult stuff is easy.

I fucking hate this game but I recommend just enjoying the exploration/sight-seeing/goofy storyline/pet battles/outside-the-box quests (these are rare but fun if you run across)/running dungeons 1 or 2 times max/soloing old raids.

Once you hit max level and have run the dungeons once or twice, it's time to jump ship. This game does art/exploration and the occassional goofy quest well but the gameplay mechanics are trash. "End-game" (aka gearing-rat-race) is like playing a virtual slot machine without the chance of winning anything.

How can I gear up if no one does normal instances or heroics? Anyway, I can level up new doods to level cap, or at least close, for when the next expac hits and then I can join in the fun when there's still some challenge to it.

Anyway, I'm level 92 now. So far I think WoD may be the best leveling experience of the game. I think making rare spawns relevant again may be the most significant good change here. It breathes in new life and meaning to the world. Ironically WoD also ended up having the most dead world despite these cool additions.

While I don't recall offhand the exact item levels dungeons give out, they are something similar to: Normal 800, Heroic 850, Mythic10 900, Mythic15 920. There is a endgame zone called Broken Shore where you get a full set of 850 gear in a matter of hours and a full set of 890-900 gear in a couple days. These are the baseline item levels you get which can proc with warforging and titanforging up 30 item levels or something like that. When you can get a full set of 900 gear in a couple days, no one does normals and heroics. And you won't be doing any mythic dungeons either without a guild. No pickup groups will take you in as you are new and have low item level. Basically if something requires item level 880, the random puggers require you to have 920. Doing things at the designed item level is challenging but puggers require you to overgear everything.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DDO is for nerds.

End game WoW is NOT about mechanical challenge, it's about grinding your gear up until you're able to handle the next level of mythic+ easily. If something in the game is difficult, it's because you're undergeared and you need to grind easy stuff until the difficult stuff is easy.

I fucking hate this game but I recommend just enjoying the exploration/sight-seeing/goofy storyline/pet battles/outside-the-box quests (these are rare but fun if you run across)/running dungeons 1 or 2 times max/soloing old raids.

Once you hit max level and have run the dungeons once or twice, it's time to jump ship. This game does art/exploration and the occassional goofy quest well but the gameplay mechanics are trash. "End-game" (aka gearing-rat-race) is like playing a virtual slot machine without the chance of winning anything.

While I don't recall offhand the exact item levels dungeons give out, they are something similar to: Normal 800, Heroic 850, Mythic10 900, Mythic15 920. There is a endgame zone called Broken Shore where you get a full set of 850 gear in a matter of hours and a full set of 890-900 gear in a couple days. These are the baseline item levels you get which can proc with warforging and titanforging up 30 item levels or something like that. When you can get a full set of 900 gear in a couple days, no one does normals and heroics. And you won't be doing any mythic dungeons either without a guild. No pickup groups will take you in as you are new and have low item level. Basically if something requires item level 880, the random puggers require you to have 920. Doing things at the designed item level is challenging but puggers require you to overgear everything.

So same old same old, really. Game hasn't changed that much since I last played seriously.

Anyway I've been running for the Warlock quest book in the Isle of Thunder. 10 rares down so far and no drop. I hate this gay ass farm because I can't use a flying mount but I really want the dumb green fire for my spells. Would buy from AH but the book is going for 40k gold and I most certainly don't have that kind of money lying around.

Edit: Level 98 and I still maintain that WoD is the best expac for leveling thus far. They managed to make outdoor exploration fun and meaningful with generous rewards that help make it feel like it's worth looking for every nook and cranny.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Legion's a pretty clear case of someone knowing people enjoyed the WoD treasure hunt and not understanding why it was fun. There are even more treasure chests scattered around, but none of them contain anything worth seeking out and given the way other systems work (AP) you are actually rewarded for not collecting them until much later.

Revenant

Artifact power scales exponentially with Artifact Knowledge, which progresses linearly through time, though at the current state of the game you can get AK40 (max) in a few days time, so it is much more beneficial to open all treasures and get the maximum artifact power then.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ok. I don't see much benefit in waiting it out if it is so easy to cap your weapon. I'll just keep opening chests and killing rares as I see them.

Zetor

Arcane
The AP from chests is crap anyway, isn't it like a base 20-35 AP item most of the time? Yeah, it scales with AK, but it's nothing compared to a single world quest at max level. Or just run a mythic dungeon, the talismans that drop from bosses are base 200 AP, that's like 20+ chests per run... and the run takes 15 minutes or so considering how everyone must overgear them by now.

Aildrik

Savant

I really agree here. Been playing since Vanilla and I can honestly say the AP system is one of the most in your face grind mechanics I have seen in the game so far. I think it may be that I have hit my limit with WoW, but this is also the first expansion where, after my raid group fell apart, I actually welcomed not raiding anymore and have just been logging in casually to do dailies now and again, and may do some LFR. The initial leveling/questing for Legion was great, I will say that. I also enjoyed the questing to unlock flying and felt it was handled in a fair way.

J1M

Arcane
Ok. I don't see much benefit in waiting it out if it is so easy to cap your weapon. I'll just keep opening chests and killing rares as I see them.
It's a 4,000,000% difference between opening a chest while leveling and opening it after. :lol:

It may not be worth your time to open them at all, but it certainly isn't worth your time when they grant 25 AP instead of 1,000,000 AP. The same applies to the AP rewards from max level story quests.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
People still play this?

Sure. In some ways it's a much better game than it ever was. And as much as I liked Vanilla, TBC and even Wrath, I don't think I'd ever want to go back to that time. I have neither the time or the patience anymore to put that kind of energy into a game just to get something meaningful done. The casualization turned me away from the game, but then it also brought me back.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I resubbed and I'm actually having fun!

Leveling a monk by basically trying to solo dungeons and I'm getting into the battle pet thing, trying to collect all the pets. Monk class is a lot of fun with all its movement abilities.

I've got a few 110s and I only really use them for solo transmog runs through old raids. I'm glad that there's a lot of things to do besides grinding gear at level cap and I hope they add more fun side things cuz I can't fucking stand end game "content"

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I was playing up until about 2 months ago when I realized this game was a total waste of my time and has been in a constant state of decline since Cata, and Legion was no better. Log in, do World Quests, get emissary cache, raid once a week, and then have nothing else to do. Monotonous and very basic, no thought required bullshit, even in raids. Classes are so brain-dead that it's required to actually follow one specific build to do well in high end raiding environments, no customization outside of how your character's transmog looks. I played this game for about 2 years in a row, got to the point where I was forcing myself to enjoy the repetitive grind. Had alts, etc. But I just couldn't keep going. If you're still playing this game (and convinced yourself that you actually enjoy it) please unsub immediately, seek help.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Now that I've had my Warlock at level 110 for a few days, managed to do get some gear, level up my Artifact a lot, finish the class hall quest line, I've decided to compile some thoughts about WoW and the weird place it is in now.

First I'll start off by saying that WoD was the highest point for me in terms of leveling. The zones were amazing and the quests and exploration fun. Legions is OK, but the zones are pretty hum-ho. Exploration is more useful since you're prone to find something useful for yourself as you're mostly collecting artifact XP items, but it kinda makes it more bland as well.

For me the biggest WTF circles around the Artifact weapons. From level 1-100 they changed the old and dull talent system for a cleaner one with more meaningful and interesting choices. Then from levels 100-110 the only real progression to your character happens with your Artifact weapon which is basically going back to the old dumb talent system. There are no new talents learned in Legions, all your new skills are learned from your weapon. With the way level scaling works in Legions, and how your character progression is actually linked to your weapon, it makes the new 10 levels entirely redundant. It wouldn't make a difference if Blizzard simply didn't add any new levels. Now I have some questions concerning Artifact weapons. Blizzard loves to introduce new gimmicks and then throw said gimmick out the window come the next expansions, so I want to know what will happen to my old weapon? If I lose it, I'll lose my new ability, which is sad as I like the Warlock ability. If I keep it and keep improving on it in the next expac, then we can safely say that Blizzard just brought in the old talent system for no reason at all, and that's dumb given how the new one is a much better system.

Otherwise I think the experience of leveling up and then gearing up at max level doing world quests is a lot more fun for me than it has ever been before. I wish there was more challenging solo content, however. When I first hit level 110 all the enemies were really tough and gearing up was a bit of a crawl. I liked it, it was a challenge. But I geared up fairly quickly and even with the noob epics everything became really easy and trivial. I wish there was some solo content I could gear up for, because I have little interest in doing mythics or raids. Raids are just lame for me now and the few mythics I did were just too easy because everyone is geared up and knows them all too well. As it stands I'm just working toward unlocking flying and collecting gold for heirloom items to level up new classes, which I'm sure will be fun, but the game still lacks a meaningful end goal for people not interested in raiding or PvP. Getting better gear isn't that interesting if I'm not getting it for a reason.

Overall Legions is a solid expac and I do like Artifact weapons despite the weird spot Blizzard shoehorned themselves into with them. It's still a few steps back from WoD with it's semi lacklustre zone design. Highmountain gets an honorable mention for being one of the blandest expansion zones out there. I also like the idea of having choice on the order of which you engage the zones in, but the level scaling ruined the whole point of leveling up, as it always does. Doing outdoor shit has always been my favorite part of MMOs and Legions really brings the outdoor to life with Legion assaults and world quests, so that's really great.

Zetor

Arcane
For challenging solo content, there's the solo mage tower scenario thing they added in the broken shore (different for healing/dps/tank too), though you need ilevel 890/900 to have a decent shot at it. Other than that, there's brawler's guild and proving grounds, but technically both of those are from MOP -- have they implemented any new brawler's guild bosses, or is it all recycled?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom