Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which genres do you want to make a comeback?

Deleted member 7219

Story-driven space sims (TIE Fighter, X-wing Alliance)

Star Wars shooters (Jedi Knight series)

Kitchen Utensil

Car-Combat ala Twisted Metal. Real skill-based First Person Shooters and RTS games. Cave or even Toaplan-style shmups, something similar to Truxton 2, Batsugun and the like. Interesting arcade racers like Rollcage or Rumble Racing. More variety in 2d-Platformers/Jump'n'Runs. It's the varied gameplay that's missing today. Everything plays, looks and feels pretty much the same.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I still want a 3D beat 'em up. In my desire for one, I wrote a simple concept.

A third person view beat ’em up with linear but open levels. Also features a bit of platforming. The world is cyberpunk, an anarchist shithole full of punks, rough police and robots of varying sizes. The levels mostly take place at night. Old and modern architecture. Lots of neon lights.
Sounds a lot like Fighting Force, which was originally supposed to be Streets of Rage 4. The 3D aspect didn't work so well, but then again the late 90s were rife with disastrous 3D experiments where the greatest enemy was the camera. Die Hard Arcade came out the same year with 3D models on a 2D plane and was a far more entertaining prospect if you happened to own a Sega Saturn.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet

Ezekiel

Arcane
Mother Russia Bleeds is a good modern beat'em up, although 2D, a nice homage to Streets of Rage and such. As for 3D, Zeno Clash is pure love. But a retrowaving 3D take on it would be great, for sure.

And we need blobbers back; luckily Grimoire is being released next week with or without enhancements!
Also, it's been a long time without C&C-like RTS, with EBM-industrial OST, basebuilding and army mass production.
Hm... You're the second person this week to mention Zeno Clash to me. Maybe I'd better give it a try.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hm... You're the second person this week to mention Zeno Clash to me. Maybe I'd better give it a try.

Can also recommend both Zeno Clash games. The action is crazy fun and the whole thing is just nuts in general.

They look amazing too
215690_2014-02-11_00007.png

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I can confirm than Zeno Clash, although borderline simplistic, is a fruit of pure dev's love. I recommend it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Dark Souls has no Barbarians, no dismemberment and decapitation, no throwing limbs and heads at enemies, and it has respawns. And it's a slower game.
You're wrong, weeb.
Dark souls isn't a button masher, severance is. it's that cut and dry for me

Falksi

Arcane
I've been wanting a modern beat 'em up. Stylized and with almost non-stop action. Sadly, they seem to have died with the arcades. The weird thing is that I was never even into the old ones. So I gave Streets of Rage 2 another try. I enjoyed myself. Couldn't be bothered to learn all the moves, though. I only made it to the underground arena, level 4. I still want a 3D beat 'em up. In my desire for one, I wrote a simple concept.

A third person view beat ’em up with linear but open levels. Also features a bit of platforming. The world is cyberpunk, an anarchist shithole full of punks, rough police and robots of varying sizes. The levels mostly take place at night. Old and modern architecture. Lots of neon lights.

Levels are full of interactive objects, including melee weapons (knives, pipes, bricks, wood beams, bats, cue sticks). Some of these weapons break and are then automatically tossed. They’re also knocked out of the character’s hand when they’re hit, sometimes out of the level. There are guns, but they have pretty limited ammo, can’t be reloaded and are tossed when emptied. (Revolvers, automatic pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, sub-machine guns.) Your main weapons are your fists, followed by your legs.

No upgrades. There are numerous timed combos, but the player can get through the game using the basic attacks and evade. Player characters keep their fists raised, almost like boxers, when facing opponents. The game has a soft lock on system, meaning the game will slightly adjust the player’s orientation towards enemies. But it doesn't turn you all the way around, like in Batman or Metal Gear Rising; you need to do that yourself.

WASD: Move (Slow run. Character will run fast after a few seconds of running uninterrupted. There is no sprint button, since being able to sprint instantaneously would make combat too easily avoidable.)
Mouse button 1: Punch/shoot
Mouse button 2: Kick (Player can kick even while holding a gun.)
Shift: Evade (Will lean body and take a few quick evasive steps.)
Shift + MB1: Evasive punch
Shift + MB2: Evasive kick
Ctrl: Block (Blocking an attack still hurts you.)
Spacebar: Jump, climb, vault
E: Grab enemy
C: Look back
F: Pick up and drop weapon
Q: Rearward elbow strike (Pressing it twice in a row will make the character also turn around.)

I know the control scheme is simplistic enough to be mapped to a controller, but I just don't care to. There can be a walk button, but I don't know if I'd even use it. Assign it to some unimportant button, like Left Alt.

In the top-left corner of the picture is a health bar. For every enemy the player defeats, they gain a little bit of health back. The player characters smile and do mocking animations when the player dominates fights, and appear fearful and pant when they are near defeat, implying that the health meter really represents their determination, audacity and nerve.

You can play with a partner online, paying homage to classic beat ’em ups like Streets of Rage. Enemies are placed randomly and sometimes come in large groups, hopping down from fences and windows, like in Left 4 Dead. The enemies almost double when you’re in multiplayer.

The playable characters are a man and woman, lovers. Both are muscular and tall. There is banter between them as they fight baddies, much like in L4D.

Guy:
-French-English descent
-6 feet 2 inches, early thirties, blue eyes, clean shaven
-Full head of brown hair, medium length and straight
-Fairly muscular, not roided out
-Wears jeans, sneakers, short-sleeved white shirt, black belt.
-Has a tattoo on his right upper arm.

Girl:
-West African descent
-5 feet 9 inches, mid twenties, gracefully muscular
-Frizzy hair, cut at the neck
-Wears a short leather jacket (red), shiny miniskirt with small slit (black), dark pantyhose (with a few little tears from exertion), calf-high boots (black), elbow-length blouse with pointed u-neck (cream white), weighted-knuckle gloves.

The music is synthwave, possibly featuring Perturbator and Lazerhawk.

Cutscenes are brief and infrequent, possibly hand-drawn.

Just been on about this in the Rockstar thread.

"The Warriors" updated Beat 'Em Ups superbly IMO. Added a bit of depth via stats & a few minor RPG elements, with plenty of variety in terms of objectives to keep it from going stale. And I guess the Dark Souls series has that Beat 'Em Up element to it too.

Would love to see "The Warriors" get both a next gen upgrade, a sequel, and inspire other game companies to make more games like them. I actually think that game companies are missing a BIG trick here, as bloated "RPG's" such as The Witcher 3 & Skyrim etc. cost a ton of coin. But they'd probably make more money from a tighter, 20-30 hour Warriors style Beat 'Em Up designed for the masses.

Walden

Savant
The Sims 2 spinoffs, both nds and psp titles, were nice games. I'd like to see more of these. Also the main series has no competitors, that's lame.
I'd say also turn based AAA games, but.. they never existed.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Has there ever been something else with Strike Commander gameplay on the PC? A good action flight sim with better graphics than SC?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At this point, any game that's FINISHED would be welcome. Just opened my Steam client and was greeted with 12 Early Access games.

TWELVE? WHAT THE FUCK GABEN??

Deleted member 7219

At this point, any game that's FINISHED would be welcome. Just opened my Steam client and was greeted with 12 Early Access games.

TWELVE? WHAT THE FUCK GABEN??

Don't buy them. Also, I think Steam lets you filter them out.

torpid

Liturgist
Commandos-style real-time isometric stealth games, with a focus on more tools for setting up combined attacks to be carried out by your squad. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun was great, but like many of the incline games that are resurrecting genres it didn't really innovate.

I'd also love for these games to try moving away from their central conceit: that as long as no one sees you taking out a guard, the other guards aren't alarmed. A concept that's highly unrealistic: in reality, guard A who crosses paths with guard B every patrol cycle doesn't have to see the actual elimination of guard B to start getting worried if he doesn't see him anymore--just the fact of guards going missing would be cause for alarm. I remember playing Commandos 2--which had enormous levels--and on a nearly completed map, having eliminated all of the soldiers except for a handful, I suddenly realized how silly it was that the few remaining guards were oblivious to the complete dismantling of their entire base.

This kind of change would incentivize 100% ghosting and would introduce a real time constraint when the player does choose to eliminate guards (there would be some kind of "rising alarm" level), instead of the current model that allows you to grind down the map at a leisurely pace.

sullynathan

Arcane
Severance isn't a button masher, you ignominious doryphore.
Severance is a button masher. Any game that allows me to stun-lock the enemies and even bosses for 10 - 15 hits is a button masher

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom