Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Longsword Tabletop Tactics

Lampros

Literate
This looks very interesting. I might back it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1319847883/longsword-tabletop-tactics/posts/1930968

The Future of Longsword - Your Input Needed!

Hello Backers! I want to start by thanking each and every one of you for believing in this experience that we're creating. You guys will form the core of the community as we begin to build a real playerbase and get this game out into the world. All of you, for backing Longsword, will be getting some special treats regardless of whether this Kickstarter funds or not.

But let's be realistic for a moment - it is unlikely that the modest funding goal set here on Kickstarter will be met, and so it is incumbent on me to figure out why that is and to steer the ship in a new and proper direction. I think that beyond being unable to reach people, it's the business model that has turned away some who might otherwise be my most stalwart supporters.

Now, I want as many people to play this game as possible; hence, the Free to Play business model. The dilemma is that many of my most ardent and stalwart supporters have expressed their reluctance at this business model, because many folks want a fixed value proposition. That is, they want to know exactly what they are getting for their money.

So I am now torn between the two poles of wanting to offer this game up for free while also giving the people what they want, which is a fixed value proposition. Therefore, I am now resolved to a new course of action, but I want to hear your feedback on it before we strike out in this new direction.

What we will do is begin a Steam Early Access program where everyone who backs the project will receive the full Fantasy Play Set. Together, we will refine this game into excellence and once the community is in consensus that the game is ready for the world, then we can begin to offer a free or low-cost starter version to the public. The details of what a public version entails will be refined as we get closer to that point.

For now, however, my thinking is thus: we'll start the Early Access within the next couple of weeks. There will be a modest buy-in, pricing TBD. The average pledge here on Kickstarter is a little more than $35, so I think that helps provide guidance on the market value of the game.

But the face of what this game is, as far as being a CCG/TCG, may very well change as the result of this process. Maybe it is best for us to stay true to the legacy of games like Heroscape where you buy a boxed set and you know what's in it, and if we release more boxes then you can mix and match. This is the type of thing that I want to hear your thoughts about.

So, I would like to invite you to join me on the Steam forums to discuss where we're going. If you have questions or comments, leave them here or come say hi on the forums

https://steamcommunity.com/app/428610/discussions/0/

zer0sum

Zero Sum Games
Developer
Hey Fellas. So this is back from the grave with a new business model! We are live on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/428610/Longsword__Tabletop_Tactics/

Here is also a big rundown on what we're doing in Early Access with a Roadmap through Early Access.
Early Access Roadmap
We are gearing up to Launch the Early Access Program and I want to prime you on what to expect during this process.

Contents:
  1. Current Feature Status
  2. Features To-Do
  3. Current Content Status
  4. Content To-Do
  5. Early Access Update schedule
  6. Early Access Rewards
  7. Release and Onwards
  8. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
  9. The First Few Weeks of EA

1. Current Feature Status of the Game
: Near Feature-Complete Alpha

The game at this point is nearing feature-completion. This means that you can basically do everything that the game promises, which is to play Single-Player Skirmishes against the AI, Multiplayer Skirmishes, and Single-Player Campaigns. All players have access to every card in the game.

You can also create and edit decks from a current card-count of 158 cards, and you have full access to the Map Editor where you can create your own tabletop skirmishes and campaigns which can be shared on the Workshop using the in-game Workshop browser. You can also paint your miniatures in this release, but at this point in time only a handful of units are fully "primed" for painting.

Only one AI Opponent is in the game: Eager Eddy. Eager Eddy is good at attacking and maneuvering, but refuses to use special skills. Eager Eddy will get some friends soon.

2. Features Still To-Do:
1. Enable Ranked Matchmaking
2. Enable Co-op / 2 v AI and 2v2 PVP
3. Challenges & Achivements, to unlock in-game rewards
4. Add more AI Types

3. Current Content Status of the Game
: About Halfway There

As of this writing there are 158 cards in the Fantasy Play Set, and I plan to more than double that amount before an official release. There are also only a small amount of maps that are built-in to the game and a single campaign to introduce those concepts.

4. Content Remaining
1. Increase Card Count to 350+ playable cards
2. "Prime" all Champions for painting
3. Implement Vanity Item rewards (Unit Bases, Hats, etc)

5. EA Update Schedule

Bug fixes, content, and feature updates will generally happen on Thursdays. Critical-issue hotfixes will go out as soon as the issue is discovered. The content goal is to add a minimum of 5 cards per week and to "prime" 5 existing Champions for painting per week. I am often able to exceed that content goal of 5 cards per week but it really depends on what else is going on around the studio.

You can expect regular balance updates as I take in your feedback. There will be a separate forum for posting feedback and bug reports.

6. EA Rewards
Everyone who supports the Early Access Program will receive a Full Fantasy Play Set upon the game's official and final release down the road, plus some extra Vanity Item swag in the form of some cool and unique unit bases.

7. Release and Onwards
Ultimately we want to have as many people as we can playing the game when it leaves Early Access. To get there we will be considering a wide range of business models depending on player feedback, including selling low- or no-cost versions of the game to help bring new players on board. A strong community is good for everyone.

8. Try before you buy

Today is July 19th, 2017, and I'm preparing to upload the Early Access build to Steam. I am also uploading a Free Demo to Steam that is exactly the same as the EA build except for some limitations on Workshop Integration, and for the fact that Demo Players will not be able to play matches against the EA players.

The Demo will not be receiving regular updates and will not be receiving new content. It's a very comprehensive look at what we're doing here and I encourage you to download it and take it for a spin. Our cards are on the table, so to speak, and I want you to see that this is a quality project we have created. And then, I hope, you will come and join us in the Early Access Community.

9. The First Few Weeks

As we come out the gate into Early Access, the first few weeks will be focused entirely on managing the Damage Reports. At the end of this period I envision myself looking like alternate-Universe Riker where the Borg took over the Federation; tattered uniform, unkempt beard, flaming consoles. But with your help, this Enterprise will hold together. You should expect to find bugs, and when you do find them, give me a Damage Report! I'll dispatch my team of highly-trained engineers to recalibrate the dilithium matrix.

Alright, I'm writing a book here.

Wish me Luck.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Was excited until I read who the developer is.

Btw, this is from the guy who did Stardrive 1 and 2. Both games he dropped. Fuck this.
This. Never forget.

Dude, he got 17k on kickstarter to pay for art and then finished the entire game on that budget, except multiplayer. You sound like an asshole.
The game sold quite a few units, if I were to venture a guess more than originally anticipated and certainly enough to finish implementing the features he originally promised after release. If that would not have been possible for whatever reason it should have at the very least been enough dough for sufficient after-release support: http://steamspy.com/app/220660. So not unlocking bonus stretch goal 77 and raking in one billion before production begins is no excuse to abandon the project basically midway through after landing a, by measure of indie games, hit.

On the other side of the coin it has to be said that from the looks of it the game was distributed via a publisher, not independently. And we can't possibly know what kind of deal was struck in regard to profit splits, contractual obligations, arrangements regarding after-release support etc..

But regardless of what transpired behind closed doors with the publisher and all the money talk, one has to remember this was a case of releasing the first game as an aspiring Indie Dev. One would think that even if we are dealing with a "dewy-eyed, unsavvy business person gets fucked over by evil publisher™" type of situation it's a product of love we are dealing with here, not a product of greed. The former would entail some form of pride in your own work and wanting to present your audience with the best achievable version of your dream-come-life creation even if it means spending your precious resources like time or money on polishing your first game, the cornerstone of your future business and what prospective fans shall measure you by. Yet history has shown us all that this clearly has not happened in this instance.

And then there was the second game. Thus far the developer has a track record of calling development to a close too early for 100% of his games, leaving quite a few unfulfilled promises and disgruntled customers along the way. This behavior resulted in bad ratings on steam and many an angry nerd flipping virtual tables vowing never to purchase another game from this developer ever again. Myself included.

For reference this are his previous games; of course the steam reviews are by no means a good indicator of quality yet a bit of google magic shall reveal the truth to whomever seeketh it:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220660/StarDrive/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/252450/StarDrive_2/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom