Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

hello friend

Arcane
It really is a shame. TSW is mostly excellent, but the parts that aren't (combat) make the game borderline unplayable. Great content gated behind hours and hours of chorework. In a different world I probably would have bought all the dlcs, as it stands I only bought the base game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Based on its current revenues, especially the revenue already generated by the new game Conan Exiles, its cost projections, and on the financial instruments at the disposal of the Company including but not restricted to financing and equity issues, the Company has the ability to fund its operations for the next twelve months after the end of 1Q17."

This stuff is released every quarter and can be found http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2017/Funcom_1Q17_Report.pdf

So - assuming Conan Exiles and SWL sold nothing after that report, the company is fine until the end of Q1 2018.

Of course, assuming that either of those games sells nothing is a bad assumption.
So much for the "Funcom is bust" bullshit. Thank you bylam.

Lhynn

Arcane
Whispering tides rewards seem really nice, lots of people hyped for the event. If i have the time ill try it tonight.

Lhynn

Arcane
So ive heard, really lame event, and the hp of the boss used to be higher, it used to be 30 to 40 minutes of button mashing and sometimes people used to fail to complete it because of lack of time. Rewards are great tho.
It would have been so easy to do better in the event part of the event.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Nobody said Funcom is bust. I am saying companies that keep failing don't last long. And speaking of bullshit, did you read the pdf? Of course they are going to make it seem better than it is, they have shareholders and all kinds of people they need to give a good impression to. I bet the year's worth of money they have is borrowed. If Funcom still exists in a year, I'll be amazed.

Stokowski

Arcane
Nobody said Funcom is bust. I am saying companies that keep failing don't last long. And speaking of bullshit, did you read the pdf? Of course they are going to make it seem better than it is, they have shareholders and all kinds of people they need to give a good impression to. I bet the year's worth of money they have is borrowed. If Funcom still exists in a year, I'll be amazed.

Not to mention their share price has dropped 37% in the past 6 months. Having enough liquidity to "maintain operations" for x amount of months means little when your product base is hollowed out, and investors realise this.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Not to mention their share price has dropped 37% in the past 6 months. Having enough liquidity to "maintain operations" for x amount of months means little when your product base is hollowed out, and investors realise this.

Possibly it dropped in the last 6 months by 37% because approx 6 months ago we were right in the hype stage of releasing a new product? Look at any product in Funcom history and there is always a hype spike around launch.
For those with a longer term view, the stock has increased by 170% year over year. That's after the 37% drop that Stokowski mentioned.

https://www.oslobors.no/ob_eng/markedsaktivitet/#/details/FUNCOM.OSE/overview

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I am saying companies that keep failing don't last long.

Funcom founded: 1993

Define "long".
They did well at first. They made lots of single player games that were decent and sold well. But they have had the last 10 years of blowing all their money on MMOs.

If Funcom still exists in a year, I'll be amazed.
Must be kinda fun living life in a state of constant amazement. Quoted for posterity.
Wake me in a year and we'll see!

bylam

Funcom
Developer

It says in the pdf "The cash position increased continually from USD 1,015 thousand at the end of 1Q16 to USD 3,709 thousand at the end of 4Q16, and further to USD 10,286 thousand at the end of 1Q17."
That is $10,000,000 dollars in the bank (that's what cash position means). That's not a loan.

Also it is illegal to lie in those documents - so no they aren't making it "seem better than it is". That's actually the numbers as confirmed by independent auditing.

You can dislike the company, the games, the people etc. But financials of a public listed company are readily available so there is zero need to speculate about this stuff.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Do companies even die anymore these days? It seems like every single one of them just lingers on via some P2W micrtransaction scheme. Look at ArenaNet. Look at CCP. Look at whoever runs all those old WoW knockoffs like DDO, Neverwinter...

bylam

Funcom
Developer
zero need to speculate about this stuff.

Yeah, leave the speculation to the Funcom CEO... Funcom has zero history of market manipulation.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/04/28/ex-funcom-insider-trading-case/

Just FYI, that is also available information. Acquitted for Market Maniupulation. So yeah, zero history with any proof after a 3 year investigation.

Insider trading charge is based on him selling his personal shares when he knew he was leaving, which he is appealing. Also Ex-Funcom CEO.

I also understand that presenting these facts is only going to lead to the backfire effect with you, but that is fine. Mostly for other people to read.

Stokowski

Arcane
For those with a longer term view, the stock has increased by 170% year over year. That's after the 37% drop that Stokowski mentioned.

No it hasn't, as your own link clearly shows. The 170% figure refers to the theoretical profit one may have made if buying Funcom stock at its lowest point and selling it at its highest. It is not an actual measure of real profit or share value, but an indicator of historical volatility.

I'd make a joke about Funcom management not be able to interpret financial data, but perhaps it is still no joke. Either that, or you are just continuing your threadlong behaviour as an outright liar - one who isn't particularly talented at lying, BTW.

EDIT: As a passing thought, assuming you are one of the staff who took on share options last month (some for tens of thousands of shares) you really should be careful about misrepresenting aspects of the company's share value in public. That sort of thing might get you noticed by those pesky financial regulatory people, with whom your company already seems so well acquainted.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
http://massivelyop.com/2017/04/28/ex-funcom-insider-trading-case/

Just FYI, that is also available information. Acquitted for Market Maniupulation. So yeah, zero history with any proof after a 3 year investigation.

Insider trading charge is based on him selling his personal shares when he knew he was leaving, which he is appealing. Also Ex-Funcom CEO.

I also understand that presenting these facts is only going to lead to the backfire effect with you, but that is fine. Mostly for other people to read.

So 3 top funcom executives are only guilty of one type of stock related crime, and not the other... That makes it all better.

Edit: i just noticed, their CEO is Portuguese... All this ineptitude is explained. Never put a sea kaffir in charge of anything, just look at the state of their third world country.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane

No it hasn't, as your own link clearly shows. The 170% figure refers to the theoretical profit one may have made if buying Funcom stock at its lowest point and selling it at its highest. It is not an actual measure of real profit or share value, but an indicator of historical volatility.

I'd make a joke about Funcom management not be able to interpret financial data, but perhaps it is still no joke. Either that, or you are just continuing your threadlong behaviour as an outright liar - one who isn't particularly talented at lying, BTW.

Who would've thought market timing matters for total return to shareholders? I mean, what are you even talking about when you talk about real profit/real share value?

Zetor

Arcane
Regardless of whether funcom is DOOMED or not, is there anything to the Whispering Tide event other than zerging a HP-bloated bird each day for ~15 minutes to get some cosmetic items? I mean, it's reasonably fun to do so once, but not sure I want to keep doing it every day...

just join, flip the bird once or twice and play something on your phone while the others keep chasing it, it's hardly going to make a difference.
i'm seriously tempted to do it myself, the fight it's really that boring.

bylam

Funcom
Developer

Surely I wasn't replying to somebody who made the exact same kind of infer -
Not to mention their share price has dropped 37% in the past 6 months.

Oh, never mind.

It was very hard to set up all those public sources I linked to back up my lies. But shit, totally worth it to spend time arguing with that one guy on the codex who knows the ins and outs of Funcom so well that he tells the employees how it is there.
You are right though, I am so bad at lying people might actually think I am telling the truth and backing it up.

EDIT: As a passing thought, assuming you are one of the staff who took on share options last month (some for tens of thousands of shares) you really should be careful about misrepresenting aspects of the company's share value in public. That sort of thing might get you noticed by those pesky financial regulatory people, with whom your company already seems so well acquainted.

Heh. Oh yeah, they're totally coming after me for linking to the actual stock exchange numbers.

Alright you got your attention for the month. Have fun now.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So what you gonna spend your last 10 mill on? :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom