Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a fan of Rockstar games?

• Total voters

Ezekiel

Arcane
Not really. Fuck shit up in GTA V and the cops will show in five seconds. Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of nowhere. You can be in the wilderness firing a gun at nothing and they'll still come to kill you. The single player story doesn't want you to do that either. The characters all have their morals and don't seem the type to murder indiscriminately. They're not blank slates like the old protagonists. Did they bring back killing sprees or were those mini-games just against gangs? I don't remember.
The only blank slate protag to my knowledge was the main character of GTA 3, even CJ cared about his mom and some other shit.

The rest of your comment ,I don't remember it ever being true.
Yeah, the protagonist of GTA 3 and I believe 1 and 2. A blank slate would work better for GTA, I think. Kind of like the main character from Le samourai. I don't want them to be mute; just more impassive and quiet. I want a guy who you believe could be a sociopath, but are not sure of.

What I say is true. You're not allowed to do any mayhem. Almost as soon as you start killing people, sirens will sound. The police is supernatural.

Freddie

Savant
I liked GTA IV. Liberty City was one of the most detailed cities ever (shame there was not much to do around there) and the story was neat. It's just people hated it because it was too edgy and serious and the complete opposite of San Andreas/Vice City, but I admire R* for trying something new and different. Shame that V regressed in every way imaginable.
I liked it too. Even my favourites are Vice City and San Andreas GTA IV felt like evolution, back to GTA 3 with much better detail, physics, options, etc. San Andreas, while good suffered from late game content feeling a bit thin. So I thought Rockstar was exploring the possibility to try innovations of GTA IV and bring them to yet again in different eras and environments.

I tried GTA V with my friends console and just couldn't get into it.

Perhaps Rockstars approach to series got a bit too serious, then GTA V is huge commercial success even if tone is different.

Rockstar rests too much on their laurels. From GTA III to GTA V, nothing fundamental has changed about their formula. The technology behind the games gets better, but gameplay-wise, it's exactly the same, open world, fixed fairly linear storylines, 99% of gameplay consisting of driving and fighting. They have not introduced other interesting systems, such as in-depth stealth or hacking or dialogue or whatever, have not improved the depth of driving and fighting (GTA IV was the best when it comes to that, but then they dumbed everything right back down with GTA V), have not introduced better AI, more world persistence elements. So, 15-17 years of exactly the same, and now with crappy online stuff.

Falksi

Arcane
Codexers need to stop fooling themselves. You play GTA to fuck shit up and cause mayhem. GTA V allows you to do this more than every single GTA game before it.

Which would be awesome if the game didn't virtually play itself, and you couldn't fuck said shit up with your eyes closed.

sullynathan

Arcane
Which would be awesome if the game didn't virtually play itself, and you couldn't fuck said shit up with your eyes closed.
you can fuck shit up with your eyes closed in every single GTA game. Difference is that combat is bad in all the 3D GTA games while the HD GTA games have at best tolerable combat

Falksi

Arcane
you can fuck shit up with your eyes closed in every single GTA game. Difference is that combat is bad in all the 3D GTA games while the HD GTA games have at best tolerable combat

I found GTA 5's "challenge" the easiest of the 3D GTAs by far. So much so it wasn't worth playing.

What GTA achieves is something I've yet to see any other sandbox achieve - simply getting into a vehicle and driving around the map enjoying the sights can be entertaining. Other sandboxes because of their boring copy/paste world design have to have a fuckload of pointless side activities and collectibles sprinkled all across the map but even then it gets boring fast. Ubisoft sandboxes are of course prime example of this shit. With GTA all it takes for me to have fun is just taking a bike or a sports car and go driving around the mountains.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
GTA V was awesome, I liked the characters, the story, the world building, and there was a ton of shit to do. Rockstar still makes the bestest open world games.

You liked the characters? Blacky, Cucky and Psycho? They're the main reason I didn't play GTA V as much as it'ts predecessors.

One whines about his girl leaving him because he's a gangster and wants her back, but all he does is doing 'Gangsta' stuff with his stupid best friend who does nothing besides getting him into all sorts of trouble - but it's all good because bros4life and shit. The other should kill his family and start over instead of murdering half a city for them and his love for shlocky movies is just dumb. And while it's fun to go on a rampage and drive over old ladies with a tank occasionally, if you're all crazy all the time it gets old fast.

I guess they should mirror the players behavior or something, but please just give me GTA III dude next time.

Ezekiel

Arcane
GTA V was awesome, I liked the characters, the story, the world building, and there was a ton of shit to do. Rockstar still makes the bestest open world games.

You liked the characters? Blacky, Cucky and Psycho? They're the main reason I didn't play GTA V as much as it'ts predecessors.

One whines about his girl leaving him because he's a gangster and wants her back, but all he does is doing 'Gangsta' stuff with his stupid best friend who does nothing besides getting him into all sorts of trouble - but it's all good because bros4life and shit. The other should kill his family and start over instead of murdering half a city for them and his love for shlocky movies is just dumb. And while it's fun to go on a rampage and drive over old ladies with a tank occasionally, if you're all crazy all the time it gets old fast.

I guess they should mirror the players behavior or something, but please just give me GTA III dude next time.
My thoughts as well. I guess I liked the black one the most, because he was the most reasonable and didn't get mad all the time like a bad Scorsese wannabe, but all of them were bland, and together they did nothing for me. Yes, an empty shell of sorts like the character from GTA III would be best, though I do want him to be able to speak. Dan Houser is insincere. He seems to think making the characters really unpleasant will make them compelling, and he lets the forced humor overtake the script. I did like old Max and Niko Bellic, even though they were both kind of whiny. But after GTA V, I'd hire better writers.

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Franklin and Nico were the worst characters in GTA. All they did was bitch and complain about all the fun shit they had the opportunity to engage in.

sullynathan

Arcane
I found GTA 5's "challenge" the easiest of the 3D GTAs by far. So much so it wasn't worth playing.
no GTA game is challenging, but certain missions are. For example, Three leaf clover is the most challenging mission in GTA 4 but most of the other missions aren't. 3D GTA's just had shitty combat and made you restart the mission if you failed even if you fail a mission because of some glitch, some shitty mission design or whatever.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I found some of the toy helicopter missions in GTA Vice City to be pretty difficult, and I couldn't actually beat the train chase in San Andreas when it first came out so I would say that was pretty difficult as well. Other than that the games are a cake walk to me.

Beggar

Cipher
The Warriors was a hell of a game back in the day. Vice City too. I also enjoyed Bully. Everything else - meh

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Watch Dogs 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Any GTA (since it went 3d anyway). And Watch Dogs 2 is only 'ok'. San Andreas was ok though. The thing that pisses me off about GTA games is that they don't know what they want to be. If they want to be "just for fun", then they should be more like Saints Row 4 which is more fun, flying around like superman, kicking cars, flying in space ships and giant mechwarriors etc, blowing shit stuff up. And if they want to be a cinematic, story driven, glimpse into the criminal underworld, then they need to be more like Mafia 1 or GTA3 with crime underworld people not kerrraaazie rednecks and hood gangsters doing fed ex quests.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I found some of the toy helicopter missions in GTA Vice City to be pretty difficult,

That's not because the missions were difficult tho'. It was because the controls were fucking disgustingly hideous and impractical.

Freddie

Savant
Rockstar rests too much on their laurels. From GTA III to GTA V, nothing fundamental has changed about their formula. The technology behind the games gets better, but gameplay-wise, it's exactly the same, open world, fixed fairly linear storylines, 99% of gameplay consisting of driving and fighting. They have not introduced other interesting systems, such as in-depth stealth or hacking or dialogue or whatever, have not improved the depth of driving and fighting (GTA IV was the best when it comes to that, but then they dumbed everything right back down with GTA V), have not introduced better AI, more world persistence elements. So, 15-17 years of exactly the same, and now with crappy online stuff.
Yeah, there were those burglary side missions in GTA:SA but that's about it.

It's funny that you like GTA 4, the most serious game in the series yet you think R* got too serious with GTA V, arguably the most wacky game in the series
Approach to series, tone. Dynamic between Nico and his cousin was black comedy and situations mishaps led were sometimes hilarious. Some stuff on radio was pretty good, but it felt perhaps more to the point and less anarchist than in previous titles. For what I saw GTA V went the same route.

I liked Bully quite a bit, I may check out Warriors, but I just don't feel any desire to get GTA V, Saints Row series sort of spoiled it for me I guess.

sullynathan

Arcane
Dynamic between Nico and his cousin
:what:

No one likes that shit between Nico & Roman

That's not because the missions were difficult tho'. It was because the controls were fucking disgustingly hideous and impractical.
Another reason why the "difficulty" of 3D GTA games were bullshit. Shit combat, shit shooting, poor controls, having to restart missions for stupid reasons and a large amount of inane, stupid missions (looking at you plane training) gives people this thinking that the games were actually challenging

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They are all shitty people. I don't get why Rockstar have to do such a shitty job of everything. Some of us have some basic morals. Killing innocent people rubs me the wrong way. At least playing as the ghetto guy in San Andreas, he was trying to get out of his bad situation, and the people you killed were bad gangsters so overall it felt like I was steering him to success, fighting to get out of his ghetto. Nico was scum and would kill anyone and do anything for money. All 3 characters in GTA5 were shitty people too. These games are just bad in every way. Story, graphics, gameplay, characters, music, locations... Everything about them could be improved and that's inexcusable considering their situation.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I found some of the toy helicopter missions in GTA Vice City to be pretty difficult,

The missions were still difficult, whether it's from a well designed difficulty or just shit controls, it's still difficulty either way.

Athelas

Arcane
Bar none the best open world developer, the level of polish they put into their games is surreal, manages to even surpass blizzard.
It's kind of hard not to have polish when your game has more than a 1000 people working on it for 5+ years and your open world isn't even persistent or seamless (e.g. story missions still run in a separate instance of the game world, and result in an instant game over as soon as you go the slightest bit off-course).

GTA clones became a thing because the GTA formula is relatively simple to replicate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom