Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Hey boss, is there a way to split a stack of items in 2. Like if I have 10 throwing daggers can I make 2 stacks of 5 ?

Is there a way to split a dagger 100 item stack to 50-50? Daggers at that number acquire a considerably weight, overburdening the characters. While splitting them and placing the rest to party inventory could ease the burden on a thief.
no theres not right now it seems.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Scaling doesn't work well. My laptop has a resulution 3000x2000 and scaling, of course, set to 200%. When Grimoire is in confuguration I can see only the upper left quarter of what the game is wanting me to show so I can't even click ' Exit'.

You can experiment with setting the height arbitrarily lower. For example on a 1280 x 1024 native res. monitor scale to full screen clips couple pixels on all sides - game screen stretches outside the bounds of the monitor -, but setting my res. to 1280 x 960 results in correct scaling in fullscreen. No black borders.

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
Scaling doesn't work well. My laptop has a resulution 3000x2000 and scaling, of course, set to 200%. When Grimoire is in confuguration I can see only the upper left quarter of what the game is wanting me to show so I can't even click ' Exit'.

You can experiment with setting the height arbitrarily lower. For example on a 1280 x 1024 native res. monitor scale to full screen eats away pixels, but setting my res. to 1280 x 960 results in correct scaling in fullscreen. No black borders.

When I have windows scaling on 200% the game draws itself over 4 times the actual screensize. Wished there were some black borders, I wouldn't be bothered by that :)

mercyRPG

Cipher
  • Setting the monster encounters to never allows peaceful search for secrets in dungeons.

• When you set the movement to quick step, you can get a feeling what a horrible mess the "turn smooth" options are. Smooth forward movement is an okay coding job, but too slow. The turning should have been programmed expertly during the 20 years, allowing a nice horizontal scrolling of the scenery during smooth turns. Its currently an inept coding mess, as if a hopeless high school dropout attempted to take a crack at a coding job, that should have been done by an expert 2D graphics programmer.

• Notice, there are no faraway monsters to be seen - 1992-era tech in Eye of the Beholder - , all enemies appear magically from Nowhere and the game is empty regards showing NPCs or monsters in the distance, completely erasing the massive fun of Chase Games or running from monsters, playing hide and catch. Now THAT would have been massive incline. In the current form the non-existent distant mobs - complete visual emptiness of the game regards NPCs/monsters - reflect ridiculously inept programming.

• A good portion of the graphics done by competent artists reflect a much higher level skill than Cleve's weak programming and he forcing in good ideas into a system, which is coded so botchedly bad, its so amazing, its fun to observe! 20 FRIGGIN years of development and no item stack splits, horribly small skill/condition windows with microscopic fonts - probably from the time, when Cleve had young eyes and sharp vision. :)

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
FYI

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 46 minutes ago
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

I have been trying an hour to determine how to send the key across Steam directly like a gift to backers. I have not found anything so I have to send them one at a time by email.

mercyRPG

Cipher

You can experiment with setting the height arbitrarily lower. For example on a 1280 x 1024 native res. monitor scale to full screen eats away pixels, but setting my res. to 1280 x 960 results in correct scaling in fullscreen. No black borders.

When I have windows scaling on 200% the game draws itself over 4 times the actual screensize. Wished there were some black borders, I wouldn't be bothered by that :)
Ah, you meant operating system or graphics card scaling. Okay. I would set it to around 100% just for Grimoire and experiment with custom resolutions to achieve 3000x~1800 for example.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
All this bitching about the backer keys... just buy the damn game and be done with it. You telling me you backed this game on Indiegogo but can't muster 35 bucks to buy it?
I already paid the value of three damn copies of the game through Indiegogo. What kind of retard would I have to be to buy it a fourth time? Verily, man is not a learning animal.
Our reward is that we get to continue to wait for our hard copies. For other saps, the waiting game is over.

And when you consider inflation and shipping costs, Cleve probably loses money on the deal if he ever meets it, even if you pay for an extra Steam copy now. So even the petty can take heart in the outcome.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
  • When you set the movement to quick step, you can get a feeling what a horrible mess the "turn smooth" options are. Smooth forward movement is an okay coding job, but too slow. The turning should have been programmed expertly during the 20 years, allowing a nice horizontal scrolling of the scenery during smooth turns. Its currently an inept coding mess, as if a hopeless high school dropout attempted to take a crack at a coding job, that should have been done by an expert 2D graphics programmer.

Lands of Lore had the same problem. The only "2D" blobber I have ever played that managed smooth-scrolling while turning without gaps is Anvil of Dawn, and that was only because the map tiles were all pre-rendered 3D.

Rumsfeld

Scholar
It's certainly been entertaining following this over the years. First we got to laugh at Cleve's grandiose promises, fun rants and endless missed deadlines. Now we get to see the hate brigade desperately trying to change tack on the game that would never come out.

Apr1, 2017
He will release the same old demo on Early Access and leave it in that state perpetually as it collects money.

Aug5, 2017
It's the superdemo.

Aug6, 2017
I'll pirate the game in a month or two, just to say I tried it. By then someone will have gotten to the "end" which will just be a crash to desktop because the game is unfinished. It may be removed from Steam at that point, especially after all the stolen code and assets come to light.

Long may it continue.

Dexter

Arcane
This is a known issue with 4K displays and high Windows Scaling settings and not specific to Grimoire, go into your local Grimoire folder --> Right Click "Grimoire.exe" --> "Compatibility" --> Tick Checkmark on "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Then Stretch to Full Screen in the game's settings and everything should be fine.

Keep in mind if you have similar issues with other Apps.

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
This is a known issue with 4K displays and high Windows Scaling settings and not specific to Grimoire, go into your local Grimoire folder --> Right Click "Grimoire.exe" --> "Compatibility" --> Tick Checkmark on "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Then Stretch to Full Screen in the game's settings and everything should be fine.

Keep in mind if you have similar issues with other Apps.

Very nice, that did the trick :-D

mercyRPG

Cipher
InGlorious State of HotKeys:

• TAB key should open AUTOMAP or M: there appears to be no way to get to screens via hotkeys directly??? Massive incline??? 20 years of development?? More like incompetent programmer.
  • PageUp + PageDown selects previous / next character on inventory screen
  • Why is there a useless scrolling through function TAB / SHIFT TAB ?? Like in MS Word or Excel??
  • ENTER acts like LMB currently. Puts the item back or takes it. Useless.
  • P should be pick lock or configurable..
  • RUN ALL FROM BATTLE hotkey missing
  • CAST SPELL HOTKEY MISSING: it should take us to the spells screen

Weasel

• TAB key should open AUTOMAP or M: there appears to be no way to get to screens via hotkeys directly??? Massive incline??? 20 years of development?? More like incompetent programmer.
  • Why is there a useless scrolling through function TAB / SHIFT TAB ?? Like in MS Word or Excel??

Given your apparent disdain for the game and Cleve I assume you're pirating it?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Given your apparent disdain for the game and Cleve I assume you're pirating it?
Regardless, his suggestions are good.

At least hes giving feedback lol

mercyRPG

Cipher

Lands of Lore had the same problem. The only "2D" blobber I have ever played that managed smooth-scrolling while turning without gaps is Anvil of Dawn, and that was only because the map tiles were all pre-rendered 3D.

You are right! The turning is much faster in Lands of Lore however, so its not so noticeable. I had the idea of:
1. making a long horizontal - panorama - screenshot, before the smooth turning action begins
2. which panorama consists of (A) the current direction whole game-screen screenshot,
3. (B) the completed turn of the next direction, LEFT or RIGHT turn of the game screen - this second screenshot is attached to the panorama,
4. this dual-screen panorama then is smoothly scrolled into place, resulting in the player looking where he wanted to turn, then the game "real-time" controls are given back to the player.
5. I have to try this out.... Nope. As you can see, "art is missing":
HpCum54.png

If you begin to think, you realize, smooth-turning should have never been enabled. Fast snap turning should have been left as the only option, while allowing to advance "smoothly forward" as a feature. There is no way to turn smoothly even with additional art, without making it weird, with filler art, then fading it out, when the turn is complete to indicate to the player that to the right there is a free grid cell to walk onto. Only 3D turning would be correct, the dungeons recreated as textured 3D boxes, allowing some quasi Wolfenstein 3D --> 2D camera turn behavior, translated into blobber turning.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom