Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a game

PanteraNera

Arcane
So my top three is:
1. Fallout
2. Jagged Alliance 2
3. UFO: Enemy Unknown

Are there any games out there, that are NOT inferior to those ;)? I wasted so many time of my life on these games, especially UFO and there has not been a single game that came even close to them, at least it seems like that to me.

Noteworthy games I liked too: Gothic 1&2, Silent Storm, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, Fallout Tactics, Fallout 2, SWKOTOR 1&2

XCOM: Enemy Unkown, was not bad but not good either, it was somewhat entertaining, but inferior to the original UFO on every level, okay presentation and graphics are an plus.
Didn't liked Xenonauts, I rather play the original.
Wasteland 2 was for my taste just to silly on many parts, it was kind of fun, but only kind of.
Fallout New Vegas was okaish, mostly because their was no fucking other Fallout, still butthurt about Van Buren :deadhorse:

I tried old codex favorite Arcanum, didn't liked the setting.
Battle Brothers was promising but instead of delivering what they had planed (see dev blogs and forum post's) they just canceled released the game.
Had high hopes for Dead State as well but yeah I hated the characters, the "crisis system", the shelter system, the leader system, and so on.
Really wanted to like Underrail, but I just didn't got hooked.

PS: Not sure if this should have been posted in the RPG or strategy section.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Somberlain
Meh, I am really not to much into the fantasy setting with some expections.

Jokzore
Yeah thanks, played that one a while back for a little :)

Jimmious
Yeah Battle Brothers was promising to me, I really got hooked, than they released it and called it done in its current state, than I stoped playing. Don't get me wrong, I really do like what they have done so far, but there was so much more room to make it a really great game, an instant clasic and they just stoped half way. Leason learned, never ever closely follow development of an early access game and think they are going to make the game they say they want to.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm then maybe Mordheim : City of the Damned?
It is though also in a fantasy setting.

Falksi

Arcane
Underrail is floating my boat big time at the mo. How come you didn't get hooked? Have you given it more than one try?

PanteraNera

Arcane
Jimmious
Don't meet the system requierments :x

procrastinator
How could I fucking forget to mention that game! It was glorius, thanks for reminding me, now I have to replay it, again :D.

ERYFKRAD
wow Realms of Arkania, Das Schwarze Auge, I think I played them back than when they were released, wow have to check this out, thanks!
Also I have played Hammer & Sickle, I think not to far. 7,62 was fun, as was Birgad E5. All of them good games, but not GREAT as my top 3 ;).

Falksi
actually I had given it one try, I might check it out again, why did you get hooked?

Master

Arbiter
Try Tropico 1, it may be the closest to your top 3. Its like JA2 but you play as the queen. Though it looks you want something with combat...

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I believe ERYFKRAD was trying to be edgy when he proposed the HD remake of Realms of Arkania. The remake is infamously horrible in both execution and presentation. You are better off grabbing the original versions from gog.com

You have listed some very tough acts to follow. Sadly I have to inform you that there are no games which even come close to the classics of old on your list. As the saying goes "they don't make 'em like they used to". Especially since in this already niche field, non-fantasy settings are offering even fewer viable choices of possible contenders.

From the top of my head I can propose two candidates you might wish to look into, mostly based on your liking of Fallout so they are RPGs, not tactical combat games (mind you though both games have to be classified as "inferior" compared to the entirety of your top three):
- Hard West. Wild west setting with horror elements. http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670/Hard_West/
- Shadowrun. Cyberpunk world you probably heard of before, based on the Roleplaying setting. There's three games in the series. I have played the first and the second one. Second one is bigger, more features: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/Shadowrun_Dragonfall__Directors_Cut/

Both games should be played on the highest difficulty possible, since as a veteran seeking a challenge you would probably be let down completely otherwise quite honestly. And even then I have to stress once again these games are in no way coming close to your listed games in regards to tactical combat options. One could even argue they are more akin to a puzzle than a proper tactical game when you are familiar with the likes of UFO and Jagged Alliance.

To give you a quick playtime indicator I played through Shadowrun: Dragonfall in 24 hours and Hard West in 17 hours. So they are quite short, too.

/e: forgot to mention, in both games combat orients itself somewhat on the new Xcom series. If that should be any indicator of quality to you.

Falksi

Arcane
Jimmious
Don't meet the system requierments :x

procrastinator
How could I fucking forget to mention that game! It was glorius, thanks for reminding me, now I have to replay it, again :D.

ERYFKRAD
wow Realms of Arkania, Das Schwarze Auge, I think I played them back than when they were released, wow have to check this out, thanks!
Also I have played Hammer & Sickle, I think not to far. 7,62 was fun, as was Birgad E5. All of them good games, but not GREAT as my top 3 ;).

Falksi
actually I had given it one try, I might check it out again, why did you get hooked?

The combat is the main hook for me. Each battle can vary greatly, and it always feel fresh.

I'm playing a pure PSI build and that is a big part of the hook. I reckon it took me until Junkyard to get full into the game, and I didn't spend much time exploring early doors either which helped. I just played the main quest & the odd side quest until after Junkyard.

PanteraNera

Arcane
I believe ERYFKRAD was trying to be edgy when he proposed the HD remake of Realms of Arkania. The remake is infamously horrible in both execution and presentation. You are better off grabbing the original versions from gog.com
:( thank you for the warning, as I said I am not to much into fantasy, but if it is a good game ... I have to try it ;).

You have listed some very tough acts to follow. Sadly I have to inform you that there are no games which even come close to the classics of old on your list. As the saying goes "they don't make 'em like they used to". Especially since in this already niche field, non-fantasy settings are offering even fewer viable choices of possible contenders.
:( Angelo85 speaker of truth, even if it hurts like hell ;). Still there is something in me that hopes that there might be something, hidden from me, something that might come close to them but yeah, I fucking can't belief it, I mean UFO is how old? 23 fucking years?! Damn! And there is nothing even close to it and just two people have developt it?! I mean ... what the fuck, how can there be no other good or even better game like that in 23 years? Its hard to belief, but the GOLDEN AGE OF GAMING, might just been over.
Sometimes I think I am just nostalgic, as I have grown up with these games, I was born 1981. But honestly, I can not see a game that is overall better than UFO if it comes to grand-scale down to tactical combat, randomized maps! interesting and different enemies! research and development! and so on. Really hoped for Xenonauts, but even they managed to be inferior to the original. Insane.
Same goes for Jagged Alliance 2 for other reasons, Characters that interact with each other, Characters that respond to their surronding, good strategic AND tactical gameplay, a story (!), destructible enviroment. And all in one, mind me I am just talking about the features that impressed me the most. In regards to characters interacting with each other and theri surroundings, I had high hopes for Dead State, as well as they seemed to mix diffrent genres, as base building, with tactical combat and "hard" decisions, but damn, they failed so miserably and that 18 years after Jagged Alliance.
And Fallout ... I just love the lore, the setting, it will be propably allways be the number one game in my heart and no other game came even close to it. I love the quests, the characters, the choices and consequences, just the whole package. Okay fucking Ian shooting your back is anoying as hell :P.
Like I said, I can not fucking belief that in the last 20 years, nothing was developt that came close to these, or were even better!

From the top of my head I can propose two candidates you might wish to look into, mostly based on your liking of Fallout so they are RPGs, not tactical combat games (mind you though both games have to be classified as "inferior" compared to the entirety of your top three):
- Hard West. Wild west setting with horror elements. http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670/Hard_West/
Thanks for reminding me of this one, I give it a try, I had followed its development :)

- Shadowrun. Cyberpunk world you probably heard of before, based on the Roleplaying setting. There's three games in the series. I have played the first and the second one. Second one is bigger, more features: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/Shadowrun_Dragonfall__Directors_Cut/
Have played it, actually I liked Dragonfall the most! Only played DMS a little, liked Hong Kong but didnt finished it, Dragonfall is the best out of the three, really enjoyed the writting and atmosphere.

Angelo85 thank you very much for your well write and informative post, I highly appriciate it :)

Falksi
Psi, eh one of the reasons I disliked Underrail right from the beginning, but thats just me being not open-minded, thank you I will give it another try :)

Dr Skeleton
Wow just read about it on steam, that really seems like a interesting game! Thank you, never heared of it before! Thats an first :D.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
So my top three is:
1. Fallout
2. Jagged Alliance 2
3. UFO: Enemy Unknown

Those are some of the best non-fantasy isometric squad-based tactical games I can think of, it's going to be hard to find anything that equals them.

I would recommend Divinity: Original Sin, but you don't like silly story elements and it's a fantasy setting.

thinking...

^ That's probably the best suggestion ITT based on your criteria.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Gregz
So I basicly made a troll post? I asked for something noone could answer. That makes me slightly sad, but mostly butthurt.
Excuse me asking this, but what does D:OS stand for?

PrettyDeadman

Try Low Magick Age.

It's a tactical D&D (OGL) game.
It's a bit early in development, so there are only few classes/spells available, but it already feels really solid.
Right now only arena mode is open, but they plan to add proper story mode later..
It's relatively cheap, pick it up and try it.

You could also check Age of Fear out. Don't know much about it, but it looked alright...

Freddie

Savant
Gregz
So I basicly made a troll post? I asked for something noone could answer. That makes me slightly sad, but mostly butthurt.
Excuse me asking this, but what does D:OS stand for?

Edited my post above to include the title. I would try Shadowrun: Dragonfall as Angelo suggested.

Yeah, Shadowrun series is the only one I can think of as well, and Dragonfall from the series.

Zenith

Arbiter
If you like micromanaging equipment and having worldmap/tactical/story layers, maybe try NEO Scavenger? Could be hit-or-miss. There's a demo iirc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom