Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Wait, so a Berserker will, at some point, cast healing spells, or something?

THE SAWYERISATION OF GRIMWAH BEGINS

about fucking time

Cleve needs the help of some limp wristed saps to work on balance

climber513

Literate
Looks like I'm a little stuck. I got the
Royal Seal of Loogmar from the dwarf vendor in Crowl after giving him that letter from his father. I have a couple of essential items from all over the place, but I dunno how to cross that chasm to get to the other side and open the gate with the seal. The one thing I haven't done yet is to go into the baths and find the missing sister. There's a locked gate down there I don't know how to open, and I already went through the tomb of that saint, up into the eyrie, and found that huge egg. No idea what to do with it tho.

Hint
You need to get a certain item from the Deepsink Project and process it to be able to cross the chasm.

Complete Spoiler

Get the weird ore from the Deepsink Project and then place it into the hydraulic press in the same level. Doing so will create the stepping stones, which you have to drag up to the use button at the edge of the chasm to actually create the bridge. Clicking use and then on the stones doesn't work - I wasted a lot of time due to that!

Kayerts

Arcane
I had a post about the rules for multiclassing (major point: each class only has three allowed outgoing multiclasses, regardless of how high your stats get; I made a list). Someone said it should be stickied and put in its own thread, so it was put in its own thread and not stickied, which was a nice idea but probably means fewer people will see it. Anyway, here's the link.

Danthar

Novice
Anyone know how to change the order of my party? It is irritating to have a fighter join me and stand in the back lines.

Extra tip (since the question was already answered above (click nameplates)): you can do this during combat to switch out damaged frontline characters. Really useful!

New info (I hadn't read/heard it anywhere yet at least): A Vampyr Bite seems to be able to curse (just went in for lols a bit with a very weird party composition and it procced a few times, eventually I deduced that it's very likely the curse is due to the Vampyr bite), which is quite nice actually.
This mimics the behaviour of the Naga Bite which poisons (Lash Coil seems not to poison, but I could have had bad rng luck, but seems to get more additional attacks and if so it gets you 2 additional attacks).

I am quite interested in hand-to-hand combat and its viability later on actually.. Probably not seeing the '6d8' weapons in some screenshots here. Still, anyone know if Iron Hand is obtainable outside of a Sanctuary start, and, more importantly, what it actually does (I did read the description)?

Also, can the Drake Firebreath for example improve so it can hit multiple targets if you use it enough or with higher level or so?

lorn

Educated
Blindness and Insanity also have chances to hit your own allies, as do confusion and charm. Disease essentially spawns paralyze, confusion and insanity.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
Royal Seal of Loogmar from the dwarf vendor in Crowl after giving him that letter from his father. I have a couple of essential items from all over the place, but I dunno how to cross that chasm to get to the other side and open the gate with the seal. The one thing I haven't done yet is to go into the baths and find the missing sister. There's a locked gate down there I don't know how to open, and I already went through the tomb of that saint, up into the eyrie, and found that huge egg. No idea what to do with it tho.

Hint
You need to get a certain item from the Deepsink Project and process it to be able to cross the chasm.

Complete Spoiler

Get the weird ore from the Deepsink Project and then place it into the hydraulic press in the same level. Doing so will create the stepping stones, which you have to drag up to the use button at the edge of the chasm to actually create the bridge. Clicking use and then on the stones doesn't work - I wasted a lot of time due to that!

How do you open the gate to Samhain after crossing the chasm ? There's an iron gate, a pile of bones, and the royal seal does not seem to work..

Kayerts

Arcane
People were asking about spell lists for non-spellcaster classes; I updated that on my thread. Relevant portion:

WIZARD, CLERIC, NECROMANCER, SAGE, THAUMATURGE: Each learns his own school, starting at level 1.

Other classes:
WARRIOR: Wizard spells at level 9
RANGER: Cleric spells at 3
THIEF: Thaumaturge spells at 6
TEMPLAR: Cleric spells at 3
BERSERKER: Thaumaturge spells at 10
JESTER: Sage and Wizard spells at 3
BARD: Cleric and Wizard spells at 3
METALSMITH: Sage spells at 6
PIRATE: Wizard and Thaumaturge spells at 6
ASSASSIN: Thaumaturge and Necromancer spells at 3

Additionally, it looks like the interaction between multiclassing and spell learning is weird, by which I mean it doesn't exist. Spells available to learn on level-up are based solely on your current class. If you're a level 10 cleric and change your class into templar, you don't get to count your cleric levels toward the spell list; you start learning spells again at templar level 3, and you learn them as a level 3 templar.

Stabwound

Arcane
Can someone give me a hint (not a spoiler) about what to do?

I 100% mapped the spirit caves, but I can't figure out how to proceed. I can't open the door in either the Cenotaph or the Tomb. I feel like I must be missing something obvious and dumb.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Hint

Complete Spoiler

Deepsink Project? Oooooooh... now I remember entering a new dungeon level that I totally forgot about! Well, derp! Thanks!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Can someone give me a hint (not a spoiler) about what to do?

I 100% mapped the spirit caves, but I can't figure out how to proceed. I can't open the door in either the Cenotaph or the Tomb. I feel like I must be missing something obvious and dumb.

Have you been to the catacombs below the temple in the town yet? Ask the librarian for the key.

Oh, and as I mention that...
I haven't found the book he wanted me to bring him yet; where is it? I killed the lich and cleared out the Cenotaph

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Have you been to the catacombs below the temple in the town yet? Ask the librarian for the key.

Oh, and as I mention that...
I haven't found the book he wanted me to bring him yet; where is it? I killed the lich and cleared out the Cenotaph
You missed
a secret room in the Cenotaph, by the library, where you can find the Tome of the Spider.

A question of my own: Does Sir Coffergus do anything if you
hand him the Amulet of Astrixus, which apparently is the secret goal of his quest
?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A question of my own: Does Sir Coffergus do anything if you Show Spoiler hand him the Amulet of Astrixus, which apparently is the secret goal of his quest ?

I think he can join you after that.

How do you open the gate to Samhain after crossing the chasm ? There's an iron gate, a pile of bones, and the royal seal does not seem to work..

You need to get something in the Ukluk Mines for Smithers. This will give you what you need to proceed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah Coffergus can join you if you give him the amulet.

I just charmed him and stole it back, right after I made him overjoyed at giving him his quest goal :M

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
How do I get infravision to see in the Deepsink Project? Light spell doesn't work, so that's not the way.

Nyast

Cipher
You need to get something in the Ukluk Mines for Smithers. This will give you what you need to proceed.

Are you referring to the amulet ? I already have it. It seems like I need to combine it with a mediallion, but I have no idea where that one is. First guess was to go back to Ulkul but I've explored everything and I don't think I missed a secret, so I no longer have any idea where to look.. more hints please ;)

Viata

Arcane
Yeah Coffergus can join you if you give him the amulet.

I just charmed him and stole it back, right after I made him overjoyed at giving him his quest goal :M

Why? And what about the catechism?..
The book you fond there on mausoleum, give to him and he will explain it for you, then you can convert your party to catechism(big mouth there on mausoleum tells you how)and get the sword

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Are you referring to the amulet ? I already have it. It seems like I need to combine it with a mediallion, but I have no idea where that one is. First guess was to go back to Ulkul but I've explored everything and I don't think I missed a secret, so I no longer have any idea where to look.. more hints please ;)

There is a gate in NW Ukluk where you need to use the King Loogmar seal.

Greyfox12311

Literate
So I ever since the last patch I'm having an issue with anything I buy from NPC's. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug. Even after identifying an item a NPC sells me when I go to equip or use it it is no longer identified and I can't. For example I identify a spell book at the NPC selling it then I assay it once in my possesion but then when I go to scribe it, it is no longer identified. Any help?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How do I get infravision to see in the Deepsink Project? Light spell doesn't work, so that's not the way.

I think you just have to wing it in the dark. It's pretty easy with the automap. As to infravision, maybe Vamphyrs have it, or something?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So I ever since the last patch I'm having an issue with anything I buy from NPC's. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug. Even after identifying an item a NPC sells me when I go to equip or use it it is no longer identified and I can't. For example I identify a spell book at the NPC selling it then I assay it once in my possesion but then when I go to scribe it, it is no longer identified. Any help?

That's an old problem which Cleve said should be fixed in the newest update.

Greyfox12311

Literate

It's not unfortunatly

Greyfox12311

Literate
These patches are getting ridiculous. He just patched it again like ten minutes ago and now it won't even open. I'm getting tired of restarting. I know I can download an older version but, you would think patches should be stable. I keep losing save games.

Weasel

It's not unfortunatly

Think there's a temp workaround on the forums for that:
glenn3e
iconGames.png
4 hours ago
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

Originally posted by FRThaxlsyssilyaan:
Originally posted by Adam:
Hi Cleve. Been playing 1.2.0.7 with a fresh party, and the identify bug is still in it (noted that in the 1.2.0.7 thread). Can't scribe books I bought from NPCs because they are still treated as unidentified, though they only refer to their unidentified status during scribing/using.

Can you drop them on floor, pick them up again and ID them again through regular mean? I've read that workaround, i'm curious if it work.

It works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom