Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Does the Hivemind enjoy Grimoire?

Please rate your enjoyment of Grimoire

• Total voters

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
After a couple days of playing, the initial burst of euphoria above and below the waistline has finally faded. Colors return to their natural gloomy state as harsh reality sets in once more.
Now that we have been able to actually play the full game for a good while it is time to take a step back and look at Grimoire objectively. I wish to find out whether or not the Codex does enjoy Grimoire. For this purpose I have created this very poll.

Certain emotions might have grown over the years or perhaps you let unrealistic expectations be built up in that sexy brain of yours. I know it's hard but please try to free yourself of all of that and be as objective as you can be when rating the game itself.

And most importantly, before you leave your vote I feel it necessary to stress that the purpose of this poll is to rate the game based on your impressions and experiences thus far, not to judge the mind or history behind it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There is literally NOTHING (new) out there at ALL that has as much fucking INCLINE than this game. This IS the game I have been waiting for (I love the Wizardry series), for over 20 years, and Cleve delivered.

Truly the greatest roleplaying game of them all!

:salute:

Danthar

Novice
Mostly I say [4] and not [5] out of prudence, it hasn't proven to be [5] yet, as I have not really started (despite dabbling for 10 hours now). So that remains to be seen. Very possible [5]. I hope [5].
But, I think I've seen enough to confidently say [4] atm.

Whipping Post

Educated
Voted #4 hesistantly and based only on what I've seen so far in the 15 hours I've played. This is without consideration for bugs and balance issues because these are things I expect will be fixed or at least mitigated. It's what I wanted in a blobber and has exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I couldn't give it more than a 4 for now because of its various problems and its extremely odd mechanics for certain tasks such as inventory management, but, let me also state the following:

- I can't stop thinking about Grimoire and how much I look forward to playing it after work
- I went out and bought a brand-new paper notepad in which to take notes on Grimoire because some of its quests aren't even close to obvious and I have to start thinking like a neanderthal
- It makes me smile and laugh out loud often while playing it

I haven't done those things with a computer roleplaying game in a long, long time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm baffled by anyone claiming this to be a worthy continuation of Wizardry when Wizardry FUCKING ONE has better-designed features, a tighter class system and, most importantly, a more tolerable UI that even permits efficient keyboard input.

I understand you're all in on the joke but my German-genes apparently make me unable to laugh at this collective pretending.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
in its current state it seems to be Good For What It Is, if Cleve fixes some game-breaking stuff and channels his inner Sawyer I'm sure it will be the blobber I enjoy the most (well there's also BTIV)

Unwanted

Wehraboo

Unwanted
I'm going to wait another 20 years until all the hotfixes have been applied, but the demo was really good and just that fact it's FINALLY OUT simply blows my mind. I don't know if you can say it is as good as the best overall RPGs of all time but if the game delivers like the demo it is probably the best overall RPG ever made by a small team let alone a single guy. SO I gave it a 5 for that, though it may only deserve a 4 depending on final bugfixes and how you want to judge it.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'm baffled by anyone claiming this to be a worthy continuation of Wizardry when Wizardry FUCKING ONE has better-designed features, a tighter class system and, most importantly, a more tolerable UI that even permits efficient keyboard input.

I understand you're all in on the joke but my German-genes apparently make me unable to laugh at this collective pretending.
You just want to promote decline JPRGs instead. Fuck you!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Provide arguments.

You want me to provide arguments for what? Why I like Grimoire? I think I already did that.

If you mean why it surpasses Wizardry, I never asserted that. Wizardry, in my mind, was the first and will always be the best. 6,7 and 8 were incredible games. Cleve himself has acknowledged that. Hell, those games are why he made Grimoire in the first place.

If you're pondering what specifically it is people like me see in a game like Grimoire, that's rather hard to describe. I can only provide an anecdote:

Once I got past the technical weirdness of Grimoire, I felt like I was transported back to being sixteen years old again. Actually, at one point, I had a cup of coffee while I was playing it, and I sat back as a combat encounter was beginning and I had issued my orders, leaning back in my chair to watch the results unfold. It just sort of hit me then. "This is what I love about blobbers." Real blobbers, that is, turn-based combat-oriented games that force you to make decisions, hit a key, then sit back with your cup of coffee and hope you don't get your ass handed to you. That is what a blobber and therefore a game like Grimoire means to me.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought Wizardry 7 and Might and Magic 5 had been the last of their kind: the turn-based blobber with combat that is actually fun. The blobber revival of recent years has mostly led to shitty EoB-clones, and real time clickfest combat systems haven't been fun in the 90s either.

But, lo and behold, along comes Grimoire, picking up the torch of Wizardry and Might and Magic, and it doesn't feel like a nostalgia-farming retro game that tries to capture the atmosphere of 90s gaming.

No, this IS 90s gaming in its purest form. Grimoire feels like you found some old floppies in your basement with a game that for some reason you haven't played before.

I'm not that far in yet, but what I've seen was almost on par with Wizardry 7. I'd count Grimoire among the top 10 of the first person dungeon crawler genre. Definitely beats all the real time ones.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Provide arguments.

You want me to provide arguments for what? Why I like Grimoire? I think I already did that.

If you mean why it surpasses Wizardry, I never asserted that. Wizardry, in my mind, was the first and will always be the best. 6,7 and 8 were incredible games. Cleve himself has acknowledged that. Hell, those games are why he made Grimoire in the first place.

If you're pondering what specifically it is people like me see in a game like Grimoire, that's rather hard to describe. I can only provide an anecdote:

Once I got past the technical weirdness of Grimoire, I felt like I was transported back to being sixteen years old again. Actually, at one point, I had a cup of coffee while I was playing it, and I sat back as a combat encounter was beginning and I had issued my orders, leaning back in my chair to watch the results unfold. It just sort of hit me then. "This is what I love about blobbers." Real blobbers, that is, turn-based combat-oriented games that force you to make decisions, hit a key, then sit back with your cup of coffee and hope you don't get your ass handed to you. That is what a blobber and therefore a game like Grimoire means to me.

Is that what you wanted to hear?
Yes. Thank you. That wasn't so difficult.

Kitchen Utensil

I demand another colour and at least two geometric shape options in the poll.
Thank you kindly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
After a couple days of playing, the initial burst of euphoria above and below the waistline has finally faded.

No it hasn't.

Now that we have been able to actually play the full game for a good while it is time to take a step back and look at Grimoire objectively.

Pal, no one has even completed the thing yet. Sure you can have your poll, but it's very clearly early impressions. The consensus on Grimoire will happen in next year's RPG poll.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Roguey said:
Pal, no one has even completed the thing yet. Sure you can have your poll, but it's very clearly early impressions. The consensus on Grimoire will happen in next year's RPG poll.

allow me to quote myself
Angelo said:
[...]the purpose of this poll is to rate the game based on your impressions and experiences thus far,

Themadcow

Augur
Tough question. It's clearly not the best, but I'm torn between it being "on a par" with the best (imo Wiz 6, 7, BT1) and "good for what it is" which is a fairly buggy indie tribute to the great Blobbers mentioned above. Trying not to be skewed by the legend of Grimoire and Cleve, I think it's probably not quite up there with Wiz 6 and 7 but it could be with a bit more polish. There is a truly excellent blobber in them there hills.

Alkarl

Learned
Rated a 4. While it imitates others, it imitates the best while still bringing it's own unique qualities. The challenge, both in and out of combat, is refreshing. While the effort employed to produce such a work is nothing short of inspiring.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
One thing that's different from Wizardry is that Grimoire has more Might & Magic influences: the humor, the colors, etc. So in a way, it's really a mix of the two. Parts of Grimoire are quite dark and serious and those are the ones I personally like the most. It brings back that mystery and immersion of Wizardry, while the humor at least for me is breaking the fourth wall. I guess it's a question of taste - some prefer the Might & Magic lighthearted style, while I prefer the Wizardry seriousness.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I can't vote yet because with only 11 hours in (with still more than 589 beyond me since my savegame was lost thanks to the infamous 1.2.0.7 update) I would go for the 4th category, but the Golden Baby knows what awaits me beyond the first area, once I get past the Uklurk mines. It could very well be the greatest RPG of them all after some couple hundred hours more, there's so much to explore and kill yet... jokes to laugh at, turtles to ride, golden babies to find...
What I know for sure is that it's a very good game, truly a relic from another era in the best sense: it brings back the joy of challenge in times when playing a RPG had become more a chore than a enjoyable experience. If any of what Cleve has ever said is true, it's that Grimoire was something worth waiting for.

dionizeno

Novice
Gave it a 4 bc it is a (flawed) gem and on par w/ Wizardry, MM etc. but 20+ years late. If Cleve fixes all bugs/exploits/issues and gets the yet missing feats done right, it might be a 5 and a well deserved place in the top rpgs list. Til now he always delivered, sorts of (beta, demo, superdemo, (ea-)release), so i'm quite optimistic for the next few years.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
One thing that's different from Wizardry is that Grimoire has more Might & Magic influences: the humor. .
while I prefer the Wizardry seriousness .

Wizardry has serious tone? It is literally rife with humor and certainly way more humorous than M&M. Half-naked Valkyries driving red rockets, characters saying "She was a bony lass" when a female party member dies. The fuck you talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom