Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Rolling chars make take additional time since your great maximum 32 roll character may end up with 1 hit point (or be low on magic points).

Still it beats Wiz7 where you could spend 600 hours rolling your troupe of Faerie Ninjas (being too prestigious to use a char editor).

Nixheb

Arcane
Rolling chars make take additional time since your great maximum 32 roll character may end up with 1 hit point (or be low on magic points).

Still it beats Wiz7 where you could spend 600 hours rolling your troupe of Faerie Ninjas (being too prestigious to use a char editor).

Alas, there is only one cane of corpus. Dear boy, you have lost your precious 600 hours !

mwnn85

Savant

I only spent about 5 minutes to roll a party in Wizardry 6 :smug:

I have seen some strange characters created in Grimoire.
Even with rolling exactly the same types of characters.
Personally I'd prefer something a bit more uniform or consistent.

I would've thought that each race has a minimum number of dice they roll for hitpoints, mana etc which is further adjusted depending on class taken.
But that's just me speculating - I don't know how it works with Grimoire.

You would expect a fighter to naturally have more health and less mana than a squishy mage.
But I'm not Cleveland Mark Blakemore!

I must admit to playing ToEE / KoTC with max hp on - hate ending up with gimps.

Last edited:

Kayerts

Arcane
Yeah, because "what Cleve said" is set in stone and absolutely going to happen! FFS
Yes.
The only unpredictable thing are mysterious ways of Neanderthal clockwork colliding with deadlines perceived by saps.

The Neanderthals taught that deadlines issued out of the heart of a marvelous clock, a clock they called the "Metronome Mysterium," the Clock of Fate.

The clock was said to be under the care of the Fannypacked Exemplar, the titanium-boned developer who serves as the emissary of greater powers in the universe.

It was believed that in the far ago age of the 90s, the Fannypacked Exemplar had moved the deadlines a great distance across time, in order to restore balance to the world and prevent it from crashing out of existence.

Nobody has seen the clock, nor has any sap ever deciphered the meaning of the deadlines that come to us. The clock was whispered to lie somewhere beyond next Friday, marking off releases and manuals and keeping them from the realms of men.

It was also taught by the prophets that someday at the end of time, the clock would wind down. As the clock would slow and finally stop, Grimoire would be released.

Rpgsaurus Rex

So now that time has passed, how are you guys finding the game? I still don't have it so I was just wondering.

The sheer fact we now discuss this game more than Pillars of Eternity speaks for its self....

Is that a good thing or a bad? I wanted to know if the game lived up to the hype and such.

Cleveland rode the wave of hype at its peak to make a quick buck, and succeeded. 5k+ sales at $40 (minus Steam's cut and taxes) is good money for such low effort, considering the game has been out there in some shape or form since the late 1990s. Could have easily hit 10k+ (or even much more - there's been a lot of interest all around the world that died out after the post-release broken saves / lack of balance fiasco) if he spent time balancing stuff, making stuff work and patching out bugs before release - that is, assuming he is as good at programming as he claims himself to be, which all evidence points to the contrary.

In any case, you can try the superdemo or ride the high seas (there is no DRM) and decide if $40 is worth it or not. There are a couple of people here who seem to genuinely enjoy it, though their arguments inevitably end up referencing their nostalgia for Wiz7 (a far superior game in every way).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It should be noted that in spite of certain staff members' axe to grind, a majority of Grimoire players on the Codex considers Grimoire the best RPG of all time or on par with the best http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/poll-does-the-hivemind-enjoy-grimoire.117662/

I'm sure those numbers will shrink as the honeymoon period ends, but I believe it will continue to hold its majority, or at worst, a plurality.

And no, he shouldn't have released it in Early Access, for the game is feature complete.

Eh, features did have to be cut in order for it to be released (crafting, custom portraits), but they'll be added later in Grimoire: Enhanced Edition/Director's Cut. A bit like free DLC.

Weasel
IQ test integration pushed back to V3

CYNz657.png

Lord Andre

Arcane
Drow looks like a good spellcasters from the picture but from what I've read they're completely crappy.
And we (allegedly) can't class change until the game is virtually over.
:negative:

Drow are the gimps of grimoire. Even humans can be useful but drow suck at everything. Literally the worst race. It's ironic that ingame they basically rule the whole world with their empire.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Drow looks like a good spellcasters from the picture but from what I've read they're completely crappy.
And we (allegedly) can't class change until the game is virtually over.

Drow are the gimps of grimoire. Even humans can be useful but drow suck at everything. Literally the worst race. It's ironic that ingame they basically rule the whole world with their empire.

Even more ironic is that I have one in my party. :mixedemotions:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
When I think about the level of late '80 - first '90 creativity I am always reminded of a true classic:
trexf14.jpg
This is fucking cool, imo. Limiting oneself because it "breaks reality" is stupid as fuck.

It's not that that Hobbes is rolling his eyes over, but Calvin's tendency to randomly alter shit on the fly that left it a disjointed, chaotic mess. You try to make a game, or any activity to get people involved and interested in, making rapid right angle turns to what is established s is not the way to maintain their immersion. All games have rules, everything people do are games when they are distilled down enough and it's for that reason that we despise real chaos in life. It has no rules and changes too quickly to establish any. If you think you don't like rules, all you really dislike are overly restrictive ones that inhibit any changes to established patterns, not the essence of rules themselves.

This is encapsulated in any comic where Calvin tries to play with someone other than Hobbes, like Susie, where just as Susie is getting into what has been established as their game, Calvin changes the rules turning things upside down and eventually pissing her off enough she refuses to keep playing with him.

iu

iu

iu

Even then Calvin is playing by rules, but ones that only allow him to play by himself either due to their chaotic nature or antisocial bent, which is why he has Hobbes around, despite Hobbes' more mature, jaded and orderly outlook.

iu

The problem here isn't when stuff "breaks reality" but when massive, dramatic and unforeshadowed changes happen in a medium. With regard to Grimoire that would be it suddenly becoming overly serious about the lore or doing anything that would violate the rules Cleve established in the game that form its tone.

It is why drops in the quality of games are so apparent and hated. People expect the quality to be maintained and would be fine with a game being of lower quality all the way through than one being of good quality at first, then having empty areas or a rushed plot after an arbitrary moment that reveal when develop got rushed to completion.

I find Hobbes calling their little play session stupid amusing in retrospect though. So many of the comics involve him playing Calvinball with Calvin, which is a game where the only rule is rules are made up on the fly, second to second that leaves anyone watching them play it look like absolute nonsense.

"No rules": Game has to have rules, since it's code executed by a machine. There's literally nothing happening that isn't following rules written down (even if they were not as intended they were still left in (bugs/exploits are still rules)).

Games have rules because they're made by living beings. Even animals establish rules, like rats and dogs when they play, where if a dominant animal wins over and over ceaselessly the weaker one will won't play with them anymore since they're sick of never having a chance.

It's actually not. There are plenty of 25+ years old movies that are worth watching today, even thought the technology today is far more advanced. There are 25+ years old games that are worth playing today, and there are games that are not. Trying to find out which are which is by no means pointless.

I'm reminded of my cousins kids who were skeptical of watching Alien when it came my pick of movies and then spent the entire time captivated by it in a way all their modern day choices never did with them as they dicked on their phones.

As much as what Mondblut is true, it is missing a crucial point and it is that which makes sometime timeless.

Hardly anything changed in movies for the past 25 years. Games from 25 years ago are matching Interbellum cinema if you insist on making the comparison. When they just got sound and some even shaken the world with Technicolor.

What of beyond that?

CGI is so universal today special effects that aren't it are unfathomable to younger people who seem to assume anything older that doesn't use it is immediately crap, but amazed when it's convincing in a way most CGI isn't, given that subtle way humans are able to sense when something isn't really there that oddly makes a man in a suit scarier than better made CGI monster.

Also, yes there are Interbellum movies still worth watching today.

It also helps watching them to see that people back then faced the same problems,pondered the same things, had the same fears and imagined things much like ourselves, and just as profound as well as silly.

It's an odd thing that as much as you may try to remind yourself of all of that, seeing people now all dead on a show dealing with such stuff hits you in a way even a book doesn't and is the ultimate gift of film and TV.
The way I see it, it's two different situations: in the case of Calvinball, they are actively playing, albeit with the 'no rules' rule or with the 'any rule made on the spot is valid rule'. In the other cases, they are playing pretend, and actually trying to create a story. And another of Calvin's big problems, apart from as you said rules and social behaviour, is his complete inability to create a story that is not a collage of anything goes/throw things at the wall and see what sticks/lolrandom elements (to the point that even Hobbes has a problems with that).

To me, a good chunk of Patterson's genius is the thin red line he constantly treads, where the incredibly stupid/insensate things Calvin says or does begin to appear as something more than that ONLY if you buy into his constant yapping about how he's a genius/he's stupendous/he's so clever that nobody understands him, and thus enter a circle where the notion that Calvin might be a genius etc. makes a series of elements that are sufficiently ambiguous appear under a different light. I have the feeling that Patterson is well aware what an incredibly cheap trick is to constantly claim that you are a genius so that the most gullible part of the public starts to interpret every retarded bit of content you spout under that assumption, and constantly lampshades it with Calvin as the main focus (and Hobbes as the critical perspective, of course).

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
To me, a good chunk of Patterson's genius is the thin red line he constantly treads, where the incredibly stupid/insensate things Calvin says or does begin to appear as something more than that ONLY if you buy into his constant yapping about how he's a genius/he's stupendous/he's so clever that nobody understands him, and thus enter a circle where the notion that Calvin might be a genius etc. makes a series of elements that are sufficiently ambiguous appear under a different light.

You do know that Cleve was the original inspiration for Calvin, right? Watterson barely even changed the name.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
To me, a good chunk of Patterson's genius is the thin red line he constantly treads, where the incredibly stupid/insensate things Calvin says or does begin to appear as something more than that ONLY if you buy into his constant yapping about how he's a genius/he's stupendous/he's so clever that nobody understands him, and thus enter a circle where the notion that Calvin might be a genius etc. makes a series of elements that are sufficiently ambiguous appear under a different light.

You do know that Cleve was the original inspiration for Calvin, right? Watterson barely even changed the name.
I would have no trouble believing it, especially if Cleve says so (Watterson's own claim on the issue would be irrelevant to me).

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Someone says 'everyone agrees' the opening of the game is the best of the year. I point out that this is not correct, and you tell us that he is consistent with patches. I see.

Obviously your reading comprehension is lacking if you can't figure out which part of your retarded post I was responding to.

k0syak

Cipher

Alas, there is only one cane of corpus. Dear boy, you have lost your precious 600 hours !

Unless you kill Blienmeis outside and then inside the guild :incline:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
In retrospect I guess I should have cast locate item. :M

You don't have it up all the time?

Back then I didn't. I only realised how good it is (at max power) when mondblut pointed out in the hints thread I could have used it to find another quest item I was missing.

Although, to be quite honest, I had more fun exploring the levels before I started abusing that spell. Maybe it would be better if it didn't leave the whole level revealed in your automap...

mwnn85

Savant
Gone a bit quiet around here. Completely unacceptable.
5K copies according to Steamspy and rising. Even if grossly inaccurate, whichever way you choose to look at it - the only way is up!
A toolset release would be nice if such things exist.
Imagine a redux of Wizardry 6 running on the Grimoire engine?
+M:dance:

Calling for a sooper seekret Clevius Procrastinus alternate reality / dream sequence boss fight.
Victory is next to impossible.
Can cast spells from any spellbook. Unarmed mastery, Iron Hands and Lethal Blow.
Mental immunity.
Casts greatly empowered spells such as Deflection Screen, Shrill Sound and Crushing Hand.
Possible weakness to Baldercake and Oatmeal Cookies.

:mrpresident:

A bit of number crunching. I'm assuming:
> Australian state retirement age increases to 67+ by 2023. Absurd really. I think they'll abolish such things in the near future.
> Cleve is currently 54 (?)
> Cleve will continue working on Grimoire part time until retired whilst working on CD-OS, plus posting about potato farming and other matters of great importance on Quora and Vault Co.
> 5 years of full time work on Grimoire post retirement.

67 - 54 (?) = 13 years
2017 + 13 = 2030 = Grimoire v2
2030 + 5 = 2035 = Grimoire v3 aka Grimoire Directors Cut Enhanced Edition.

...neanderthals do get to retire don't they?

And one more terrible calculation.
2035 - 1985 = 50

Last edited:

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Sad news friends. Looks like the spike in sales that pushed Grimoire over the 5k mark was not to be.

https://steamspy.com/app/650670

Grimore now has approx 3700 or so sales according to the chart. Of course it could be more given thier wide range.

Not sure if we have access to advanced metrics but I would be curious if it is another group of users who did a "weekend trial" to play the game and/or update it to play free.

I can't really see how code resellers from Russia and other places could gain access to the keys, especially since Cleve has been so parsimonious with them. But cannot discount a large batch of games was purchased and did not go through or the purchase was terminated.

Either way hope this does not deter anyone from buying this great game and for those who cannot afford it, I'll will work on a good giveaway that is weighted towards the Codex.

mondblut

Arcane

Two, actually. If you kill the guy outside when you meet him first, you loot the cane. Then he doesn't open his abode for you, but you can break the door or pick the look if you are good enough - and kill him the second time for another cane.

mondblut

Arcane
And no, he shouldn't have released it in Early Access, for the game is feature complete. Bloodlines, Fallout 2 or Arcanum were also buggy and unbalanced at release for god's sake!

Not to mention, Early Access is cancer and pandering to entitled fanboys who think they know better than the dev how the game should play.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Sad news friends. Looks like the spike in sales that pushed Grimoire over the 5k mark was not to be.
SteamSpy is just wild estimates based on sparse data. Expect it to fluctuate wildly every time they get one more piece of random data.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom