Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Mechs Delight

Educated
Cavalorn released a new mission, Vault Chronicles, yesterday. The story is about a post apocalyptic Thief universe, where everyone has been forced to take shelter in underground vaults. The whole level takes place in one such vault, where Garrett has taken residence. I found it a bit too simplistic, the architecture is a bit too plain and flat and the enemy placement is not much better. The post apocalytpic theme is built upon but is not taken anywhere interesting, and it just ends up feeling like the usual cave/mine complex with some living quarters, kind of like an over domesticated Craigscleft style level. The readables were passable, but again, nothing special.

I would give it a 6/10. Enjoyable, but nothing outstanding.

I'm going to have to agree with this review by and large. The idea is very interesting, but it's not taken nearly as far as it could have been.

I'm really hoping "Death's Cold Embrace" makes up for this recent glut of lackluster missions. "Rebellion of the Builder 2" and "Raven Creek" were both big letdowns (especially "Rebellion," which too often felt like cheese for its own sake).

(By the way, good to see you around, Dev_Anj!)

- Mechs Delight

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Christine's Raven Creek, and it's definitely one of the most visually pleasing missions I've played. It's one of the most typical "Christine-style" missions in her portfolio, with all the custom objects and beautiful interior decoration.

Overall, it's very similar to Pirates Ahoy mission 1. Very beautiful, much to explore, but there is little verticality gameplay-wise. You get rope arrows but what for? There are no windows to climb into, no rooftops to walk over, every building is accessed from the ground floor. Same as it was in Pirates Ahoy M1.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Overall, it's very similar to Pirates Ahoy mission 1. Very beautiful, much to explore, but there is little verticality gameplay-wise. You get rope arrows but what for? There are no windows to climb into, no rooftops to walk over, every building is accessed from the ground floor. Same as it was in Pirates Ahoy M1.

While playing through Raven Creek I found exactly one (1) Rope Arrow, and that was in Mission 3, where it's needed to complete one of the objectives.

There's actually a location in Mission 2 where I could use a Rope Arrow, but didn't have one. Did you find one there?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks good, but Christ, Photobucket is a pain.

Trying to look at those screenshots without a glaring bright background to ruin it, is impossible because of their stupid site.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

While playing through Raven Creek I found exactly one (1) Rope Arrow, and that was in Mission 3, where it's needed to complete one of the objectives.

There's actually a location in Mission 2 where I could use a Rope Arrow, but didn't have one. Did you find one there?

Yeah, I had a rope arrow in the second mission, but I don't remember where I found it. It was in some chest somewhere.

marbleman

Educated
The downwinder special made my day, Max :D

Looks terrific! I like the use of colored lighting in the screenshots.

Squadafroinx

Novice
ASdM19y.png

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
DrKubiac Reading the last few pages of this thread reminded me of A Better Tomorrow, and I'm now replaying it.

Hats off to you, sir: the dark, dirty, and cramped style of your missions is brilliant and you are truly a master of your craft. After this, I think I'll replay your Rocksbourg series too!

:salute:

czys

Novice
Hi everybody!

Some time ago I made a map for Dustforce with a friend inspired by Thief games, and upon finding this thread I thought you might be interested in seeing how it turned out.

(the audio may be low for you)

Here's a video showing my run of it, and if you happen to own Dustforce there's a link in the description to the map.
It was mostly inspired by Thief Gold and Endless Rain by skacky.

I hope you don't mind the off-topic nature of this post and enjoy the video ;)

DrKubiac

Educated
Thanks a lot!
The first Rocksbourg missions didn't age well though, it's gonna be very rough.

Btw, the first part of Rocksbourg 0 should be ready by the end of the year, hopefully. The mission itself is almost complete, I just have to do a couple things like the briefing video, configure objectives and a few scripts. Then betatest of course.
Still some work to do, but we should be able to make it in the next 4 months.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Thanks a lot!
The first Rocksbourg missions didn't age well though, it's gonna be very rough.

Btw, the first part of Rocksbourg 0 should be ready by the end of the year, hopefully. The mission itself is almost complete, I just have to do a couple things like the briefing video, configure objectives and a few scripts. Then betatest of course.
Still some work to do, but we should be able to make it in the next 4 months.
I wish I could brofist this multiple times. I have more fun playing Thief missions than any of the generic crap released by our friendly neighborhood megacorps.

:decline:

Hines

Savant
Yandros, can you share any updates on Death's Cold Embrace? The video you released in January was gorgeous!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom