Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Well, he said that DOS:2 is what BG:2 was to BG:1...
Shit.

I had really high hopes for D:OS2.

:negative:

I find it weird that you can be an asshole in a game where the story moves the game forward. I mean if I would be playing with a couple of friends and one of the keep doing stupid things he would get kicked eventually. Not sure I see the future in this kind of co-op. Maybe for some light hearted shit and giggles.

I mean, have you ever played tabletop games?

Players are assholes and undermine each other constantly, screwing each other over in the most horrible ways.

In the Curse of Strhad campaign that was released for the 5e, our party was in Strahd's Castle, at the end of the campaign. Strahd made an offer to give whichever one of us betrayed the rest of the party great power in Ravenloft. We got into the final battle in Strahd's tomb and then our necromantic wizard backstabbed me (the cleric) with Finger of Death, killing me outright and giving Strahd the opening he needed to destroy the entire party. This was after almost five months and 20-30 role playing sessions of working together
I just started playing D&D 3.5 with a veteran DM, a group of complete noobs, and myself, who is an avid PnP player but technically have never played PnP D&D.

First session, I, as a primarily pacifistic cleric of Lathander ended up stabbing the party sorcerer in the back (quite literally), as he was behaving in an unacceptable manner and I saw no other recourse to save what my character was convinced was an innocent woman (because the player did not have the presence of mind to actually have the character tell us of his suspicions after detecting magic). Another player, a soulknife, tried to assist me, and ended up doing over 15 damage in a single strike.

To an already-wounded lvl 1 sorcerer.

Needless to say, his sternum pretty much exploded and his intestines poured out of his now opened ribcage.

And in my last game before then, we ended up dumping another player in a the river canals of renaissance not!-Amsterdam, and after I ended up saving his life one of the other players turned him into the not!-Inquisition. The rest of us still wonder where he went.

I mean, as long as it's actual roleplaying, and I'm not sure if fucking things up in D:OS2 will actually offer the real opportunities or proper circumstances, some of the most hilarious situations in PnP history have come from people purposefully or inadvertently fucking eachother over irrevocably.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
If this ends up being better than D:OS without the decline of EE I will REALLY regret not backing the kickstarter when I had the chance.

There is pretty much no way this won't be better than D:OS. They had the established engine at the beginning of this, and openly recognized the short-comings of the original. D:OS was probably my favorite of the wave of kickstarter projects, but I recognize it had it's fair share of flaws. I am very optimistic about D:OS II.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
If this ends up being better than D:OS without the decline of EE I will REALLY regret not backing the kickstarter when I had the chance.

There is pretty much no way this won't be better than D:OS. They had the established engine at the beginning of this, and openly recognized the short-comings of the original. D:OS was probably my favorite of the wave of kickstarter projects, but I recognize it had it's fair share of flaws. I am very optimistic about D:OS II.
I was this close to backing when the kickstarter was going on but didn't because of my experience with EE.

I am a dumbfuck!

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
I was this close to backing when the kickstarter was going on but didn't because of my experience with EE.

I only messed around with EE a bit because I had finished the initial version a few months after release. There were some poor UI choices that rubbed me the wrong way, but I found a lot of the other small things gameplay-wise that I noticed were good improvements. I can see how it could be a turn off, though.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Holy shit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1971818

Kickstarter Update #42 - Let there be voice!

You stroll into the marketplace, a basket on your arm, ready to indulge in the day’s finest. Your mind roars and your mouth waters, but an odd silence surrounds you. Where you once expected cries of ‘halibut!’ and ‘sheep's’ cheese!’ you now hear… nothing.
The silence intensifies. You want a wheel of the good stuff, but you can’t tell where to turn. You know full well you have an eye for fine potatoes, but how can you find the vendor without her characteristic cry?

Silence. It closes in around you.

Silence. Its weight bears down upon you.

S I L E N C E .

Scary, isn’t it?

Welcome to Kickstarter Update #42!

Okay, so remember an age ago when we said we couldn’t do voiceovers for Divinity: Original Sin 2? Well, we changed our mind! We changed our mind and we aren’t sorry! Muahaha!

Well.

Sort of.

About halfway through production, we realized just how big this game was getting. We thought there would be no way, either time or budget-wise, to voice it all. So we started small, hoping to improve the soundscape by voicing some one-liners and voice barks. But it just didn’t feel right. We wanted to hear our beloved characters talk. Really talk. So we crunched some numbers, poured some coffee and decided:

Oh heck, why not. Let's fully voice Divinity: Original Sin 2!

Here’s Swen hanging out in the sound dungeon for the full scoop.

Listen Up!

With over a thousand NPCs and a million words to deal with a full voiceover for DOS2 was no easy task! It involved 4 studios working non-stop butt we were up for the challenge. (Fun fact: This challenge involved spending a lot of tender evenings getting our repeat-frequency juuust right. Whenever an NPC is spamming one line too often, they were said to be ‘cheese vendoring’.)

f56b5fbba229521d935f1d93bec8e614_original.jpg

Anybody who's played a Divinity game before knows how important Music to us and we are really proud of what Bobby and his team achieved. Our composer Bobby has been hard at work recording an orchestral musical score in Budapest, Hungary and the results are fantastic. He also had the orchestra record one of Kirill's most memorable pieces, the "Power of Innocence".

7cd79956d17d33b4731c2dd1436cb92f_original.jpg

Thursday of the Living Dead

Next week we will have more information about the Undead, including what they have to do with Swen’s sweet shirt! Why the delay?

755891566fe70479d6b92247aab81646_original.jpg

Well, we we’re showing off the undead to the journalists at Gamescom and they now need some time to write about it! As soon as the embargo lifts next week, you’ll know all about the playable race you’ve been dying (heh heh) to hear about! Yes, we know you don't like to wait but it'll be worth it.

That’s Not All!

Next week we’ll also share information about the Collector’s Edition and the hoodies, and we'll host a new devline livestream next Thursday the 31st of August! We can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on. So stay tuned and be sure to keep an eye on Twitter and Facebook for more goodies in the meantime.

6e2231ca9fe79626f0c1c3d71aa0c078_original.jpg

Your Beautiful Face

For those that backed at the Portrait level in our Kickstarter: your faces are in our places! Here’s a little sneak peek at the in-game portraits created in your likeness.

And in case you missed it…!

We recently released a spotlight showcasing the magical world of multiplayer. Check it out to find out why two of our developers are no longer on speaking terms and get some inspiration for some of the wholesome/wicked fun you can have with your friends.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
EEEwwwww, VO. Oh, well, I won't notice it that much while I'm hammering the skip button. Also, a million words? That's insane, an average novel is around 40k to at most 100k, so D:OS2 contains 10-20 novels worth of text? Prepare yourself for Numanuma levels of pointless purple prose and disjointed ideas.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:thumbsup:

Fully voiced is quite the achievement to be honest. This was the last thing "holding" D:OS back from even more sales last time. A lot of non-RPGers were put-off by the frequent text reading and dialogs

Last edited:

Heinrich

Scholar
EEEwwwww, VO. Oh, well, I won't notice it that much while I'm hammering the skip button. Also, a million words? That's insane, an average novel is around 40k to at most 100k, so D:OS2 contains 10-20 novels worth of text? Prepare yourself for Numanuma levels of pointless purple prose and disjointed ideas.
The difference being that this game is likely going to be at least five times bigger than numenera, and has actual c&c. All those dialogue trees obviously need words.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I don't see any reason it's decline unless they voiced player answers too. Because then they'd have to seriously limit our options

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Well if it still has a million lines I don't think they sacrificed anything. Enhancing the gameplay probably not but the experience as a whole? I dunno, I guess Im a Sven fanboy, I trust him to deliver

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom