Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Viata

Arcane
ePMIPTL.png

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Marketing (or at least, great social media skills) was what made Notch $2 billion with a stupid, very low-res blocks/voxels game (Minecraft). In a few years time.

And I think he was pushing it when he wanted $10 at the start.
Minecraft is great because no other game like it existed at the time. It was the kind of game everybody wanted as a kid but a game like it never existed.

Mods like IndustrialCraft2 and Thaumcraft make it just amazing.
Yes, it was a new concept. It was something Notch could make without fancy graphics. Thousands of such games are made each year, most of which you and everyone else never heard anything about.

It did everything which every AAA producer will tell you is absolutely a no-no. And, yes, it introduced one mechanic which could have been nice if it was further developed in any way.

That sounds like a very doomed project.

The again, as salesmen like to say: a good salesman can sell even shit for a premium.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Also. As a comparison.

The washing machines that get the most complaints are the ones from Miele, because they are the most expensive by far and they advertise that they are the best. And they very likely are.

That's why people become really upset when they break down. "I spend all this money, and it doesn't even work!"

On the other hand, there is Indesit. It is what you buy when you want something cheap and expect it to break down in two years time. And, when it does, people don't complain. It was what they expected.

Even more so, there are quite a lot of people who say: "I bought an Indesit five years ago, and it still works! They're great!"

Weasel
The more I read about the next update the more significant it seems. Cleve, have you given any further thought to doing an opt-in test for it on Steam first? Other companies do this all the time, like HBS with Battletech at the moment or VD's team with AoD. People tend to be far more accepting of stuff breaking if they've chosen to try the patch in beta than if it just gets pushed out to them.

What impact will all these changes have on existing saved games, wouldn't this be a good thing to get a few volunteers to check?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
The more I read about the next update the more significant it seems. Cleve, have you given any further thought to doing an opt-in test for it on Steam first? Other companies do this all the time, like HBS with Battletech at the moment or VD's team with AoD. People tend to be far more accepting of stuff breaking if they're chosen to try the patch in beta than if it just gets pushed out to them.

What impact will all these changes have on existing saved games, wouldn't this be a good thing to get a few volunteers to check?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore this seems like a good question, since the current version feels to me like the game is currently in a good, stable place (minus the major changes that V2 would bring).

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Marketing (or at least, great social media skills) was what made Notch $2 billion with a stupid, very low-res blocks/voxels game (Minecraft). In a few years time.

And I think he was pushing it when he wanted $10 at the start.
Minecraft is great because no other game like it existed at the time. It was the kind of game everybody wanted as a kid but a game like it never existed.

Mods like IndustrialCraft2 and Thaumcraft make it just amazing.
Yes, it was a new concept. It was something Notch could make without fancy graphics. Thousands of such games are made each year, most of which you and everyone else never heard anything about.

It did everything which every AAA producer will tell you is absolutely a no-no. And, yes, it introduced one mechanic which could have been nice if it was further developed in any way.

That sounds like a very doomed project.

The again, as salesmen like to say: a good salesman can sell even shit for a premium.

Notch copied it from a group that specialized in making innovative games. They didn't make a dime of it, because you can't patent game mechanics.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Cleve knows that once he puts the manual out everything written there will be tested, I mean right now if CON does not give you more HP or STR does not add to your damage we don't think it's a bug, but if the manual says something and it does not work that way it is a bug. So I think he is actually verifying that everything he writes actually work that way and fixes it if not and that's why we get the manual + a huge update to the game.

Biggus

Scholar
I think Cleve knows that once he puts the manual out everything written there will be tested, I mean right now if CON does not give you more HP or STR does not add to your damage we don't think it's a bug, but if the manual says something and it does not work that way it is a bug. So I think he is actually verifying that everything he writes actually work that way and fixes it if not and that's why we get the manual + a huge update to the game.

Which is what I said a while back.
Which is probably also why we won't see it for a while.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 3 minutes ago
If you have played Grimoire and are still waiting for the manual, please give it a review. A collective of SJW activists have been colluding on another board in rage at the fact that people are enjoying Grimoire. They keep sending people over here to buy it, play it ten minutes and write a bad review of it. It would only take a few right now to push us back to "Mostly Positive" until the manual and latest update comes out and puts us into "Astronomically Positive."

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Cleve most of your target audience or any sane person probably does not give a ff about steam reviews.

Agreed though that those buying and immediately refunding it only to add a negative review should probably be removed from the gene pool by fire.

Weasel
Agreed, better to just ignore the rating, get the game in the best shape possible and things will take care of themselves. Grimoire has got a better rating right now than many expected anyway. Activity will naturally die down on the "lol Grimoire is never coming out" threads on other forums as time goes on, quick look at BF shows the last thing that got them excited was the Codex review:

RSFuwmO.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom