Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
From the believe of the codex the omnipotent god was born!
ELEX LO VULT!!!

v1rus

Arcane
Cmon Elex, be good, pls. Just pls. I really need a good PB game in my life now.
Decent will do the job to.

Well, judging by current industry parameters, anything "decent" is easily game of the year. W3, which is prolly the best game in last 10 years, would be far less praised and successful if there was anything on remotely same level as it :/

As such, yeah a decent game would be fucking god damn good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Well, judging by current industry parameters, anything "decent" is easily game of the year. W3, which is prolly the best game in last 10 years, would be far less praised and successful if there was anything on remotely same level as it :/

Well the Witcher 3 have some shitty gameplay outside of gwent,but its level design and writing is top notch.Novigrad and the city from Blood and wine are amazingly well crafted and lively.

v1rus

Arcane

Well the Witcher 3 have some shitty gameplay outside of gwent,but its level design and writing is top notch.Novigrad and the city from Blood and wine are amazingly well crafted and lively.

Exactly. A game with shit game play (literally, shit game play) is the best game in last 10 years. Thats how bad things are.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Exactly. A game with shit game play (literally, shit game play) is the best game in last 10 years. Thats how bad things are.
Well you could argue that most loved rpgs on the codex have/had shitty game play.In Torment the combat was shit,in Vampire it wasn't much better,Arcanum was pretty bugy and broken,Morrowind have diceroll combat.I would say that when it comes to RPGs,the gameplay is the thing that could ignored if the rest worth playing.

Kitchen Utensil

Only retards think Witcher 3 is the best game in 10 years.

ortucis

Prophet

It's an open world game with typical open world environments you've seen from Oblivion to Gothic.. only with better graphics and more population than said games. I enjoyed the game (I haven't played the DLC yet, maybe in a few years when I replay) but there was absolutely NOTHING in the levels that stood out.

Please post screenshots of this ground-breaking level design from Witcher 3, which the fans keep praising.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Please post screenshots of this ground-breaking level design from Witcher 3, which the fans keep praising.
Not really in the open landscape, but the cities I found much better designed than cities in most other comparable games. They just really seemed... natural. The way the houses were not simply placed next to each other, paths are not straight but narrow and crooked. And of course the larger population going about their business (which IS part of the level design as that is more than just geometry).

Of course, once ELEX is out, I will cancel all of my citicenships and simply live the rest of my life LARPing a citizen of the dome.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It's an open world game with typical open world environments you've seen from Oblivion to Gothic.. only with better graphics and more population than said games. I enjoyed the game (I haven't played the DLC yet, maybe in a few years when I replay) but there was absolutely NOTHING in the levels that stood out.

Please post screenshots of this ground-breaking level design from Witcher 3, which the fans keep praising.[/QUOTE]
You should try the dlcs,they are really good and well written.Also each dlc is big as most games released that year.The city design is amazing mate.They feel real and natural.You could even go inside most if not all the houses.Now if you just run from quest marker to quest marker,that is your problem.The vampire cave from Blood and wine is very cool.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I don't think there was a better designed city than Novigrad in any game ever released up until this point. It's not even an exaggeration. That shit was tight.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't think there was better designed city than Novigrad in any game ever released up until this point. It's not even an exaggeration. That shit was tight.
You should see the city in Blood and wine,if you haven't.It is amazing that it is a 20 bucks dlc,while lazy dev like paradox are pumping up shitty events for the same price.

ortucis

Prophet
I spent a lot of time admiring the detail of small villages in Witcher 3, which I actually think looked nice compared to shit in Skyrim. But games like Gothic 2/3 already did the small villages right (with lower quality graphics) so it isn't something new.

That said, all big cities weren't really interesting to me personally (design-wise). Didn't come across any location inside of them which stood out compared to the exteriors.

In-fact, still can't recall a single location that stood out in the whole game. I can recall most locations from Fallout: New Vegas even, in comparison. Mostly because in New Vegas, every location has a unique landmark that stands out (which was done intentionally).

Anyway, will replay Witcher 3 for DLC in a year or two. Finished the vanilla game and all side-quests so can't be arsed to install the game just for a single DLC.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I'll do you one better.

The developer didn't have to do that, but it shows the environment is designed to consider how people and monsters live day to day. A few huts does not make a town. How do the residents eat? Where do they get water? How about education? Entertainment? What sort of trade do they survive on? The Witcher 3 answers these questions through visual details, many of which the player is never directly confronted with.

v1rus

Arcane

And which one would be according to the non-retards?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

ELEX!

Kitchen Utensil

That's up for debate. But Witcher 3's shitty gameplay, itemisation and otherwise terrible rpg-systems really make everyone look retarded who even considers it a good game, let alone best of a decade. Nice graphics, hours of cutscenes and one or two interesting quest lines don't make a good game.

v1rus

Arcane

That's up for debate. But Witcher 3's shitty gameplay, itemisation and otherwise terrible rpg-systems really make everyone look retarded who even considers it a good game, let alone best of a decade. Nice graphics, hours of cutscenes and one or two interesting quest lines don't make a good game.

Well, lets debate. Which one? Not saying W3 is a masterpiece, far from it, but its better than anything industry has spat out in last 10 years. Dark Souls being only series worthy of competition, suffering from the inverse set of problems - brilliant design and game play, lackluster plot. Or rather, mini-plot filled with plot holes. Not that I mind the mini-plot model, especially not in Dark Souls, but creating a classical archplot takes up way more resources, time and skill, thus I usually weigh both the best DS game (w/e you agree is the best) and W3 on the same level.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Ok tell us o unretarded person,what is the best rpg past 10 years!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom