Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Dark Souls might have an interesting combat system, but as a game, it not really a full scale RPG. It's more akin to Diablo, just a constant combat crawl with some barebones story and exploration sprinkled in between. For the same reason I wouldn't bring up Diablo when discussing full-on RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout, I wouldn't really bring up Dark Souls in this conversation.

Dark Souls 1 is absolutely a full scale RPG with the best action combat ever devised, fantastic itemization, wonderful open, interconnected world, rich lore and even NPCs and quests, although a bit non-traditional. I also used to think DS is only a glorified action-RPG lite until I actually played it last year. I can see you're still in the first stage.

I am a huge Gothic 1/2 fan, these are two of my all-time favorites, but common. Gothic 3 is a joke. Risen 1 was a decent game, but it's basically an inferior rip-off of early Gothics, so while I enjoyed it, I can't hold it up as a great game. Dragon's Dogma is also a combat heavy game that doesn't belong in the same conversation.

Gothic 3 is not a joke, it's one of the best RPGs ever made in my book. It's quite a bit different than G 1/2 but equally good. Have you played it with all the community patches and mods? Because the modders turned a torso of a great game into an actual great game. And Dragon's Dogma absolutely does belong in the same conversation, it's a proper, full blooded, open-world RPG.

Dude, you can't just arbitrarily remove from the "conversation" all the games that don't fit your argument :lol: Especially if you haven't really played them, which is quite clear from your comments.

I did actually play Dark Souls (and Gothic 3). Had trouble getting far into it though, the constant dungeon crawling and combat tend to bore me pretty quickly.

Kitchen Utensil

Dark Souls might have an interesting combat system, but as a game, it not really a full scale RPG. It's more akin to Diablo, just a constant combat crawl with some barebones story and exploration sprinkled in between. For the same reason I wouldn't bring up Diablo when discussing full-on RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout, I wouldn't really bring up Dark Souls in this conversation.

Dark Souls 1 is absolutely a full scale RPG with the best action combat ever devised, fantastic itemization, wonderful open, interconnected world, rich lore and even NPCs and quests, although a bit non-traditional. I also used to think DS is only a glorified action-RPG lite until I actually played it last year. I can see you're still in the first stage.

I am a huge Gothic 1/2 fan, these are two of my all-time favorites, but common. Gothic 3 is a joke. Risen 1 was a decent game, but it's basically an inferior rip-off of early Gothics, so while I enjoyed it, I can't hold it up as a great game. Dragon's Dogma is also a combat heavy game that doesn't belong in the same conversation.

Gothic 3 is not a joke, it's one of the best RPGs ever made in my book. It's quite a bit different than G 1/2 but equally good. Have you played it with all the community patches and mods? Because the modders turned a torso of a great game into an actual great game. And Dragon's Dogma absolutely does belong in the same conversation, it's a proper, full blooded, open-world RPG.

Dude, you can't just arbitrarily remove from the "conversation" all the games that don't fit your argument :lol: Especially if you haven't really played them, which is quite clear from your comments.

I did actually play Dark Souls (and Gothic 3). Had trouble getting far into it though, the constant dungeon crawling and combat tend to bore me pretty quickly.

Ah, so you don't like gameplay, that's why you like the Witcher. Starts to make sense. :smug:

Ah, so you don't like gameplay, that's why you like the Witcher. Starts to make sense. :smug:

I don't like that kind of gameplay. Constant fighting and obstacle navigation.

Think of it in terms of other entertainment media, a book or a movie with constant endless fights. They would be considered budget level trash. But in games, this is supposed to be considered :obviously:?

No thanks.

Kitchen Utensil

I don't like that kind of gameplay. Constant fighting and obstacle navigation.

Think of it in terms of other entertainment media, a book or a movie with constant endless fights. They would be considered budget level trash. But in games, this is supposed to be considered :obviously:?

No thanks.

I want my entertainment to be engaging. Be it movies, games or books. The difference between those media is the level of activity they demand from the consumer. Because watching a movie is the most passive of those, action often makes them dull. The best way for a movie to be somewhat engaging is to tell an interesting story and offer the viewer different ways to think about it and ideally be open to different interpretations. Few movies accomplish that, and action movies most often don't.

Games on the other hand are an active form of entertainment and they are best when they have good, tight, engaging gameplay. Dark Souls makes you think about the gameplay. It makes you analyse the world, the environment, the enemies and their behaviour, your approach. It's the best kind of action RPG. If you want to, you can immerse yourself in the lore, which is quite interesting and allows for a number of interpretations, way deeper than most stuff in the Witcher.

Witcher on the other hand, when it let's you take control in between those hours and hours of cutscenes, is boredom incarnate. The definition of one-dimensional gameplay with pseudo-choices. There is nothing to think about gameplay-wise, except which of the hundred similar swords in your inventory might be the best. Quest-compass, Witcher-senses and an empty open world filled with copy-pasted enemies everywhere. And the story is so straightforward most of the time that I'd rather watch a mediocre movie instead. Granted, there are parts of the story that are interesting and better than most stories told by other games, but it's not worth it to force yourself through that pile of shit that is Witcher 3's gameplay just to witness a mediocre story by book-standards.

Because compared with a good book, Witcher's story is still utter shit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
First of all there is no game of the decade,it is the most subjective thing in the decade.I am certain that there is some gay out there that thinks Ride to Hell: Retribution is the best game ever.
Second of all ...that amazing gameplay:
W0K3hm4.gif

Witcher 3 gameplay is not as bad as people make out. Sure, the exploration really suffers from quest compass/breadcrumbs, but the combat system is one of the better ones in RPGs (though that might not be saying much). In fact, if you play on Death March, the combat is similar to Dark Souls, though not as tight and polished. The underlying principles though are the same, watch enemy, counter in time (parry, dodge, roll), counter-attack.

Riding your horse is fun, playing Gwent is fun, participating and making choices in dialogue is fun. So if you add all this stuff together, the whole is quite enjoyable for non-edgelords out there.

And I am not buying your argument that games being active excuses the prevalence of endless, pointless combat. It doesn't.

Quillon

Arcane
Combat is repetitive and riding horse is good enough not to become a chore later, maddening at times tho. Agree about the rest.

ortucis

Prophet
The developer didn't have to do that, but it shows the environment is designed to consider how people and monsters live day to day. A few huts does not make a town. How do the residents eat? Where do they get water? How about education? Entertainment? What sort of trade do they survive on? The Witcher 3 answers these questions through visual details, many of which the player is never directly confronted with.

I'm sorry but that isn't "amazing level design". That's just basic level design 101. The reason why you all think this is amazing is majority of fucking developers, like Bethesda, can't even be arsed to create shitters for the residents of their game (except in Fallout, but I'm sure they'll streamline that in Fallout 5 just like they streamlined the RPG elements).

This is attention to detail which should've been common in all games, if the developers weren't lazy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Before and after ELEX

vxhhd8hfn23y.jpg

ELEX makes you black? WTF?
People clearly are misunderstanding,the before was the nigger and after he became a par of the glorious white patriarchy!Don't underestimate the power of ELEX,anyone could become black and pumped in a few years.ELEX can transcend time and space,from a primitive nigger to a glorious banker in a blink of an eye.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They really need to clarify the message in those advertisements, it made me concerned.
Don't worry mate,ELEX is the Merkel's end game.She will force all the refugees to play it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom