Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where will RPGs be in 20 years in the future?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
With current trends in the RPG industry being the way they are, what will RPGs look like 20 years from now? Will incline or decline be more preeminent? Will RPGs even exist then?

laclongquan

Arcane
VR total immersion MMORPG? Live actors for certain events.

3D offline RPG?

An economic game with a working economy? IE a game with lot of spreadsheet data? I am looking at you Academagia, Patrician 3, and etc...

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
-Open world will become default, MMOs will cease to exist or merge with single player

-A lot of procedural generation content.

-Minecraft/Building mechanics in most games

-Quasi-multiplayer features in every game (think Dark Souls.)

-Pure RPG gameplay will disappear. Everything will be action-based or a shooter or some other type of hybrid

-All games will aim to be content delivery platforms. Instead of yearly releases/sequels, you'll play one game for 10 years with new content packs every year

Basically all AAA-level games will merge into one type of mega-action-online-multiplayer-pvp-procedually generated-uber open-world genre. The budgets will be eye-popping and only a few companies will be able to make them. You'll have the Blizzard tolkien-fantasy one, the EA sci-fi one, the Ubisoft assassin's creed/far cry one, etc.

Meanwhile I expect there will still be a thriving sub-A level indie scene with "old school" "hardcore" "niche" RPGs based on Diablo and Deus Ex clones

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
VR total immersion MMORPG? Live actors for certain events.

3D offline RPG?

An economic game with a working economy? IE a game with lot of spreadsheet data? I am looking at you Academagia, Patrician 3, and etc...
Augmented reality will be where future gaming moves.

Everythings going to be a fucking game. You'll wear your google glass style specs while driving down the street and the storefronts will look like castles and palaces and shit and youll walk inside to have dinner and it'll look like you're in an epic underwater fantasy world while the building is actually crumbing to dust because its all an illusion.

Motherfuckers will be hooked up into facebook (the next evolution) where they have stats and ability and shit and it allows them to do shit in the illusion world were all trapped in. They will be catching virtual fish at an illusion lake inside the local mcdonalds and leveling their facebook fishing skill.

People will be taking out loans the size of my mortgage so it makes their car look a spacehip when they wear their google glasses.

We will probably have Sharia law and trannies will using whatever god damned bathroom they wish and well have to buy DLC to retextures trannies and people of color that we just dont want to see - probably a recurring subscription too. real time texturing wont be cheap.

Consent age will be 30.

Chris Roberts will be President of mexico.

Fuck the future.

Mojomancer

Novice
There are two possibilities:

In the future there will be no video game genres, there will only be video games. Genres will be considered outdated and offensive.

Every game will have every game mechanic ever thought of in it so they can appeal to everyone. There will be nothing unique about video games any more.

Everything will be randomly generated and there will be no writers or artists involved just in case they said something edgy in their teens proving undeniably that they are a racist or something.

Or

VR / AR games will be mainstream, every game will play the same. Nothing will be unique and people will still eat it up.

Kickstarters or whatever the 20 years from now equivalent will be to create "retro" experiences like Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Games'll play emsens, there'll be minimal input from player but masses of customisation options. Story mode will be standard, game will be designed to pkease individual player so long as he doesn't want challenge, strategic or tactical aspects, or to make any kind of impact on the story or world hes in. It'll be a fucking larpers paradise.

And there'll probably be more bloody elves.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Entirely made in VR but at the same time incredibly degenerated back to pre-1990 levels. Eye of the Beholder but without those pesky DnD rules, basically.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
VR is a meme that will die from gaming but find its use in other applications such as surgery and housing. Future of gaming is going to be even more minimalistic as hipsters make money by making cheap games and AAA industry is a growing bubble that is soon reaching a point where they won't make enough money to support themselves.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
heres-why-there-are-so-few-trash-cans-in-london.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Trademarked by Google, you will be forced to produce content that fits their agenda or be denied 'publishing rights' on Google Steam, after gaben sells Valve to Google for trillions of dolleurs.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Everything will be consumed by the Creation Club. Bethsoft will have a huge cash cow. All games are released through a combination of Steam and Creation Club. Steam is the DRM, Creation Club is the content. Valve and Bethsoft are locked in an eternal struggle -- jockeying for position over one another.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
AAA RPGs will blend into the whole open world action games we already see to a greater extent. Basically AAA games will be few that try to blend in as many genres as possible, RPG stats will exist to some extent as a vestigial piece on these games.

Mid level social media/mobile based grindfests will still exist. Grind + Gambling is already a winning combo and I doubt it ever truly disappears. Slots and match 3 games with RPG grind are here until WW3 I think.

The indie scene will keep certain "tradtional" things alive for sure. This is where I'm not as sure what will be saved though. Will these retro games take anything from the isometric games, like we see now? Will they throw back to our current open world RPGs? Looking at the indie scene now gives some hints, traditional Dungeon Crawlers have already crossed the event horizon of irrelevance I'm afraid, but RPG Maker has saved the Square/Enix style SNES era RPG from vanishing. Will we see a sort of RPG maker for the "traditional" Gamebryo experience?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It will be games like UnderTale.

Hey even Felipeepee liked it, can't be all bad, rite?

tomekumb

Novice
Bullshit. Games will be similar to present games but with better graphics and maybe some new technology like physics in the past.

Azarkon

Arcane
Miniaturized, hand-held, and guided, requiring little work from the user beyond pushing a button.

pike_body_img_01.jpg

Oh, you were talking about CRPGs? Well, my answer is pretty much the same.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Miniaturized, hand-held, and guided, requiring little work from the user beyond pushing a button.

pike_body_img_01.jpg

Oh, you were talking about CRPGs? Well, my answer is pretty much the same.

^ If someone is interested:
Launcher: H&K M320
Ammunition: Raytheon Pike, laser guided, experimental, range increased, 40mm grenade/missile.

Gaems:
auto-playing cyoa's with various option's like: no violence, no cis-characters etc

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom