Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Prime Junta

This game srsly needs a rebalance/mechanical adjustment. The armour system in particular. It wouldn't be difficult, just make armour give a bonus to defence against special attacks, proportionate to the ratio between attack strength and armour strength rather than a blanket hard immunity to everything. Give different armours different defences against different attack types. Then tune the numbers until it feels right.

Thinking of giving it a rest until after a few more patches, in case they do decide to rebalance.

Prime Junta

How exactly would a non-deterministic system work?????

Deterministic means that you are certain of the outcome before taking the action. In this case, armour gives a blanket immunity to status effects until it has been stripped away -- to the point of absurdity, for example physical armour protects against Taunt, which makes no sense.

The suggestion I'm making above is an example of making it non-deterministic: armour does boost your defence, but it's not a blanket hard counter. I.e. you can't know beforehand how much of your attack gets through.

(Come to think of it, "hey, let's make armour give a blanket immunity to everything" sounds like such a fucking stupid idea it's kind of puzzling it made it all the way to production. I mean, these guys do know how to do turn-based fantasy combat, they pulled it off well in DOS1.)

Malpercio

Arcane
So far it feels worse in everything compared to DOS1. The Joy can't really compete with Cyseal in terms of design too, it feels like an extended tutorial. If you play at hard mode it also sorta turns into a design nightmare too if you kill the wrong NPCs or select the wrong skills at the beginning because there aren't many way to exp and there are a lot of things that can kill you.

It feels like they either tried to shake the formula (Origins) or re-balance the Battle System (Armor system) but they just failed.

So I take it the casual quest market shit isn't optional?
I was angry when they pulled that shit in EE. Now, I'm just disappointed. Fool me twice.

If the NPCs explain where you have to go or what you have to do in each quest, then it's optional. If it's a Skyrim situation where it's impossible to find the quest location without the marker because NPCs don't tell you any specifics, then it's not optional.
Sad. One of my favorite parts of D:OS was that every quest was something I fully had control over figuring out on my own, with nothing but finding out myself what to do and where to go. Putting quest markers in gutted that self-reliance and treated me like a retard who needs to have my hand held.

So far only one quest had a marker and I think it was done OK, it's basically one NPC telling you "you'll point you this area on the map, go check it and kill the mobs there please". I think that's acceptable.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How exactly would a non-deterministic system work?????

Deterministic means that you are certain of the outcome before taking the action. In this case, armour gives a blanket immunity to status effects until it has been stripped away -- to the point of absurdity, for example physical armour protects against Taunt, which makes no sense.

The suggestion I'm making above is an example of making it non-deterministic: armour does boost your defence, but it's not a blanket hard counter. I.e. you can't know beforehand how much of your attack gets through.

(Come to think of it, "hey, let's make armour give a blanket immunity to everything" sounds like such a fucking stupid idea it's kind of puzzling it made it all the way to production. I mean, these guys do know how to do turn-based fantasy combat, they pulled it off well in DOS1.)

The armor system fixes a lot of problems - not least the CC-thing you talked so much about when you complained about DoS1. It's just that it's waaaaaay too predictable and shoehorns the combat. And I'm not sure the EE will fix it because currently there's no real save system so they'd have to implement one from scratch.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Deterministic means that you are certain of the outcome before taking the action.

Strong disagree.

But I get your point. Same thing I've been complaining about, armor negating your special abilities. I just didn't use brophysics terms.

Still not sure if this only applies to tacticool mode or other modes as well.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Maybe I've just had terrible luck so far then? That would explain that basically every single fight of the game the last 2 hours has been nail-bightingly tough. Random loot boyos
Crafted item's levels scale with you. A level 7 crafted Toy Crossbow does like 22-24 damage, so it's okay if you can't find new weapons for a few levels.

Had this since level 4 on one of my characters. Still does tons of damage at level 7, especially with Elemental Arrowheads which adds 18-19 of the element in damage currently.
QjpiBIh.png

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The problem is also that the physical armor nullifies ALL types of physicals skills and attacks, and the magical armor nullifies ALL elements and even status effects.

It's very lazy. At least they could have done different armors based on its type of resistance. Like armors strong against Fire, others against status effects, other against phys skills, some high tier ones with combination of several resistances, but not against all. And also not giving complete immunity, just a good bonus.

This could also give some loot variety, and an element of strategy selecting armor to fight depending on the situation.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Today on RPG Codex: GAM IS TU HARRD ON HARDESD DIFICULT! LARIAN INSULT ME!

67K concurrent players. D:OS 1 never got anywhere near those numbers. It looks like Larian might have produced a HUGE hit.
Which is why I'm sure they'll support the game for a long time and address many of these complaints. There might be expansions, a D:OS 2 2.0 and a D:OS 2 3.0 like PoE got, the sky's the limit.
I sure hope so - or at least a mod. I'll bear through it for now, but I sure as hell am not going to replay it a second time while all of that nonsense is still present.
Already installed the mod that prevents every new pickup from clogging up your hotbar.
Another strange oversight.

I really start to get a feeling both the devs and the testers developed tunnel vision.

Seriously, it's slowly becoming a law that with 2nd gen Kickstarter companies just go full retard.
Well... even fully retarded, it surpasses most other recent TB games easily.
At least it doesn't rely entirely on an annoying as hell pod system :lol:

It's just so weird they'd go and fuck up a perfectly fine system just because some people cannot deal with %.
I mean, they could have made it deterministic without needing that weird armor stuff.
I just don't get it.

It happens when you eat people.

Israfael

Arcane
If armor did not work the way it does now, it'd be cc spamfest a-la WoW arena. Currently you have to think how to break armor and not let the enemies restore it / prevent you from applying CC (like casting water under the vulnerable NPC and your toons) and there's lot of ways NPCs can restore it or flee if needed. For example, Knilles guy has some nasty tricks in his pockets - he can charm you if you are very close to stunning him, he can teleport you into a cage, swap places with other NPCs and do other things you have to counter / predict. It might be annoying for some people, but it is tactics, actually, not just 'click all cds to win' a-la DA:O

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tactical Mode thread on Larian forums: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=612517&page=1

EDIT: Oh hey, hiver is in that thread! :D

Turns out the person with the furry avatar who keeps popping up in that thread is a Thai living in Thailand. What a great coincidence.

Then I found out it's a guy and lost all interest in any additional internet sleuthing. Yeccccccccch.

Roguey did you get a physical copy of this game or are you just posting in this thread to troll?

There is no physical copy, which is why I keep campaigning for Larian to make one. I was also doing this same thing back in 2014 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-enhanced-edition.92612/page-134#post-3380648

Metatron

Augur
Been playing for like 10 hours now and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with it
As always, the Codex's pathological belief that good taste is expressed by indiscriminately shitting on everything you try is stopping a lot of people here from enjoying what is, at least so far, a really fun game.

2017 Codex shitting on everything new that is made by a company consisting of more than 3 people big shocker.
If a beloved established Codex classic like Arcanum that is mechanically way more wonky than release day D:OS2 is would be released today it would be ripped to shreds by the usual suspects. "Lol this tech build is so bad why even bother when you can just HARMSPAM worst game ever!" followed by crybabies like that utterly insufferable 12 year old (or at least I hope he is) Lacrymas who hasn't actually played to game but spends his saturday having a lot of opinions about how he always knew it would suck big time regardless. Reading some valid complaints here but unfortunately a lot of it gets buried under the noise and edgy posturing. This board sure used to be more prestigious.

himmy

Arcane
In other news, these numbers look pretty good, right? It's almost double the PoE peak and almost four times the original D:OS (though I'm not sure how steamspy handles the whole EE / Classic edition thing.)

swmxLcr.png

and

8xdhtxE.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2017 Codex shitting on everything new that is made by a company consisting of more than 3 people big shocker.
If a beloved established Codex classic like Arcanum that is mechanically way more wonky than release day D:OS2 is would be released today it would be ripped to shreds by the usual suspects. "Lol this tech build is so bad why even bother when you can just HARMSPAM worst game ever!" followed by crybabies like that utterly insufferable 12 year old (or at least I hope he is) Lacrymas who hasn't actually played to game but spends his saturday having a lot of opinions about how he always knew it would suck big time regardless. Reading some valid complaints here but unfortunately a lot of it gets buried under the noise and edgy posturing. This board sure used to be more prestigious.

Consider that people are upset over how it's a step down from D:OS in some aspects.

Imagine Black Isle's Fallout 2 forums on release, though this isn't quite that, considering how Fallout 2 kept its systems 99% the same.

Metatron

Augur

Consider that people are upset over how it's a step down from D:OS in some aspects.

Imagine Black Isle's Fallout 2 forums on release, though this isn't quite that, considering how Fallout 2 kept its systems 99% the same.

People would shit on the change in tone though, pages and pages complaining about too many pop culture references.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
sooo what's the verdict is it less complex than the first game and thus inferior?

or are the changes to things like the armors simply a different approach that doesn't affect the game's depth and will mostly be something only fans of the first game will talk about?

Sentinel

Arcane
combat system is worse
everything else is different flavours of shit
soundtrack is better

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom