Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Vibalist

Arcane
Does anyone know how to get here? (Fort Joy, Braccus tower)
braxx.jpg

If you exit Braccus' Tower and go back to the maze area (the area where you need the skulls to unlock the doors), there should be some portals with gargoyle statues hanging over them. I think these portals lead to that area.
Isn't that the witch area? Looks like it.

That could be it, too. In that case you need to
exit Braccus' maze and go to the beach with the shackled ice dragon. Nearby (right next to the waypoint) is a dungeon, which might be the one on your map.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Inb4 Larian games turn into the equivalent of Oscar bait, a predictable formula that gives off the illusion of depth, but it's actually as deep as a typical Facebook proverb, with the intent of gaining the adoration and sycophantism (and sales) of a particular group of people that are perceived to be prestigious. Although I'm not sure what that group is or who this game is for.
Jesus, do you EVER stop whining?

Arkeus

Arcane
How much memory do you folk take? I found myself taking a lot of points there, but I'm unsure if it's just because I'm very low level and the incredible lack of slots and it get useless later on, or if memory is legit something we have to take with most characters.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I feel that up to 2/3rd primary stat 1/3rd memory is fine. If your guy is for utility not damage you can go beyond that. Just don't be an idiot and invest points in memory only to fill up your skillbar with useless or redundant skills.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How much memory do you folk take? I found myself taking a lot of points there, but I'm unsure if it's just because I'm very low level and the incredible lack of slots and it get useless later on, or if memory is legit something we have to take with most characters.

1) I feel like everyone should get Mnemonic, no excuses

2) Beyond that I roll with it and spend points on Memory when I actually have new skills I want to use.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, my appreciation for the high ground thingy would have been much higher (HÓHÓHÓ) if the line of sight and targeting algorithms in this game weren't so thoroughly fucked. For example in here:

ZBjmoB.jpg

Standing where I am, at this balustrade, I can only "see" and target the very far reaches of the wooden platform below. The vast majority of the area I'm actually overlooking is "out of sight". Moreover, there are weird-ass blocked spaces and holes all around the platform, even within the zones that I can "see". Even better - many of my straight line targeted skills actually get blocked by the fucking balustrade. And finally - the moment I step away from it for even 5cm, everything on the other side counts as "not seen".

Meanwhile that KO'd skellyman archer on the platform? He can target seemingly any place on the bridge where I am standing. Not just Lohse at the balustrade, but also Prinz Eugen way behind it. He can also throw aoe shit into the middle of that zone to the right of the prince, which has an EVEN HIGHER barrier separating it from the platform.

And it's anything but the first time this happens. Each time I see a ledge with a tiny wall or fence in front of it, which for all intents and purposes looks like an excellent sniping position, it turns out to be a fucking trap.

At this point I've noticed that my coop bro and I spend about as much of the fights ranting about retarded targeting/los as we actually do killing things.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You generally have a thing about LOS in games it seems to me.

I actually do, because there's little that pisses me off more than setting a (seemingly) perfect plan into motion and then finding out in the middle of it (once characters have acted) that the next vital step is blocked by some fucking pixel, which I had no way to check beforehand to make sure whether my target was obstructed or not. Jagged Alliance 2 had LoS inspection in fucking 1999. Meanwhile it's $CURRENT_YEAR$ and the only other fucking game with the same thing, despite the slew of "tactical rpg" shovelware popping up left and right, is BLACKGUARDS 2.

FFS

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's absolutely true that its annoying in D:OS1&2 that you can't pre estimate if going at a specific spot will allow you to aim an enemy or not

KateMicucci

Arcane
It is a little frustrating sometimes wanting to fly up onto a ledge and not being able to because it's out of sight.

KateMicucci

Arcane
cvv said:
Yeah, figured that too, altho I did raise Huntsman to 6 for the skills (not sure how high the requirements go).

IIRC the highest skill requirement is 5. As far as I have seen this is true for all skill trees, and the only one that gets an extra benefit from being maxed is Summoning.

Huntsman seems too lackluster to even take to 5, though. I could see myself raising it to 2 for Tactical Retreat and possibly 3 for Assassinate as a nice option for a leading sneak attack with Guerrilla, but after that I'd probably rather put points in Ranged for the flat +5% to damage and +1% to crit chance or, even better, put points in Warfare, which also gives a flat +5% to an archer's damage and comes with the added benefit of being a much more useful skill tree.

On a totally unrelated note: fuck the number 5.

2 for the good skills or 3 for the source skills looks like the most that most schools should get.

What does an archer get out of Warfare? Enrage?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

At this point I've noticed that my coop bro and I spend about as much of the fights ranting about retarded targeting/los as we actually do killing things.
That's like, the full half the appeal of multiplayer, though, right there.

It's amazing how they managed to fuck up LOS in D:OS2, though, considering how it was always an issue in D:OS1 already, and it would often have been fixable by drawing LOS from the most generous/forgiving vantage point possible, giving some leeway for abstraction.
cvv said:
Yeah, figured that too, altho I did raise Huntsman to 6 for the skills (not sure how high the requirements go).

IIRC the highest skill requirement is 5. As far as I have seen this is true for all skill trees, and the only one that gets an extra benefit from being maxed is Summoning.

Huntsman seems too lackluster to even take to 5, though. I could see myself raising it to 2 for Tactical Retreat and possibly 3 for Assassinate as a nice option for a leading sneak attack with Guerrilla, but after that I'd probably rather put points in Ranged for the flat +5% to damage and +1% to crit chance or, even better, put points in Warfare, which also gives a flat +5% to an archer's damage and comes with the added benefit of being a much more useful skill tree.

2 for the good skills or 3 for the source skills looks like the most that most schools should get.

What does an archer get out of Warfare? Enrage?
If you're primarily Huntsman, you get pretty much fucking nothing of value from Warfare. The synergies between the martial skills are pretty much non-existent, because they're individually pigeon-holed very strongly - Warfare into Sword/Board or Two-Handers, Huntsman to ranged, and Scoundrel to daggers.

For a Huntsman, you might get some use out of Phoenix Dive (Warfare 2), but that's about it.

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
cvv said:

Anyone checked to be sure you don't get anything for putting skills to 10?

Anyway, what the heck does a ranger gain from warfare skills? Enrage? seems like it would be pretty lackluster, and Huntsman might even be better as long as you can consistently gain the height advantage.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyway, what the heck does a ranger gain from warfare skills? Enrage? seems like it would be pretty lackluster, and Huntsman might even be better as long as you can consistently gain the height advantage.

Enrage seems pretty good to me. And again - I have yet to see a fight where an assassin-type enemy doesn't teleport right behind my high-ground ranger on turn 1 and proceed to poke him in the butt for dat backstab crit. Either I'm doing something wrong or gaining high-ground is completely useless in most situations.

Arkeus

Arcane
Enrage seems pretty good to me. And again - I have yet to see a fight where an assassin-type enemy doesn't teleport right behind my high-ground ranger on turn 1 and proceed to poke him in the butt for dat backstab crit. Either I'm doing something wrong or gaining high-ground is completely useless in most situations.
How much Wit do you have on your ranger? I like having somewhat high wit on them so they play just after my scoundrel (well, one enemy play first), take advantage of the high ground and so on. There is also at least one skill that makes sure you can have a high ground attack wherever you are, and tactical retreat is very useful for that too.

Enemies also prioritise low armour peeps, so probably you need a bit more armour on your huntsman.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, my appreciation for the high ground thingy would have been much higher (HÓHÓHÓ) if the line of sight and targeting algorithms in this game weren't so thoroughly fucked. For example in here:

ZBjmoB.jpg

Standing where I am, at this balustrade, I can only "see" and target the very far reaches of the wooden platform below. The vast majority of the area I'm actually overlooking is "out of sight". Moreover, there are weird-ass blocked spaces and holes all around the platform, even within the zones that I can "see". Even better - many of my straight line targeted skills actually get blocked by the fucking balustrade. And finally - the moment I step away from it for even 5cm, everything on the other side counts as "not seen".

Meanwhile that KO'd skellyman archer on the platform? He can target seemingly any place on the bridge where I am standing. Not just Lohse at the balustrade, but also Prinz Eugen way behind it. He can also throw aoe shit into the middle of that zone to the right of the prince, which has an EVEN HIGHER barrier separating it from the platform.

And it's anything but the first time this happens. Each time I see a ledge with a tiny wall or fence in front of it, which for all intents and purposes looks like an excellent sniping position, it turns out to be a fucking trap.

I had a combat in the same area yesterday. I had the higher ground and somehow I positioned Lohse in such a way that even though she was on the ledge of the cliff she was behind a tall stone which prevented her from establishing a straight line of fire towards a skeleton. However, I was only able to see that after zooming the camera to behind her ears.

Before you move to a certain position you have very little way of telling what will and will not be visible to your character from said position.

The perspective and zoom level are total crap. Why did no one work on fixing that? :/

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw such a shame Larian dropped the ball on food and cooking FUCKING AGAIN. Food only heals what, 10-15%? And cooking high-level meals is not exactly trivial, finding all the ingredients plus a stove. Even if you waste that Dinner perk it's still far from worth it. Jesus christ Vincke.

Shadenuat

Arcane

1) I feel like everyone should get Mnemonic, no excuses

2) Beyond that I roll with it and spend points on Memory when I actually have new skills I want to use.
Trading feat for 3 stat points is bad idea.

You get new slots with level ups. At level 14 I have 10 base slots. With my 3 memory it's 13. Sadly as Summoner I don't have enough skills to fill all the slots with so I have some empty ones.

Really, depends on amount of skills you split into:
- only 1 skill - don't put anything
- 2 skills (hybrid) - about 3 points
- 3 skills (really hybrid) - actually lots, my Fane is water-warfare-necro and he has 18. Although most skills are useless as damage I could probably go with 15-16.

Sure there aren't a lot of useful feats but you can always take Pawn, Comeback Kid, Opportunist on every character, and maybe stuff like Living Armor, Elemental Affinity etc. There is also Picture of Health that gives chars with Warfare 10+ a 30%+ hp increase.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...success-makes-mac-release-strong-possibility/

- Swen had been hoping a half-million sales by X-Mas
- D:OS 1 sold nearly 2 million (includes console sales. According to Steamspy it sold nearly 1.4 million on Steam. Assuming GOG sales are 10% of Steam, consoles sales are nearly a half-million)

Divinity: Original Sin 2 success makes Mac release strong possibility

Divinity: Original Sin 2 [official site] left Early Access less than a week ago and in the first four days it sold almost half a million copies. Those are the kind of figures, Larian CEO Swen Vincke tells me, that he’d been hoping for “by Christmas”. The game is only available for Windows at the moment and during the Early Access period, the studio stated that, “A decision on other platforms will not be made until after the full release.” With that full release now behind us, I asked if the strong sales made support for new platforms more likely. Short answer: “yes”. Longer answers on that and other matters below.

Larian started work on Original Sin 2 using the engine that ran the Enhanced Edition of its predecessor, and that version was ported to consoles as well as Mac, Linux and Windows. It always seemed likely that similar support would arrive for the sequel at some point, but perhaps due to delays to the Linux version of the original game, no firm promises have been made this time around. But in response to a question about whether the sales success made ports more likely, Vincke told me:

“Yes. We deliberately focused on the gameplay of the Windows PC version first because it was such a complicated game to make and we didn’t want to lose time on the inevitable additional hassle cross-platform development brings with it.”

Our Divinity: Original Sin 2 review think it’s superb so its popularity seems well-earned, but given how difficult it can be to stand out in such a crowded market, I asked Vincke if he thought the Early Access period and Kickstarter had helped the game to build an audience.

“Yes, I think so. Our players have been very vocal during development and because of them the game became a lot better. I imagine they talked to their friends about the game and that as a result some of those friends may have given it a shot. From there on I guess it snowballed.

“We learnt from D:OS 1 that there was a market big enough to support this type of game. So we figured that if we would make a game that improved on the original and show it to as many people as possible, that would get some attention. That’s where the Kickstarter and Early Access helped us a lot. A lot of people discovered the game already prior to release so on release date they could tell the others about their experience.”

Original Sin 1 sales are now “close to 2 million (console included)” but it took a few months to reach the sales figures the sequel has already hit. Kickstarter and Early Access may have helped, but Vincke says there’s no magic formula, and that’s no bad thing.

“There are so many way of making games and luckily for players everyone does it in a different way. There is no right or wrong way when it comes to making games and sometimes a game design that is seen as a total failure by many may contain the seeds of the next big thing. That’s one of the things that is so cool about game development.”

We’re still exploring every corner of the game and also looking to build some adventures of our own in the GM mode. Currently trying to decide if Horace is an end-boss or potential party member.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You generally have a thing about LOS in games it seems to me.

I actually do, because there's little that pisses me off more than setting a (seemingly) perfect plan into motion and then finding out in the middle of it (once characters have acted) that the next vital step is blocked by some fucking pixel, which I had no way to check beforehand to make sure whether my target was obstructed or not. Jagged Alliance 2 had LoS inspection in fucking 1999. Meanwhile it's $CURRENT_YEAR$ and the only other fucking game with the same thing, despite the slew of "tactical rpg" shovelware popping up left and right, is BLACKGUARDS 2.

FFS

Yea this annoys the fuck out of me.
One thing that DOS2 changes is that your AP spent on movement is based on distance traveled after you've taken your first turn to move.

For example: If I take a few steps forward I lose 1 AP but I can then take a few more steps forward for 0AP. This is extremely useful for nudging characters into the right spot. In DOS1 each movement in a turn spent a minimum of 1AP.

So if you move your character in the general spot you think your gucci for. You can usually slide them around a few more steps at 0AP to get it perfect, depending how far they moved to get there.

But yes, Higher / Lower Line of Sight can easily become retarded in a Isometric Game. Shame on you Swen.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Maybe it changed with EE but I remember movement being the same in OS1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom