Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Secret of Mana 3D remake

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A bit more shade probably helps?:

ss_d09ab692374f3908d5509714864d49156358edd5.jpg

UUdG1fQ.jpg

CuypClY.jpg

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
I could swear i had this installed on my Android year ago. It's basically the same game as original but i just couldn't tolerate mobile graphics and fact that i know that superior sequel is still perfectly playable on SNES emu.

Neurosplicer

Barely Literate
Art style is okay but the animations are fucking awful. Would buy it if price is around 10-15€ but 40€ are way too much for that.

Ent

Savant
I'd even pay 20 for it to make an Seiken Densetsu 3 remake - which is probably what the price should have probably been given that it looks like its just a remake using Rise of Mana assets.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd even pay 20 for it to make an Seiken Densetsu 3 remake - which is probably what the price should have probably been given that it looks like its just a remake using Rise of Mana assets.
I'd pay $40 for SD3 and play it with my brother.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Is it my eyes/bias that most new 3d remakes still seem to play slower (less tight gameplay/longer player & monster animation) than their originals at this present age?

Machocruz

Arcane
Is it my eyes/bias that most new 3d remakes still seem to play slower (less tight gameplay/longer player & monster animation) than their originals at this present age?
Because 3D animators tend to articulate more phases/frames of movement, so the time between say going from neutral position to extension (e.g. thrusting a sword) is longer. In the originals the action can go from the neutral pose immediately to extension with no frames in between. Same reason most fighting games with 3D models also feel slower.

Nostaljaded

Savant
So now having the choice to render the more frames in the same amount of time for an equivalent tight gameplay but with smoother animations,
developers deliberately choose to have longer animations instead, to appeal to casual fags for the sake of higher sales numbers/to achieve their 'original, intended' vision of a slower gameplay...

Machocruz

Arcane
So now having the choice to render the more frames in the same amount of time for an equivalent tight gameplay but with smoother animations,
developers deliberately choose to have longer animations instead, to appeal to casual fags for the sake of higher sales numbers/to achieve their 'original, intended' vision of a slower gameplay...

I don't know if they can render more frames in the same amount of time in a movement cycle. Or at least it might look weird, like the Road Runner or something. Even a 2D game like Street Fighter 3, with it's fuller animation is slower than others that "cheat" more (e.g. Alpha series). And even if they could, I'm not sure it would be as tight. The tightness of 16-bit games is because they were lacking those inbetween frames. You press the button and the sword or bullet immediately comes out. It doesn't look realistic, but it feels great. Even the Guilty Gear Xrd animators skipped intermediate poses to match the responsiveness and move transitions of the hand drawn GGs. They had the balls or vision to abstract movement, while your average 3D animator is so enamored with the ability to render full animation cycles and/or realism.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Personally, I wish they'd remake Legend of Mana.

Not in 3D, but just remake the battle system so that it's actually good.

Would have been an all-time classic if it weren't for the awful combat.

Jinn

Arcane

Yeah, I just started playing that again with the intention of completing it not too long ago and had to unfortunately put it down. The game is waaaaaaay too easy.

Last edited:

The Decline

Arcane

Yeah, I just started playing that again with the intention of completing it not too long ago and had to unfortunately put it down. The game waaaaaaay too easy.

There is a rom hack that attempts to fix the combat.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2085/

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Yeah, I just started playing that again with the intention of completing it not too long ago and had to unfortunately put it down. The game waaaaaaay too easy.

There is a rom hack that attempts to fix the combat.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2085/

It's not perfect and honestly, I hate how slow your character moves in it. It does encourage you to use the evasion skills more, but there's none that have you evade up and down which creates a huge issue with the mod.

Consequently, of all bosses, Bud and Lisa kicked my shit in with magic.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Hmmm I don't know what to think about this remake. The art and the music direction in Secret of mana is very important, and this remake doesn't look as good as it should look. The new orchestatred OST thing makes me tremble.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

great music

Let's not forget this weird-ass, completely out of place, yet infinitely memorable boss theme:

Was an unforgettable game for me. Not much of a surprise, it was my first "RPG" - and I am stretching the definition of the word here.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, no doubt. Mine, too.
Man, the time I spent grinding every single weapon - and for no reason, too! Once you found the best weapon, that was the only one that actually made sense to grind to level it up.

I really don't think I would like the game too much today. My standards kinda changed.
However, I'm willing to give that one a try, just for nostalgia's sake.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Did you know that when you grind a spell above level 8 (the maximum), that the closer you get to level 8:99, you increase your chances of getting a "super version" of the spell when cast? They look very different and most people will never ever see them. Isn't that amazing?

As a kid I ground every weapon to max, and then ever spell. And I got the maximum amount of gold, and of course everyone hit max level long before that...

AND I STILL NEVER GOT A "RUBINDIADEM", FUCKING FAKE NEWS.

Hyperion

Arcane
I have vivid memories of working my way through the Mana Fortress as a wee lad, not much older than 6, and getting a Sword Orb from a random enemy (Gold Vampire Head I think?) and being able to upgrade it to Level 9 at Watts.

Think the only memory I have of being even close to that happy and excited was finally getting The Sword of Kings for Poo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom