Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
not streamlined

For good and ill, the attributes' effect on action points, cooldowns, how much you can move per AP, and initiative (thanks to the that one hard coded decision) are all gone.

the only controversy over the combat system is that it is actually has some difficult battles on tactician difficulty

And it replaced saving throws with armor/shieids and handles enemy initiative in a gamey way.

imweasel

Yep. Poison and fire were deadly in D:OS, but both suck really hard in D:OS 2, which is why I also had to reskill my pyrokinetic wizard. Fire just doesn't do much damage and by setting everything aflame you just cuck yourself by burning up oil or removing chill as well as frozen statuses from enemies, which are all great for slowing them down.
And compared to other mages, Pyro just does most damage.
Not really.

Pyro buffs are good, but the offensive magic just isn't really helpful. You can't CC enemies with pyro magic and it also removes debuffs like chill, frozen and slow (oil). Ice magic does similar amounts of damage to pyro magic, but it can also debuff enemies which is extremely helpful. The choice is obvious.

With each passing day this sounds more and more like Dragon Age II with a lot more time: streamlined character system, controversial combat system changes, somewhat different art style, edgy polarizing companions (but without a universally-liked bro like Varric), enemies popping up out of nowhere encounter design, everyone-is-bisexual romances.
Yep. It is pretty much a love story going sour. Expectations were high and Larian didn't really deliver.

D:OS 2 is not a bad game by any means and is still enjoyable, it is just disappointing because it could have been so much more.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
For good and ill, the attributes' effect on action points, cooldowns, how much you can move per AP, and initiative (thanks to the that one hard coded decision) are all gone.

They should have balanced it rather than stripping it all out; imagine if you saw this in the latest PoE2 KS video?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They should have balanced it rather than stripping it all out; imagine if you saw this in the latest PoE2 KS video?

I'm all in favor of removing action points from attributes because it can never be balanced. Underrail had the right idea (it also had the right idea by not going as low as only giving you 6). :M

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ice magic does similar amounts of damage to pyro magic
It doesn't because all Ice spells are about 1 AP more expensive. Multiply by haste/elf buff/elemental affinity and fire mage will throw just more spells. Compare Supernova or what it's called to Deep Freeze for example. So if you want to scrap enemy armor, Fire is faster and better, you can't kill enemies by making them ice skating forevah.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'm all in favor of removing action points from attributes because it can never be balanced

It would be interesting to have an RNG aspect to action points to make things less predictable and deterministic.

Murk

Arcane
Heh, this was pretty neat. I restarted as a rogue/necromancer undead and in the houndmaster fight, I pickpocketed the knock down arrow from the archer before fighting. Suddenly, things were significanlty easier without me being a prone doormat for a good chunk of the fight.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
jarmaro said:
I dunno why people are bitching about abusing respec so much. It's Morrowind's Alchemy all over again.
Somebody might play the game in a manner I dislike.
Also there seems to be story related problems with custom characters and to me it looks like Larian got carried away with their "original" characters and player created one's got kind of left behind .
What a stupid thread. Seriously complaining that Larian didn't write backstory and quests for custom character? That's the whole point of playing a custom.
Physical Armor/Magic bar is dumb as fuck imo. Not really liking it.
Your opinion is wrong. The armor system is such an improvement that it's going to be hard for me to go back to plain healthbar games where planning ahead is impossible because CC is based on die rolls.
If you don't like breaking the game, then don't do it. Why is this hard for some people? It's pretty clear that what the guy was doing in the video is not how the game was meant to be played
Jesus, do you EVER stop whining?
79 posts in Larian threads in less than 2 weeks.

Are you a disciple of Swenism?

A priest of the Larian sect, proclaimed heretics by the church of Fig?

Hath thee of the bastard faith sought terror and doom upon all systems of man?

The 'dex is a swamp. Your religion cannot grow here.

Apostatize.

Ivan

Arcane
wO25TwC.jpg

A friend we have all missed.

I haven't started the game myself (waiting for patches) but goddamn are those portraits fugly.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Is there any sort of level scaling in the game? Haven't played it yet(and haven't been following the news either).

Seethe

Arbiter
I threw away the Obsidian Lancet that is required for the first ritual during the main quest when you meet your God. Aapparently I have to do the ritual again after 50 hours of gameplay, but...I no longer have the Obsidian Lancet to draw blood from myself anymore because I sold it/threw it, essentially giving me an unofficial GAME OVER. Fuck if I remember what I did with the knife, it was like 40+ hours ago. Who knew the fate of the world rested in the hands of a retarded knife.

This bullshit pissed me off so much, I shelved the game. I don't think any other game destroyed my mood to play it as much as this one. So yeah, if you guys are missing the Obsidian Lancet OR/AND the Ritual Bowl and you have no idea where you've placed it, you're fucking screwed.

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
Necrofire does good damage though.

And compared to other mages, Pyro just does most damage. They have most straightforward blowemups, and Pyro source powers are friggin bonkers, especially higher source cost ones. You can just annihilate whole encounters with Meteor Shower, suck all their bodies for Source (or replenish at source sugarsoda fountain) and do it again. Summoner's Etheral Storm is also okay, but it's random and works strange.
Due to pyro buffs and using correct staff, Pyro also hits in melee hard or even harder than dedicated fighters. You can just literally beat them with the stick :deadhorse: and I don't even have 2-handed. With that Pyrostaffer could probably remove 1000+ armor/hp per hit from enemy EZ.

Only thing I dislike is that if I leave something alive, unlike fighter who can finish turn with stomp(best control skill in game eh)/bullrush easy, dedicated damage long range mage doesn't have that luxury since pyro just has no controls and others would have to use control spells for damage.
If you use a fire staff, Stomp/Bullrush as well as Phoenix Dive scale off intelligence and do pure fire damage. Getting a couple of warfare points is a VERY good idea for a Pyro mage.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm still mucking around in the Swamps outside Fort Joy but so far I'm enjoying it. I like the way the world is interconnected and you can activate/find shortcuts to let you link up to areas you've explored previously. The combat is not the second coming of JA2 but can be tense/enjoyable although it (so far) seems a little too hard to take down enemies at a higher level than you.

My main criticisms would be recycled NPC portraits, the weird decision to make the narrator fully voiced (although I'm getting used to it now) and the fact that enemies seem to have random powers that make little sense (ie Why are crocodiles casting spells on me? Why is that undead swashbuckler turning my characters into chickens etc).

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
not streamlined

the only controversy over the combat system is that it is actually has some difficult battles on tactician difficulty

And it replaced saving throws with armor/shieids and handles enemy initiative in a gamey way.

The last system was really, really bad but had some decent things. More AP is pretty much better than everything so raising turn and turn max was a no brainer for every non-dummy. If you haven't played DOS EE with the epic encounters mod you really should check it out as it goes from a game with boringly shit combat to really, really good and difficult combat where chardev choices are far more important than without it.

The 4 AP standard isn't great, but I do not believe larian is capable of making a really interesting chardev system and I am happy they went with set AP as it opens up chardev with the systems they are capable of making.

The new system has a much stronger foundation to be modded into goodness. This month is really busy for me due to my field but I think this may be the first game I try and make a mod for. I am thinking of a 3.5ish system with majority of attribute spending at chargen, very low item stats, max level 15 or so, picking a strength skillbook thing gives you more feats or traits or whatever they call them, picking a finesse skillbook thing gives you more secondary skill points (or whatever they call the tab with sneak, thief, etc).

The current system of bad chargen (but better than DOS 1 or EEs) coupled with the humongous item stat jumps on levels makes leveling up a pain in this game instead of something to look forward to.

But, the fact the game has had some really great encounter design and really memorable battles on tactician has somewhat tinted my glasses a little rosy. It is such a joy to have to think and try.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
OS beats witcher 3 when it comes to quests by a landslide, since you are actually playing the game and not following the quest compass.
Here I agree.
Fuck no, the world design in the Witcher 3 is beautiful and with an amazing attention to detail...

In regards to quests, Witcher 3 has some of the best quests in any rpg, bloody baron, the blood and wine dlc main quest line.

Original sin 2 quests are just the same shit larian half assed in the first game.

Also... Divinity red fucking flags everywhere is suddenly more hardcore than quest compass.
Sure, any game that marks spots on the map is piss easy.
Of course real hardcore games should have no map at all, and preferably no graphics and no sound.

BTW I am lvl 6 and still no talent points. This is a bug, isn't it?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Fighting a bunch of scarecrows in this game is scarier than killing a dragon.

I haven't fought a dragon but I ended yesterday with three failed attempt at the scarecrows. I'm going to give it another try now. They fucking suck, but I have thought of some things to try. That is the majority of the appeal of this game to me though - these types of encounters that require actually trying and even needing to level and upgrade gear.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The demon lady human companion's voice turns me on. Or a mixture of her voice/personality maybe. I'm not sure but it makes my penis shift when she talks. I don't get a semi but it starts the process. Its like a tease. Maybe a tease of what life would be like if I were married to pleasant lady instead of evil incarnate. I don't know, but her voice is pleasant and relaxing.
Did you see the pic of voice actress?

No, I haven't. But honestly, I have no desire to either. Good or bad she is voice actor with a pleasant voice and voice acting was an unnecessary and frivolous expense for this game.
I'm doing you a favor:

Speaking of VO...

dn-tamarinpayne-hollyoak-003.jpg

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

If talents are the last tab and are sort of like feats, I think yes. I got one at level 1 I am almost certain, and almost certain again I got at least another one by level 6. I forget what level I am now but I have at least three points. I'm around, or just under level 10.

Ventidius

Arbiter
The demon lady human companion's voice turns me on. Or a mixture of her voice/personality maybe. I'm not sure but it makes my penis shift when she talks. I don't get a semi but it starts the process. Its like a tease. Maybe a tease of what life would be like if I were married to pleasant lady instead of evil incarnate. I don't know, but her voice is pleasant and relaxing.

No, I haven't. But honestly, I have no desire to either. Good or bad she is voice actor with a pleasant voice and voice acting was an unnecessary and frivolous expense for this game.
I'm doing you a favor:

Speaking of VO...

I think she also plays Lohse. And now you gun dun making me feel bad I didn't pick her again.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

I'm doing you a favor:

Speaking of VO...

Her legs make her look like she is fat waiting to happen or a body builder who focuses only on legs, but I'm not going to be one of those idiots that says a super hot girl isn't because I see her picture online and think I'll look cool or something. She is super hot and way out of my league even when I was young and tried to be a stud, and 100% certainly now that I'm older and my muscle is converting to fat and I don't give a fuck and fart in public and shit, etc.

But, her voice (if her normal voice is hat she used for the demon lady) makes her go from not-super-model-hot to way better than a super-model. If she has the same type of down to earth, pleasant, completely non-cunty personality as the demon lady she is going to make someone a very lucky guy (or lady, but her outfit doesn't scream pure lesbo to me).

AwesomeButton

Patron

If talents are the last tab and are sort of like feats, I think yes. I got one at level 1 I am almost certain, and almost certain again I got at least another one by level 6. I forget what level I am now but I have at least three points. I'm around, or just under level 10.
I got one at level 3 but that was it. I wonder if this is being discussed on Larian's forums.

Sjukob

Arcane
I haven't fought a dragon but I ended yesterday with three failed attempt at the scarecrows. I'm going to give it another try now. They fucking suck, but I have thought of some things to try. That is the majority of the appeal of this game to me though - these types of encounters that require actually trying and even needing to level and upgrade gear
768D60t.jpg
Just sent them back to the void , this skill was what made that fight . It's increadibly cheap encounter actually , but not much of a problem once you get rid of the leader .

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just create and drink some earth resistance potions before that fight, those nasty fuckers mostly deal that kind of damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom