Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Here's hoping there's an ending where you can burn everything and walk away

Those are the best endings

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
But can we get a tentative release date? This year? Next year? Isn't it borderline rude not to give your fans that, what if the only reason we get up in the morning is that maybe, just maybe, someday No Truce With the Furies will be released. Wasn't there a tentative release window before?

I did not intend to be rude, but I did want to imply that this information is coming soon. Until then it is in limbo. I guess the less rude option would have been to just pretend I didn't see your question... and others before that.

Anyway here's a tip: remember TToN - the waiting was the best bit
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

anyway it's a lazy Saturday, so I'm going to brew myself a good cup of joe, eat some delicious cherry pie and then play me some Divinity

xantrius

Liturgist
"Kasparov said:
Anyway here's a tip: remember TToN - the waiting was the best bit

Iznaliu said:
I don't think that is an example you will be lauded for following."

Or he was jesting in response to my jesting.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Some more feedback from EGX: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-24-egx-2017-the-best-games-from-the-show-floor

It's been a genuinely strong year, with some fascinating games in the Rezzed indies area, the Leftfield Collection, and the Transfuser area of astonishingly well put together student projects plus, of course, the big hitters of the major publishers. While by all means not a definitive list, here's a personal selection of games to look out for on your final day at the show - some we've played before, but most that we haven't - which really stood out to us.

NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES

There is an extended moment, when you start playing No Truce With The Furies, in which you can't help but wonder if the game is too smart for its own good.

But it isn't; it's just very smart. A curious mix of genres, elevator-pitched as Baldur's Gate meets True Detective, No Truce With The Furies is an isometric, investigative, existential police drama whodunnit - so actually the pitch is pretty spot on.

You start by choosing a personality type - logical, sensitive, maniacal or just a blandly normal detective - and are first greeted with a scrolling block of dialogue with... yourself? Your subconscious maybe? It's an intentionally opaque system, involving a variety of multiple-choice conversations and surprise, tabletop RPG-style stat checks that grant various insights into the world. I find it hard to describe, but imagine an interactive, sporadic, stream-of-consciousness Twitch chat of only your most troubled inner ramblings, and you'll be getting somewhere close.

Your role in the game is that of an extremely, destructively drunk detective. The world is a sickening parallel universe to the '50s. There's a murder that needs solving, a brilliant undercurrent of both sour wit and absurdist comedy, and then there's the wonderfully disgusting art style: decaying browns and greens and greys, like the rejected smearings of Francisco Goya's mixing palette. It's lovely, and even if I can't quite figure it out, I can't wait to have another try. CT

Got bored and left

Fuuu, I'd forgotten all about Cyberpunk 2077. What is up with that, anyone know?

I think it's in perpetual state of Out When Ready. CDPR have been posting about a fair amount of open positions related to the project on their Facebook page, so Lord only knows how far into it they are. I'm pretty sure nobody knows anything concrete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Fuuu, I'd forgotten all about Cyberpunk 2077. What is up with that, anyone know?

I think it's in perpetual state of Out When Ready. CDPR have been posting about a fair amount of open positions related to the project on their Facebook page, so Lord only knows how far into it they are. I'm pretty sure nobody knows anything concrete.
Ooh, snaap. That OWR thing is good. Where do I send you money? Do you accept paypal? We´re an indie studio - do you have a special price for that? Now whenever someone asks that - OWR. Up until launch day.

Got bored and left

Ooh, snaap. That OWR thing is good. Where do I send you money? Do you accept paypal? We´re an indie studio - do you have a special price for that? Now whenever someone asks that - OWR. Up until launch day.

Original Content, Do Not Steal, everybody!

I thought you guys were pretty much doing the whole "gonna be done when done" thing already :P

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I spy with my little eye...

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/...ention-shames-game-corporations/#.WczDYMbYVaS

Small studios’ invention shames game corporations
Sep, 2017, Thursday 28th
posted by Morning Star
Ben Cowles: Game On

ONE of the worst things about late capitalism is its propensity to reject genuine innovation in favour of guaranteed money-making. Large corporations avoid risking the new in the same way Donald Trump avoids reason.

This behaviour is particularly evident in the creative industries and especially prevalent with video games. That’s why we have a million Call of Duties to every Limbo.

So when I went to EGX, Britain’s largest annual video game trade fair, at Birmingham’s NEC last week, I had absolutely no interest in joining a two-hour queue to play yet another big-budget military/space/WWII shooter.

One of the games I was eager to get my hands on was the point-and-click role-playing game (RPG) No Truce with the Furies, created by the minds behind Za/Um, a 22-person indie studio based in Tallinn, Estonia, and due to be released next spring.

The demo I played begins with a black screen and a conversation between a disgraced detective and two parts of his mind, the ancient lizard brain and the limbic system, which were questioning the copper’s recent life choices.

The game then opened up to a beautifully hand-painted scene of a bearded, middle-aged white man lying half naked on the floor of his disgusting flat with an apocalyptic hangover.

Revealing any more of the experience would spoil its anarchic humour and intriguing mysteries.

But what was unique about it was that the protagonist’s subconscious mind affected his every action in the world.

In most RPGs, your character’s abilities are tied to physical characteristics like stamina and strength. In this game, however, you level-up aspects of the mind, such as perception, logic, conceptualisation, empathy, etc.

Having played the game, I’ve begun to wonder just how many of my own thoughts are derived independently and how many are involuntary byproducts of my subconscious mind.

Another game I got play was the Occupation, a politically driven, noncombat game set in 1980s England developed by the Manchester-based studio White Paper Games and due to be released in spring 2018.

In it we play as a whistle-blowing journalist caught up in political intrigue, just four hours before Parliament vote on whether to enact a new law favouring security over civil rights.

The game takes place in real time. So those four hours are all you’ve got to determine the outcome of the story, giving players a sense of urgency to their actions.

The demo I played began in a governmental building as the protagonist was on his way to speak with a minister. The security guards check my suitcase, issue me with a low-level security pass and warn me not to wander around.

A few minutes later, I’m snooping around the offices, avoiding the security in search of the scoop of the century. The game’s contemporary themes, logic-based puzzles and reactive narrative have me excited to get my hands on this one.

EGX was brimming with fascinating games but the last one I should tell you about is Forgotten Anne, a story-driven, anime-inspired adventure game, developed by Throughline Games. The game takes place in a world of forgotten objects, where once-loved possessions end up and become animated, known as forgotlings. Our protagonist, Anne, a human overseer, is lost here and trying to find her way back home. The demo opened up to a rebellion going down at a factory on the other side of town. But before Anne could get over there, a forgotling, a talking scarf, bashed through the door and tried to hide. Anne, believing the garment to be one of the rebels, banished him with some kind of magical power. I then made it to the factory where a talking lamp asked me to help rescue the other forgotlings.

The game’s anime cut-scenes and 1940s-inspired world look stunning. I never found out what the rebellion was all about, though I was drawn to their struggle and questioned Anne’s motivations. We’ll have to wait until the game’s release towards the end of the year to find out more.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is there a reason why the main character is not a female? Men mostly like to play action games or games with more combat. Women will rather play games like these. But for some reason women really don't like to play forced male characters while men usually don't have a problem playing female characters.
So you are making this game less sellable to your main audience by forcing a male protagonist.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Is there a reason why the main character is not a female? Men mostly like to play action games or games with more combat. Women will rather play games like these. But for some reason women really don't like to play forced male characters while men usually don't have a problem playing female characters.
So you are making this game less sellable to your main audience by forcing a male protagonist.
Maybe sales will speak differently, but so far girls and women have not been put off by the protagonist. Although it is true that men tend to think of women as being shallow and rather unintelligent and really focused on looks...

The character should make sense as you play him - not unlike in PS:Torment, where you play a shapeless mass of scar tissue.

EDIT: And sure - various topics are dealt from a male character´s perspective. Could most def be done from a woman´s perspective, but then it would be a very different game. One day maybe...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maybe sales will speak differently, but so far girls and women have not been put off by the protagonist. Although it is true that men tend to think of women as being shallow and rather unintelligent and really focused on looks...

The character should make sense as you play him - not unlike in PS:Torment, where you play a shapeless mass of scar tissue.

EDIT: And sure - various topics are dealt from a male character´s perspective. Could most def be done from a woman´s perspective, but then it would be a very different game. One day maybe...
Females that accepted to try a early version of a unknown game are not those that will be buying it on mass to try it. You cannot really base how popular the game will be with certain demographic based on super low number of unrepresentative cases.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I agree - hence the EDIT bit of the explanation. If you look at the Larian statistics for example - girls are sadly still playing less RPGs than boys. Candy Crush´s got them good!

There have been heavy discussions here at the studio on whether the protagonist should be this super stylized creep or maybe closer to a more relatable everyman that could maybeee even be viewed as sort of attractive. We´re rolling dice with our fingers firmly crossed and lips bitten and bleeding.

deama

Prophet
I agree - hence the EDIT bit of the explanation. If you look at the Larian statistics for example - girls are sadly still playing less RPGs than boys. Candy Crush´s got them good!
The only RPGs girls like are very social centric ones, like sims.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom