Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a huge success, has already sold nearly 500,000 copies

DeepOcean

Arcane
Imagine being a game developer coming to the Codex in 2017 and the first thing you read is some clownish caricature (a codex staff member no less) frothing at the mound ranting inanely without specific reason about how much he hates sexual deviancy in a random game thread thinking this somehow makes him the man. I'd get the hell out of here asap and can you blame them.
Man, I truly wish developers posted more on the codex, it is a lost opportunity, imagine if the Bioware staff posted here so we could tell them they are worthless emasculated fags every single day, it would be a dream becoming truth.

Metatron

Augur
Sorry I forgot Codex 2017 is a circlejerk between the same embittered edgelords ranting about everything being shit and women emasculating them via video games.
Larian is actually a good example of a company listening to their base and so are most other non AAA rpg developers simply because they need to to actually survive.

Ventidius

Arbiter
ArchAngel if you find a CRPG of the last decade with better combat than D:OS or D:OS 2, please tell me, I want to play that shit
Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats. Having said that DOS 2 is great so far (I've just escaped Fort Joy) but it's a shame that the speed is as slow as in DOS 1 (for fights and walking, it looks like slow motion).
AoD is v.cool but nah, the combat is not even close to that level imo. But indeed it's the closest competitor and that speaks volumes since it's still pretty far off.
Underrail is what others will say which is again very good combat wise but still not in such a level

What really holds back those two from being as good as D:OS 2 combat-wise is the lack of party/squad combat. I have hope for The New World in that regard.

Other than that, yeah, not many RPGs out there have combat that fills all of the checkboxes like this one does. Turn-based? Check. Squad-based? Check. Environmental interactivity? Check. Variety of spells, status effects, buffs, debuffs, moves - not only offensive/defensive but also utility? Check. Movement cost feedback? Check. Proper positioning system(e.g. non-blob)?Check. Varied encounter design? Check. Challenging encounters? Check.

You'd think it'd be a simple matter to get all of those things right at the same time, but the fact is precious few RPGs do. That is not to say there aren't a lot of RPGs out there with great combat, there are. But oftentimes they are so despite some major flaw, such as being RTwP or using blob combat. D:OS 2 shows us, perhaps for the first time since JA2, just how good RPG combat can be when it gets everything right.

Granted the first one also had most of those things, but IMO fell behind Underrail and AoD due to the lack of challenge, which neutralized many of its advantages. But now that has been rectified. If there is anything that could make the combat better at this point is maybe a system of aimed attacks a la Fallout, having variety of stances like JA2, and maybe hexagonal-grid positioning where the direction you are facing counts for more. But what it does have is more than enough to compensate for that. Oh and of course, even more challenging and varied encounter design, because one can never have enough of that.

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
What really holds back those two from being as good as D:OS 2 combat-wise is the lack of party/squad combat.
In Dungeon Rats you can have a party of up to 4 members.

Ah, true. I recently purchased it but haven't had a chance to play it. But my impression was, correct me if I am wrong, that it was a bit short on the content side?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah it's not exactly an "RPG" with the typical meaning of the term. It's more like a series of battles with some content in between

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
ArchAngel if you find a CRPG of the last decade with better combat than D:OS or D:OS 2, please tell me, I want to play that shit
Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats. Having said that DOS 2 is great so far (I've just escaped Fort Joy) but it's a shame that the speed is as slow as in DOS 1 (for fights and walking, it looks like slow motion).
AoD is v.cool but nah, the combat is not even close to that level imo. But indeed it's the closest competitor and that speaks volumes since it's still pretty far off.
Underrail is what others will say which is again very good combat wise but still not in such a level

What really holds back those two from being as good as D:OS 2 combat-wise is the lack of party/squad combat. I have hope for The New World in that regard.

Other than that, yeah, not many RPGs out there have combat that fills all of the checkboxes like this one does. Turn-based? Check. Squad-based? Check. Environmental interactivity? Check. Variety of spells, status effects, buffs, moves - not only offensive/defensive but also utility? Check. Movement cost feedback? Check. Proper positioning system(e.g. non-blob)?Check. Varied encounter design? Check. Challenging encounters? Check.

You'd think it'd be a simple matter to get all of those things right at the same time, but the fact is precious few RPGs do. That is not to say there aren't a lot of RPGs out there with great combat, there are. But oftentimes they are so despite some major flaw, such as being RTwP or using blob combat. D:OS 2 shows us, perhaps for the first time since JA2, just how good RPG combat can be when it gets everything right.

Granted the first one also had most of those things, but IMO fell behind Underrail and AoD due to the lack of challenge, which neutralized many of its advantages. But now that has been rectified. If there is anything that could make the combat better at this point is maybe a system of aimed attacks a la Fallout, and maybe hexagonal-grid positioning where the direction you are facing counts for more. But at that point you'd just be nitpicking. Oh and of course, even more challenging and varied encounter design, because one can never have enough of that.

The only thing I find lacking in the combat is the armor type interaction with debuffs. There should be more stuff that works through armor, but is instead covered by immunities.
I do like how deterministic it is. While I know how statistics work, it doesn't change the fact that using scarce resources to something that doesn't work due to bad roll feels infuriating.

Ventidius

Arbiter

Other than that, yeah, not many RPGs out there have combat that fills all of the checkboxes like this one does. Turn-based? Check. Squad-based? Check. Environmental interactivity? Check. Variety of spells, status effects, buffs, moves - not only offensive/defensive but also utility? Check. Movement cost feedback? Check. Proper positioning system(e.g. non-blob)?Check. Varied encounter design? Check. Challenging encounters? Check.

Granted the first one also had most of those things, but IMO fell behind Underrail and AoD due to the lack of challenge, which neutralized many of its advantages. But now that has been rectified. If there is anything that could make the combat better at this point is maybe a system of aimed attacks a la Fallout, and maybe hexagonal-grid positioning where the direction you are facing counts for more. But at that point you'd just be nitpicking. Oh and of course, even more challenging and varied encounter design, because one can never have enough of that.

The only thing I find lacking in the combat is the armor type interaction with debuffs. There should be more stuff that works through armor, but is instead covered by immunities.
I do like how deterministic it is. While I know how statistics work, it doesn't change the fact that using scarce resources to something that doesn't work due to bad roll feels infuriating.

Yeah, I feel it was more of a band aid than a proper solution to the balance issues of the first game. But the foundation was so solid that the result was great anyhow. And anyway, it is not like this issue, and the initiative problems, are worse than the issues many other combat-oriented RPGs have.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
This post epitomizes everything that is wrong with the codex in 2017.
I never even said anything about wanting romance-related stuff in games (I couldn't care less as long as they can be easily avoided (Aerie was the first one I kicked from the party in BG2) and aren't half the content like in nu-Bioware faggotry) and they aren't even such a big thing in this game, in fact: even the usual tear-everything-down crew doesn't seem to bothered by them.
No, you never said anything about that! Instead you came here to tell us how everybody who finds anything to criticize about the game - after paying for it right at release, I might add - can only do so because their life is completely pathetic. Unlike yours of course, which is the implication here, because gobbling up any shit with unanimous praise = leading a kickass life, finding flaws in what you just paid for = pathetic loser. It's the only explanation for having anything bad to say about the game.
Then you go on and take a shit on Fallout, Troika games and call the devs dumbfucks. The irony eludes you, of course.

But that doesn't matter because obviously you haven't played a minute of the game yet but that's okay because that's not what 2017 Codex is about so that doesn't stop you from going into a completely unrelated rant about how much you hate all that stuff.
It's true, i haven't played it, that's the reason why you don't see me participating in any discussions about the game. After seeing some of the screenshots and general reports in the release thread, the likelyhood that I will buy this game, is fairly low.

Good for you big man, you really showed those nasty faggots with that post!
Yeah, I bet they're mad right now.

Imagine being a game developer coming to the Codex in 2017 and the first thing you read is some clownish caricature (a codex staff member no less) frothing at the mound ranting inanely without specific reason about how much he hates sexual deviancy in a random game thread thinking this somehow makes him the man. I'd get the hell out of here asap and can you blame them.
I had a very good reason - I just hate braindead fucktards such as you. You take a shit on Troika, I take a shit on you. And yes, please fuck off to RPGWatch or reddit and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I am really fucking glad for them. It dont really like the game that much, but they have the talent and now the success to build upon.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well done Larian for entertaining (especially) the casual crowds and making money out of it. Quite the magician's trick...

Now when it comes to actual RPG fans, some of the design decisions, while looking cool at first sight, should've ringed alarm bells very soon after being trialed out.

Physical and Magic Armor, making (forcing) you to decide to either go for a full fighter party or full magic party as to not split the damage. On tactical it's a must, with the scaling and bloated stats of even the most mundane of mobs, especially during and after Act 2.

What was the idea behind initiative only counting for one character? Was supposed to be "tactical" and "rpg", not a bar brawl with you, me, you, me and let's see who's still standing at the end of the fight.

Save scumming on every chest, quest, boss drop since you flood us with greens on tactical. The average vendor having better inventory (and better chances for purples) than the drops from that tough boss you've been eyeing for the past few levels.

Speaking of tough fights, best strategy remains chestmancing with a x tonne chest, hands down, never fails. But...meh.

Not mentioning the rest as this is enough for me to give it a go again only at the enhanced edition and not even mentioning the crashes and bugs, that's what the patches are for.

I just received my physical copy of the game and it says in bright neon letter on the cover that this game was not designed with autism in mind.

Gecos

Learned
Well done Larian for entertaining (especially) the casual crowds and making money out of it. Quite the magician's trick...

Now when it comes to actual RPG fans, some of the design decisions, while looking cool at first sight, should've ringed alarm bells very soon after being trialed out.

Physical and Magic Armor, making (forcing) you to decide to either go for a full fighter party or full magic party as to not split the damage. On tactical it's a must, with the scaling and bloated stats of even the most mundane of mobs, especially during and after Act 2.

What was the idea behind initiative only counting for one character? Was supposed to be "tactical" and "rpg", not a bar brawl with you, me, you, me and let's see who's still standing at the end of the fight.

Save scumming on every chest, quest, boss drop since you flood us with greens on tactical. The average vendor having better inventory (and better chances for purples) than the drops from that tough boss you've been eyeing for the past few levels.

Speaking of tough fights, best strategy remains chestmancing with a x tonne chest, hands down, never fails. But...meh.

Not mentioning the rest as this is enough for me to give it a go again only at the enhanced edition and not even mentioning the crashes and bugs, that's what the patches are for.

I just received my physical copy of the game and it says in bright neon letter on the cover that this game was not designed with autism in mind.

As a Larian Patron KS backer I still haven't received my Collector's physical copy. But I can tell you without reading any fine print anywhere that blind fanboy-ism isn't good in the long run for any game franchise. You relish on what's good but you have to criticize the brain farts. But since these brain farts seem to be sound decisions to you, I'll take my Rain Man role as you wished but not before cautioning you to be careful when swallowing that big Larian dildo, I know it's exciting but you may just choke on it at some point ... if not now, maybe with the next game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom