Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, how do we rate D:OS 2?

How do we rate D:OS 2?

• Excellent - one of the best RPG's in a long while, no flaws, 10/10

Votes: 42 18.4%
  • Good - an above average experience with few flaws, though there are some

Votes: 104 45.6%
  • Even - it's a middling game that doesn't excell at anything, but isn't bad at anything either

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Uneven - It's an uneven game that does certain things very well, others terribly

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Bad - it may have a few good ideas, but mostly it's not that good

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Terrible - everything about it sucks

Votes: 14 6.1%

• Total voters

Vibalist

Arcane
Now that the game has been out for a little while, how do we rate it?

I know these polls are sort of redundant, but my feeling is that option 4 (uneven) best describes D:OS 2. I feel it's a commendable effort to bring back certain old school RPG elements - turn based combat, open quest structure, limited handholding -, but that the game drops the ball in certain key areas, such as itemization, usefulness of certain talents/stats, level scaling and stat inflation.

Certain combat mechanics - the armor system and initiative - are also - generously put - questionable. OTOH we are dealing with a game that imho has a certain freedom and playfulness to it titles like PoE completely lacks. If nothing else, the game is wildly unbalanced in a sort of amusing way, and it can be fun to break it and just go nuts with crazy min-maxed builds, party compostions, teleport spam, pickpocketing everyone, entering areas before you're supposed to be there, etc. The music is also decent and I do enjoy the graphical style. The story at least engages me on a basic level, even though it isn't exactly Mask of the Betrayer.

So, what's the consensus here? Are we having fun? Or is the game only really good for what it signifies (return of old school RPG's) and what it promises?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lol the ratings are funny. A game can only be perfect 10/10, above average and then all sorts of shit?
I'm between Good and Excellent in any case

Vibalist

Arcane
'Even' and 'Uneven' aren't synonymous with shit. It's the rating you'd give if you think the game is mediocre, but still worth your time.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'm just saying that "one of the best RPG's in a long while" != "no flaws, 10/10"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kind of a weird poll, it's arranged liked it's supposed to be a "Rate this game from 0 to 5" poll but the answers don't reflect that. Eg, going by the description, a wide variety of people could vote for "Uneven" regardless of how positive or negative they are about the game, but it also feels like voting it a 2/5.

Vibalist

Arcane
I suppose. Any way to change it? The edit poll option doesn't seem to allow for removing some of the choices.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I voted "Good - an above average experience with few flaws, though there are some" but my real opinion is "Excellent - one of the best RPG's in a long while, with few flaws, though there are some"

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I don't understand the "we" part of the question. Should I vote how I feel, as a thinking individual? Or should I vote how I think the retarded mass of monkey console players who sometimes happen to play games with lite rpg elements and make up the majority of the codex community?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't understand the "we" part of the question. Should I vote how I feel, as a thinking individual? Or should I vote how I think the retarded mass of monkey console players who sometimes happen to play games with lite rpg elements and make up the majority of the codex community?

Vote with your legal guardian.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Certainly not perfect "10/10", nothing is, and there are a few elements that aren't to my personal taste, but no RPG has pulled off the sort of game DOS2 was meant to be better.

The thing I love most about OS 1 and 2, and what I hope will be its lasting legacy in the minds of future RPG devs, is that it puts the core systems first and shows that they're allowed to be good. There have been many, many RPGs where the combat was boring, bad, half-broken, or had little interactivity besides minmaxing correctly at character creation. Instead of playing the game for the game, we were "meant" to play for the things which should be secondary window dressing- companions, romances, story, C&C, the writing, whatever. What's really impressive about OS2 is that if all of those secondary things were stripped away, and the game was nothing but a turn-based squad tactics game like nu-XCOM, OS2 would still be by far the better game, even though nu-XCOM is a AAA release that focuses on nothing but the combat.

Metatron

Augur
8/10: overall fine and their ambition is admirable but some quest breaking on you and higher difficulty combat needing tweaking keep it from greatness. Still didn't get itemization right either. The foundations are here for a 9/10 game. As usual play the enhanced edition or 3.0 version in 2 years for the best iteration of the game.

deama

Prophet
Yeah, I'd give it around a 7.5/10. The armour system needed some more tweaking, itemization could've been better, stats/skills could have been more interesting instead of just +damage, and the gated level content could have been less obvious.

I think if they worked on those then the game could've achieved a 9/10. In order to achieve even higher, they would have to have made a MOTB level story.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Ewww, BURN!!!! You got me but good! I'm going to have really reach deep down to come up with a response of equal zinginess. I got it - you are a poop face.

Hyperion

Arcane
Give it a month or two, and there will be a 100 page thread dedicated solely to bitching about its flaws, and tons of shit needs to be fixed in order to make it playable. Once the new car smell wears off the true score will probably be closer to 1 vote choice down on average.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Ewww, BURN!!!! You got me but good! I'm going to have really reach deep down to come up with a response of equal zinginess. I got it - you are a poop face.

Wow, rude. You didn't have to take it that far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom