Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Anybody praising the itemization in D:OS 2 must have gotten a lobotomy.

It's absolutely fucking dogshit. Beyond dogshit in fact. The game SPRAYS, literally sprays you with shit items from everywhere, shit loot and trash loot, that your OCD behavoir must pick up, but never will use.
Add to the fact, that the UBER-KEWL legendary item you got at lvl 11, is useless again at lvl 12, because you found a green WATER-HAMMER OF THE REKKENING, which has far better stats. It feels really really bad and tacked on.

Add to the frustration, there's no highlight button for interactables, which makes me furious. I circumvent it mildly, by choose a spell, and seeing the yellow outline on some things, so I know what I can click on.

The item micromanagement in itself is a minigame that takes hours between characters, bartering, picking up, leaving etc. It simply SHOULD not have a home in a serious cRPG, in an ARPG perhaps, because that's one of the core mechanics of an ARPG, NOT a real cRPG.

The combat is slow, the animations are slow, and walking/running is slow. I wager, I would probably cut my playtime in half just from those things. Which again, shouldn't really be there, if you're a serious AAA dev. Don't waste your consumers time. Priority nr. 1.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems I'm doing the good thing not playing the game yet (due to not having the time). By the time I get to play it in a year, they will hopefully fix these issues.

Last edited:

Akka

Novice
I think what Sawyer says is true but it has mainly to do with how vendors are in almost all CRPGs ever. They feel tremendously generic, almost like spreadsheets that you go through and pick stuff that have good stats.
If they actually made shops interesting and have them offer fewer but more unique items which they will talk about and so on, then buying stuff would be much more interesting
b) Verisimilitude-people raging about why these chumps have expensive magic items in the first place, unless it's specifically a high-end locale with the highest security
I think BG2 did pretty well on this front (excluding Throne of Bhaal, which was just ridiculously over the top) : the items you can buy tend to be rather generic in generic shops, the very powerful ones are in specially exotic ones (like the curiosity shop), and they tend to fit the place they are bought in.

---

Ok, Alexandar fight, my experience. This is the most-faggot battle I've seen in the game so far. What's the stupidest of all things -- you barely have a chance if you cheese and are level 7, which level you can only reach by completing nearly every side quest. This is complete shit, it means there is hardly any content in the whole Act 1 which can be considered optional. Simply moronic. Whoever designed this combat apparently had no idea what party is supposed to fight it. It's amazing how this combat passed QA.
I must have lucked out on this fight, because it was one of the easiest boss I had in the game (of course I rushed outside the courtyard to abuse LoS and leave Alexandar's team deal with the worm while I was pelting them from around the corner). I had much more trouble with the f-ing Voidwoken ambush.

You want a TRULY broken fight that should never have left QA ? Wait 'till you encounter the chick in the very old ruins. THIS one is absolutely retarded : she has insanely high initiative, so she always starts first, and proceed to spam about 12 AP worth of spells and invocation on your head before stunning your entire party with AoE lightning, after which her summons hit you three times each for godawful damage, after which you MIGHT have a character able to play, IF he hasn't been stunned or killed by then, after which the four other summons with which the fight start are tearing your ass.
And then the second round begins and you realize you have half the party dead and didn't do a thing yet. That's one fight I ragequit after one hour.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I'm only level 6 and in the swamp right now. I got done with D:OS EE right before I started D:OS2 so initial impressions:

Combat: I'm liking D:OS2 combat better in every way than the first one. I'm not playing tactician so I won't speak to that. But so far the added element of height advantages and armor has added quite a bit of complexity I think. In D:OS1 I only remember bothering to set positioning prior to battle one time and that was the Braccus Rex fight because he totaled my team with one meteor storm. I've done so multiple times in D:OS2, mainly due to the height advantage with added range and damage for a Huntsman type character. I agree with a lot of people that splitting armor into two varieties is a weakness as it results in wanting to stack one particular damage type for your team. They could change it into one armor type with physical/magical armor penalties as percentages. Or they could spread around magical/physical damage types amongst all the schools rather than Warfare targeting physical all the time and almost all the spell schools targeting magical armor. I like the fact that damage spells play a larger part early on with CC being a sort of mid-level choice after stripping armor away. This feels better than instantly starting off with CC.

The World: The first felt like a light hearted humorous fantasy. The second feels like a dark fantasy with dark humor. I prefer the second. The real double edged sword of Larian's world building is that I don't care much about the characters which makes it feel detached but also fertile ground for roleplaying a variety of characters for me. This is the first game I've ever pickpocketed NPC"s that I like. It's also the type of game that I can roll with anything that happens and not feel like I fucked up huge.

Origin Characters: Too early for me to tell how they'll shape out but its nice that selecting any one of them and talking to other NPC's or interactive objects can play out entirely differently.
I talked to a distraught girl in the swamps with my main character and got her backstory but little else. Talk to her with Lohse by accident and sing her a song, she removes all our collars.

Thievery: I'm more than impressed with pickpocketing. I like that there is a set amount you can steal based on skill and then can't go any further. They search any nearby party member which I usually allow until later on they accuse me anyway or find other stolen junk on me. This system isn't perfect but I'm more than impressed it even got to this level. As a side benefit I now actually peruse merchant stocks for a while to figure out what I actually want to buy versus what I want to steal.

Pacing: Cyseal and that particular zone had odd stretches of non-combat followed by stretches of pure combat. Instead of a big town I now get a ghetto with combat intermingled. Much better pacing I think, at least early on. The odd warping to the End of Time in D:OS1 rubbed me the wrong way as well. It went from a local murder mystery to universal salvation. This seems to start relatively small and hint at the bigger fantasy elements with the Godwoken and Divine revelations.

Miscellaneous stuff:
-The game placing stuff on my hotbars is irritating
-I immediately turned the Narrator voice off and thats much better
-Camera issues have me fighting against tree foliage and other bullshit on a somewhat regular basis.
-Several hotkeys aren't saving when changed.
-Pet Pal once again seems like a must have talent.

it's early but I'm extremely impressed. I'm not feeling disappointed in any aspect yet.

MWaser

Arbiter
They could change it into one armor type with physical/magical armor penalties as percentages.
It absolutely has to be split. Sure, at first it seems ridiculous and that it would heavily promote focusing on one damage type, but there's one thing to make note of: different enemies vary heavily between their magical and physical armor scores. As such, you have enemies with absolutely ridiculous physical armor or magical armor, which would take forever to break through, but those will often have severely reduced values for the other armor. In the same manner, if there was only 1 armor type, it would take longer to break through, but once you did, it would usually be no problem to keep the enemies permanently disabled. And, as a last thing, having just 1 armor type would heavily encourage focus fire on a singular enemy to take them down, while I feel as if the armors exist to discourage that in particular if you have a party which is capable of dishing out both physical and magical damage.

Mind you, I'm not really too fond of the design, but given the core mechanics choices they made, undoing some things like that would completely fuck the game over backwards.

Raapys

Arcane
You are one of those plebian paste-eaters that are boggling my fucking mind right now, because what you describe is literally how it does not work. It's a round-robin turn order, and no matter your or the enemy's initiative, you will be alternating turns. Let's say your group of 4 has an initiative of 10, 11, 12, and 13 respectively. You are meeting 8 enemies that all have an initiative of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.
Yeah, the system is insane. It's especially noticeable when you're soloing the game. Say you're fighting two enemies, both which have higher initiative than you. Until you kill an enemy, the rounds will look like this:

1. Enemy#1
2. You
3. Enemy#2

Eventually, you're gonna kill an enemy. If you're stupid enough to kill Enemy#1 first, then this is what happens:

Enemy#1 takes his turn
You kill Enemy#1, thus changing the turn order for next round
Enemy#2 takes his turn
Enemy#2 takes his turn

Yes, two turns in a row, because the last enemy is transferred to position #1 next round. If instead you kill enemy#2 first, enemy#1 just gets his one normal turn.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You see, Larian gave me feeling like it is the only devs that actually hear the players and all the feedback, and worked according to it.

Obsidian also listen to the (proper) feedback and implement changes. PoE changed its design philosophy 2 times since it came out based on player feedback and the combat became better even for grognards. Larian aren't some altruistic angels here to herald the inclusion of fan opinion. Not to mention that we don't know if they are going to fix the massive issues with this game, so hold your horses.

Bluer

Novice
Is the savegame crash common in act 2?

Here is from my steamforum:

the game crashes when loading save after a certain time. here is how i figured it: - every time i load a save that's made after crossing the bridge (with the troll) to cloisterwood, the game crashes. i tried different methods dealing with the troll (pay full fee, tell a story but not fighting). everything still crash. - i tired auto save, quicksaves, etc every save crashes to desktop exactly when it is "cleaning up level" - the crash doesn't happen when i enter cloisterwood trough th efallen tree trunk. i also have tried verifying files integrity twice still crash everytime i do that certain action my specs:
gtx 1080

i5 4670
windows 10
8 GB RAM

Have you tried deleting the save you load from then saving, and then reload from the save you've just made? Maybe even try deleting all your auto-saves in case the game tries to make a new autosave when you cross the bridge and that's causing the crash when it tries to rewrite over an autosave or whatever it does. It's that I remember when the game first released there were save issues wherein the save files start to bloat and it was causing loading issues.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
speakung of shitty itemisation, while browsing through the dos1 thread in search for something, i found this:

Oj0PP1I.png

good old times :negative:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You are one of those plebian paste-eaters that are boggling my fucking mind right now, because what you describe is literally how it does not work. It's a round-robin turn order, and no matter your or the enemy's initiative, you will be alternating turns. Let's say your group of 4 has an initiative of 10, 11, 12, and 13 respectively. You are meeting 8 enemies that all have an initiative of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.
Yeah, the system is insane. It's especially noticeable when you're soloing the game. Say you're fighting two enemies, both which have higher initiative than you. Until you kill an enemy, the rounds will look like this:

1. Enemy#1
2. You
3. Enemy#2

Eventually, you're gonna kill an enemy. If you're stupid enough to kill Enemy#1 first, then this is what happens:

Enemy#1 takes his turn
You kill Enemy#1, thus changing the turn order for next round
Enemy#2 takes his turn
Enemy#2 takes his turn

Yes, two turns in a row, because the last enemy is transferred to position #1 next round. If instead you kill enemy#2 first, enemy#1 just gets his one normal turn.
There's many other issues, and I'm doing a bit of a write-up right now, but there's things like:

You summon something. The summon moves right after you. But then at the next turn, it gets shuffled into the round-robin turn order, meaning that one of your characters can be pushed back as much as three turns, suffering additional attacks that it would not otherwise have done. Summoning an ally, presumably done to improve your situation, might end up screwing you completely, and there's really no way to tell beforehand. The system punished you for buffing. This becomes very obvious as a Summoner especially, since Totems are extremely weak, but get shuffled into the turn order too, so that "lump" of potential "overflow" opponents could end up picking them off one-by-one in a single round before they can even possibly act in that round.

You kill an opponent towards the end of the round. Because of the round-robin turn order, because you killed a weak opponent, a much stronger opponent is now reshuffled in the next round (coming right up!), and moves earlier than expected, instead of (like you likely assumed) the killed enemy simply being taken out of the turn order. You actually screwed yourself, because now that much stronger enemy moves before your wizard, and kills him before he has a time to act. While this is (as opposed to the summoning situation) entirely predictable, it's almost impossible to actually capitalize on, because you likely attack and kill whomever you have an opportunity to kill, however, the point remains; you conquered an enemy and your situation got worse. It actually punished you for success.

There's also the issue with the constantly and rapidly changing landscape, which is just an enormous mess in a game where they've both nerfed the power of surface effects, but also played up the prevalence and availability and sheer number of different surface effects. So in a single turn, almost nobody is going to have a chance to capitalize on any one change - they end up reacting to the change from turn to turn. One guy sets everything on fire, the next one puts it out, the third guy electrifies it, and the fourth one throws oil on the ground, the fifth one removes the oil and moves over it. And it just keeps going like that. The only ones that have a chance to, for example, throw an oil barrel at the enemy and then at the next turn having a fire wizard set it on fire are the ones at the very end of the turn order. If you actually threw out a barrel on the battlefield, odds are that the enemy would simply throw it back at you.

Before I got a chance to examine the game and notice the major issues with it, my SO was already all in planning-mode about how we should plan ourselves to be complimentary, and how if she was using fire magic, I should take something to use earth magic, so if I made some oil, she could set it on fire. But in D:OS2, that doesn't happen. What happens is that I throw oil, and the enemy either remove it or avoid it and set it on fire themselves. And this doesn't just affect the player - it affects the AI too. The AI has the capability to do these things, I see them do it, it's actually quite awesome. But if they were to (like me) throw out a barrel from somewhere in front of them, I'd drop it on their fucking faces the next turn. The only time set-ups like this can be done reliable, to see a plan and see it take shape, to get that rush of "FUCK YEEAAAAH BURN YOU FUCKING CUNTS, YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING, NOW DID YOU?!" is when you're at the absolute end of the turn order in a little clump. And 99 times out of 100, that's just going to be the enemy in one of those fights where they come busting in from every direction at the drop of a hat as the BBEG twirls his mustache and goes "Hohoho, you didn't see this AMBUSH coming, did you?".

D:OS2 has many minor issues, but two things needs to fucking DIE, and it's the round-robin turn orders and the armor system. The armor system will require an "Enhanced Edition" but the round-robin turn orders could be fixed by Larian today.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just out of curiosity - anyone got the "Seven Altars" achievement? I.e. "pray at all seven altars on the Nameless Isle". I prayed at all of them, got the relevant journal entries but no achievement. Kindda curious if it's bugged. Thx.

Israfael

Arcane
I simply view initiative as a negative stat, especially for summoners - it's not just sequence reshuffles, it's also the fact that summons (for me) work better if they are used on an already set elemental damage surface (and it really helps the incarnate if it's fire immune and does not get killed while walking over 55 damage/tile ocean of cursed fire (at lvl 11)). But i think YMMV with the summons, since my pet goes twice in a very short time (end of the round + start of the round) and it does far more damage (and has CC) than the summoner himself

ukdouble1

Educated
A Trial for all Seasons quest.
I have cast all needed spells (each totem talked with my char), but nobody appears. I must do something else?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I simply view initiative as a negative stat, especially for summoners - it's not just sequence reshuffles, it's also the fact that summons (for me) work better if they are used on an already set elemental damage surface (and it really helps the incarnate if it's fire immune and does not get killed while walking over 55 damage/tile ocean of cursed fire (at lvl 11)). But i think YMMV with the summons, since my pet goes twice in a very short time (end of the round + start of the round) and it does far more damage (and has CC) than the summoner himself
Thank you. I hadn't considered that. I had considered Initiative a potentially negative stat, because since the only thing it determines is the internal order your team moves in, you might end up with an undesirable order of turns (which is a much bigger issue if it forces you back in D:OS2 since it guarantees another enemy will move before you). But for a summoner to move early could mean that there's no surfaces yet, at all, and a summoner is at it's core dependant on synergies with other allies so they can set the scene.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there any GUD and balanced youtube reviews yet? Some that doesn't shill and slurp Larian cock.
Basically you mean reviews that agree with your opinion, right?

No, I mean balanced, objective and fair reviews. The good and the bad. Most in this thread, seems to be oblivious or blind to the apparant flaws of the series.
Don't worry, we have read your complaints multiple times, they were duly noted

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Is there gay propaganda in every game now? Ifan just tried to boink me in the ass without me ever hinting that I wanted his crossbow shoved deep in my turd factory.

So what gives you belgian cock suckers,you want everyone to smoke the pipe:selfhate:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is there gay propaganda in every game now? Ifan just tried to boink me in the ass without me ever hinting that I wanted his crossbow shoved deep in my turd factory.

So what gives you belgian cock suckers,you want everyone to smoke the pipe:selfhate:

Blame the Irish on this one. Charlene Putney wrote Ifan, Stephen Rooney wrote Fane. Sarah Baylus, an American tranplant first to Belgium and then to Ireland wrote Lohse. Kevin VanOrd, a game journalist transplant from San Francisco to Belgium wrote Red Prince. Devin Doyle (a total cuck) wrote Sebille. I haven't been able to find out who wrote Beast, but I assume he was given to John Corcoran (I messed up, VanOrd wrote him. Apparently he did get two?). Every writer got a companion (except Jan the writing director who likely doesn't do much or possibly any actual writing anymore).

Edit: Apparently Dosselaer wrote Red Prince and Sebille, okay then.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom