Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Those who've played through to the end. Which companions are the best / least worst story wise?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Those who've played through to the end. Which companions are the best / least worst story wise?

I think Fane is the most interesting, his story is directly intertwined with the main plot, unlike the other Origin characters. Red Prince chasing his fuckmate of dreams is kindda entertaining too. Sebille and Beast are pretty boring. No idea about Irfan and Lohse, didn't play those.

Hey guys on what level did you ended?I was level 21 when i killed the retarded idiots at the end.Also do you find talets to be tottaly useless outside of two,pawn and here and now?

Yup, 21.

As for talents - Pawn for fighters and Glass Cannon for Rangers and Mages are a must. Opportunist and Hothead are nice. I've also found out Morning Person is very useful in the late game, when your characters have 5000+ HP (on Tactician at least, on lower difficulties you'll stop dying halfway through the game so that's not a problem). Picture of Health for your fighters ditto. Living Armor when you don't know what to chose. The rest is garbage, including Pet Pal.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Everyone but Sebille are at least tolerable . Mind though that Fane is prety edgy and prince starts ok , but his story takes a massive nosedive in act 2 . Beast and Ifan might be generic , but at least they are not annoying , haven't played with Lohse but she seems fine , I say it should be safe to go with her . Also playing an origin is a big difference to having them in your party you will be able to act differently , like finding peaceful solutions to their quests and otherwise .

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think Larian does this, but games seem to be increasingly front-loaded in order to skew review scores

This. As for whether or not Larian does this, that is an open question isn't it.

Like jesus christ, I really like the game too, but fucking 10/10? No issues? Fucking hell.

Nah, I've always thought full score shouldn't mean a perfect game. NO game is perfect therefore full score would be utterly meaningless.

DOS2 is certainly not a full score game in my book but Dark Souls 1 is and that game has a RANGE of issues.

Plus numerical scores are retarded anyway.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The rest is garbage, including Pet Pal.
Pet Pal unlocks some of the best content in the game, provides alternative hints, solutions and even pet pak specific quests.

Best content? Name me one good animal quest.

For me Pet Pal was utterly disappointing in this game. In DOS1 it was kindda fun but the animal quests in this game, not to mention the stupid writing and voices, are total garbage. Like, lead the rat to the turtle in love. Quest design IGN 10/10 GOTY. Plus vast majority of animal interaction is pure fluff. Nah, sorry, not seeing it.

V_K

Arcane
when the catacombs under aleroth aren't at all fully representative of the whole deal
They are quite representative of the Rivertown sewers, or wastelands, or immaculate cathedral, or any dark forest dungeons... I wouldn't call DD a bad Diablo clone, but it is a Diablo clone in some pretty major aspects and even some UI elements.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Btw after finishing the game I got an achievement - "Completed the game on the Explorer mode". ON THE EXPLORER MODE?!1!1! I'm 95% certain I went for Classic during the character creation. Must be a bug. Must be. I know for sure there is one other bugged achievement, the one related to the altars on the Nameless Isle.

You probably got achievement for Explorer mode simultaniously with achievement for Classic mode but there were probably some other achievements at the same time so Steam didn't show you all of them. Check your profile.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I quit DivDiv shortly after the first dungeon. :smug:

TIL act 4 is just pretty bugged in this game. NPCs like Jahan literally don't appear, and the area has actual issues. Feels super unfinished and none of the reviews picked up on that fact because nobody got that far in Divinity before filing copy.

D:OS 2 feeling very Fargo in more ways than one.

Just asking, what did Avellone write?

Fane's backstory. That's it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw after finishing the game I got an achievement - "Completed the game on the Explorer mode". ON THE EXPLORER MODE?!1!1! I'm 95% certain I went for Classic during the character creation. Must be a bug. Must be. I know for sure there is one other bugged achievement, the one related to the altars on the Nameless Isle.

You probably got achievement for Explorer mode simultaniously with achievement for Classic mode but there were probably some other achievements at the same time so Steam didn't show you all of them. Check your profile.

It's GOG baby. And yeah, you're right, I've got both. Jesus.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I've also found out Morning Person is very useful in the late game, when your characters have 5000+ HP (on Tactician at least, on lower difficulties you'll stop dying halfway through the game so that's not a problem). Picture of Health for your fighters ditto. Living Armor when you don't know what to chose. The rest is garbage, including Pet Pal.
Yeah, I've actually found one single positive aspect of the round-robin turn orders, and it's that Morning Person isn't completely useless in the same way it was in D:OS1. Because often when you resurrect someone, since the enemy is guaranteed to move after you, they often simply pick off the one you resurrected, and Morning Person practically stops that. However, the round-robin turn orders have also resulted in me often just delaying until the end of a round to resurrect, which means that everyone resurrected gets to move in a lump on the end.

In some situations, this has given me 5 uninterrupted moves in a row. Often, it's better to simply weather the enemy by delaying your turn and then you get to move in a row anyway - the exact thing Larian tried to avoid. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove the ability to delay your turn once they realize this.

Also, I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Pet Pal. Now, I think it's a bad talent for several reasons, because it's the only one that gates content like that, and I consider it almost essential - way, way, way more essential than in D:OS1, where the effects were much less pronounced - but the content itself is awesome. I genuinely think that the animals have better content and better voice-acting than the vast majority of the rest of the game, and whomever was in charge of that at Larian did a fucking stellar job.

They should fire the guys that thought of the armor system and the round-robin turn orders and give their salaries to whomever was in charge of the animals.
Hmm just made it to Arx and I am getting the SJWism in full force... Game was "okay" until now really putting in on thick here.
Yeah, it's pretty appalling.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Hmm just made it to Arx and I am getting the SJWism in full force... Game was "okay" until now really putting in on thick here.

I present you Ifan's writer

Now I know why Ifan suddenly wanted to shove his crossbow deep inside my turd cutter.I know we shouldn't judge people by how they look but fuck me,stop hiring these fucking weirdos

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

I present you Ifan's writer

Now I know why Ifan suddenly wanted to shove his crossbow deep inside my turd cutter.I know we shouldn't judge people by how they look but fuck me,stop hiring these fucking weirdos

Lol, that looks weird to you? Have you been outside in the last few years?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are obsessing about this Ifan thing though, I think you are sexually confused since that moment. You have told us in all possible ways that Ifan wanted to fuck your character, WE DONT CARE.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
You are obsessing about this Ifan thing though, I think you are sexually confused since that moment. You have told us in all possible ways that Ifan wanted to fuck your character, WE DONT CARE.

Who is ''we'' you fucking cock sucker,you speak for everyone on the internet or you have multiple personality disorder ?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also, I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Pet Pal. Now, I think it's a bad talent for several reasons, because it's the only one that gates content like that, and I consider it almost essential - way, way, way more essential than in D:OS1, where the effects were much less pronounced - but the content itself is awesome.

I'm genuinely, authentically baffled by this. Seriously.

Essential? My memory is pretty fresh and I don't remember ANYTHING essential about Pet Pal. Vast majority of animal dialogues is pure fluff. Sometimes you get a nugget of information about where to find what but it's usually superfluous if you explore reasonably thoroughly. You can get some pet summons (a cat and the condor I think) which are pretty useless unless you have high Summoning. And if you have high Summoning you always want to summon the Boner Widow anyway since you can't have more than one summon per character.

Plus the writing and voices are terrible, unless you straight up enjoy chipmunk chirping or an occasional actress trying to voice a turtle with bad female barytone.

Anyway name me a few animal quests that are essential or awesome in your opinion and we can discuss it in depth in the time honoured Codex tradition.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Also, I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Pet Pal. Now, I think it's a bad talent for several reasons, because it's the only one that gates content like that, and I consider it almost essential - way, way, way more essential than in D:OS1, where the effects were much less pronounced - but the content itself is awesome.

I'm genuinely, authentically baffled by this. Seriously.

Essential? My memory is pretty fresh and I don't remember ANYTHING essential about Pet Pal. Vast majority of animal dialogues is pure fluff. Sometimes you get a nugget of information about where to find what but it's usually superfluous if you explore reasonably thoroughly. You can get some pet summons (a cat and the condor I think) which are pretty useless unless you have high Summoning. And if you have high Summoning you always want to summon the Bone Widow anyway since you can't have more than one summon per character.

Plus the writing and voices are terrible, unless you straight up enjoy chipmunk chirping or an occasional actress trying to voice a turtle with bad female barytone.

Anyway name me a few animal quests that are essential or awesome in your opinion and we can discuss it in depth in the time honoured Codex tradition.
I actually have found that most animals that are close to quest areas offer important hints as to how to approach said areas.
Like what traps lie ahead, enemies, help to solve riddles and so on.
Obviously everything is doable without them too, but they still do offer this help

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I actually have found that most animals that are close to quest areas offer important hints as to how to approach said areas.

Sure there's information. I disagree tho it is important in any way, shape or form. Yeah I seem to remember animals are fleshed out a tiny bit better on the Fort Joy island, but as the game progresses there's almost nothing useful or even interesting about them. I challenge you to give me ONE marginally useful animal interaction on the Nameless Isle or in Arx. ONE.

Most of the animal interaction is like that bear cub in Act 1. As someone already pointed out, they exist just to be sad.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

I disagree this information is important. Sure, I seem to remember animals are fleshed out a tiny bit better on the Fort Joy island, but as the game progresses there's almost nothing useful or even interesting about them. On Nameless Isle and in Arx there's almost zero useful animal interaction. Zero.

Most of the animal interaction is like that bear cub in Act 1. As someone already pointed out, they exist just to be sad.
The bear cub was the most useless pet pal situation in the island..

Off the top of my head now, in the first island:
- A rat tells you how to solve the riddle in Braccus Rex Armoury (but the riddle is stupid easy anyway)
- Another rat suicides and shows you how Shriekers "work" before the Alexandar combat
- Another rat or rabbit "warns" you about the tough Voidwoken battle

I mean it's not like they offer vital information but they are of "use"

* It will take me a looooooooong time to reach Arx so it will take a while to accept your challenge :dealwithit:

Also quests like Buddy and Emma and the void chicken, freeing the caged to be source hound in fort joy etc. give lots of xp allowing you to level up and in turn tackle higher encounters earlier. more xp is ALWAYS essential. :obviously:

Note that I have barely explored 1/3rd of driftwood so don't have many examples.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Apparently, my post has reached Plebbit, and it's reactions are all too painfully predictable. Still, surprising that there's actually some people there that seem to have taken the time to read it. I think my favourite part is either the guy that TLDR:d it but clearly hadn't understood some of the sections and why I said it couldn't be TLDR:d, and then the faggots that start arguing based on that TLDR instead of the actual post, or the guy that literally and overtly cares more about the delivery and his virtue signalling than any of the arguments.

I'm honestly shocked that nobody has gone HE'S A FUCKING NAZI REEEEEE yet. Hope for humanity?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Pet Pal talent is garbage in 99.99% of the situations,maybe the animals should tell my why in every encounter trash mobs spawn out of the bosses ass,that would be valuable information

That talent is just worthless fluff,like 50% of the content in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom