Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Apparently, my post has reached Plebbit, and it's reactions are all too painfully predictable. Still, surprising that there's actually some people there that seem to have taken the time to read it. I think my favourite part is either the guy that TLDR:d it but clearly hadn't understood some of the sections and why I said it couldn't be TLDR:d, and then the faggots that start arguing based on that TLDR instead of the actual post, or the guy that literally and overtly cares more about the delivery and his virtue signalling than any of the arguments.

I'm honestly shocked that nobody has gone HE'S A FUCKING NAZI REEEEEE yet. Hope for humanity?

I especially like how you can't spend five minutes on reddit without someone calling someone else "toxic".

MWaser

Arbiter
Cyseal was also front-loaded. So, yeah, Larian do do this, even Divine Divinity's first areas are better than the other half.

which i guess is why so many people say 'i quit at the starter dungeon'?
i was obviously referring to divdiv you morons

check any thread related to that game and you'll see tons of folks saying 'zomg game's a p bad diablo clone i quit at first dunjin', when the catacombs under aleroth aren't at all fully representative of the whole deal
Aren't representative in that it gets better or worse? Because dear god the length and annoyance of the Aleroth Catacombs caused me to take 2 months before I got out of there barely playing it, and then I did a lategame area out of order because I failed to notice that I had a map.

jungl

Augur
I don't know how this game got a 10 by gamespot. Divinity is generic as fuck tolkien setting with stories like become the dragon become god. I guess eurofags eat this shit up or something.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I quit DivDiv shortly after the first dungeon. :smug:

Just asking, what did Avellone write?

Fane's backstory. That's it.

And did a 10/10 job writing it. It was a major part of the story arc honestly.

Also someone said take glass cannon. Glass cannon is honestly shit except on explorer, the chain CC you get off it is ridiculous for the action points. You have to preposition the fight perfectly to make it work and that almost takes the fun out of it when you are just playing a fight then reloading to abuse knowing the spawn positions.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The hints in this game are so fucking vague and cryptic,you fart in a random place and it unlocks a quest and that journal makes it even worse,because you don't know if the damn quest is bugged or you need to do something else to complete,it never tells you something useful.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't know how this game got a 10 by gamespot. Divinity is generic as fuck tolkien setting with stories like become the dragon become god. I guess eurofags eat this shit up or something.
I don't get why people shit on generic Tolkienesque settings. Tolkien is actually pretty deep, fluff-wise, and I'm not even a fan. My issue with the Divinity setting is that it's very theme park-y. It's got some generic stuff piled up on top of weird shit and it's all passed off as normal, somehow. I'm not sending D:OS2 down the river based on it, because D:OS2 would likely have been pretty good no matter the setting, but honestly, I think the setting could use a full reboot.

Just.. start over in a new setting, built from scratch. I don't really hate the setting or anything, it's just that I never feel like it actually matters or is important or even relevant.

Mortmal

Arcane
Hmm just made it to Arx and I am getting the SJWism in full force... Game was "okay" until now really putting in on thick here.

I present you Ifan's writer

Now I know why Ifan suddenly wanted to shove his crossbow deep inside my turd cutter.I know we shouldn't judge people by how they look but fuck me,stop hiring these fucking weirdos

Lol, that looks weird to you? Have you been outside in the last few years?

Have an educated guess... Also never invite any female friend to post on the codex, they aren't ready for that, only one at a time to beta orbit , not more.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And did a 10/10 job writing it. It was a major part of the story arc honestly.

Agreed. Looking back Fane was probably the only thing that was interesting-ish about this game's story.

That said the writing and story is an improvement over the sheer stupidity, inaneness and utter cringe of the first game.

Also someone said take glass cannon. Glass cannon is honestly shit except on explorer, the chain CC you get off it is ridiculous for the action points.

Two more APs each turn is certainly not shit, not in this game. Plus you want to give Glass Cannon only to your ranged toons, obviously. It's not that difficult to avoid being CC'd with your Ranger, not in most situations.

Honestly from Nameless Isle on I was debating whether to give Glass Cannon to my fighters as well, due to how quickly they got stripped off their magic armour and CC'd anyway.

Then again it seems the AI "sees" that your characters are open to CC if they're Glass Cannon and uses appropriate tools instead of bashing them with auto attack soo...dunno.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I shall buy no more RPGs before making a thorough review of the development team, their hair color, edumication, eating habits, body mass indices, sexual preferences, and personal hygene. :obviously:

I reached the scene at the gallows in Driftwood. Nice setup, I like the dialogue and the voice actors' performance. The writing switches to about as serious as the game can bear. Then comes the moment when I wish this was in the smudgy 2D of the Infinity Engine. It felt like the 3D just wastes the atmosphere. Personal preference.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I actually have found that most animals that are close to quest areas offer important hints as to how to approach said areas.

Sure there's information. I disagree tho it is important in any way, shape or form. Yeah I seem to remember animals are fleshed out a tiny bit better on the Fort Joy island, but as the game progresses there's almost nothing useful or even interesting about them. I challenge you to give me ONE marginally useful animal interaction on the Nameless Isle or in Arx. ONE.

Most of the animal interaction is like that bear cub in Act 1. As someone already pointed out, they exist just to be sad.
Dog tells you about Arhu if you find it's ball.

Pet Pal is great. Not great in every act since only in act 2 it opens all these quests, but still worked on very well.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I present you Ifan's writer
I play with Beast, Ifan & Loise now and I find Ifan to be the least obnoxious character in the whole game. Sure there's romance but it's not peeking on lizards fuck or giving Fane a bone. Frankly I am enjoying playing the game much more as dwarf with this party than when I had edgy lizard, edgy elf and edgy undead in my party. Loise is kinda dumb but Ifan & Beast, if you want someone who are not obnoxious about everything all the time they're good choice. I drink with Ifan all the time too, bonus points. Sadly companions have uneven writing like no editor ever went through them (Loise is the only character you can chat about other NPCs, Beast has no lines, Ifan has 5+ random interactions compared to 0 of others and so on).

Sjukob

Arcane
Just finished the game . The last battle was much easier than I thought , arrow storm is indeed an " I win " button .
Eo_CApp_2017_09_28_02_31_44_87.png

Now , what do I think of it ? It's a pretty fun game , I recommend you to try it .

Apparently, my post has reached Plebbit, and it's reactions are all too painfully predictable. Still, surprising that there's actually some people there that seem to have taken the time to read it. I think my favourite part is either the guy that TLDR:d it but clearly hadn't understood some of the sections and why I said it couldn't be TLDR:d, and then the faggots that start arguing based on that TLDR instead of the actual post, or the guy that literally and overtly cares more about the delivery and his virtue signalling than any of the arguments.

I'm honestly shocked that nobody has gone HE'S A FUCKING NAZI REEEEEE yet. Hope for humanity?

I especially like how you can't spend five minutes on reddit without someone calling someone else "toxic".

Saving for posterity since reddit threads containing "negativity" sometimes disappear misteriously:

morsk said:
This isn't just TLDR, it's bloated by 80% or more. It's seriously the worst writing I've seen in a month.

I actually read it, but for anyone else considering, do yourself a favor. Read the first 4 paragraphs, then stop and consider whether going farther is something you want to do. That's 4 solid paragraphs that say nothing but platitudes about "discussion" that every adult has heard 100 times. Then scroll down and see how long the rest of it is going to be.

wow___justwow said:
That's 4 solid paragraphs that say nothing but platitudes about "discussion"

I copy pasted it into a word counter.

It's 6,842 words. Also the first four paragraphs contain this gem:

I absolutely adored D:OS1 and think it was one of the best co-op experiences I've ever had in a game, and while I doubt that D:OS2 will reach that same level

So you can safely discount his opinions completely knowing that you are dealing with a, uh, very special person. I'm glad he included this "I have no idea what i'm talking about" disclaimer early so I saved any time that might have been wasted on reading further into this essay dissertation.

WireLord said:
Yeah it's a bit verbose, but you're allowed to be critical of the things you enjoy. I don't agree with everything, but he has good points on most of it.
I don't see how "me no want to read" is a reason to disregard the problems the game has.

wow__justwow said:
Every game has problems. It's one thing to sit down and rationally discuss them. It's another to go on a seven thousand word rant.

I'm angry at you for forcing me to re open this shit show, but here are some examples

deep into the barrel of uninspiring, lackluster and useless

laughably bad

borderline psychotic

It's not just bad, it's conceptually and mechanically unforgivable

It deserves it's own little special layer of hell

It's depressing! It's downright pathetic!

This person is not being critical. This person is throwing a seven thousand word temper tantrum and should be treated as you would any toddler that is throwing a temper tantrum - totally ignored.

olRedditUser said:
The guy is overly verbose but inside of all those words he still makes many good points.

There is no reason to discount everything he says because you dislike his writing style.

wow__justwow said:
There is no reason to discount everything he says because you dislike his writing style.

Pedantic toxicity is not a writing style. As I've made abundantly clear - and anyone who attempts to read this post can tell - this person is throwing a temper tantrum. I will not engage, read or attempt to understand the point of view of someone who is acting (writing) like an entitled brat.

cannabanana0420 said:

:lol:

"I will not read this post but here are some examples from all through the text"

Last edited:
Is there a way to edit your save games, characters in particular? Or get some gold at least. I don't want to start over, but I went completely ham with my builds and purchases in the first act. Slowly but steadily the second act is turning into a rapefest, not the good kind either.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Is there a way to edit your save games, characters in particular? Or get some gold at least. I don't want to start over, but I went completely ham with my builds and purchases in the first act. Slowly but steadily the second act is turning into a rapefest, not the good kind either.
There's 100% free and at-any-time respeccing available in a bit, just keep playing. The game needed that extra piece of hand-holding and retard-proofing, apparently.

cannondwarf

Scholar
You can get free gold(tm) by checking the amount of gold a merchant has, putting that amount into a bag, selling that bag for all their gold(this is important), and then buying back the bag with your own cash. Now you have all their gold!

There's 100% free and at-any-time respeccing available in a bit, just keep playing. The game needed that extra piece of hand-holding and retard-proofing, apparently.

Yeah, my bad for not peering into the future. In the first act the power curve is pretty straightforward, both skills and weapons wise, it gets all out of whack past the 10th lvl. Initially there's 1-2 dmg difference on weps and armor values are on the low end as well (the best armor I got out of the first act at lvl 9 had 56/11 values on it, it was a unique from the last boss), then I got a bunch of free xp in driftwood, which pushed me to lvl 12. Everything costs 2k+ now and values on armor have doubled, over just 3 levels. Weps are pushing up to 50% increase in some cases, with just 3 lvls difference. Not to mention that I get hit for 300~ on average, the only reason I can actually survive (on some of my undergeared characters) past the first turn is because of the Comeback Kid talent.

TEVzX93.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So Sebille told me to get fucked on the ship, does that mean my storyline with her is over? The quest isn't failed status and I didn't do the Stingtail shit with her because the drugged up lizard was cool and she was a bitch, so if it's over I think I'll just kill her to get my stuff back.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just did the big fight on the black pits with the fire and oil slimes and whatnot. Wow. What a horrible, horrible garbage slog of a fight. It was piss easy and incredibly annoying at the same time. Truly a feat.

On a side note, I respeced my mage into a support/tank warpriest and now I have almost no magical damage. So far everything became much easier. I'm beginning to doubt the game actually punishes this kind of "gamey" playstyle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom