Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

_

too tired for voting but here are some observations.

---
Vitellius, Domitian and Varys: Against
Esja, Motierre and Gracchus: For

Motierre and Gracchus (possibly Esja too) seems to form a bloc time and time again. Remember when Gracchus turned warmonger just as Motierre did when we were debating a cavalry strike against Windhelm? My hypothesis is that these cocksucks have formed a conspiracy. Since mercenaries are loyal primarily to their paymaster, they would primarily be loyal to Gracchus, and besides we might need resources elsewhere. I tentatively vote 1B.

Speaking of which, I think Domitian is also a coupist but I think his scheme is separate from Motierre's. The fact that Motierre kept a coded message bearing his name makes me think that he was keeping tabs on Domitian but I think the latter is probably more interested in an old-fashioned military takeover as opposed to Motierre+Gracchus' game of thrones.

(2A) Domitian - This can only be accomplished by taking him with you to replace General Tullius as provisional commander in Skyrim. Can't just take the Marshal of All Tamriel along for nothing.
(2B) Varys - Take the spymaster with you.
(2C) Esja - Makes sense to bring the Nordic representative to Skyrim.
(2D) Gracchus - Fat and greedy -- talk about great company.
(2E) Vitellius - What good does bringing an accountant do?

really there are three reasonable choices here: Domitian, Varys, and Gracchus.

Domitian: some of you might remember that this guy's attempted machinations to secretly bolster the strength of one of the legions near the capital. I interpreted that as him planning a coup d'etat and I still believe that is the likeliest assumption to make. Also, the letter penned by a "Domitian" in Motierre's possession referenced "cooking" (keep in mind it was in code so could be entirely bullshit, incl. fake names etc) which makes me think of poison. Anyway, replacing Tullius with this guy seems to be a really shitty idea but it could be some insane 24D Royal Game of Ur shit. Consider the following: not only do we keep an eye on him, we also uproot him from any established connections he might have in Cyrodil. If he is in fact planning a coup, he must have a lot of influence over the legions stationed in Cyrodil, so transfering him to Skyrim seems like it would cuck&fuck his plans. It must also be said that Domitian does kind of trust us (in that he thought we were stupid enough to use as a middleman in his machinations) and since he thought us important to his plans it is unlikely that he was the person responsible for the attempts on our life.

Varys: We know he cannot be trusted and that he has his own agenda but we have no idea what the fuck that is. Also, ASOIAF readers will appreciate that this guy is probably the smartest person in Tamriel at this point. Again, there is an opportunity here to disrupt whatever his machinations are by displacing him and perhaps even benefit from his experience in Skyrim, but do we want this? I don't know.

Gracchus: I am like 100% certain this guy is up to no good and, judging by the voting patterns, probably is involved with Motierre. Likely for selfish reasons. war is profitable and every revolution must be funded. reminds me of Caesar's chum that funded his shit, what was his name again? Anyway, this tub of lard could be useful because he is obviously weak and probably will feel extremely out of place in a fucking warzone. By taking him with us we could not only keep an eye on him but potentially put pressure on him, break him, maybe use him to get at Motierre or figure out what the hell is going on.

MercantileInterest can we ask the Emperor "why did you appoint Domitian marshal?" before we make the decision on who to bring with us?

Also, tentatively voting 3B. I mean, we have one shot at this, so we might as well make sure that this artifact carries maximum impact.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
1B
2C>2D
undecided, but breaking up that potential voting block has merit.
3B - let's know what we're talking about

What do we know of Esja? My first reaction was to pick her.

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
1B - If Motierre is fearful of a specific outcome, voting against him seems like a good idea. Of course, he could be counting on that, knowing of our animosity.
2A - Can't risk leaving him in the capital to hustle unobserved.
3B - No rush, if we can keep and ace up our sleeve and simultaneously increase it's value, why not?

You know what, let's do 2D - Gracchus.

Bringing Domitian is too risky because of the upheaval that replacing Tullius might bring and besides we would be giving Domitian immediate command over a larger force, even if he doesn't have as much personal influence over it. Plus we've already foiled his plan to reinforce one of the Cyrodillian legions.

Varys is, as I said, an unknown quantity, but doesn't appear to be working with Motierre&Gracchus.

Bringing Esja is dangerous. If she is not a conspirator, her influence in Skyrim could be helpful. If she is one, however, it can get us all killed. If Domitian is (arguably) more powerful in the Imperial City than in Skyrim, she is much the opposite.

But Gracchus....

Septimus Gracchus earned much gold trading. His loans buttressed the empire in the dark days after the Great War. By canceling these debts, he won both popular appeal and a high position in the government.

Gracchus' words roll smoothly as oil.

You push the double doors apart. All heads swivel around. No one interrupts an Elder Council. Gracchus flinches.

"Yes," Gracchus leans forward. "We have a chance to win this war quickly. If those two legions rapidly advance to Windhelm, they can break the siege. Without a single victory or city conquered, King Robert's army will likely not follow him any farther."

"Yes, but we don't know where Ulfric has placed his armies." The old soldier raises his voice. "Forests grow along the eastern sides of the Throat of the World. An ambush there could easily overwhelm our cavalry."

"The general knows of what he speaks." Esja says. "We can't hope to hold Whiterun hold without our horse."

"Now is not the time for cowardice." Says Motierre. "We have to strike a hammer blow on these invaders. Your majesty, allow me to send orders north."

Vitellius, Domitian and Varys: Against
Esja, Motierre and Gracchus: For

Gracchus is a bloated monger who bought his way onto the Council and is now conspiring with Motierre. He is the most obvious threat and also one most out of his element, the easiest one to break. Imagine this oiled-up fatty in the cold mountains of Skyrim. Out of his comfort zone he will start making mistakes, or perhaps cling to Motierre, so that we might be able to keep an eye on both at once or use Gracchus to compromise Motierre. Gracchus might use his wealth to bribe people around him, but we can dip into it as well.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
2C>2D
Voting post updated. I'm going with my first impulse. Big E asked who we mistrust the most. Gracchus' motivations are clear. Varys is an unknown, but I hope his plans run counter to Motierre and the Marshall.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
1B For reasons stated before
2 Toough one - bringing Gracchus along might postpone some of their scheming, but it does not gains us new friends. Varys coould be an asset in many ways in the long run but has little authority here and bringing him along might make others suspicious. Lets go with
2D
3A
We keep it secret and safe for now..

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
B Yar, shiver me timbers! Armies on the move need supplies. Disrupted supply lines will be much more helpful than a few more boots, or webbed feet in this case, on the ground.

B - The Westerosi are crossing an ocean(?) to get here, so their supply lines are hella stretched and vulnerable I would assume. That being said, tough choice because winning the Emperor's favor is something we would like very much. Then again, the stone of Barenziah can do just that. Plus 1. it would take a very long time for the lizards to get here 2. it would also make it very obvious to the Emperor's retinue that we are not the idiot we pretend to be.

Theory time: perhaps Motierre's (or Varys'?) plan is to sideline/weaken the Emperor, essentially set him up to lose the war early, and when the Westerosi realize that they do not have the infrastructure to govern Tamriel the plotters rise up and restructure under a new government. Perhaps this is what Tywin fears.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Control over the Rift not only would limit King Robert's movements from Windhelm but would also provide a buffer between the province and the enemy army in Morrowind.

On the other hand, leaving the Emperor is unfortunate. However...

"The emperor departs tomorrow. I don't fancy him going without my counsel."

"That is unfortunate." The eunuch says. "Lord Motierre has fallen so ill he won't be able to accompany his majesty either. In fact, the emperor is so greatly worried about his loyal servant's health, he has allowed me to personally oversee the man's recovery. I very greatly fear he won't be better for some time."

Note that we didn't bring up Motierre - Varys did. In other words, he knows that the reason why we are uncomfortable with leaving the Emperor alone is that we fear Motierre's worm tonguing his royal butthole with lies and corruption. Varys is more or less implying that he will deal with Motierre - that Motierre is our mutual concern. He is effectively doing us a massive favor. It seems smart to accept his request in return: Varys, much like us, only values people for their utility so cooperating with him, if only this once, could be a good way to avoid ending up as a casualty in his future machinations.

Besides, we need allies and while we know that Varys has an agenda, we know that it is unlikely to be the same as the usual suspects'.

So,

B
+
this gives us the free time we need to read up on the prophecy and perfect our plan to turn the Emperor into the God-Ruler of the Divine Tamrielic Empire. Or perhaps not, if we are going to spend every minute traveling?

Or this is a set-up and Varys has already informed the Stormcloaks in Riften of our arrival and we are going to rot in a jail somewhere as the Emperor gets assassinated and the new administration is formed without us. But hey, that kind of thinking is too paranoid...right?

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I'm inclined to agree. Not sure I like this bit: "You needn't act." His tone drops even lower. "I saw through it some time ago, though not at once." Varys lets us know he sees through our charade and adds a bit of compliment. He's buttering us up a bit.

B

But who will be with the Emperor? Motierre is staying behind.

I'm inclined to agree. Not sure I like this bit: "You needn't act." His tone drops even lower. "I saw through it some time ago, though not at once." Varys lets us know he sees through our charade and adds a bit of compliment. He's buttering us up a bit.

But who will be with the Emperor? Motierre is staying behind.

Well, we already knew that Varys saw through our ruse a long time ago. But yes, the compliment was kind of pointless and patronizing, but such is the way of the eunuch.

As for the Emperor, I assume the retinue would include Penitus Occulati and while they are not infallible, they are probably harder to buy than regular soldiers. Also Gracchus, I guess? I feel comfortable leaving Gracchus with the Emperor since I doubt the latter has any respect for the former.
MercantileInterest is Cockmander Maro going to accompany the Emperor? He is probably more trustworthy than his men. Probably.

I'm glad you are feeling better, FurrcantileYiffterest.

The Nord is probably Motierre's handiwork. Oh well.

1B - going as ourselves is stupid. First of all, as established, we have fuck-all influence (going with youthful genius during chargen meant we have no influence but all the talent). Taking on a disguise will allow us freedom in how we present ourselves. Remember that one time we got kidnapped: our foppish persona and reputation only hinders us outside of the palace, and that is to say nothing of our family which the commoners despise.

Not sure about 2. on one hand, protection is always nice. On another hand, Penitus Oculati are bodyguards and intelligence officers, not spies. They might be too unsubtle. They might (will) report everything to Maro which might be problematic in case we need to make deals with enemies of the state or whatever.

Also not sure about 3. To say that Master Archie will tell Varys of everything we do is to say nothing at all. The question is, is dumping him worth losing him as a source of intel? I doubt this decision will affect our standing with Varys, though. We are both practical people; he'd understand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom