Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout is 20 years old today!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, I pity the fools who didn’t find Fallout until recently.

When I was 12, a few months before it came out, my dad brought home a newspaper clipping of a story about this new RPG in development, but instead of orcs and goblins it had supermutants with rocket launchers. I downloaded the demo immediately, but had to wait until Christmas to get the actual game nearly two agonizing months after release.

I stayed up until dawn playing and my sleep cycle has never been the same since. I can’t even imagine not experiencing the 97-01 renaissance firsthand.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Wow, what the fuck even Infinitron didn't play on release?

I played it in 98 from pirated copy a classmate got who the fuck knows where, I was 11, knew no english, so I got to Boneyard and got stuck...year later it came out bundled on gaming magazine with translation and entire fucking classroom played it, I remember how bad ass I was when I got into Brotherhood..the Glow, what an amazing atmospheric location, mind blown..

Year later Fallout 2 came out bundled with Level again, also translated, bought it before school so I had to suffer all day in class knowing the game is in my backpack...god the suffering was endless..came finally home, played it on my Pentium 100, finished it like four times despite the game running like shit on it (particularly in New Reno and other big locations)...best game ever.

I remember reading the reviews for both games in magazine Score again and again..the guy reviewing the first game in Score number 50 gave it 9 and said "you do not play Fallout. You live Fallout" and he was on point.

To this day there is probably not RPG besides Arcanum and New Vegas that offers this scope of interaction and player agency...I love Witchers and Vampire Bloodlines etc etc but god dammit Tim Cain and Leon better be making another Fallout-like RPG, preferably with AAA production values because I am a spoiled motherfucker these days.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I pity the fools who didn’t find Fallout until recently.

Pity? I wish I could experience it all for the first time again, I'm actually a bit jealous. :D

Absolutely pity. I’d love to wipe my memory and replay them, but I feel like I dodged a bullet given that the era of great RPGs ended right when I got out of puberty. If something that immersive came out now I’d never stop playing and my girlfriend would cut my balls, like she almost did over New Vegas.

Ladonna

Arcane
I remember reading my local PC magazine back in '96, and it had a special about the upcoming spiritual successor to Wasteland, with some screenshots included. Since I loved Wasteland, I jotted it down as a buy for release day. As soon as it came out, I went down the games shop and there was a shiny new Fallout box, quite different looking to the others, and I purchased it and began playing that day. I loved the game, and replayed it about three times in a row, however....

Apart from enjoying the game, my first two thoughts were; It is quite a short game, and apart from better graphics and sound, along with a more coherent story and world, it is basically a mechanically watered down Wasteland with a similar plot progression featuring mutants with a freaky mutant master and his pre war Vats rather than a skynet type AI and robots being churned out in a pre war factory. I feel bad now for thinking this way, but at the time, those were my thoughts.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I played Fallout shortly after Morrowind, but it took quite a few attempts before it finally clicked on me.

It must have been amazing for its time, nowadays it's "meh" and it's only objective redeeming feature nowadays is how good of a complete package it is. Aside from the fucking annoying bugs that apparently plagued the franchise way before Bethesda got a hold of it, iit is a very polished game. It has a handful of annoying things that FO2 for the most part corrected, though.

I do think it is very short, which is a damn shame since I think New Vegas is the only Fallout game which has followed its style for the most part. I'm playing FO2 at the moment and it is a very disappointing Fallout experience.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I missed Fallout when it was released and only hopped on board the Late 90s RPG Revival(tm) train with Baldur's Gate a year later, something which I feel very regretful for. Even playing it just a few years later (I think it must have been around 2001), it could never be the same.
I don't think I agree. I bought the game some time around 1997 or 1998 (it was the UK version too so it must've been from Europe but I have no recollection of actually buying it) and the CD sat there for years and years untouched while I kept telling myself I really should get to it at some point. I only played it after joining the Codex, and after having already gone through Arcanum, ToEE, the BGs, the IWDs, and even bloody Oblivion. I could still immediately feel how unique the game was and I enjoyed it immensely, much more than the sequel. I never felt that I'd have perceived the game differently had I played it 12 years earlier.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I bought it some Friday in late 1997 and inhaled it that weekend. I loved the timer it made me play aggressively. I liked that the game was small, as it left me wanting more. It annoys me when people say they want a bigger game, just because bigger is better. A game should end when the story ends, just like an excellent book or short story should not be artificially inflated to meet a given word count.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I saw reviews for it when it first came out and wanted it bad. Never got it though until later when I was in college, in the year 2000.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is now a Fallout 20th anniversary megathread.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-2/fallout-2-wasteland

How Fallout 2's wild wasteland came to define a series

This article is part of our week-long celebration of Fallout's 20th anniversary. Make sure you check back throughout the week for more features.

Grotesque monsters. A campy ‘Space Race’ aesthetic. Stories that unfold subtly and organically, based on how you play. A lot of Fallout’s core characteristics we nowadays take for granted. But back in 1997, when a small, now-defunct studio called Black Isle were just starting out, the classic Fallout style was far from recognisable.

The first game had sold reasonably well, but the critical response had been feverish; hoping to capitalise on the Fallout buzz, Black Isle’s publisher, Interplay, quickly commissioned a sequel. Bigger, better, and with much more for players to do, development on Fallout 2 also had to be completed inside nine months. For Feargus Urquhart, co-director of Fallout 1 and one of Black Isle’s founders, the nuclear heat was on.

“We'd started working on Fallout 2 before we'd even shipped Fallout 1,” he tells me. “That was in the middle of 1997. By the beginning of 1998, when Interplay was having some financial difficulties, they decided they wanted to make Fallout 2 and make it in the same amount of time as the original, and as far as they were concerned, we'd already been developing it for half a year already. So that gave us basically nine months to make the whole game.”

fallout%202%20chosen%20one.jpg

“Fallout 1 was amazing,” continues Eric DeMilt, Fallout 2's producer. “It really knocked it out the park. But Interplay launched it right before launching Baldur's Gate, and in terms of revenue, Baldur's Gate absolutely smoked Fallout - Fallout initially sold something like 200,000 units while Baldur's Gate sold like a million. And it was a much bigger game. So when we kicked off Fallout 2, there was the ambition to make it as big as Baldur's Gate, and that's where a lot of the pressure came from.”

As well as a hectic development schedule, that extra pressure led to Black Isle creating and calcifying what would become some of the Fallout series' most-famous trademarks. In the case of dynamic, fleshed-out characters, this was on purpose. In the case of bizarre and often hilarious glitches, it was by accident.

“I remember being in a meeting with Interplay's sales and marketing people,” explains Urquhart, “and them kind of looking at what we had done so far on Fallout 2, and asking 'well, what's new?' They specifically wanted to improve the colour palette, jump from 256 colours to 16-bit. But [Interplay co-founder] Brian Fargo opened up and said 'look, Fallout is awesome. We're making more Fallout. It's like a sequel to a movie. It's all about the story and the characters’.

fallout22.jpg

“And so we started focusing on an antagonist who, compared to The Master from Fallout 1, would appear in the game earlier on. The player would see him doing horrible things but not be able to interact, and that gave more of a sense of who he was and what he was doing. We also wanted to have Companions evolve a little more, In Fallout 1, the Companions were always the same as when you 'got' them. In Fallout 2, they levelled up with you.”

“Another idea,” continues programmer Dan Spitzley, “was giving players this car, where they could store items in the trunk. The way we implemented that was to basically categorise the trunk as a companion - the game would think of the trunk as a companion. But that meant sometimes the trunk would disconnect from the car and kind of ‘walk around’ behind the player. You'd be on the third floor of a Vault or something, and the trunk would suddenly turn up next to you. It turned out to be a huge issue.”

To meet their tight production schedule, designers would often have to draft huge game areas and then move quickly onto the next, leaving vast portions of Fallout 2 sparse or underpopulated, right up until its release date. It was a harried way of working, but it actually helped to cultivate Fallout's absurdist visual style; with swathes of the map still requiring characters, missions, and other playable material right down to the last minute, Fallout 2's artists and programmers were creatively set loose, and developed appropriately strange ideas.

ffallout%202.jpg

“I basically sat down and thought up everything and anything I could to fill these spaces,” Spitzley says. “That's where a lot of the crazier stuff, like the treasure-hunting dwarf or the Radscorpion that played chess, ended up coming from.”

Characters’ talking heads, seen up-close during cutscenes and conversations, were animated using 3D clay models and a laser scanner - the resulting dialogue sequences, all big eyebrows and facial tics, helped define Fallout’s amusing, chunky aesthetic. To lighten the long, sometimes intense working days, Black Isle’s designers were encouraged to add-in easter eggs, and nods to their favourite films. As a result, Fallout 2 teemed with references to popular culture, as would Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4.

From its varied and bizarre cast to darkly humorous writing, several aspects of the Fallout series’ now-famous style were cultivated in Fallout 2. Other Fallout rules gradually emerged. Urquhart and the other directors developed ways to both encourage and direct players’ exploration.

fallout2.jpg

“We had a big map of all of Fallout 2,” he explains, “and we sketched out the route we thought the player was most likely to take, and discussed exactly what quests they were likely to have done, what equipment they would have by that point, and so on.

“If players travelled to an area and didn’t have the stuff we expected them to have, we made it difficult for them to get into that area: the enemies would be too tough, so they would probably turn around and go back. But we could only do that a certain number of times. If players hit too many walls they’d get frustrated and then stop. So another way we tried to kind of compartmentalise player choice, in each area we’d offer a lot of choices, but most of them would only affect that specific area - there weren’t many choices that affected the whole of the rest of the game world. That way the game could still feel rich and we could control the exponential growth of choices. Designers of one area didn’t have to worry about everything the player might do in another. Even today, we still follow the same rules.”

Other lessons were harder learned. As if to illustrate not all Fallout bugs would be weird, funny or cool, when it came to patching Fallout 2, a quirk in the game’s saving and loading system meant that old data couldn’t be loaded into new versions of the game. Essentially, every patch meant forcing Fallout 2’s entire player base to start the game over.

fallout%202%20star%20wars.jpg

“We worked hard to fix those things,” Urquhart explains, “but a large part of my job, especially for the first six weeks after release, was basically customer service. I put my email address in the patch notes and said 'if you find anything wrong, email me’. I don't know how many messages I got.”

Regardless, Fallout 2 reviewed well and made back its budget several times over. Black Isle’s ruthless production schedule, combined with its inventive and unbridled designers, helped solidify the Fallout style we recognise today: though games have gotten bigger and more expensive, Fallout still feels unusual, colourful, and full of new ideas. The Suffolk County Charter School, an area in Fallout 4 where it is revealed schoolchildren were sent insane by eating a hallucinogenic pink ooze, is testimony to the weirdness, humour, and horror influenced by Fallout 2.

“Back then there was collaboration,” DeMilt says. “Our team was pretty small and there were no strict guidelines for how things got done. It was a like a Wild West development style -if you had an idea and could get it into Fallout, then we'd say 'yep, do it’.”

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
My first fallout was fallout 3 back in 2008. I was 15 yrs old.

I liked it.

Then in 2011 new vegas came out and it blew my mind even moresl than fallout 3.

3 was like any other bethesda games, new vegas was beyond that.

Then a year later in 2012 i finally tried fallout 1. Took some time to get into it, but after you got over the more complex UI and slow pacing, i found one of my favorite games ever. A gem shining underneath a muck of shit and poisons.

HBD fallout :love:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'm one the FO1 demo enthusiasts. That's how i got into turn-based CRPGs. Installed the demo that I got from some magazine back in the day and holy shit. How is it possible that this game is so amazing?
I believe it took me some months to actually get the full game but ho-boy was that nice when it happened.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-tactics-brotherhood-of-steel/fallout-tactics-sequel

Why the time is right for a Fallout: Tactics sequel

This article is part of our week-long celebration of Fallout's 20th anniversary. Make sure you check back throughout the week for more features.

Fallout: Tactics is the black sheep of the series. It is a bit of a rebel, you see, forgoing a sprawling open world packed with curiosities and quests, and opting instead for a linear storyline with drastically reduced roleplaying scope. It also breaks a lot of the established Fallout lore and stretches its aesthetic a little too far into the modern day with named vehicles and firearms like the Hummer and M249 SAW breaking the immersion for many Fallout fans. Strip all of those idiosyncrasies away, however, and you can’t argue the appeal of a turn-based tactical game set in the Fallout universe - modern-day XCOM with power armour and Deathclaws. Who wouldn’t want to see the Mysterious Stranger show up to correct RNG misfortunes?

It has been 16 years since Fallout: Tactics attempted to deliver on that rather extraordinary premise - it failed, but the pairing of Fallout’s retro-futuristic charm with the combat of XCOM: Enemy Unknown deserves another shot.

Fallout%20tactics%20vehicles%20sequel.jpg

And why not? Turn-based tactical games are in the best place they have been since the mid-’90s. They are more mainstream than ever. The successful reinvention of the XCOM franchise over the past few years helped a lot, but it has been bolstered by indie titles like Massive Chalice, Frozen Synapse, Xenonauts, The Banner Saga, and most recently the triumphant player count of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Even Mario has stuck his oar in with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, which is a useful benchmark for the mainstream appeal of this relatively niche genre.

A sequel to Fallout: Tactics could benefit from the experience and criticisms of the first game: a bit more restraint in the art department, a storyline that is worth following, and some drastic improvements to the RPG elements of the original. Even now, the squad-based tactical gameplay holds up remarkably well, a bonus of the game’s individual turn-based mechanics being lifted straight from its unanimously lauded predecessors. Poring over decisions like where to position recruits and who to give the best weapons never feels like a waste of time. Firefights are won by covering every angle, always having a network of interlocking fire, and making the most of the Overwatch mode. Thanks to the openness of map areas and the number of foes, it pays to have a rearguard equipped with shotguns, ready to open fire on any flanking enemies. It is enormously satisfying when that level of planning is rewarded with an easy kill.

fallout%20tactiucs%20combat%202%20sequel.jpg

What holds Fallout: Tactics back is its narrative and RPG elements, the former being far too linear, the latter lacking any sense of constraint. Choice has been a staple of Fallout since the first game but Fallout: Tactics does little to mesh moral decisions with its storyline, offering a smattering of possible endings based on a crudely implemented karma system. Recent Fallout games have provided the ideal example for a Fallout: Tactics sequel to follow, offering a host of faction-locked missions for the player to delve into depending on who they want to help: themselves, the Brotherhood of Steel, or the region’s civilian population.

Some of Fallout: Tactics’ RPG systems could be polished up or overhauled as well, with stats like Charisma and skills like Pilot being largely inconsequential in the original. Other missteps include having both a First Aid and Doctor skill to ensure maximum confusion for new players, not to mention a number of easily exploitable skills like Gambling and Lockpick. Again, Bethesda’s recent Fallout titles have done an admirable job of discarding niche skills to ensure it never feels like you are wasting skill points - no build in Fallout 4 feels unfeasible, whereas a number of recruits you can pick up in Fallout: Tactics are useful only as cannon fodder.

fallout%20tactics%202%20sequel.jpg

These issues are far from terminal, and in the years since the release of Fallout: Tactics we have seen countless examples from both the Fallout and XCOM series as to how these shortcomings can be remedied.

Fallout: Tactics also stands out for its accessibility. By gutting the bulk of non-combat options, developers Micro Forté made the first entry in the series that could be tackled and fully experienced by RPG newcomers. Combat can be sluggish, some skills and perks tricky to figure out, but Tactics promises not to swallow up the player with systems and mechanics at every turn. Likewise, its linearity ensures you can’t take a wrong turn and wind up in an irradiated ditch with the last save some several hours back.

fallout%20tactics%20get%20sequel.jpg

Fallout is no longer the fledgling IP it was when Tactics released, it is a triple-A series with a shelf life to rival that of a box of YumYum Deviled Eggs. Poor sales and lukewarm critical reception led to plans for a Fallout: Tactics sequel being shelved in the pre-production stage. In 2004, Interplay released the forgettable and utterly meritless Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, nailing the coffin lid shut on their time with the universe - Bethesda bought the IP in 2007. Fallout is now a mainstream series with some serious financial heft behind it, which makes it an ideal candidate for spin-offs and experimentation. The publisher has already tried its hand at making an MMO and a CCG out of The Elder Scrolls IP. And Fallout Shelter, a free-to-play curiosity that has recently surpassed 100 million players across PC, mobile, and Xbox One, demonstrates that success can be mined from focusing on particular aspects of the apocalyptic fiction.

If we are not going to get a snappy follow-up to Fallout 4 à la New Vegas - which is understandable given how much time, money, and manpower it takes to create a game of that scope - then now is the perfect time to see a new Fallout: Tactics. XCOM: The Enemy Unknown has shown us all how turn-based tactical combat should look in a modern-day game. Replace the aliens with super mutants, keep the bombed out urban environments, and strap some power armour onto the XCOM operatives, and you’ve got a match made in heaven. Moreover, a Fallout: Tactics sequel offers fans of the Fallout universe something they haven’t had since the first game: a structured, 15-hour peek at a new region of post-apocalyptic America that they can tackle over the course of a weekend; a new flavour of the wild wasteland without all the trappings of its titanic forefathers.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The only reason FT get sequel is because DivOS2 and nuXCOM2 do same thing like Legend of Grimrock to spawn these real time dancing games

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If one thing put me off from Fallout: Tactics, it is the fact it uses real life portraits as opposed to the drawings of FO1's player characters, or the 3D models from FO2's.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I beat Fallout last year and enjoyed it. Tried it two or three times over the past 4 years or so, but kept droppoing for whatever reason. It's a very small RPG, but the available options and the way it presents itself makes you feel like you've played something twice as big. Also the soundtrack is very good, still listen to it once in a while.

Then I played Fallout 2 and dropped it halfway through. Will give it another try later.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I beat Fallout last year and enjoyed it. Tried it two or three times over the past 4 years or so, but kept droppoing for whatever reason. It's a very small RPG, but the available options and the way it presents itself makes you feel like you've played something twice as big. Also the soundtrack is very good, still listen to it once in a while.

Then I played Fallout 2 and dropped it halfway through. Will give it another try later.
why?

Fallout 2 is basically fallout 2 with less coherent theme, and it is more theme park-y, but still fun to play and way more content

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom